(Is this even possible?) Solar powered to orbit

you read that right. I've used a variation on Scott Manley's solar powered ion-driven plane to get into a 70x70 orbit (it took fifteen (real!) hours but hey!), I wonder if anyone else can improve on time-to-orbit or come up with a better design philosophy?

1077243_321133898022614_1852251407_o.jpg

The slowest horizontal takeoff speed I've ever achieved: 16m/s! This puppy has five ion engines and LOTS of wing.

No restrictions except no ridiculous TWR cheats/mods, no infiniglide, no null gravity or any of that rubbish. NO BOOSTER STAGES ALLOWED. In fact, let's make it interesting: only permitted means of propulsion is the stock ion engine. Scoring is 0 (didn't make orbit) or 1 (made orbit). You will need both solar panels and batteries because I guarantee you at least some of your ascent will take place at night. I'm looking for interesting solutions, folks. :)

Even just those 3 control surfaces probably add more acceleration those ion engines. I realized this when I tried to make my own ion glider. No matter how few control surfaces I used they would always contribute a significant amount. So basically, you can't do this challenge unless you add control surfaces to the restrictions.

odd... I'd just been sat there on the runway and tried flapping the flaps... and ended up falling off the back of the runway. So how does a control surface contribute to a shy-of-three-ton aircraft's thrust capability, exactly?

Also: I tried with no control surfaces and ended up doing vertical stalls on takeoff - every time. So if anything, the control surfaces induce drag not lift or thrust.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.