bigger sepatrons

This suggestion is very simple:adding sepatron which has higher thrust than the current one.

Why?

Actually,everyone who have made(or tried to) a escape tower using solid fuel will understand this suggestion:when you do an escape tower,the sepatron are the only thing you can easily use(you can use the SRB but they are really heavy).The problem is that you need a LOT of sepatron to make a decent escape tower.

You have the same problem if you try to put JATO on your plane.

This is why I ask for bigger sepatron:with bigger sepatron,you would need less sepatron to have the same result,wich mean that you will use less sepatron;this mean the escape tower will be easier to make.

Also,the rocket will have less parts,wich mean less lags!

Thank you for reading!

Do you have issues with weight when using separatrons? 4 is usually enough for me when lifting a command pod with an escapetower.

Setting engines to deactivate upon abort might help if you have trouble leaving the craft behind. But a solid-booster type between separatrons and the larger short boosters is always welcome. :)

Do you have issues with weight when using separatrons? 4 is usually enough for me when lifting a command pod with an escapetower.

Setting engines to deactivate upon abort might help if you have trouble leaving the craft behind. But a solid-booster type between separatrons and the larger short boosters is always welcome. :)

My issue is not the weight bu the part count,this is why only one of my rocket have an escape tower,this is why I think that bigger sepatron could be useful.

I make my escape tower so they can escape the rocket even at full throttle.

Anyone know a mod wich bring bigger sepatron?

I think I remember one but I didn't find it :(

My issue is not the weight bu the part count,this is why only one of my rocket have an escape tower,this is why I think that bigger sepatron could be useful.

I make my escape tower so they can escape the rocket even at full throttle.

Anyone know a mod wich bring bigger sepatron?

I think I remember one but I didn't find it :(

Alright, sorry. I had been mostly launching small command pods so I just pulled the value it took to make an escapetower right off the top of my head.

I'm sure KW Rocketry and Novapunch have some solid boosters small enough to make a fine escape tower, but KW ones might be a little long. :P

Alright, sorry. I had been mostly launching small command pods so I just pulled the value it took to make an escapetower right off the top of my head.

[...]

Yeah,I id the same thing with the one men pod.

The only problem I found is that the sepatron was making the way to the ladder harder.

Anyway,thank for the mods!

A couple of versions ago, I config edited up a half size version of the RT-10 SRB for use in escape towers and such. It worked out pretty well.

I've been doing this a lot lately to great effect. And with the new part .cfg system it's dead simple to make duplicates of stock parts with tweaked variables that would work perfectly for this kind of thing. It's nice when mod parts are available, but sometimes it's easiest to just change a stock part a little bit to fit exactly what you need, and you don't lose that stock feel, either.

I'm surprised I don't see people mention this more. Hmm, maybe a quick tutorial is in order...

You're in luck, I just whipped one up a few minutes ago.

PART
{
name = TinySolidBooster
module = Part
MODEL
{
model = Squad/Parts/Engine/solidBooster/model
scale = 0.4, 0.4, 0.4
}
scale = 0.1

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -6.25635, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_top = 0.0, 5.12735, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -2.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 1

fx_exhaustFlame_yellow = 0.0, -5.63365, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustSparks_yellow = 0.0, -5.63365, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_smokeTrail_medium = 0.0, -5.63365, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running

sound_vent_medium = engage
sound_rocket_hard = running
sound_vent_soft = disengage
sound_explosion_low = flameout

cost = 200
category = Propulsion
subcategory = 0
title = RT-05 Solid Fuel Booster
manufacturer = Jebediah Kerman's Junkyard and Spaceship Parts Co.
description = The RT-10's little brother.

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

mass = 0.125
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 7
maxTemp = 3600

stagingIcon = SOLID_BOOSTER

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngines
thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
throttleLocked = True
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 100
heatProduction = 550
useEngineResponseTime = True
engineAccelerationSpeed = 10.0
allowShutdown = False
fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.12
PROPELLANT
{
name = SolidFuel
ratio = 1.0
DrawGauge = True
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 240
key = 1 225
}

}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateHeat
ThermalAnim = heatAnimation
}

RESOURCE
{
name = SolidFuel
amount = 55
maxAmount = 55
}

}

Put that in a .cfg file somewhere inside gamedata, the location and name of the file shouldn't matter. You could even append this to the bottom of a stock part's config.

Unfortunately, it looks exactly the same in the VAB parts list as the regular SRB.

The sepatrons are OP. Does anyone else seem to have issues where engine exhaust will damage stuff but sepatron exhaust actually breaks stuff? Those things are dangerous enough. Besides, shouldn't they just make a stock escape tower?

Oh yeah, sepratrons can really easily blow up a fuel tank if you aren't careful. That's why I usually point them more up than out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.