[IMPORTANT RESEARCH - PLEASE HELP]. Figuring the average LKO altitude.

AncientAstronaut

Because I suck at circularizing my orbits I tend to go minimum 80k AP this way I don't have to worry if my PE is a bit lower. If I were to try for just outside the atmo my PE would likely be in the atmosphere.

Otherwise it is dependent on vessels. Satellites go 200k (+/- 5-10k) Stations if just a station go 90k (+/- 5k) refueling stations go minimum 500k (+/- 10k) And any orbital built ships go around 400k

I too prefer to park most things in a roughly circular 80 Km orbit above Kerbin. I end up with a lot of debris and defunct space craft there, but I will point out that I often move things from that position as well; only the most rudimentary missions go no further. Not sure how I came to choose that particular distance, but I think it had to do with it being a good 10 Km higher than Kerbin's upper atmosphere. I suppose I just like having a bit of a buffer, just in case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.