Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tiberion

[0.24.2] TiberDyne Aerospace R&D Division - Shuttle System 3.6 Career Update!

728 posts in this topic

ufpEyL7.png

Kerballstuff has went offline. For now, you can download the latest version of the mod (3.6) from these mirrors.

http://ksp.vaalerian.net/Tiberion_62/TiberDyne_RD_-_Shuttle_System/TiberDyne_RD_-_Shuttle_System-3.6.zip

https://i.52k.de/kspmods/storage/Tiberion_62/TiberDyne_RD_-_Shuttle_System/TiberDyne_RD_-_Shuttle_System-3.6.zip

Note that this mod is out of date and may not work properly.

LICENSE:

88x31.png

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Features and changes in 3.6 (Latest version) KSP 0.24 Compatibility update

1. All engines re-exported to support new stock engine FX and new FX module - they now use the updated FX.

2. Many small tweaks to internal engine setup (thrust placement, symmetry, etc) to alleviate some Center of Thrust balance issues, especially with Orbital engines. Also adjusted gimbal ranges to reduce oscillation during SAS and Mechjeb control.

3. tweaked extending docking port modules to remove excess polygons internally to better support dokcing camera visuals.

4. Removed some excess parts (like extended AND retracted landing gear) since the tweakable system allows one part to serve both roles. This breaks old saved craft using the old landing gear - you should remove any from saved games before updating if this is a problem.

5. Other balance tweaks and things I have forgotten.

6. Most importantly, all costs were calculated based on stock scaling and approximations to balance vessel costs for career mode. Adjusted some parts' posotions on the research nodes to improve unlocking scheme. Shuttle should be fully unlockable during the mid-to-late tech tree. Entire shuttle launch stacks may be expensive.

7. Added 2 agencies to give out career contracts. Also added Part testing contract modules to various parts, so you will see those offered as test contracts. May be challenging if entire shuttle is not unlocked.

-----------------------------------------

Album of images from Previous versions:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Image Albums from past versions:

TiberDyne 3.2b

Edited by Tiberion
3 people like this

Very nice models you have there Tiberion. Can\'t wait until textures are done!

Well, booster modeling went better than expected.

JKMfb.png

QYVmH.png

Note: I\'m not aiming to accurately reproduce the Energia booster or the STS tank... more of an 'inspired by' thing.

Just need to whip up a 'flat' radial decoupler and then get some texturing done, then all thats left is balance. :)

Edited by Tiberion

Well, I got the 'thin' decoupler done, even with an unexpected invite to another dinner today :)

Also got a lot of the texture roughed in on the tanks, just lacking the main engine and the boosters, which of course are the most work.

89Sa0.jpg

BeVSg.jpg

Edited by Tiberion

I hope you will be making some wicked SAS modules for this, it looks big and will be 'FUN' to try and stay on target with standard ASAS and SAS. Great job by the way!

Getting close to a release of this - more polish tomorrow

Screenshots!

TiberDyne Aerospace is proud to share with you the details of the maiden, unmanned test-flight of the Shuttle Booster System launch package, which sent Shuttle Pathfinder into Kerbin orbit with enough fuel to bring several tons of Kerbin rocks to the Mun (Its only fair, we stole a bunch of theirs)

spFGd.jpg

Shuttle launch package undergoing assembly

59E9N.jpg

Shuttle Pathfinder passing 4 kilometers

Gb1hP.png

Pitchover fully completed, burning for LKO.

6CYJU.png

Performing rollover in preparation of final staging.

MxYRn.jpg

Shuttle Pathfinder leaving behind the SBS module, which will return to kerbin after a remote-controlled retroburn and controller splashdown (not really. It probably won\'t crash into your house. We hope.)

Edited by Tiberion

I can!

I\'d rather wait for the fuel lines.

That way the big tank can be optimized so\'s it can be carried up in space without killing out brave Kerbalnauts on the launchpad. ;)

Looks great.

Only suggestion, tone down the brown color on the booster stack a bit, it really feels out of place with the white shuttle.

I went back and forth between

http://www.celestialmatters.org/users/monalisa/images/energia1.jpg

and

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Energia_buran.jpg/319px-Energia_buran.jpg

- the sepia tinting was due to camera work I\'m sure, but I found the off-grey color looked decent, thought I\'d try it.

I may end up making some other stuff to match it, or tone it down.

Anyway, I had to do some tweaking to the shuttle engine mount, I discovered the center of thrust was off due to how low the 'center' of the C7 fuselage is in the ship, but its working now. Working on fixing the texture on it now, and then I\'ll have an initial release.

Version 1.0a released - a couple of exampe craft files included (requires C7 spaceplanes 2.1)

Looking very nice. I like the engine mount you made :).

Only one small thing, The Energia systems were white (at least according to the research I\'ve done). The brown in that image is due to the lighting conditions (agreeing with Nova here). But this is KSP! So maybe the Kerbals ran out of white paint, haha. Paint it whatever you like

I think the brown color is a nice look, like a polyurethane resin, and the web texture reminds me of some fiberglass water filter tanks I\'ve seen. Heck, I half expect the kerbals to build rockets out of toilet paper tubes, so edging the tone toward a kraft paper color is perfect for them.

I love it, great pack!. It\'s got some stability issues mostly when in atmosphere. In the video I added the retro booster and nosecone, mostly for aesthetics. Aside from the stability issues it\'s very fun to fly keep up the great work man!

No men...

3 kerbals though. They always sneak onboard.

Well since C7 has most of the cool things I wanted to do planned and underway already, I wasn\'t sure what to do next for this.

I think I found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOnlAUpYWoc&feature=related

May make the engine cluster, which can swap between the shuttle and a new payload fairing base, and then the big payload fairing apparatus there. Could be cool.

That was EXACTLY what I was expecting from square one of your project: SBS to the Mun and the degsign.

Well since C7 has most of the cool things I wanted to do planned and underway already, I wasn\'t sure what to do next for this.

I think I found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOnlAUpYWoc&feature=related

May make the engine cluster, which can swap between the shuttle and a new payload fairing base, and then the big payload fairing apparatus there. Could be cool.

WHY DOES THIS NOT ACTUALLY EXIST

Cuz they went with Constellation.

That went well.

WHY DOES THIS NOT ACTUALLY EXIST

It\'s pretty much just SLS with the engines in a different place, and the payload side-mounted.