Who won the Space Race? Community poll

czokletmuss

Who won the Space Race?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who won the Space Race?

• USA
    • USSR
    • other (post your answer and arguments)

"And yes, I do come from a country that is culturally influenced by the USA"

Today almost the whole world under the cultural influence of the United States, reached the point that children in Russia say that the Americans were the first in space

Today almost the whole world under the cultural influence of the United States, reached the point that children in Russia say that the Americans were the first in space

Well that's just sad. Yuri Gagarin is doing barrel rolls in his grave.

Please explain, then, the SLS, Orion, and Curiosity. I'd say that's considered still running and dreaming.

Considering the budget cuts and constant reversal of plans, barely. Just barely. Space seems a costly nuisance, instead of a greater goal. Our future lies in space, but all we can do is build multi billions server parks to watch each other and fight petty wars.

That is sad and stupid. What I meant is that I come from a country on the American side of the iron curtain. I did a school project on space flight, but I can remember it only being about the US stuff. Now that the devide has been removed and I grew a little older, I see that the books I read as a child were all very American oriented. Sure, the USA did some great stuff, but reading up on the Soviet programs I can not help being amazed at least as much as I was back then about the American projects.

Traveling in the old soviet countries has opened my eyes to a different side of the story quite a bit and, of course, having the world wide web helps a lot too.

Edited by Camacha

EDIT Pressed enter to soon

I've been reading this thread for the past week or so and its quite intruiging. I didnt think this kind of argument was even possible to have on the internet any more.

I have 2 things to say.

1:Its quite a thought provoking argument mainly because there are no clear boundries. There is no defined "space race" no one has stated when the space race started (well there might be a start point) and and what point it can be classed as ended. There is no clear and conscise answer (which is why im surprised it hasnt decended into various "yo momma" insults) KUDOS internet forum

2:I would quite like to get the opinions of non US citizens/ NATO country (as they will have strong feelings one way or another) and the opinions of someone who did live in the soviet union. I'm sure theres people who have posted that meet these requirements but i do wonder if the Stereotyped US view of "U.S.A!!!! U.S.A!!!! U.S.A!!!! AMERICAAAAA F*** YEH" effects peoples opinions even if it did happen 40 odd years ago

Edited by vetrox

solar-system-exploration1.png

While I'm not sure this is completely relevant to the space race decades ago, the end result seems to point towards the US.

The USSR made it to Space & the Moon first, but we made a more stable space administration that hasn't ceased its operations. I'll vote in favor of the US this time.

solar-system-exploration1.png

While I'm not sure this is completely relevant to the space race decades ago, the end result seems to point towards the US.

The USSR made it to Space & the Moon first, but we made a more stable space administration that hasn't ceased its operations. I'll vote in favor of the US this time.

This topic is about the space race, not about today. . .

2:I would quite like to get the opinions of non US citizens/ NATO country (as they will have strong feelings one way or another) and the opinions of someone who did live in the soviet union. I'm sure theres people who have posted that meet these requirements but i do wonder if the Stereotyped US view of "U.S.A!!!! U.S.A!!!! U.S.A!!!! AMERICAAAAA F*** YEH" effects peoples opinions even if it did happen 40 odd years ago

You mean only USSR or all the communist states? My country was on the wrong side of the iron curtain but now it is the member of NATO. But anyways a lot of people has expressed their opinions and I guess at least half of them are not US citizens.

This topic is about the space race, not about today. . .

One can aruge that the space race is still going on, you know.

One can aruge that the space race is still going on, you know.

Then this is about USSR not exist. Russia didn't do anything in space, it's just have some nice engines and some still alive engineers as USSR legacy, this mostly all, and surely all things in space today is not Russian, it did nothing for long period of existing, it's' just tried to not broke completely and unlikely will begin to make something in future. So this is USA wins because USSR is dead argument again, and you need to change poll to something like USA vs CHINA.

But actually there no any race is going on, because when remained really competitive "racer" was only USA, it become boring so it prefer to bomb something, it's more entertaining.(I'm kidding)

Edited by zzz

Then this is about USSR not exist. Russia didn't do anything in space, it's just have some nice engines and some still alive engineers as USSR legacy, this mostly all, and surely all things in space today is not Russian, it did nothing for long period of existing, it's' just tried to not broke completely and unlikely will begin to make something in future. So this is USA wins because USSR is dead argument again, and you need to change poll to something like USA vs CHINA.

But actually there no any race is going on, because when remained really competitive "racer" was only USA, it become boring so it prefer to bomb something, it's more entertaining.(I'm kidding)

By the way, these engines are flying American missiles. And you're right about Russia, 20 years of underfunding impact on the Russian space program. Today in Russia starts from the beginning to learn how to fly. But seriously discussing the lunar stations and the flight to Mars :/ .Today, Russia is not poor funding of the space program.

Depends on how you define it, as some of the US is owned by Chinese and a lot of products used in the US are made by the Chinese.

It also depends on the fact that the US is the largest customer that China has, and therefore has leverage: Don't want China to get ahead? Then just wait for a few more businesses to move back to the US, then put insane tariffs on Chinese goods or boycott them all together. THEN we'll see how well China fairs after the center point its economy is structured around vanishes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.