New maneuver node editor

regex

On Friday I cranked this out:

hyDFQN8.png

The key feature here is the ejection angle of the maneuver node. It's a feature I've wanted since I first began interplanetary travel within KSP. It's crucial, IMO, for effectively using tools like alexmun's Launch Window Planner and one of the reasons I named it "Precise Node". I still need to test the angle to retrograde (when the angle is negative, it is angle from retrograde) since I'm not entirely confident with the math, but that won't take too long.

Once I'd written the feature I figured I might as well go full bore and write a proper KSP mod to replace the key functionality of the mod I'm using (no reason to have duplicate mods) so ... future plans include additional +/- buttons, and possibly textboxes, for the delta-V stuff and "multiplier" buttons for the +/- buttons (so you can do 10 at a time or 0.01 at a time, for instance, but they'll be global to all buttons). Right now it only works with the first maneuver node but it shouldn't be that hard to allow you to page through nodes. And, of course, adding a hotkey to open the last edited node widget if needed (with an editor window that's always open I don't really see a need for it, though).

I've already had one inquiry into releasing this and was wondering if there were any wish-list features that people have for maneuver node editing? I know that people want numpad editing, for instance.

Thoughts?

Anything on that list sounds very useful. I'm not sure how you want to do the Numpad thing, in my opinion it would be the best to highlight one of the four entry fields (Time/Pro/Radial/Normal) as "active", and make Num+ and Num- change that field. The highlighted field could be changed by clicking in the edit fields (text-cursor) or additionally by a hotkey. Good look, looking forward to this one.

Here is the current widget:

RXRjW2r.png

My thoughts on the numpad controls are to just tie them into the existing +/- controls, with another button to change the multiplier. So maybe:

"8" and "2": prograde

"4" and "6": radial

"7" and "1": normal

"9" and "3": UT

"0": flip through multiplier.

Could use "+" and "-" to page through maneuver nodes on the path once I get those controls in. Have to dig out that old USB keyboard for a proper numpad...

I've decided against textboxes for delta-V since I realized it's so quick to just add more after I played around with the buttons last night. Aside from testing the angle from retrograde math (hopefully tonight), I just have the numpad controls and maneuver node paging to add before I consider it release-worthy. There's some wierdness with the maneuver node's drag widget staying open, but this is intended to be a replacement for that, so I suppose I won't worry about it.

Is there a need for a total delta-V display? The widget also stays open so long as you have at least one node which I don't really see as a problem, so maybe I should hide it unless you're in map view?

Looking good! However, i have mapped the Numpad-Numbers to translation movement for rcs and rover control. Can you somehow make sure to capture/consume the input before KSP does anything else with it? Well, i could still make sure to switch off RCS before fiddling with the nodes, but that is a potential pitfall :-)

Looking good! However, i have mapped the Numpad-Numbers to translation movement for rcs and rover control. Can you somehow make sure to capture/consume the input before KSP does anything else with it? Well, i could still make sure to switch off RCS before fiddling with the nodes, but that is a potential pitfall :-)

I'll have to look into how Unity does keyboard controls and maybe save a keymap. I'll probably just wait on that feature for now, wrap up a few glaring bugs, and release it as soon as possible.

My thoughts on the numpad controls are to just tie them into the existing +/- controls, with another button to change the multiplier. So maybe:

"8" and "2": prograde

"4" and "6": radial

"7" and "1": normal

"9" and "3": UT

"0": flip through multiplier.

There was an older maneuver node editor that used:

8/5 prograde

4/6 radial

7/9 normal

1/3 UT

That worked pretty well. Please include the ability to make the last maneuver node active by hitting a key, like the 'O' key in the Maneuver Node Improved mod.

There was an older maneuver node editor that used:

8/5 prograde

4/6 radial

7/9 normal

1/3 UT

Nice, thanks. I can start with that and then build in the ability to keymap.

Please include the ability to make the last maneuver node active by hitting a key, like the 'O' key in the Maneuver Node Improved mod.

tbh this is the last thing on my list right now, for one because the widget pretty much replaces the functionality of the maneuver node gizmo and, for two, the only way I've seen it done is by tracking node gizmo renderers and such. That's not to say I won't do it, it's just going to take some research into a better way to do it (if that even exists). I'm very new to Unity and Chash.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.