[1.0.2][May17] SelectRoot2: Fixing stock awkwardness

FW Industries

FW Industries, great work. Combined with the SubAssembly plugin this is a real timesaver.

Question: Regular sized clamp-o-tron docking ports work fine as the root part, but not "Clamp-O-Tron Sr.". Are either of these intended behaviors? (Neither is 'meant' to be a root part)

I have become frustrated with not being able to make a senior docking port the root. Looking at the .cfg and the code it seems that the problem is as a result of the large port not allowing radial attachments (the small one does). However that raises a question, why does this mod only allow a part to be root is it allows stack attachments, AND surface AND has "full" physical significance (what does that mean??):

private bool CanBeRoot(Part part)

{

var prefab = part.partInfo.partPrefab;

return prefab.attachRules.allowStack

&& prefab.attachRules.allowSrfAttach

&& prefab.physicalSignificance == Part.PhysicalSignificance.FULL;

}

Surely any part can be root - the tree just gets rehung. Could you please explain that bit of the code?

Cheers

[...]Surely any part can be root - the tree just gets rehung. Could you please explain that bit of the code?

Well, I don't actually know. I just enforced the same restrictions as stock KSP. The problem with those parts seems to be that you can't reattach anything to them once you remove stuff.

Anyway, I built a new version removing those restrictions. Not sure if it'll be useful but feel free to report any problems you run into.

Anyway, I built a new version removing those restrictions. Not sure if it'll be useful but feel free to report any problems you run into.

Yay!. I missed the new release. I will have a play when I get a chance to pause real life...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey! I'm the one who wrote the python thing, didn't know you had already written just what I needed, and it worked *inside* VAB! (I don't know nothing about creating mods).

I used it lots, and found a bug that may be related to the mod but I can't see why. I got this file

https://mega.co.nz/#!bcJzVAgR!Fa85Ky8m8szpG6bQniUJJmGMYbtWLCgColGkta0oD6k

whick is a crane with a rover. Was created separately, joined with subassembly manager, and had several more edits using select root, mainly switching roots between the top clamp-o-tron and the rover's octoprobe.

When the top clamp-o-tron is the root, launch, decouple the lower clamp-o-tron, it doesn't detach. Quicksave, load quicksave, and the rover spins by itself to a violent unnatural death.

When I change the root to the rover's octoprobe, the node decouples and the rover works fine.

I posted it as a bug, but they suggest it could be mod-related so I post here as well. Can you find anything abnormal in the craft file?

Edited by dronkit

Whoa! Just downloaded and tried this after some initial skepticism... Works very well! This is a must-have if you use subassemblies at all! Just re-built a complex rocket with no visible hitches at all!

Very well done!

-M5K

Whoa! Just downloaded and tried this after some initial skepticism... Works very well! This is a must-have if you use subassemblies at all! Just re-built a complex rocket with no visible hitches at all!

Very well done!

-M5K

Yes it is. I personally find it immensely helpful as a way to utilize perfect subassembly creation.

• 3 weeks later...
I've had issues with MechJeb on the same thing. In the action groups tab, if you accidentally click on a MJ UI, you can't select parts for action groups, selecting parts in build mode don't light up, and if you leave the VAB/SPH, you can't click on the buildings, and if you leave to the main menu, you can't click any of the buttons. I'm also going to post this in MechJeb topic.

From various experiments I have found this to be an issue with many plugins.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome Plugin. Just saved a lot of my time! Thanks to OP for developing this!

Aside from the awesomeness, i had a problem installing this. KSP didn't load the plugin correctly. No error messages in the debug screen and nothing happening when i do the special klick on a non-root part.

I fixed that by moving the SelectRoot.dll from KSP root folder into <KSP>/GameData/SelectRoot/SelectRoot.dll

Anyone noticing that problem too?

antbin, I know I'm responding to an old message, but I actually went into my config files and figured out how to make the bigger docking ports rootable: edit GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility\dockingPortLarge\part.cfg, change the attachRules value to 1,0,1,1,0 and poof, they can be root on the next launch.

Updated for 0.22 and fixed some old glitches. After setting a new root some things were broken:

- The highlighting that shows which parts will detach with the one being hovered over.

- Sometimes the crew manifest shows kerbals inside, but when launching they are missing.

- Undoing the operation just after setting a new root, undoes the new root as well.

These are now fixed. Well, the highlighting is already a bit broken in vanilla, but at least it's just as broken now ;)

Is there any way to make this work with in-flight ships/stations? It would make docking large objects a lot easier (no floating-point glitch to teleport your target away from you).

Guess the save file could be modified in the same way and then reloaded. Never really docked big stations. Is the problem that the root is so far from the docking port that when KSP changes origin, it messes up the position of the other craft? Can you provide a save that shows the problem?

I used it lots, and found a bug that may be related to the mod but I can't see why. I got this file https://mega.co.nz/#!bcJzVAgR!Fa85Ky8m8szpG6bQniUJJmGMYbtWLCgColGkta0oD6k

When the top clamp-o-tron is the root, launch, decouple the lower clamp-o-tron, it doesn't detach. Quicksave, load quicksave, and the rover spins by itself to a violent unnatural death. [...]

Had to remove the mumech and mapsat parts from the craft to load it, but it's detaching just fine for me, in 0.22 anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.