[AAR] The Space Race

czokletmuss

This is great! áÿðÑÂøñþ :) Are you going to made Voskhod as well? I love old Soviet spacecraft because they have this very old school sci-fi aestethic design :)

Edited by czokletmuss

CHAPTER 3

1961: FIRST IN SPACE – PART TWO

JMEAfWY.jpg

14th APRIL, 1961

MAX: Is this on? Okay, it's recording. Ahem. Gentlemen, we've assembled here to…

JAMES: Cut to the chase, Max – Soviets have won and we still have nothing.

MAX: Err, I don't think that this is a fair judgment, James.

JAMES: Fair judgment, huh? Listen, they have bigger, more complex and more powerful rocket. That's one. They launched it the day before yesterday with a pilot above the Kerman line, thus sending him to space. Two. Not only he went to space, but he also made one full orbit. That's three. And we? We've just killed a bunch of monkeys and blow up some laughable small boosters. Are you happy with my judgment now, Max? Is it fair enough?

MAX: :sigh:

WERNHER: Is there anything you vould've done differently, Mr. Kebb?

JAMES: Sure! The Reds are winning – we need more money and manpower to change this. Not to mention the mess this agency is right now. We need someone with experience, someone focused and sharp enough to deal with the politicians. With all due respect, doctor, you're a great scientist but a terrible administrator.

WERNHER: Vell, I…

JAMES: Not to mention your past and membership in certain organization.

WERNHER: Was? I already told you what happened during the war.

JAMES: It doesn't matter, doctor. You are a potential PR catastrophe. Someday someone will use it against KASA.

MAX: Okay, that's enough James. Without doctor von Braun we wouldn't have had…

JAMES: …problems.

MAX: …rockets. James, please – we're here to discuss the development of program Mercury, not doctor Wernher's past. Donny?

MAX: Ahem. This is the mission's plan. As you know, we should be able to prepare launch in the next…

huwfsUA.png

5th MAY, 1961

MISSION CONTROL: Okay Alan, we're beginning the gravity turn.

ALAN: Copy that.

h7wzrTA.jpg

MAX: Come on James, cheer up. We're sending Kermarican to space!

JAMES: Hooray.

ALAN: Okay, uhm, everything's okay up here. Roll's good.

zgb71br.jpg

MAX: I mean it. Alan is going to spa-

JAMES: The Reds were first to do it.

MAX: So what? It doesn't change the fact that he's climbing up through the atmosphere as we speak.

MISSION CONTROL: Tower separation on my mark. Mark

ALAN: Tower separated.

JAMES: But we're in a space race, Max, we're not doing this for science or something like this. We're doing this to prove the superiority of our way of life, to prove that the capitalism is the best way to organize society. And we're losing.

MISSION CONTROL: And cutoff. Spacecraft separation confirmed.

HCHq05p.jpg

Xyv6jJH.png

ALAN: Okay, uhm, all systems operational. Everything is A-okay, KSC.

MAX: All right James, the Reds have a small advantage currently, but it doesn't mea-

JAMES: Small advantage? For the love of Kod Max, this is a space race! Race to space! They had Sputnik, this dog, than Muna-2 and know kerbonaut. This sounds like a small advantage to you?

DONNY: Alan, check your orbital speed please, we've some problems with the readings.

LSRc1vj.png

ALAN: Copy that. I've got 894 m/s.

MAX: Yes, it does! And you know why? Because our economy is much more capable. In the long run, the Reds don't stand a chance.

JAMES: If there will be any long run. KASA may as well get cancelled in this year.

MISSION CONTROL: Freedom 8, you're going to pass the Kerman line in 10 seconds.

MAX: Have you heard that? First Kermarican in space! This is history, James, you can't negate that.

JAMES: This is a disgrace.

MAX: What?!

MISSION CONTROL: Alan, tell us what you can see.

fkdZiOu.png

3LhYJGP.png

ALAN: The curvature of the Kerbin is clearly visible. There is a lot of clouds, but the view is astonishing. Wow! This – this is amazing.

FJWEL2i.png

JAMES: You've heard me.

MAX: How on Kerbin can you say this? Freedom 8 has just-

JAMES: He pissed in his pants, for Kod's sake. Our first kerbonaut. Good Lord, if there will be any leak to the press we're done.

MAX: It wasn't his fault! He waited for hours in the capsule before the liftoff.

MISSION CONTROL: Okay Freedom 8, prepare for the retro booster ignition.

ALAN: Copy that. Retro booster armed.

MISSION CONTROL: Retrofire in three, two, one, ignition.

cpnqZ2e.png

Kd1Q65g.jpg

JAMES: Than it's von Braun's fault. The design of the Mercu-

MAX: Why you are such a snarker, James? What happened?

JAMES: You see Max, there is so much potential in KASA that I can't help myself when I see it completely wasted.

MISSION CONTROL: Retrofire completed. You can jettison the booster, Freedom.

ALAN: Roger. Retro jettisoned.

CjsnIZi.png

MAX: Wasted?

JAMES: Yes, wasted. By this moron von Braun, mostly.

MAX: Okay James, you can dislike doctor Werhner, but calling him a moron…

JAMES: But he's a total moron in administrative matters!

MISSION CONTROL: Altitude 50 kilometers. Prepare for reentry.

ALAN: Copy that.

kMmcHOs.png

MAX: But he's a brilliant scientist!

JAMES: Maybe but he for sure don't know how to handle politicians. Do you know that recently he was once again talking publicly about his “Das Dunaprojekt�

MAX: Wait, you mean this study for a manned Duna mission from 1952?

JAMES: Study? He wants to assemble ten spacecraft in orbit, each with a mass of more than 3500 tonnes!

MISSION CONTROL: We've lost contact with Freedom 8.

IvrmWuQ.png

OiCAwQ7.png

MAX: At least he has a vision.

JAMES: Yeah, sure, 'cause we have enough money and political support for such a mission. Hell, we're only capable of sending one tiny capsule barely above the atmosphere with some clown in it.

MAX: This saddens me, James. I thought you will be the last person to be disrespectful to them. They are risking everything, every time. They are heroes and you won't talk about them like this – you're working and KASA, for Kod's sake!

G8MlK4A.jpg

IuTUkFE.png

JAMES: Okay, I'm taking this back. But von Braun will get the whole program cancelled. We need more resourceful leadership, someone capable of handling politicians, military and other factions in the capital. Someone who knows what to say to get president to listen.

MAX: Oh, I get it now. This whole rant was about this and this only, isn't it James? You already can see yourself as the Administrator, don't you?

MISSION CONTROL: Parachutes deployment successful.

DONNY: Yes!

1ucMa8z.png

JAMES: As a matter of fact yes, I do. And I'm sure that I would be a better Administrator than von Braun – hell, anyone would be better.

MAX: And what are you going to do about it?

JAMES: You'll see soon enough.

MISSION CONTROL: Freedom 8 has landed!

uS537aO.png

MAX: You see, James? History is happening. Tomorrow all newspapers in the world will have it on their front page.

JAMES: Mhm. We may even get congratulations from the Reds ambassador. How lucky we are.

MAX: :sigh:

DONNY: Mr. Kebb, you are needed in the conference room 4b.

JAMES: Tell them I'm going, Donny. You know what Max, you are right – we need a visioner. And I'm talking about the real vision – bigger spacecraft, more powerful rockets, more science, more firsts during the space race. Not the lunacy von Braun is proposing.

MAX: Well, if you think you could do this, than I wish you luck. But the only person who could change the Administrator is the President himself. What are you going to do, just walk in the Green House for a little chit-chat and hope you can change his mind?

JAMES: You'll see. I got to go, we'll talk later. Take care.

MAX: You too, James. You too.

rHzNZlr.png

MpgFJRB.jpg

CHAPTER 4

1961: WE CHOOSE THE MUN

B3hP2gp.jpg

25th MAY, 1961

MAX: Good afternoon, James. Nice office. And the nameplate – James Kebb, Administrator of the KASA. Nice indeed.

JAMES: :sigh:

MAX: What's up? You've succeeded, man – von Braun is limited to the design bureau and you are the new KASA's Administrator. Kod only knows how you did it but nobody can say that you aren't good in personal games. You should rejoice!

JAMES: Very funny. You know damn well in what position this puts me now.

MAX: What are you talking about?

JAMES: This frakin address to Kongress! Are you living under a rock or what?

MAX: Well, I find it very inspiring.

JAMES: Inspiring my butt. This is madness – von Braun's lunacy was substituted by this madman's so called “planâ€Â. To go to the Mun before the end of this decade… This is disastrous.

MAX: I don't follow, James. We'll get more money and resources, so-

JAMES: The point is, Max, that we can't do this! Do you have any idea how impossibly hard this project is to realize? We're going to need technologies that don't exist yet, procedures we're not sure are feasible to execute, completely new spacecraft using cutting edge technology and rockets – frak, don't even get me started on the rockets.

MAX: Okay, it's a huge challenge, we all know that, but don't you think that this is doable?

JAMES: Doable? Listen – even if it is, in which I doubt, but even if so, than we're putting at stake everything. From a political point of view I can understand this on some level – Reds have won the race to the orbit, so Kennedy is proposing a race to Mun. New game, our rules, they have to adapt to it or loose – that's smart. But why before the end of the decade?! We have less than 9 years! And if they beat us to the Mun…

MAX: Yes?

JAMES: Than it's game over. If we can't do this while concentrating all our strengths, our economy, military, eggheads – than the Reds truly are better. Or at least that's how they will be seen by the whole world. Their ideology and the way they organize their society is superior to ours. Kod, we could loose the Cold War because of this.

MAX: I think you're too pessimistic, James. We can do it. We have the potential, remember? And with the right leadership…

JAMES: Oh, shut up.

MAX: …

JAMES: …

MAX: Ahem. So what are you going to do?

JAMES: I'm going to the Green House to talk with him.

MAX: Talk?

JAMES: Ask for more money – what else could I do? It'll cost at least several billions. We need new budget, new flight schedule, much more employees – at least several thousands engineers more. And more kerbonauts, of course – we need to start recruiting right now. We have to start thinking about upgraded spacecraft, there are public procurements for all parts to be prepared – oh, we're gonna need more lawyers too. And some lobbyists in the Kongress. And some good plan to put this all together. Sweet Kod, this is nightmare.

MAX: James, if you need my help, just let me know. You're my boss now anyways.

JAMES: Hmm? Yeah, you could be useful.

MAX: Err, thanks. I guess.

JAMES: Okay, Max – you are going to prepare report for me about the readiness of the Atlas rocket. We need some good stunt to show everyone that we're serious about the President's plan. Maybe full orbit or something? Whatever, it better be big; you have two weeks to prepare this for me. And I want the launch within six months – are we clear?

MAX: James? Are we serious about the President's plan?

JAMES: Do we have any other choice? He may be a bloody idiot by demanding the impossible from us but he's still the fraking President. The problem is there is no plan, just political wishful thinking. :sigh: Okay Max, leave me alone now, I have a lot of phone calls to make.

5th JUNE, 1961

JAMES: Okay, I'm listening.

MAX: Ahem. So. This is the Mercury-Redstone rocket we're currently using.

Qv4BGuI.gif

8Z8sLMs.jpg

JAMES: Really.

MAX: It's capable of sending one man into suborbital flight. He's not a pilot, since he can't really control the flight, more like a passenger. Last month Alan used this rocket to become the first Kermarican in space, next month there is one more flight scheduled. This time however the capsule will be using the liquid retro booster, not solid fuel like the last time. This should give us opportunity to test several-

JAMES: Listen Max, this is good idea – small change but quite a big scientific gain, I like it. But I told you to concentrate on the Atlas.

MAX: Yes, about that. This is the Atlas booster.

IxycsME.gif

jJkHTdZ.jpg

MAX: We expect it to be able to accelerate the capsule for additional 0,6 km/s in comparison to the Redstone. It'll be enough to put the spacecraft in orbit, albeit barely enough.

JAMES: Hmm. I can't say I'm impressed – why only 600 m/s? The tests indicated that there will be bigger difference.

MAX: Ahem. Well, calculations made by doctor von Braun were correct. But he forgot that there are three engines instead of one in this rocket.

JAMES: :sigh: Let me guess – the mass of the other two engines lowers the total delta-V to merely 600 m/s better than the Redstone is capable of.

MAX: Exactly.

JAMES: Wonderful. Are you sure that the orbital flight is possible with Atlas?

MAX: Yes. No. I mean, I don't know. I mean, well, it should be. Ahem.

JAMES: :sigh: Tell von Braun to calculate everything once again. And than double- and triple-check this. I want one of our kerbonauts to make a full orbit within 6 months, Max. And like President said, it's not something I'm willing to postpone.

MAX: Sure thing. Ahem. James, have you spoke with him?

JAMES: Whom? Oh, sure I did. It isn't that bad – he's not a visioner-type at all.

MAX: Err? And this is a good thing?

JAMES: Well of course it is! You see, he only cares about the Cold War and we're just one more weapon in this conflict. He understands this and he's not willing to change this, with all the consequences for our manned program.

MAX: What do you mean?

JAMES: We will get as much money as we need to send a man to the Mun by the end of this decade. The sky is the limit, Max – Kongress will give us its full support. And with a craptone of money we won't have to beg Army or Air Force for anything. Quite the contrary – we're going to be the biggest player in the whole aerospace industry in the country.

MAX: This is great!

JAMES: Yeah, but here's a thing – Kermarican flag on the Mun is the goal. We have to beat the Reds and prove them that USK is the superior power and nothing else matters. But – and you're not going to like it – this has to understand literally. Any project which won't help us get to the Mun is thrashed indefinitely. Every bit of science which isn't going to take us closer to this goal is considered unnecessary and financing it is wasteful.

MAX: But… but there is so much to know, so much to explore! We can't just-

JAMES: We can and we will, Max. Don't forget what's at stake here. You think I wouldn't prefer to get money on real science? But this is the reality, like it or not. However, we still are going to spend billions on the new spacecraft and rockets and all this stuff. And every bit of science we will be able to slip under the radar by connecting it to these projects is our and kerbalkind gain. Do you understand me?

MAX: I think I do but you're right, I don't like it at all. And von Braun and his men are going to be really disappointed.

JAMES: Like I care about it. And by the way – there is a new spacecraft to be designed. I think we'll let the McDonnell take care of this: as our prime contractor for the Mercury capsule they are most likely to do this fast. I'm gonna need you again, Max.

MAX: Oh.

JAMES: You'll be responsible for reporting me progress on the development of the new spacecraft. However, first we need to know what we want from it.

MAX: Err?

JAMES: Specification, Max? And to do this, we need to create some roadmap, you know, thing we need to practice before we go to the Mun. You have one month, Max.

MAX: One month?! But-

JAMES: Come on, you have all KASA for your disposal! Gather the best eggheads we have and do some brainstorming.

MAX: But-

JAMES: I'm sure von Braun will have some crazy ideas, but don't let him think we have an unlimited budget. Speaking of which, I have to call to the Vice President.

JAMES: No buts! Go now and bring me this report in four weeks. It's vital for our success, Max – I'm sure that the Reds are already working on something. Hell, maybe I should talk with CIA about this?

JAMES: I said go! There is no time to lose - the space race has already begun!

Edited by czokletmuss

Yes! Excellent rendition of this fascinating part of our history.

If I had to make a constructive comment, I'd say that I enjoyed the schematics and I wonder if they could be used a bit more to provide some visual support.

For example, I'd be curious to see the Atlas schematics annotated by our "Wonder Wernher"... :D

I really love the beginning of the Space Race because of all the drama, politics and the variety of human feelings involved.

It's an aspect you captured well, with enough humor and distance, and this without actually bringing up the more gloomy issues of the Cold War.

Woo! new chapter! Keep up the writing!

I will :) Actually I have quite a big plans for the future; the structure of this AAR allows me to experiment with new mods and change KSP to the latest version as soon as it's released, so in some ways it's even more fun than "Proteus" mission where I'm stuck in 20.2 :)

Oh, and there will be MOAR soon :P

CHAPTER 5

1961: THE TWINS

Fm1EAz6.jpg

1st DECEMBER, 1961

Minutes of the Kerbal Aeronautics and Space Administration Advisory Council Meeting

December 1, 1961

EXCERPTS

A meeting of the KASA Advisory Council was held in the office of the KASA Administrator in KASA Headquarters, Washington, D.K., on Tuesday, December 1, 1961, at 3:00 p.m.

PRESENT

Administrator – James Kebb

Deputy Administrator – Hugh Dryden

Chief Engineer - dr Wernher von Braun

Chief Legal Officer – Jacob Brandwein

Administrative Assistant – Maximilian Jarvis

and engineer James Chamberlin as a guest.

JAMES: Welcome everybody. The last months weren't easy for our agency – not only we've had to deal with the disastrous splashdown of the Liberty-Bell but also with another Soviet victory. As you all know, they put a man up there for a whole day in August, aboard their second Vostok spacecraft. The President demands action, gentlemen. We need to respond to this somehow. I now that you're all exhausted – right now we have to maintain the Mercury and we're preparing the next two program simultaneously, one of which will take us to the Mun. We have to do this right this time – or have you forgotten how embarrassing the beginnings were?

But before we'll discuss how exactly are we going to change the course of this race and stop this litany of failures using our Mercury spacecraft, we've to sum up a few things. Max, you could begin your presentation.

MAX: Thank you Mr. Administrator. As you all know, KASA has chosen the McDonnell Aircraft Corporation to prepare a new capsule for the Mercury Mark II program. This allowed us to-

JAMES: Spare us the details Max – we all know them and we'll be selling this to the politicians, so concentrate on what's essential.

MAX: Yes sir. The Mercury Mark II capsule will be bigger and better in every accept than its predecessor. With this spacecraft we will test every procedure needed to actually go to the Mun. There are five vital steps on our way there.

w6Lam0K.jpg

First one has already been done by the Reds, but with the Atlas rocket we will be able to to achieve this as well. By using the already developed Mercury capsule we will get enough experience to make another step, which is this – EVA or extravehicular activity. Once we're in orbit we can go outside, check whether we can build spacesuits capable of withstanding such hazardous environment. We'll be able to see if a kerbonaut can survive outside, see if he can maneuver, see if he can get back to the capsule. We need to understand all of this and be able to do this flawlessly if we want to set foot on the Mun. Next is-

HUGH I'm sorry, but we're going to use the other spacecraft for EVA, right?

MAX: Exactly, Deputy Administrator. This and all next steps will be performed with the Mercury Mark II capsule. Next is the rendezvous, two spacecraft meeting in orbit above Kerbin. It will be extremely difficult – both of them will be tens of kilometers above the surface, each of them flying at more than 7000 kilometers per hour. We'll have to build the worldwide communication system to be able to even try to do this. Than we have docking – once we get both of them close to each other we'll need to check if they can join up, sound and safe.

WERNHER: Was? Ve don't actually need to do this, Mr. Jarvis, not vith the direct landing on the Mun.

MAX: I'll explain this in a few minutes, doctor. The last one is the long duration flight. The whole Mun mission will take several days, no doubt about it. How will the bodies of our kerbonauts react to being in zero G for that long? Will they have problems with respiratory or cardiovascular system? Will they be able to work with the highest efficiency? Will they get tired easily? And what's the most important, how will they handle passing through the Van Kerballen radiation belt, discovered by the way by Kermarican probe.

JAMES: We know that, James. Show us the Mercury Mark II, please.

MAX: Sure. On this slide we can see the Mercury capsule with, uhm, doctor von Braun's annotations.

4NnwbeJ.jpg

JAMES: Yes, they are very… interesting. Thank you for this insight, doctor, we can see now why we need a new capsule.

WERNHER: There's nothing wrong with my eyesight, Herr Webb.

MAX: Yes. And on this slide, thanks to Mr. Chamberlin and his colleagues from McDonnell, we can see how the Mark II capsule will look like.

ywAjEdN.jpg

JAMES: What the hell is this!?

MAX: Err, I asked doctor von Braun for his annotations and-

JAMES: You put your grocery list on our spacecraft? GROCERIES?!

WERNHER: I vas in a hurry.

JAMES: IN A HURRY?!

WERNHER: But I don't have any suggestians! Zis project is very gut, flawless even. Very gut job.

MAX: And that's what's the most important, isn't it? Mr. Chamberlin here can provide more details if you are interested.

HUGH It would be most interesting to hear.

MAX: Alright than, we-

JAMES: Later. Let's just focus on the most basic things, we can spend days dwelling in details – no offence, Mr. Chamberlin. Remember that we're meeting here so that you can give me some arguments to convince the President. So, this spacecraft is going to perform all this advanced operations like EVE or docking, right?

MAX: EVA. Yes sir.

JAMES: Hmm. With two pilots and such vast capabilities it deserves a better name than just Mercury Mark II. Ideas?

HUGH: Advanced Spacecraft For Low Orbit Exploration?

JAMES: Really Hugh?

JACOB: Next Generation Spacecraft?

JAMES: One capsule is not a generation.

MAX: Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle?

JAMES: Now that's an inspiring name.

MAX: It is?

JAMES: Nope.

HUGH: Kerbin Low Orbit Explorer?

JAMES: Pff.

MAX: Advanced Mercury?

JAMES: Meh.

HUGH: Experimental Spacecraft for Manned, uhm… Exploration?

JAMES: For Kod's sake, stop with this exploring! Other ideas?

MAX: Space Transportation System?

JAMES: Unimaginative.

WERNHER: Wunder Rocket?

JAMES: No.

WERNHER: Extreme Space Machine?

JAMES: No!

HUGH: Explor-

JAMES: Stop it! Come on, people, be creative! How did we choose the name for Mercury anyways?

JACOB: Mythology, it was a god-messenger who was delivering the, uhm, messages to other, well, gods.

JAMES: Great – mythology that is. I'm listening.

MAX: Zeus?

JAMES: Nah, too ambitious.

HUGH: Vulcan?

JAMES: Silly.

WERNHER: Titan!

JAMES: It's the rocket.

WERNHER: Space Titan?

JAMES: NO!

JACOB: Maybe Kadmos?

JAMES: And what the frak is this?

JACOB: It was the ancient hero who-

MAX: Gemini.

JAMES: Gemini? Oh, I got it. Two pilots – twins. Nice. I like it. Everybody agrees?

WERNHER: Wunder Vulcan?

JAMES: Shut up. All right, Gemini that is. :sigh: Let's take a brake, okay? 20 minutes.

JAMES: Okay, let's proceed. Max?

MAX: Yes. So, Mercury and Mark- uhm, I mean Gemini.

shsvTjt.jpg

The main differences between them are-

JAMES: You know what, why not let Mr. Chamberlin to say a few words about the Gemini, it's his company who's building it for us after all.

MAX: Of course. Mr. Chamberlin?

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: Thank you. The Mark II – uhm, I mean the Gemini spacecraft consists of 5 major components: rendezvous and recovery section, re-entry control system or RCS section, cabin section, adapter, retrograde and equipment section. Only the capsule returns to Kerbin, the rest of the sections are detached and left to burn in the atmosphere. Unlike Mercury, Gemini will be quite capable of various maneuvers thanks to the thrusters in the equipment section. While performing EVA, the cabin will be depressurized and one of the pilots will be able to go out through the hatch, which…

JAMES: You know what, I changed my mind. We'll read about all the details in the report, Mr. Chamberlin. But what about the rocket, Titan?

HUGH: Yes, what about it? It's also a gift from the military, isn't it?

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: That's correct. The booster is a slightly modified ICBM – intercontinental ballistic missile – which is still in service.

JACOB: To send our nukes straight to the Soviets.

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: Yes. Because of the modifications its name is Titan II, to be precise. It's quite capable rocket, much more powerful than Atlas. However its payload can be easily increased by adding several smaller boosters.

HUGH: Wait a second. You want to attach rockets to our rocket?

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: It's doctor von Braun's idea and it's being used by the Reds in their Vostok booster.

1EMDQ93.jpg

JAMES: Rockets on other rockets. It doesn't sound very safe.

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: Oh, but there's a very easy solution to this. It can't be implemented in Gemini but we at McDonnell were thinking…

JAMES: Yes?

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: What if there's some accident during ascent? What if the fuel tank blows up? We're gonna need some emergency system to put the capsule away from the explosion.

HUGH: But how? If it happens during the ascent, the capsule and the rocket will be moving at tremendous speed.

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: Doctor?

WERNHER: Vell, ve can attach a small rocket on top of ze capsule, so that if something bad happenz, the spacecraft could escape. Ve call it ERTTC - Emergency Rocket on Top of The Capsule.

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: Err, actually I thought we were going to call it Launch Escape System?

WERNHER: Oh ja, it's gut too.

JAMES: Let me sum this up – you want to strap on medium rockets to our big rocket and than put a small rocket on top of this? And you want to do this because it'll be safer?

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: Precisely.

JAMES: Mhm.

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: If we get the contract for Apollo.

JAMES: Of course.

MAX: Speaking about Apollo, we've prepared several slides about it. It's still too early to be very precise but we've quite a good idea how it's going to look. May I?

MAX: First of all, we're going to need much more powerful rockets. On this slide you can see what's the difference is going to be.

GnKaPGP.jpg

MAX: Err, I believe they are doctor von Braun's annot-

JAMES: Just continue, okay?

MAX: Yes. So, we're going to need a really big rocket to send the spacecraft all the way to the Mun. And it's going to be quite heavy because it'll have to land there. Of course this time it will be from the beginning to the end built by us.

WERHER: I can assure you, Herr Administrator, that my team and I vill do everything to make sure thiz rocket vill be ready in time.

JAMES: How lucky we are to have you, doctor.

MAX: Ahem. Next slide.

aOcJrV1.jpg

MAX: That's more or less how it's going to look. It'll land on the Mun, the kerbonauts will explore its surface and so on and than the capsule with its engine module will detach and launch to the orbit. From there it'll return to Kerbin.

HUGH: Is this the final project?

MAX: Probably not but it's going to look very similar.

JAMES: How heavy it's going to be?

MAX: Something between 40-50 tonnes at most.

JACOB: Hmm. Is this the only way to get to the Mun? This rockets look very expensive.

MAX: Actually there are other options. Next slide.

LqZZHox.jpg

MAX: We've preliminarily chosen the Direct Ascent, as you all know, but there are also these two ideas, Kerbin Orbit Rendezvous and Munar Orbit Rendezvous.

JAMES: Wait a moment – I told you not to mention this whole Munar Orbit thing. Isn't this the Houbolt's idea or whatshisname?

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: It is, sir.

JAMES: Well, this is a total munacy. Two spacecraft means two life-support system and two engines, which means twice the possibility of malfunction. Not to mention the rendezvous above the Mun – Kod, we don't even now whether this is possible in Kerbin orbit.

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: But from an engineering point of view this is brilliant. The weight savings alone are-

JAMES: Enough. I don't want to hear about this. It's interesting all right but it's too risky. KASA won't do this.

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: :sigh:

JAMES: Is it all, Max?

MAX: There are a few slides left but it's pretty much it.

JAMES: Good. Very good. I have to admit, when the President announced his plan I was full of doubt whether it could actually be done. But after this I feel that we can really do it. Send a man to the Mun… What time is it?

JACOB: Six forty-five.

JAMES: Damn, it's so late? We still have to take a look at the budget and legal stuff.

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: Is my presence…?

JAMES: No, you can go. Thank you very much Mr. Chamberlin – it's a very impressive machine you're building.

JAMES CHAMBERLIN: Pleasure is all mine. I bet they can't wait.

JAMES: Who?

MAX: Kerbonauts, sir.

JAMES: Oh, right. Our heroes, huh? Well, if they want to go up there, they need a rocket. First things first, as they say – after all the paperwork is done then they'll have a chance to show off. Am I right?

1Ay66ur.png

Edited by czokletmuss

Wunderbar Doctor Czo!

I lol'ed when I saw the annotations on the schematics. Repeatedly.

Especially the ones about the explosive hatch and the retro engine : seems like our Wherner is capable of premonitory intuitions when reviewing the Mercury blueprints. :cool:

I like how you rendered the decisional and engineering process that led from a "stupid army rocket" (lol) to Gemini as a stepping stone to Apollo.

Gemini is probably my favorite time frame : the challenges of designing the first generation of a "real" spacecraft (crew of 2, capable of orbital maneuvres and docking, EVA, etc...), the insane amounts of money and emergency fascinate me.

Ah well, it seems that being an engineer was much more fun in the '60s than it is now... :D

Thanks for your awesome job on this episode, as well as for the Grand Tour update!

I really like the inclusion of resources (images, musics and videos) and the way you use them to set the mood of your AARs.

PS : I found this nice site earlier on and thought I could share : Vintage Space.

Wunderbar Doctor Czo!

I lol'ed when I saw the annotations on the schematics. Repeatedly.

Especially the ones about the explosive hatch and the retro engine : seems like our Wherner is capable of premonitory intuitions when reviewing the Mercury blueprints. :cool:

I like how you rendered the decisional and engineering process that led from a "stupid army rocket" (lol) to Gemini as a stepping stone to Apollo.

Gemini is probably my favorite time frame : the challenges of designing the first generation of a "real" spacecraft (crew of 2, capable of orbital maneuvres and docking, EVA, etc...), the insane amounts of money and emergency fascinate me.

Ah well, it seems that being an engineer was much more fun in the '60s than it is now... :D

Thanks for your awesome job on this episode, as well as for the Grand Tour update!

I really like the inclusion of resources (images, musics and videos) and the way you use them to set the mood of your AARs.

PS : I found this nice site earlier on and thought I could share : Vintage Space.

Thank you very much for your comment and for the link to this webpage; I've quite a collection of pages about oldschoold spacecraft, if you are interested I can share it here.

About the blowing hatch - the meeting was few months after the accident with Gus Grissom, so this is not precognition in this case ;)

I'm trying to show here that although what astronauts did was vital for the succes of the program, the effort of engineers and even bureaucrats was also very important. The next chapter or two probably also will be more informative than narrative and than with this background I will start more regular "pilots and rockets"-style AAR. So if you miss explosions and screenshots from the game be patient, they are coming :) The schematics and discussions about what's going on in international politics won't dissapear though. The Space Race was a unique period when engineering, piloting skills, politics and many other things blended into this awesome achievement of humanity which the Race was. I'm trying to show both Kerbal States and Kerbal Union, however with much fewer materials in Russian it's much harder to give good descriptions about details. I'll do my best though :)