[AAR] The Space Race

czokletmuss

I like these kinds of stories, and given the past record for the author i have high anticipations for this one :). I do feel that it would be a little bit more fun if Wernher von Braun could be named Wernher von Grün instead if you get it ;). But then it would only be fair if Sergei Korolyov gets his green imposter in the shape of a certain Sergei Kerbalyev or something.

Regardless of what i will enjoy another fine read. :)

CHAPTER 1

1959-1961: IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

b3oNF3C.jpg

AUGUST 21th, 1959

DONNY: …three, two, ignition and we have liftoff! Little Joe 1 is on the way!

IKE: Wow.

6E4CQES.jpg

WERNHER: I told you, Mr. Prezident. Ve are making great progress and I can assure you that ve vill…

IKE: I don't want to interrupt you, doctor, but is it supposed to do this?

AJPbNos.jpg

WERNHER: Oh. Err. Yes, of course, it's just a part of our test.

DONNY: We've lost control!

WGTsFj2.jpg

IKE: Is it?

WERNHER: Naturally. Ve are just trying to, uhm, gather zome data…

DONNY: Oh my Kod, it's gonna explode!

WERNHER: …which, I may add, is vital...

DONNY: Watch out!

:KABOOM:

WERNHER: …for our future projects. Ahem.

IKE: I see. Well, you better get better results soon. After Luna 1 the Reds only continue to outrun us. We need something, doctor, and we need it now. There is a lot at stake here. Are we clear?

WERNHER: Yes, Mr. Prezident.

IKE: Good. Now, I want to see them.

WERNHER: Of course, Mr. Prezident.

IKE: Are they…?

WERNHER: Yes, Mr. Prezident. Ve spent much time on the selection process. They are ze best, ze elite.

IKE: Hmm. How did the training look like?

WERNHER: Oh, it was very demanding, Mr. Prezident. Only some members of the first group were capable of passing even the simplest tests. But ve started with a quite big initial group of candidates, so in the end, after months of extensive and rigorous training, here they are. The toughest, most intelligent and…

IKE: How hard exactly were this tests?

WERNHER: Very, Mr. President. Err. There even vere some casualties.

IKE: Oh really?

WERNHER: I'm afraid so, Mr. Prezident. But survivors turned out to be quite capable in all ze areas in which their skills vill be needed.

IKE: Yes, yes. So, that's them, right? Only three? I expected more, doctor.

WERNHER: Oh, their strength is not in the numbers, Mr. Prezident. They...

IKE: Yeah, I get it – they are unique individuals, bla bla bla. Is that what you wanted to say?

WERNHER: Err. Not really, sir. They have some problems with math.

IKE: Wouldn't that be a problem? And why orange suits? It looks silly.

WERNHER: They vill be only executing our commands, Mr. Prezident, that's all they have to do. This and survive the flight, of course. Orange colour was josen because in the worst case it vill help us identify the bodies, sir.

IKE: Interesting. Well, I wish you luck, doctor. Even with the team of such extraordinary… is he drooling?

WERNHER: Sir?

IKE: This smaller one.

WERNHER: No, no, it's impossible. Ve spent a lot of time to teach them proper behavior.

IKE: He IS drooling. Look.

WERNHER: I can't zee anything, Mr. Prezident.

IKE: And now he stick his finger into this other guy's nose!

WERNHER: Err.

IKE: Are these really the best ones? That's all we have?

WERNHER: Mr. Prezident, I…

IKE: Whatever, just shoot them into space already. What? No, I'm not hungry.

WERNHER: It's not for you, sir, it's for them. Ve have thought that you would like to…

IKE: Oh, for Kod's sake. :sigh: Alright. Give me this banana.

X7uADDZ.jpg

SEPTEMBER 14th, 1959

IKE: No, Prime Minister, you didn't “won†by hitting the Mun... Yes, amazing achievement. Yes. “Betterment of kerbalkindâ€Â? That's good. Aha. No, we don't need any help, we… they don't blow up! Besides, the proper term is “rapid unscheduled disassemblyâ€Â… you don't have it? Well, our technical dictionary is… oh, I get it. Yes. Very funny. Ha ha. I said “ha haâ€Â. Yeah, you too. Goodbye. :hangs out: KODDAMIT!

DECEMBER 4th, 1959

PA2btG4.png

DONNY: …and liftoff! Little Joe 2 is on its way!

WERNHER: Very gut.

JAMES: Doctor, are you sure that sending him without LES was a good idea?

WERNHER: LES? What is LES?

JAMES: This small rocket on top of the capsule?

WERNHER: Ah, zis thing. No, ve vill test it later when it's done. They've had some problems with it I've heard?

MAX: Well, it worked A-okay but 30g is a little too much I think.

WERNHER: Did the test monkey survived?

MAX: Hmm. Define “surviveâ€Â, doctor. Some limbs looked intact if…

DONNY: Doctor von Braun, all systems are nominal. Should we proceed with the capsule separation?

WERNHER: Ja, ja, do it.

JAMES: And?

DONNY: Wait a moment. Yes. We have confirmation, the capsule has separated.

uSQstXp.png

MAX: Nicely done. I just hope that the parachute will open.

WERNHER: Parachute? It has parachute?

JAMES: :sigh: Yes, doctor, we're testing the parachute too. I think we should…

DONNY: Parachute opened!

Y3zU24t.png

MAX: Oh. Now that's a good news.

JAMES: Good work, doctor. It's a major step forward for NASA. So, what are you planning now? Several more tests with small rocket?

DONNY: Little Joe.

JAMES: Yeah, Little Joe. Or maybe you want to test the bigger one? This Greenstone, yes?

DONNY: Redstone.

JAMES: Whatever. So, what's next? Little Joe or Redstone?

JULY 29th, 1960

JAMES: You have to be kidding me.

WERNHER: Don't vorry, I'm sure everything vill be alright. Donny, begin the countdown.

DONNY: Yes sir.

MAX: Are you sure it'll work?

WERNHER: Of course! I personally supervised all the preparations!

MAX: Really?

WERNHER: Ja! I spent all day on the Launchpad 3.

JAMES: Launchpad 3? But… we're using Launchpad 2 for this rocket.

WERNHER: Was?

DONNY: …and liftoff!

CfInV7e.jpg

JAMES: Don't tell me nobody checked out Atlas 1 before start.

WERNHER: Err.

DONNY: Oh boy.

MAX: What is it, Donny?

DONNY: We've, err, small problems with the rocket.

JAMES: :sigh: How small?

KmhvWHi.png

DONNY: Err. Quite big, actually.

MAX: Let me guess – we've lost control.

DONNY: Err, yes. Ahem.

JAMES: Great, just great. Will it hit the space center?

DONNY: Probably not.

8dzbe5o.jpg

WERNHER: You see? It vasn't that bad.

JAMES: Can we PLEASE try it with the smaller rocket next time?

NOVEMBER 21th, 1960

za9ZbDU.jpg

JAMES: Alright, I checked out everything three times. I think we're good. Max?

MAX: Same here. Okay, we may proceed. Donny, could you…

WERNHER: I vill take care of that.

JAMES: What? No, it's not the right button, you will…!

D6IwbBk.jpg

WERNHER: Oops.

MAX: Huh. I guess the explosive in the separation ring are a little too powerful. Good one, doc. James, could you… James?

JAMES: I'm fine, I just… We'll never be as good as the Reds are.

MAX: Come on, have a little faith! We have a genius on our side and whom do they have?

WERNHER: Genius? There is some genius here?

JAMES: Oh really? How come they have only success after success and we struggle to leave the launchpad?

WERNHER: If there is a genius in NASA, I vould like to meet him.

MAX: I don't know. Damn, what if they have some kind of a brilliant constructor too?

WERNHER: I've never met a genius, you know?

JAMES: Well, then we're screwed I guess.

WERNHER: It vould be very interesting experience.

MAX: At least we have doctor von Braun and his extraordinary intellect on our side.

WERNHER: I mean, how do they fit in a lamp? It's certainly worth investigating.

NOVEMBER 8th, 1960

3tBFozQ.jpg

MAX: Where's doctor Braun?

JAMES: He was looking for a “geniusâ€Â.

MAX: And?

JAMES: And he thinks “lamp†means the same as a bottle.

MAX: I don't think I follow.

JAMES: He's in the bar.

MAX: Oh.

JAMES: Since Friday.

MAX: Oh!

JAMES: Maybe we'll just take care of it, shall we? It's about time we test Launch Escape System.

MAX: Okay, I guess.

JAMES: Donny? Launch Little Joe 5.

AdmcSpG.jpg

MAX: Everything's lookin good.

JAMES: What? Impossible.

MAX: I'm serious. Take a look at this.

JAMES: Wow. It's hard to believe in. Okay then, let's test the LES.

3Nkp9MU.jpg

MAX: Err. Shouldn't the capsule detach from the rocket?

JAMES: …

MAX: Ahem. So what now?

JAMES: What would von Braun do?

MAX: Build another rocket?

JAMES: Exactly.

MAX: Sounds good. But first we should vote. It's the election day, you know.

JAMES: Oh, right. I guess blowing up public money like this shouldn't stop us voting, am I right? For whom are you going to vote?

MAX: I dunno. Maybe Kennedy?

JAMES: For real? He doesn't stand a chance, you know. I'm voting for the other guy.

MAX: Hey, it's not true! He can win.

JAMES: Wanna bet?

MAX: Sure I do.

ea6m7hd.jpg

MARCH 24th, 1961

MAX: Good morning doctor. Hello James.

JAMES: Hi.

WERNHER: Good morning. I have to tell you something!

MAX: What is it doc?

WERNHER: I did it!

MAX: Wow! You found a way to stabilize LES with the capsule and minimalize the vibrations of the hull?!

WERNHER: Yes, but that's not important. I found him!

MAX: Err. That's just a bottle of gin, why should you – oh I get it. Congratulations doctor.

DONNY: And liftoff!

zOdMi8w.jpg

MAX: James.

JAMES: I'm very busy Max, what is it?

DONNY: 50% fuel left!

WERNHER: Gut, gut.

urm8Rd8.png

MAX: ...

JAMES: Look, it's not the best moment.

DONNY: Altitude 30 kilometers.

xARIoSW.jpg

MAX: Ahem.

JAMES: Oh, for Kod's sake… here's your money, now will you leave me alone?

MAX: Thanks.

DONNY: Separation in three, two, one – capsule separated!

A6lISbC.png

MAX: Impressive. Redstone BD, yes? What “BD†means?

JAMES: Booster Development.

MAX: You mean LES, right?

JAMES: Watch this: LES test in threw, two, one, ignition.

90WAGiC.png

MAX: Interesting. But why use LES now?

JAMES: Higher apoapsis?

MAX: Smart.

JAMES: Braun's idea. Decoupling.

9ymyag4.png

d8D83MC.png

MAX: See? That's a brilliant mind.

JAMES: Yeah, all he needs is few years and several dozens of rockets to warm up.

DONNY: Separating the engine.

WIQWLq8.png

MAX: Capsule has an engine now?

JAMES: You missed some of the latest improvements. Pitch is good, Donny.

MAX: But how?

JAMES: Well, after he finally focused on the job it went pretty quickly. Temperature is rising.

MAX: Wow. Will the next one be manned?

JAMES: Nah, we run out of monkeys.

MAX: No, I mean for real. Like, pilots.

DONNY: Kerbonauts. Entering the atmosphere.

1tdKb6y.jpg

JAMES: I dunno. My expertise is rocket science, not human resources. Besides, do you really think there are some morons stupid enough to sit on top of a bomb and be launched to space?

WERNHER: I'm sorry, but I vas listening to your conversation…

JAMES: Doctor, really? Eavesdropping?

WERNHER: No, I believe Eve is okay.

JAMES: :sigh:

MAX: So, what is it doc?

WERNHER: Vell, actually the recruitment process is completed. We've selected few candidates and they were training for a long time. All ve need is a rocket. And some catchy name for the team, of course.

MAX: Really? That's great! We may even be faster then Reds! How many pilots do we have, doctor?

WERNHER: Eight. I vas trying but I couldn't come up with a good name for all of them.

JAMES: Oh, we need something creative, doctor. Something unique and exciting like, oh, I don't now, the Eight? The Original Eight? Is that creative enough?

WERNHER: This… this is PERFECT!

JAMES: Hey, I was just being iro…

WERNHER: Eight pilots – original crew. Original Eight. Phantastich! I'm going to the conference room at once!

JAMES: :sigh:

MBRqodN.png

Edited by czokletmuss

That was great! Can't wait for the press conference.

I am sorry if i missed something obvious, but what about the perspective from the Kerbal Union? Or is this this focused on the Kerbal States? :)

That was great! Can't wait for the press conference.

I am sorry if i missed something obvious, but what about the perspective from the Kerbal Union? Or is this this focused on the Kerbal States? :)

I have a few ideas but I won't say anything to avoid spoilers. This is going to be recreation of the Space Race but it won't be 100% faithfull to the history :)

Cool! If my AAR didn't have a name so similar to your (great) one it would probably have more views.. You just so happen to make a AAR based on two nations racing into space at he same time I did... Or I should think of a better name. Anyway I can't wait for chapter two! I want to see a Soyuz explode and rain toxic fuels over the Kerbal Union >:D

Cool! If my AAR didn't have a name so similar to your (great) one it would probably have more views.. You just so happen to make a AAR based on two nations racing into space at he same time I did... Or I should think of a better name. Anyway I can't wait for chapter two! I want to see a Soyuz explode and rain toxic fuels over the Kerbal Union >:D

Thank! Yeah, names of our AARs are almost the same but they are completely different - mine is more history-driven (all the dates and rockets and most of the inciddents are REAL) and yours is more story-driven. Besides, one can read several AARs, so there is no competition here :) Writing is cool, that's it.

Chapter 2 will come, err, when will it come, dr Braun? What? Gorillas? But we have kerbonauts and... why orange juice? Hey, hydrazine is - err, sorry folks, I'm kinda busy right now. Doctor Wernher, please don't touch this!

Excellent, this looks promising!

I love the space race period, I read everything on it I can find since I'm a kid and the re-creation of this timeline in KSP with a touch of humour made this a very enjoyable read!

Good work sir!

PS : funnily, after each major KSP update or after too long hiatuses, I tend to start over my space program and develop it more or less the way it was in the USA : suborbital flights, sub-system tests (guidance, parachutes, etc), Vanguard (aka "The grapefruit satellite"), Mercury (manned flights), Gemini (docking, long duration flights), Apollo (Kerbals on the Mun!). I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one though... :D

As a space race geek, this lets me test and discover the parts that were modified in the update while still being in a "roleplay" mood.

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent, this looks promising!

I love the space race period, I read everything on it I can find since I'm a kid and the re-creation of this timeline in KSP with a touch of humour made this a very enjoyable read!

Good work sir!

PS : funnily, after each major KSP update or after too long hiatuses, I tend to start over my space program and develop it more or less the way it was in the USA : suborbital flights, sub-system tests (guidance, parachutes, etc), Vanguard (aka "The grapefruit satellite"), Mercury (manned flights), Gemini (docking, long duration flights), Apollo (Kerbals on the Mun!). I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one though... :D

As a space race geek, this lets me test and discover the parts that were modified in the update while still being in a "roleplay" mood.

Thanks :) I'm planning next update sometime soon and now with the N-1 rocket released there are new possibilities for the Red's space program :)

CHAPTER 2

1961: FIRST IN SPACE – PART ONE

dRrUNcz.jpg

3rd APRIL, 1961

WERNHER: …this brave men to the sky and beyond vith the Redstone rocket. This marks the beginning of the Project Mercury. And know time for questions. Yes please?

JOURNALIST 1: Mr. von Braun, is it true that the Soviets are currently planning to send one of their own to space?

JAMES: :whispers: Touchy subject.

MAX: :whispers: Be quite, James.

WERNHER: Vell, ve are doing whatever we can to make sure that the first person to see Kerbin from up there is going to be from the land of the free. And ve already know that this is a home of the brave – they are sitting right here.

JOURNALIST 2: But are you sure, Mr. von Braun, that we can won this time? First there was Sputnik. Than Muna-2 became the first kerb-made object to impact the Mun. Than the Reds have sent one probe to take photographs of the dark side of the Mun. It seems we're loosing the Space Race. Do you have any comment on this, Mr. von Braun?

WERNHER: Ve vill succeed. Gentlemen, vith American ingenuity and industry there is simply no other option. I'm completely sure that the person who vill be the first to travel through space is sitting in this room right now. Yes?

JOURNALIST 3: Is it true that the Red's rocket is more capable than Redstone?

JAMES: :whispers: Ouch.

MAX: :whispers: James, stop it.

WERNHER: Mercury Redstone is powerful enough to put a man in space, gentlemen.

JOURNALIST 3: How many successful launches of this rocket have you achieved?

WERNHER: More than I can count. There vere some problems but ve've corrected all of them and now Redstone is completely safe and ready. I vould like to emphasize this – ve are ready to go to space. I can assure you, gentlemen, that vithin month ve vill reach this goal. James?

JAMES: Ahem. Okay folks, that's enough. Now if you have some questions to the Original Eight, please don't hesitate. Hmm. The gentlemen with the yellow tie – yes, you.

JOURNALIST 4: I have a question to…

12th APRIL, 1961

MISSION CONTROL: Dyesyat, dyevyat, vosyem, syem, shest, ignition sequence start...

MISSION CONTROL: …pyat, chyetirye, tree, engines are on, dva, adeen, zero – we have liftoff!

YURI: Poyehaly!

S50WEdV.png

ANTON: All systems operational!

KOSTYA: I'm getting telemetry, everything seems to be all right!

wbIDRB5.png

NIKOLAI: We really are doing this, comrade chief engineer!

SERGEI: Wait until booster separation with congratulations, Kolya.

KOSTYA: Separation in 10 seconds.

SERGEI: Here we go.

ANTON: Countdown. Pyat, chyetirye, tree, dva, adeen – separation!

ieZ2dtS.jpg

ANTON: Separation confirmed!

SERGEI: Yes! Everything alright up there Yuri?

YURI: The separation was a little rough, comrade chief engineer, but besides that it's perfect!

tBNK2Ia.png

KOSTYA: Forty seconds.

SERGEI: Anton?

ANTON: Pitch and roll is good, we're looking good.

KOSTYA: Thirty seconds.

NIKOLAI: Will he achieve planned orbit, comrade chief engineer?

SERGEI: Everything is going very smoothly, Kolya. We will do this

KOSTYA: Five seconds. Tree, dva, adeen – engines stop!

9bzqHWK.png

KOSTYA: He's in orbit! He's in orbit!

SERGEI: Prepare for fairing separation, Yuri.

YURI: Understood.

SERGEI: Now.

ANTON: Fairing decoupled.

BWXicMi.png

SERGEI: Proceed, Yuri.

YURI: хþрþшþ. Separating from the main booster.

JdmG730.png

0KFqDdN.png

YURI: Vostok 1 separated from the booster.

SERGEI: We know that Yuri. How are feeling?

YURI: Fantastic! I feel very safe here. The feeling of weightlessness is amazing, I don't have any nausea or anything.

NIKOLAI: Tell us what you can see, Yuri.

ii3TAHC.jpg

KG7aJQa.png

YURI: Uhm. Kerbin is covered in clouds. In rain clouds. It's beautiful. I wish you could see this, comrade chief engineer.

SERGEI: :smiles: It's enough for me knowing that you are there, Yuri. Try to turn the ship around.

YURI: Da, comrade chief engineer.

Pt22PT6.png

YURI: I can see the booster floating in space behind me. It seems to be undamaged. I wish I could use it to fly even higher, comrades!

SERGEI: Haha, I know Yuri. All right, let's start checking all the systems – we don't have much time before we lost contact and you still have to come back down to us. Anton?

rCEU3sB.jpg

SERGEI: Let's do it. Prepare for the deorbit burn. Comrades?

ANTON: We're ready.

KOSTYA: I'm good.

NIKOLAI: We can proceed, comrade chief engineer.

SERGEI: Very good. You've heard them Yuri.

YURI: хþрþшþ. Executing deorbit burn.

bWtWgS2.jpg

YURI: Engine cut-off confirmed. Uh, Vostok 1 has started to spin a little but I'm good.

SERGEI: You've done well, Yuri. Anton, what about the…?

ANTON: Wait a moment… he will land within the planned zone, comrade chief engineer.

NIKOLAI: Yes!

YURI: Hey, I can see the Mun from here! It's so close. It's like I could reach to him and touch its surface.

SERGEI: Concentrate, comrade, in few minutes you will be out of reach. Let's check everything once again.

YURI: Affirmative.

QUzb5ih.png

KOSTYA: 60 seconds.

SERGEI: Listen to me Yuri, we're going to separate the service module now. Are you ready?

YURI: As always.

SERGEI: Do it, Anton.

6nSVMlI.png

YURI: Wow, it was rough.

SERGEI: Is separation successful? Anton?

ANTON: …

SERGEI: Anton, talk to me.

ANTON: No separation.

SERGEI: What?

KOSTYA: 20 seconds.

NIKOLAI: Maybe something has jammed?

SERGEI: We need this module separated before he enters the lower parts of the atmosphere! Anton, check again!

83EHsPE.png

ANTON: No separation.

SERGEI: Yuri, can you confirm that the separation was successful?

KOSTYA: 10 seconds.

YURI: Comra##? I can't hear you very ###. Please ###

AroPRAK.png

SERGEI: Yuri? Yuri?!

ANTON: He has entered the atmosphere, comrade chief engineer. Now we can only wait.

dLqbkpV.png

KOSTYA: We've lost the telemetry.

SERGEI: …

NIKOLAI: What now? Comrade chief engineer?

SERGEI: We wait. If the service module finally detached, everything will be alright.

PJvvt96.png

KOSTYA: He still have to leave the capsule safely.

SERGEI: Yes.

BpM7buO.png

KOSTYA: And then use the parachute to land.

SERGEI: Yes.

uwTkUOr.png

GLYIDQ7.png

KOSTYA: …

ANTON: …

NIKOLAI: What if he won't?

SERGEI: He will. He's a good communist and a skilled pilot. Have a little faith in him and our spacecraft.

5cdyfO6.png

NIKOLAI: So when we will know?

ANTON: Rescue teams are on there way as we speak.

SERGEI: Yes. Be more optimistic, comrades. I bet our brave Yuri has already landed. We will drink some vodka together tonight and laugh at this, remember my words.

eRBQIqx.png

Edited by czokletmuss