Node rotation definitions

oniontrain

OK, I really don\'t understand how the node rotation definitions work. I\'d like to be able to place the parachute on the roof of the Reliant, and have it face towards the camera here. I\'m not sure how to make it face that direction though, and guessing the upx, upy, and upz coordinates seems to not be working. lolwut%20copy.jpg

Does anybody know what to do here? I\'d like the cone to be facing the camera.

Couple of things to check:

Make sure your model doesn\'t have rotations applied to the actual Object (and not the meshes) in your 3d software - they dont always export into DAE properly.

if you modeled the cone with the tip pointing UP (positive Z) - then you want to attach on the Y axis facing DOWN (since Y and Z are transposed in KSP), which means:

node_attach = 0, -1, 0, 0, 0, 0

You shouldn\'t need to rotate the node using UPxyz at all.

If its not modeled 'point up' it\'ll still be the negative of wherever the tip is pointing, so if its laid over and pointing to positive X, you\'d do:

node_attach = -1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

and so on.

If you are still confused, take a screenshot of your project space in your 3d program for us.

I thought only the last three numbers affected the rotation and the first three were the offsets? Is the documentation in the wiki out of date?

To clarify I\'m working on the car, not the cone part. I want the node on the roof of the car to mount parts facing outward, mainly the parachute. I\'m just using the warhead cone because it easily shows what direction it\'s pointing.

Are you doing surface attachments, like a radial decoupler?

If so, the 1st three numbers affect which 'face' of your model will be stuck to what you\'re attaching to, and then as you attach things in symmetry, the model will be rotated automatically so it always attaches on that face.

Since you\'re trying to surface attach things to the car, you simply need to set up the car\'s node_collider (in the actual mesh file) so that it\'s roughly *just* under the surface of the car\'s mesh.

Then the orientation and rotation of what is being attached to the car is handled in that part\'s cfg file via the node_attach entry, as I described in my previous post

You CAN use a stack node to attach something in a specific place, just use the 1st three numbers in a node_stack_whatever entry to position it on the model correctly - but once again the orientation of the part is handled by the matching stack node in the attaching part, in the case of your cone you\'d want the bottom node to be on the same axis as the big end

OK, I\'m probably not explaining myself in a way that makes sense to anybody else. I can however draw a picture of what I want it to do with the parachute or whatever other part somebody wants to stick to it. Is this even possible without editing the node on the part I\'m trying to attach?

Ah the parachute - its not radially attaching so it goes on a stack node, and the node is oriented Y up.

Try Node_stack_top = X,Y,Z,0,0,-1

where X,Y,Z are the current location coordinates you\'re using, this simply tells the node to orient itself so its accepting parts on the negative Z axis

Never tried that, but it should work.

Or you can edit up the parachute to be radially attaching, like the one Captainslug made (most things that attach to the side of a part like this are radially attaching, which allows them to be placed in multiples, symmetrically and they auto-orient.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.