[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

16 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

ine 114, there's a space where perhaps there shouldn't be. Reading through this it does make me wonder though, isn't EmissiveBumpSpec then just the same as "Alpha"?

Edit: In fact, looking further, why isn't this calling "KerbPaint/Emissive/Bumped Specular"?

Good catch, yeah that would cause a problem, and the second one is probably a copy/paste mistake on my part.

24 minutes ago, gomker said:

Ok, tested and using emissive bump spec no longer causes pink parts but the lights still don't function. I looked at the shaderloader source and it's now calling just straight bumpspec...

case "EmissiveBumpSpec":
                    name = "KerbPaint/Bumped Specular";

Is there a problem with the emissive bump spec that means it can't be used?

https://github.com/gomker/kerbpaint/blob/master/Unity/kerbpaint_shaders/Assets/EmissiveBumpedSpecular.shader

I'll admit, I'm not sure how critical this is. I started just using the Emissive Specular shader and that functions well enough but I always used the bump version in the past.

45 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

I'll admit, I'm not sure how critical this is. I started just using the Emissive Specular shader and that functions well enough but I always used the bump version in the past.

You know more than I do on this subject, I know nothing about part modeling and shaders.   All I did to get this to work was take the existing shaders and update them in unity to get the proper format for loading in 1.2 - I reused methods from BDAc Code (I am on the BDA Team and JR wrote the original code).  Our main part Modeling guy (SpannerMonkey) did not have any ideas on how to get it working any better.

If you can figure out the proper shaders I will update them to whatever you think they should be :) 

32 minutes ago, gomker said:

If you can figure out the proper shaders I will update them to whatever you think they should be :) 

Well, I only know about the configs I've used in the past and how to make the shader maps. The plugin and shader code themselves is well beyond me...though I can spot things that are plain English :D

So, at this stage, what I'm seeing is if the lines starting at 113 in the shader loader source could be changed to this...

case "EmissiveBumpSpec":
                    name = "KerbPaint/Emissive/Bumped Specular";
                    break;

...then we will be back to the configs calling the right shaders to be loaded.....I think. I'd need to check each shader file to be sure but they look good aside from this so far.

Edited by Manwith Noname

31 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

I'd need to check each shader file

That is the main problem at the moment - It has been told to me that the current shaders are "inadequate" - effing ugly is what many have said :) 

@gomker

The code that creates the shader or the map that determines how the colours are applied?

I have not the foggiest clue about the code but it looks neat enough to me. The maps however...they're old and don't fit the current selection of parts in many cases, which I'm hoping to rectify...though I'm not an artist really, just indulging my creative side and hoping to not see this mod die completely through neglect on this side. My current plan is to at least get everything working with a decent base coat that doesn't cover cockpit glass...though I have a tendancy to try adding the 2nd and 3rd layers....

Spoiler

5686028F74F48AE9A10B8CD3DC2B7B143D844C03

...you can largely ignore the colour scheme. It's just so I can visualise the RGB layers from the maps. At least if I put together a complete, tidy base coat set, others can add their own flair with the green and blue layers that go on top.

Edited by Manwith Noname

@Azimech

I was going to get to that eventually. I've had a similar thought about asking a shader wizard nicely if they could take a look. Just to confirm though, shadows are still an issue and you don't need to go to the runway to notice it. In the SPH, they don't cast shadows either...well...the flag decals do. I have also encountered an issue with using "DeepReplace" that needs to be investigated as I'm not sure it happened in the past, though it may have and I just got lucky that I never encountered it.

Basically, if you have a part that uses "DeepReplace", everything appears as you would expect (there's another issue with it painting the old style flags but I can live with that as I would disable them anyway) when painting the craft you have created but when you load a saved painted craft, things get a little wonky. Firstly, every part attached to it takes on the "DeepReplaced" parts scheme. Then, if you repaint a "DeepReplace" part, every part attached to it takes on that new paint scheme as you do so. It seems from my testing however, simply hovering over the affected parts and pressing "P" will revert them back to their saved scheme. I tried playing with the "Specific" command but I feel like a blind man trying to hit a bullseye on a dart board.

On the shadows, I suspect something has changed with how KSP casts shadows or somehow the shader now overrides the component that does so. I know that something did change with shadows in KSP as Squad have acknowledged a problem with them and I have seen in one of the weekly updates they resolved it (shadows are not solid and have lines of light appearing in them). I would be tempted to see what happens with this fix from Squad as it may negate any need to start messing with KerbPaint. This fix may even have been pushed in to the 1.2.9 pre release but I'm not sure as I have not opted in to it.

Edit: Uch, typed this out once then accidently closed the tab.

Slight update on the DeepReplace issue. Most parts attached "downstream" do not take on the parents paint when loaded, they do so when you try to repaint that parent. It just so happened that the part I had connected was affected by the command and so the parent paint was applied to "seperate" parts. It seems older parts are a problem in general due to how they were made and textured. Things tend to play much nicer on the newer models.

Edited by Manwith Noname

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Skylon said:

Sooo.... this doesn't work with 1.2.2?

Yes and no. It works but some parts have problems, there are small interface issues and in some cases shadows don't show while other parts can be seen through painted parts. Plus you need to study a bit how to fetch the required files, they're scattered through this topic.

3 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Yes and no. It works but some parts have problems, there are small interface issues and in some cases shadows don't show while other parts can be seen through painted parts. Plus you need to study a bit how to fetch the required files, they're scattered through this topic.

Looks like we may need a new thread. When was the OP last seen?

Edited by Skylon

On 5/21/2017 at 10:24 PM, Manwith Noname said:

It can work and indeed, it used to work. Things have kind of got a little confusing with the recent repacking of the mod. I've just checked the old post where it was available and sadly the link is dead. All is not lost though, I am feeling kreative so I'm slowly bumbling through various parts and working on getting things functional. If you don't want to wait you can make your own config and paint scheme, it's not too hard just takes a bit of tinkering with notepad and a paint program.

Following on from above, things have got a little messy over time so the latest download with a functional dll doesn't include configs and / or paint for some parts. In some instances this will cause parts to have a very simple "cover everything in colour" scheme.

@gomker

I've been doing a bit of snooping and I noticed in the source something that might be causing the EmissiveBumpSpec shader to fail. I'm not a coder but I spotted a possible typo...

https://github.com/gomker/kerbpaint/blob/master/ShaderLoader.cs

Line 114, there's a space where perhaps there shouldn't be. Reading through this it does make me wonder though, isn't EmissiveBumpSpec then just the same as "Alpha"?

Edit: In fact, looking further, why isn't this calling "KerbPaint/Emissive/Bumped Specular"?

sorry im late. things like freinds and my birthday distracted me XD. thx tho :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2017 at 7:19 PM, Azimech said:

I'm glad I don't have this information in my head :-P
You'd have to use the search.

14th April 2016. You can just mouse over their name in the OP :P

@Skylon Ah, yes. I can remember encountering that too. I haven't got round to wheels in my ongoing update of the maps. It might be possible to avoid it with what I'm about to ask about....

I wonder if anyone who reads this my be able to throw me a bone? I don't have any 3D modelling software installed and because I'm not a 3D modeller I kinda don't want to :D KerbPaint has a command that allows a map to target a specific "sub model" (my term, don't know what else to call it). The best way I can try to explain this is with the part I'm primarily concerned about currently, the fairings.

The way the part is made, there are multiple textures for different parts of the model. The fairings themselves are obviously procedurally generated but that shouldn't be a problem as I have previously had maps working on the procedural fairings mod. The difference being, I think, the mod had one texture that covered not only the base but the procedurally generated shell too. With the stock fairings, my paint is being applied to the base only so I'm looking for a term to use with the "specific = x" command within Kerbpaint which I'm hoping will only apply the map to the shell itself. Can this term be found if the model was opened in something like Blender?

I could probably get the map applied with the deep replace command but it will still apply the paint to the fairing base I suspect....actually...I should go and try that...

Edit: Never mind, I solved it. I must have typo'd or something because I'm pretty sure I tried the solution prior to posting.

Edited by Manwith Noname

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Trekkie148 said:

I want to use this mod so much! but this is only for 1.0. But I use 1.3, So can someone please help me with getting this to work in KSP 1.3???:(

It would likely require a rewrite Since version 1.0 is vastly different from most recent releases of kerbal space program sadly due to architectural changes.

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2017 at 4:23 PM, Avedis said:

It would likely require a rewrite Since version 1.0 is vastly different from most recent releases of kerbal space program sadly due to architectural changes.

Like KerbPaint Continued :wink: Plz make that the name? I have tested this mod in 1.3 but it leaves all mk1 parts purple. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/09/2017 at 9:59 PM, Trekkie148 said:

Like KerbPaint Continued :wink: Plz make that the name? I have tested this mod in 1.3 but it leaves all mk1 parts purple. 

That's a really good idea. That would be easier to track updates if you manages to make it work in the current version cause right now all it does is make my parts turn purple.

• 3 weeks later...

While I loved kerbpaint very much, it's apparently too much work to keep it stable and bug-free. The shaders are a continuing problem. It has a vastly lower memory footprint than DCK but that doesn't mean much if you're always getting half the result.

So from now on I support the excellent DCK. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.