[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Hi! I met this weird bug.. any of reactors and almost all interstellar engines acting like they aren’t there at all. Ship just fall through them. And engines have two jets. Does anybody knows how to fix it? I had very similar problem with B9 sabre engine, and there everything solves by updating some dll files.

(KSP 0.24.2 x64)

http://i57.tinypic.com/2r1zrxt.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/nlqy5k.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/25aotfr.png

Thanks!

You need the experimental version of kspi. It is found in wavefunctionp's signature.https://github.com/WaveFunctionP/KSPInterstellar/releases here.

Scott Manley actually said in one video that he cheated the AM and He-3, probably using tweakables.

Don't put words into my mouth :)

I fixed the HE3, since the built in method for acquiring HE3 is ridiculous, especially since you can get tritium (which is rarer and more expensive) with a number of parts.

Thaks! And reactor says that UF4 is deprived with 3000 units on board. Adding thermal energy by cheating doesn't help my engine to have some thrust. Is it known bug? And if so, for this moment, reactors and engines are just ridiculously expensive pile of scrap?

Don't put words into my mouth :)

I fixed the HE3, since the built in method for acquiring HE3 is ridiculous, especially since you can get tritium (which is rarer and more expensive) with a number of parts.

I'd always heard that all meaningful terrestrial supplies of 3He came from tritium decay. The difference in price comes from differences in demand and from the fact that 3He is storable once you have it, while tritium decays. If there were a massive increase in demand due to sudden deployment of fusion reactors, the tritium supply would catch up with demand faster because tritium can be bred directly from lithium, while 3He is available only after the tritium decays.

Pre-First Contract, it kind of made sense to have to produce your own tritium and 3He, because some of the missions you could do with fusion would use more fuel than has ever existed on Earth at one time. At least if the decay calculations were reliable enough that you could breed tritium and let it decay while you were doing other things. Now that we have Funds, the better way to handle known-but-extremely-rare isotopes is to give them a cost where it's possible to buy them, but manufacturing or mining them yourself is a good way to earn Funds for other things.

Hello Guys!

I'm sort of new to KSPI, and I'm having a problem that I don't know if is a bug on the version, bug on my installation or is intended.

I'm trying to start a Thermal Turbojet (atmospheric or air intake fuel mode) engine at EVE on a 70km circular orbit ( barelly at the end on the EVE atmosphere ) an it explode instantly.

Is this right? If so, Why? I understand that these kind of engines overheat a lot at high speed but I have 2 pre-coolers attached directly to my only intakes reporting active status an no oxygen( as expected from Eve), shouldn't this at least don't create a instant explosion?

And I don't understand the explosion at all, the basic work of these engines are to overheat the air at VERY high temperatures and then exaust it? High speed should mean small times to heat the air and then have almost zero thrust? I think these kind of engines should overheat at slow speeds because the air would be very hot, making us use the least throttle possible ( configuring the throttle limit to low values to take off )

Edit: It seems to be a bug where the engines explodes if there is not enough fuel (air) since I started a engine later deeper into atmosphere and it worked

Edited by carlos_rpg

Hello Guys!

I'm trying to start a Thermal Turbojet (atmospheric or air intake fuel mode) engine at EVE on a 70km circular orbit ( barelly at the end on the EVE atmosphere ) an it explode instantly.

Your missunderstanding how the overheat mechanic on airbreathers works in KSPI. In a nutshell the rate of heat generated is direction proportional to the speed of the air entering the intakes. The faster you are going in relation to the air the faster heat is generated. Since you are traveling at orbital velocity the air is comeing in insainly fast and it will always overheat instantly.

Precoolers do not stop the overheating they just reduce it somewhat. They let you go faster before things start to melt but even they will fail if you go fast enough.

The cardinal rule of air breathers in KSPI is keep them off, preferably with closed intakes untill you actualy need the thrust. Dont test burn at altitude you'll just blow them off. Glide down till your going slow and then turn them on if you need the propulsion.

Hello fellow kerbolnauts.

Since the last update i got massive issues with the large fusion reactors and generators always showing structural failures upon launch.

I did tried to overcome it by manipulating the CFG values for breakingForce and breakingTorque up to 30000. to no avail.

I also tried to deinstall KerbalJointReinforcment mod. With no change in behaviour. The Moment i hit around 200-300 m/s on launch the thing simply explodes. And the first thing showing in the crashlog is always a structural failure between reactor and generator.

It also did not matter if i launch it on a short rocket (between the rockets basically) or on a long "normal" rocket.

Anyone got a pointer what i can do?

@Aeon-Phoenix, I had that problem with the 23.5 version of KSPI. Try updateing to the experimental version that Wavefuntion put out (link is in his sig) it should fix the problem on new ships.

@Crashonaut. Have you double checked your install? Compleatly remove Warp plugin, Treeloader and OpenResorceSystem and reinstall from a freshly downloaded copy. You might also consider doing a partial or full rebuild of the craft if you saved the design during a previous version. At least remove and pull a fresh copy of the reactor/generator out of the sidebar. Sometimes old bits of outdated mod versions can remain in the craft files and will continue to exibit wonky behavior till you replace it with a compleatly new part (or rebuild the ship)

It's an interesting mod but all he really did was make kerbin's sun orbit another bigger sun. He extended the planetary system. The distances involved are not really on the scale you'd expect for interstellar travel, even with KSP's 1/8 scale.

maby but in real world everything orbiting around somethink.. more-less

and using chmical rockets its takes about 47 years to go there wich life support system has ability to take that high amount of food for one kerbal? what about 3 kerbals?

even with recyclers ond OKS will be a huuuuuge ship ) if u dont have preety good computer u wont handle that huge ship

- - - Updated - - -

It's an interesting mod but all he really did was make kerbin's sun orbit another bigger sun. He extended the planetary system. The distances involved are not really on the scale you'd expect for interstellar travel, even with KSP's 1/8 scale.

maby but in real world everything orbiting around somethink.. more-less

and using chmical rockets its takes about 47 years to go there wich life support system has ability to take that high amount of food for one kerbal? what about 3 kerbals?

even with recyclers ond OKS will be a huuuuuge ship ) if u dont have preety good computer u wont handle that huge ship

Any idea on release date? I dont feel like playing my current career with the old interstellar, cause way i understand this will be save braking.

i we been stallin my career for weeks now

This mod is AWESOME and must have! sry bad english

I'm having a graphical bug with the thermal rockets, and have been searching for an answer on this thread and Google for quite a while to no avail. It's a pretty old bug based on some of the posted dates, so I would have thought someone would have figured it out by now... but if they have, I haven't been able to find the answer. Any veterans of the mod able to help?

This guy posted the same bug I'm having to youtube:

Basically the thermal rockets and turbojets show flaming graphics below and to one side, regardless of actual throttle or even on/off status. Even in the VAB they show flame contrails.

I'm having a graphical bug with the thermal rockets, and have been searching for an answer on this thread and Google for quite a while to no avail. It's a pretty old bug based on some of the posted dates, so I would have thought someone would have figured it out by now... but if they have, I haven't been able to find the answer. Any veterans of the mod able to help?

This guy posted the same bug I'm having to youtube:

Basically the thermal rockets and turbojets show flaming graphics below and to one side, regardless of actual throttle or even on/off status. Even in the VAB they show flame contrails.

IIRC this was generally due to installing the mod incorrectly.

Any idea on release date? I dont feel like playing my current career with the old interstellar, cause way i understand this will be save braking.

i we been stallin my career for weeks now

This mod is AWESOME and must have! sry bad english

if i understand that olmost all parts will be chenged so if u wana save game just bring back all important kerbals in ships within interstellar parts

I think his point is more that it seems pointless (and a waste of career mode funds) to play when we know that the next update is going to render every craft with Interstellar parts unusable. Why would I continue putting fusion power satellites into orbit at a cost of millions of dollars a pop if I know that an update tomorrow could turn them into orbital paperweights?

Granted, in my case I'm starting a new game on update anyway so it doesn't matter to me, its not going to stop me from playing. It would be nice to have a timetable, but speaking as someone who has done coding in the past, very frequently "soon " is the most honest answer you can give, because there is always SOMETHING breaking!

IIRC this was generally due to installing the mod incorrectly.

Did a clean install of 0.11v (no previous versions to cause conflicts/errors). Additionally, if it was installed incorrectly I would expect there would be other issues... but every other component and graphic appears in working order. It's only the thermal turbojets and thermal thrusters that have problems. I'll try a re-download just in case the download was corrupted or something.

EDIT: Guess I needed the experimental version, not the regular one. Thanks for those who answered!

Hello fellow kerbolnauts.

Since the last update i got massive issues with the large fusion reactors and generators always showing structural failures upon launch.

I did tried to overcome it by manipulating the CFG values for breakingForce and breakingTorque up to 30000. to no avail.

I also tried to deinstall KerbalJointReinforcment mod. With no change in behaviour. The Moment i hit around 200-300 m/s on launch the thing simply explodes. And the first thing showing in the crashlog is always a structural failure between reactor and generator.

It also did not matter if i launch it on a short rocket (between the rockets basically) or on a long "normal" rocket.

Anyone got a pointer what i can do?

I had similar issues on horizontal builds. I mounted a reactor on a ground vehicle to act as a mobile fuel processor and microwave transmitter dish. For some reason anything attached to one side of the reactor would simply "slide" off as if it were lubricated and not attached at all. Adding struts (even super-reinforced strusts from the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod) didn't help; the stuff attached to the end would simply stretch out the struts like rubber. It's also worth noting that the stuff that "falls off" behaves as if it is still connected to the ship, even in terms of camera focus.

Anyways, it seems only stuff on one side of the reactor slides off... the other side seems to remain attached as normal. So if you can't solve your issue, a temporary workaround may be just to only connect things to one side of the reactor. Not ideal, but better than not having reactors at all.

Edited by Undecided

I think his point is more that it seems pointless (and a waste of career mode funds) to play when we know that the next update is going to render every craft with Interstellar parts unusable. Why would I continue putting fusion power satellites into orbit at a cost of millions of dollars a pop if I know that an update tomorrow could turn them into orbital paperweights?

Granted, in my case I'm starting a new game on update anyway so it doesn't matter to me, its not going to stop me from playing. It would be nice to have a timetable, but speaking as someone who has done coding in the past, very frequently "soon " is the most honest answer you can give, because there is always SOMETHING breaking!

Wait, what? You mean the next KSPI update or the next Kerbal official update? Why will it break?

Although on the topic of prices, yeah, they seem a bit much. Just upgraded from the regular KSPI to the experimental version, and found out my mobile miner/reactor vehicle increased in price by a whopping 600%.

Wait, what? You mean the next KSPI update or the next Kerbal official update? Why will it break?

Although on the topic of prices, yeah, they seem a bit much. Just upgraded from the regular KSPI to the experimental version, and found out my mobile miner/reactor vehicle increased in price by a whopping 600%.

Since Fractal has been MIA for months now WaveFunction has essentially taken over development, his experimental version is the only one that works on .24, and he is now working on a v.12 that he will release on a new thread essentially as a new fork of Interstellar, and he is making allot of optimization changes and large over all balance adjustments from what I understand. I know that one of the changes he is making is TweakScale support, this way instead of having 4 different versions of the same reactors you have one that you can tweak from .625 up to 3.75, maybe even 5m if he decides to add that, and all the power output and resource stuff adjusts accordingly, this will save on part clutter and RAM, but it will also break any ships in your save that have the reactors on them, you will have to rebuild them if you update.

If you want more info on the update he should be streaming live right now and can answer questions http://www.twitch.tv/wavefunctionp

About the problems you had earlier, did they go away when you installed the experimental version? if not then you installed it wrong, do not install the version in the OP first, just download and install the experimental, that or delete ALL folders relating to KSPI in your GameData folder, WarpPlugin, ORS ALL OF IT, and then reinstall, otherwise you will have issues. I've seen allot of people that have the issue you describe and it is always due to either having Fractal's version for .23.5 installed or improperly trying to install WaveFunction's version by overwriting.

Wave's next planned release of Interstellar replaces families of similar parts in different sizes with single parts with TweakScale support. That will break any in-flight ships that use the removed parts.

Since Fractal has been MIA for months now WaveFunction has essentially taken over development, his experimental version is the only one that works on .24, and he is now working on a v.12 that he will release on a new thread essentially as a new fork of Interstellar, and he is making allot of optimization changes and large over all balance adjustments from what I understand. I know that one of the changes he is making is TweakScale support, this way instead of having 4 different versions of the same reactors you have one that you can tweak from .625 up to 3.75, maybe even 5m if he decides to add that, and all the power output and resource stuff adjusts accordingly, this will save on part clutter and RAM, but it will also break any ships in your save that have the reactors on them, you will have to rebuild them if you update.

Oh damn. I uninstalled tweakscale because rescaled parts don't interact too well with procedural parts or fairings.

Edited by The Pink Ranger

Thaks! And reactor says that UF4 is deprived with 3000 units on board. Adding thermal energy by cheating doesn't help my engine to have some thrust. Is it known bug? And if so, for this moment, reactors and engines are just ridiculously expensive pile of scrap?

I closed out of KSP, went to game data, and deleted then replaced module manager 2.2.0.dll, the openresourcesystem folder, treeloader folder, and the warpplugin folder and my fission reactor started fissionably reacting.