... I dun goof'd and loaded an autosave from a week ago...

Masked Turk

So yeah. I've launched several interplanetary missions and posted flags at the poles and a few other places on Kerbin since my last autosave. (I don't autosave often, so my last one that was still remembered was from a while ago.)

So when I accidentally held F9 instead of frantically pushing Key 9 (laptop keyboard, they're very close and my Key 9 is the action key for EJECT AMAGAHD11!1!), the game essentially wiped all that progress, reverting me to that save.

Is all my stuff still there in some savefile, or have I just gone and undone my past few tens of hours of work? :(

I'm afraid you have indeed lost days of work. Just remember to always quicksave (even if you don't need or use them) and regularly backup your persistence if you want to prevent it from happening again.

This is why auto save is a bad thing, kids. IORN MAN KSP!!!

E: just to be future helpful, you could always just delete the quick save file instead of frantically auto-saving all the time.

Edited by regex

If you're lucky, you MIGHT be able to recover a slightly less old version, if you're using a new enough version of windows. These directions are based on my Windows 7 ultimate

First, you need to find your presistant.sfs file, this SHOULD be in /<KSP Root Folder>/Saves/<Name you set for your Save>

Once you've found it, right click on it and hit properties. There should hopefully be a tab labeled 'Previous Versions', click on it. It'll be blank at first, but after some searching it will hopefully come up with a list of alternate Persistent.sfs files, with the date they're from and their source. There are only two possible sources: Windows-made Backups and System Restore Points. This is where the luck part comes in: Most people don't do regular backups, so you're basically dependent on there having been a system restore point created after your quicksave was, which contains a backup of persistent.sfs. None of that's guaranteed, because it's dependent on your system restore settings and how much you've used your system since you quicksaved.

If there is a newer version listed, you merely click on it then hit 'restore'. Might want to back up the current one first though eh?

But, if you're lucky, it might very well have one that's only a day old.

Edited by Tiron

If you're lucky, you MIGHT be able to recover a slightly less old version, if you're using a new enough version of windows. These directions are based on my Windows 7 ultimate

First, you need to find your presistant.sfs file, this SHOULD be in /<KSP Root Folder>/Saves/<Name you set for your Save>

Once you've found it, right click on it and hit properties. There should hopefully be a tab labeled 'Previous Versions', click on it. It'll be blank at first, but after some searching it will hopefully come up with a list of alternate Persistent.sfs files, with the date they're from and their source. There are only two possible sources: Windows-made Backups and System Restore Points. This is where the luck part comes in: Most people don't do regular backups, so you're basically dependent on there having been a system restore point created after your quicksave was, which contains a backup of persistent.sfs. None of that's guaranteed, because it's dependent on your system restore settings and how much you've used your system since you quicksaved.

If there is a newer version listed, you merely click on it then hit 'restore'. Might want to back up the current one first though eh?

But, if you're lucky, it might very well have one that's only a day old.

My god, you are legend. As a mainly mac user who just uses Win7 for games, I'd have had no idea. Found one that was last restore-point backed up yesterday, so all I've lost is a single flag; this is fantastic.

Much obliged, Tiron!

My god, you are legend. As a mainly mac user who just uses Win7 for games, I'd have had no idea. Found one that was last restore-point backed up yesterday, so all I've lost is a single flag; this is fantastic.

Much obliged, Tiron!

Glad to hear it :D

I recovered my Kethane database this way a few times when I was doing stock reinstalls to check stuff. It's a nice little trick, though not nearly as reliable as I'd like, due to it being almost entirely dependent on there still being a system restore point with the file in it.

Edit: How in the heck did I typo 'Persistent' that badly, sheesh. lol.

Edited by Tiron

Don't feel bad. Kurtjmac dun goofed the same way. Behold: http://youtu.be/LWV04czWHaQ

Just remember; in KSP, failure is always an option. That also applies to us players as well as to the kerbals. What we do with the failure is where we succeed. I hope that fix Tiron showed you helped you out, and that you wrote it down for future use.

Edited by samstarman5

As a general emergency measure, when something like that happens to me, i immediately alt-tab and stop KSP clean in its tracks. Its a bit unorthodox, but if you catch it before it has a chance to autosave itself, you can always revert your last few actions.

As a general emergency measure, when something like that happens to me, i immediately alt-tab and stop KSP clean in its tracks. Its a bit unorthodox, but if you catch it before it has a chance to autosave itself, you can always revert your last few actions.
Doesn't work if you have "simulate in background" enabled, which is useful for things like scanning/mapping.

zero i think he means alt tab out and close it immediately - as in, end process immediately. that should do the trick - unless you pass through an autosave in the time it takes you to close it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.