[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

On 19/11/2017 at 1:50 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Can't, there are license issues

What is the issue? The OP states it's under the zlib license, which allows editing and redistribution so long as you give credit and a notice that it's been modified.

7 hours ago, voicey99 said:

What is the issue? The OP states it's under the zlib license, which allows editing and redistribution so long as you give credit and a notice that it's been modified.

Spoiler

Paint masks for default parts have limited distribution terms as they are derived from stock parts, though I welcome distribution of additional cfgs and masks, just not these.

This means: do not distribute the provided paint masks outside of this forum, if modifying the masks provide clear origin

Its the paint masks, see the spoiler above

I have not played KSP in a while so I have not tested KerbPaint with the latest 1.3.1 (or 2?) build but I was using it with 1.3. Normally, not much changes between minor updates that should cause a plugin to break severely so I would assume it still functions as well as it did (which was with some issues) but parts being purple (or pink) was a problem with configs calling shaders not correctly defined in the dll and maybe using OpenGL or DX11. I can't remember 100% what renderer caused an issue or if it was resolved but I'm fairly sure that was a problem at one point. The answer would be in this thread somewhere no doubt.

Anyway, I was working on correcting the configs to work with the problems I am aware of within the dll and they can be found here along with the paint masks. I must stress, it's not what I would call complete. Some only have a base layer and some may well not have a mask at all (mostly engines and parts in utility and science perhaps). Basically as is often the case, life got in the way and motivation wore thin with certain issues I cannot resolve (shadows not rendering for parts with masks). Without properly testing things myself, if you want to check KerbPaint functionality in the latest version of KSP this is what I would do...

1) Download the KerbPaint zip here.

2) Download the latest dll and replace the one from the first link.

3) Delete the KerbPaint.cfg and all the paint masks (all the files that a named XXXXX_Paint).

4) Place the files from my archive above in the appropriate folders.

Edit: The astute may notice the files contain a version number and it's not 1.3 but I assure you, many of the masks and configs were created after the 1.3 update, I just kept on naming things 122 because....reasons.

Another edit: While I say above it's not complete, it contains a lot more masks relevant to the current release than the original KerbPaint archive. Happy painting.

Edited by Manwith Noname

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2017 at 3:29 PM, Azimech said:

While I loved kerbpaint very much, it's apparently too much work to keep it stable and bug-free. The shaders are a continuing problem. It has a vastly lower memory footprint than DCK but that doesn't mean much if you're always getting half the result.

So from now on I support the excellent DCK. 

1 hour ago, ougiargi said:

how to make this work with ksp 1.3.1?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:47 AM, Manwith Noname said:

I have not played KSP in a while so I have not tested KerbPaint with the latest 1.3.1 (or 2?) build but I was using it with 1.3. Normally, not much changes between minor updates that should cause a plugin to break severely so I would assume it still functions as well as it did (which was with some issues) but parts being purple (or pink) was a problem with configs calling shaders not correctly defined in the dll and maybe using OpenGL or DX11. I can't remember 100% what renderer caused an issue or if it was resolved but I'm fairly sure that was a problem at one point. The answer would be in this thread somewhere no doubt.

Anyway, I was working on correcting the configs to work with the problems I am aware of within the dll and they can be found here along with the paint masks. I must stress, it's not what I would call complete. Some only have a base layer and some may well not have a mask at all (mostly engines and parts in utility and science perhaps). Basically as is often the case, life got in the way and motivation wore thin with certain issues I cannot resolve (shadows not rendering for parts with masks). Without properly testing things myself, if you want to check KerbPaint functionality in the latest version of KSP this is what I would do...

1) Download the KerbPaint zip here.

2) Download the latest dll and replace the one from the first link.

3) Delete the KerbPaint.cfg and all the paint masks (all the files that a named XXXXX_Paint).

4) Place the files from my archive above in the appropriate folders.

Edit: The astute may notice the files contain a version number and it's not 1.3 but I assure you, many of the masks and configs were created after the 1.3 update, I just kept on naming things 122 because....reasons.

Another edit: While I say above it's not complete, it contains a lot more masks relevant to the current release than the original KerbPaint archive. Happy painting.

wow, it actually works on stock parts (1.3.1 here). not working on pwings and it used to work on procedural parts as well, i missed this so much. thank you.

On 23/12/2017 at 3:22 AM, beaucoupzero said:

wow, it actually works on stock parts (1.3.1 here). not working on pwings and it used to work on procedural parts as well, i missed this so much. thank you.

Minus points for expressing doubt :P

Seeing as you got this far, I'll say this...the shader maps look like they are still there, it's just the configs that are missing. This old post might be useful in bringing certain parts back too. If you look at the config in "complete" KerbPaint download, you can extract the code that will paint the pwings and possibly procedural parts. Screw it...here's the code that's probably missing...

Spoiler

// Stretchy Tanks
// Special flag "StretchyFix" to deal with Stretchy tanks shader replacement

@PART[stretchyTank05m]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[stretchyTank1m]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[stretchyTank2m]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[stretchyTank3m]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[stretchyTank4m]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[stretchyTankSuper]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

// PWings Support 
@PART[Proceduralwing2]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Proceduralwing2_Paint
    Shader = Bump
    DeepReplace = true
    }
}

@PART[ProceduralwingBac9]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = ProceduralwingBac9_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    DeepReplace = true
   }
}

@PART[pAdapter]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = BaseAll_Paint
    Shader = Diffuse
    DeepReplace = true
    }
}

Couple this with the procedural wings download in the post I linked and you should hopefully be somewhere near to what you expect. Just copy the text in the spoiler and paste it in to a text file and name it "whateveryouwant.cfg"

Edit: Oh....seasons greetings and a belated merry solstice.

Edited by Manwith Noname

On 12/25/2017 at 1:19 AM, Manwith Noname said:

Minus points for expressing doubt :P

Seeing as you got this far, I'll say this...the shader maps look like they are still there, it's just the configs that are missing. This old post might be useful in bringing certain parts back too. If you look at the config in "complete" KerbPaint download, you can extract the code that will paint the pwings and possibly procedural parts. Screw it...here's the code that's probably missing...

Reveal hidden contents

// Stretchy Tanks

@PART[stretchyTank05m]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[stretchyTank1m]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[stretchyTank2m]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[stretchyTank3m]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[stretchyTank4m]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[stretchyTankSuper]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

// PWings Support 
@PART[Proceduralwing2]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Shader = Bump
    DeepReplace = true
    }
}

{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Shader = BumpSpec
    DeepReplace = true
   }
}

@PART[pAdapter]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = BaseAll_Paint
    Shader = Diffuse
    DeepReplace = true
    }
}

Couple this with the procedural wings download in the post I linked and you should hopefully be somewhere near to what you expect. Just copy the text in the spoiler and paste it in to a text file and name it "whateveryouwant.cfg"

Edit: Oh....seasons greetings and a belated merry solstice.

i`m working on it wow you are so kind!!!!! no doubts here, heh, just reporting what i found. the mere fact that it works is incredible!!!! i am really grateful for your hard work. Seasons Greetings!
 ps : i will post painted results soon!

i`ve followed your instructions and it works but with issues i will list :) the procedural parts cfg used the old parts names, i have updated that and it worked (see updated cfg in quote) but there are some weird transparency issues, some the designs are kinda extreme but the issue appears on smaller craft. it also appears that the colors bleeds into surrounding parts(note the tank under the b9 wing, 1st pic). i have no idea what causes this. it is actually pretty usable as long as i apply darker colors as the transparency makes visible some sort of shading layer of the objects around the painted object (second pic). anyway great work!

here is the album.

best.

On 12/25/2017 at 1:19 AM, Manwith Noname said:

Hide contents

// Stretchy Tanks

@PART[proceduralTankLiquid]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[proceduralTankRCS]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[proceduralTankXenon]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[proceduralTankSRB]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[proceduralTankOre]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

@PART[proceduralStructural]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = Stretchy_Paint
    Shader = BumpSpec
    Specific = side
    StretchyFix = true
    }
}

// PWings Support
@PART[Proceduralwing2]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Shader = Bump
    DeepReplace = true
    }
}

{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Shader = BumpSpec
    DeepReplace = true
   }
}

@PART[pAdapter]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = ModulePaintable
    Texture = BaseAll_Paint
    Shader = Diffuse
    DeepReplace = true
    }
}

@beaucoupzero

Heh, I would love to help but it appears your images didn't get embedded.

I should also add, I will be looking to transition my masks to the following mod going forward...

It pretty much does what KerbPaint could do and more (including things I had wished for with KerbPaint like blocking meshes....damn you black flare!...and I think multiple masks per part, which I tried in vein with KerbPaint). It's considerably more complex and not as easy to use but I feel it's the only way forward if anyone wants a system like KerbPaint provided. It's shiny (literally) and new.

I'm not suggesting you should move to it right away if you have KerbPaint working mind you since currently stock recolouring is fairly limited with Textures Unlimited at this moment. I am essentially offering these masks to someone who has made good progress on the configs in the hope it will be a reasonably speedy transition. There seems little sense in me doing the work they have already done there and them doing the work I have already done here.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/21/2016 at 7:50 PM, TheYelpfulCast said:

Yo!  I just wanted to say thanks for trying to update this mod with all of the things going on In your life, we really appreciate it and I'm looking forward to your updates. :)

... hi do you know where to Download?

Edited by Kerbal enginner bird boi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.