Mission completion based on ships?

Hey ksp devs,

From the persistence file, it looks like the progress tracker is checking for the "returned" status of a mission on a ship by ship basis, rather than a kerbal by kerbal basis. I can see why this makes sense for unmanned probes, but there could be a problem if this system is used for a full career mode. A player who wants to transfer his/her lander pilot(s) to a mothership and dump the lander before heading home (as in the classic Apollo mission profile) will not get credited for returning from the surface.

Am I misreading the file? If not, does anyone have some thoughts on this? Thanks for your time.

Actually, I took a look. Looks like proper credit is given. :)

Just look at the 'crews' variable that stores a list of indexes representing each crew member.

Edit: By the 'crews' variable, I mean look under Landing on any SOI (like the Mun) under crew (where the 'crews' list is found).

Edited by Bandock
Added bits of info to prevent any confusion.

Actually, I took a look. Looks like proper credit is given. :)

Just look at the 'crews' variable that stores a list of indexes representing each crew member.

Edit: By the 'crews' variable, I mean look under Landing on any SOI (like the Mun) under crew (where the 'crews' list is found).

That's weird. I used a mothership to take spaceplanes to the surfaces of both Ike and Duna. It then carried both of them back to LKO.

- The plane that landed on Ike made a runway landing at KSC (with a different pilot), and I'm showing a progress entry for "return from the surface Ike"

- The pilot of the plane that landed on Duna returned to Kerbin in the mothership's crew capsule, leaving the plane that landed on Duna behind in LKO.

- I'm not showing an entry for "return from the surface of Duna".

This leads me to believe it's the craft, not the pilots, that are being tracked here. I'm not seeing any other difference between the two landings.

It's probably still incomplete, the tracking system. Like, the major groundwork for it is implemented but they've still got things to add and tweak for it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. I mean, they've got pretty big plans for missions and persistence, so there's bound to be all kinds of stuff the system will be capable of tracking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.