[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

Most recent Download (1.0) ->
Please refer to This Post for Selfish_Meme and Manwith Noname's version.

Mod is currently being community-maintained by Manwith Noname and Selfish_Meme, I am not actively playing Kerbal Space Program but may come back to update the mod once 1.1 is mature.

Source -> 
(source)
As of March 30th 2016, the code is now under Zlib. I've updated the source file to include that license, though updating the mod to work past 1.1 may be an issue.

Resume older post (2013):

KerbPaint - Part Painting

Download (Updated September 23rd)

KerbPaint is a shader replacement addon that adds alternate versions of all of KSP's builtin shaders designed to permit recoloring of select parts.

Painting is accomplished by the use of the "P" Key to both select and highlight parts for painting, then tuning the paint colors and layers using the interface.

I love screenshots. They are what fuel me and get me through my day. Please share screenshots of your painted crafts!

At the moment there is support for all stock fuel tanks, several command pods and most stock aero surfaces. While authoring new paint masks is fairly quick, the shear volume of them makes the process of complete support fairly daunting, but expect constant paint and .cfg updates with this mod until stock support is complete.

Because of Module Manager, it does not break compatibility with anything (Except probably Universe Replacer)

Adding/removing this mod should not break any save files or affect save compatibility. It does not add or require any parts.

Updates:

September 14th 
 Release
September 15th
 Fixed DYJ PWings support
 Added "Specific" Config option
 Added "DeepReplace" Config option
 Added tutorial to the Imgur Gallery
 Previously unpaintable Aero-surfaces have been corrected
 Some work on making fairings paintable, still having issues :'(
September 16th
 Broke Aero surfaces to fix a bug with SRB particles
 Managed to fix Aero and solve bug, but broke DYJ PWings
  After hammering it for a while, not having any luck fixing Pwings, disabled for release
 Integrated Stretchy Tanks
  Didn't end up deriving the paintmask, did it blindly, so no license issue with distributing the integration (It would have been CC-Atr-Sharealike anyways, so not a big deal)
  Had to write a special handler for Stretchy tank texture swaps, added StretchyFix field to ModulePaintable
 Still working out how to best override materials, fairings working but not displaying properly
 I swear I'll get PWings working for a release not not break it before build eventually
September 16th B
 All Aero surfaces done
 Three more pods added
 Solar panels added
 Inline docking port added
 21+ new parts supported
September 23rd (A little sooner if you downloaded during the forum outage)
 40+ new parts supported
 All Spaceplane Cockpits
 All Spaceplane fuselages
 Some Fairing support (Still misbehaving)
 Rewrote material access and shader caching
  No more disk access for each part
  Materials don't leak (For the most part)
 DYJ's Procedural Wings Working (Whoo)

Known Bugs

Menu pops up at odd times during flight if not closed in VAB. Stays closed once closed though. - Partial fix

Loading vehicles in VAB may misapply paint or shaders when loading a whole craft, only in VAB, it all works after launch. - Mostly fixed, lurking edge cases

Rarely propulsion particles may be broken, I'm a bit confused as to why, if anyone finds a consistent reproduce please share.

Plans:

Finish adding support for stock parts - 98% Done!

Fairings! Fairings are the major element that stand out at the moment as out of place - 50% Done! Works in VAB, not sure why failing in flight

More mod support (Suggestions for mods to integrate?)

Implemented: PWings, Stretchy Tanks

Next: KW Rocketry

Installation:

Contents of the folder go into GameData, so that your structure should look like .../GameData/KerbPaint/Plugins/PluginData/KerbPaint/

Paint masks live inside the KerbPaint plugin data folder as "_Paint" files. They are actually png images, however to prevent KSP from loading the images outside the plugin they have been stripped of extension.

Additional configs can be placed inside the GameData/KerbPaint/Plugins folder to add custom paint masks, a description of the process is inside the stock config

Licensing:

Makes use of ModuleManager

Paint masks for default parts have limited distribution terms as they are derived from stock parts, though I welcome distribution of additional cfgs and masks, just not these.

This means: do not distribute the provided paint masks outside of this forum, if modifying the masks provide clear origin.

Paint masks for mods use textures derived from other mods and are thus subject to additional terms.

Procedural Wings Paints derived with permission from DYJ

Stretchy Tanks Textures done blindly (It happened to work)

At the moment the source is provided only by necessity, and is not to be used beyond learning purposes. This is may change.

This mod is released, for the time being, for no external distribution or revision except where otherwise listed (The paint masks)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Texel
Changed license as that'd been bothering people and redirected the download to the Community's posts rather than my own.

If you load a ship with paint on it without the mod installed, the paint won't be there and will be lost next time the ship is loaded, but it will not delete or break the craft in any way. (You can paint it again in orbit if you reinstall)

I suggest B9 support. The B9 pack seems to be very popular, B9 (as I understand it) is now a squad dev so chances are some of his parts will become stock, and the biggest complaint I see about B9 is that the look and feel don't match the stock parts.

The ability to "paint" the B9 and stock parts would probably resolve that complaint.

I also suggest Kethane support since its extremely popular and the storage tanks are just white with a green stripe.

Pushed out a quick update to address some things, previously it didn't handle multi-material meshes or skinned meshes (whoops), now it does, which makes a good number of the aero-paints that were sitting around functional.

Secondly, I added an image-tutorial to the imgur gallery explaining how to author and add new paint templates, so I'm hoping to see people make some nice things.

To answer some questions:

By mutli-material you mean multiple {model} parts ? (anyway i will test this ;) ) Great work

Yes, but not exclusively, I mean materials in the Unity-sense. I have a tentative fix in for this one, but may not be applicable to more complex setups (Spaces in particular)

So, basically, is it a pack of differently colored textures, that can be reloaded in game?

Great thing! I assume that it is rather easy to make custom textures for stock and mod parts.

Is it time to expect various user-made packs like for the universe replacer mod?

I provided some details on how the paint maps are authored, I hope that helps explain how it works. The shaders actually convert the stock textures to HSV space, set the hue, increment/decrement the saturation, and multiply the value, then blend it using the paint mask. It's a bit elaborate, but it means the paint masks can be very simple and the recoloring is high fidelity and doesn't blow out highlights or over-darken like standard color or multiply blends. I am hoping people distribute packs, I wrote it with that in mind, and to try to make it easy to author additional textures.

Very nice, though i try not to use mods that add/modify parts, so i won't be using this

This mod doesn't add any parts, and the only modification is through ModuleManager. With KerbPaint in, you can still go through the entire stock experience with no discernible differences until you decide to paint your craft, and the mod uninstalls cleanly without loss of save file.

Support for X

I have permission to add KW already, and PWings is now fully functional. I need to actually obtain permission from various mod authors however as the process for paint maps derives from textures they create, so I can't go distributing files I didn't author. I've briefly spoken with Majiir over Kethane support, which ultimately came down to it depends on if I can make paintsets that don't detract from Kethanes really neat distinctive style and are well received with Kethane artists, so Kethane is a "Maybe", I'd want to finish stock support first.

I've briefly spoken with Majiir over Kethane support, which ultimately came down to it depends on if I can make paintsets that don't detract from Kethanes really neat distinctive style and are well received with Kethane artists, so Kethane is a "Maybe", I'd want to finish stock support first.

I hope by that he doesn't mean 'must keep the green somewhere.' All the Kethane stuff looks nice, but sometimes green just doesn't suit the rest of my space station x.x

I hope by that he doesn't mean 'must keep the green somewhere.' All the Kethane stuff looks nice, but sometimes green just doesn't suit the rest of my space station x.x

I disagree, Kethane already has a distinctive look and they'd be reasonable to refuse outright HOWEVER there is no shortage of mods out there that neither have that consistent style or the other thing that makes them look really good, some of these could really gain from such attention along the way. B9 is a likely candidate as they can be hard to match even though they are already so accomplished (oh to be able to get rid of a black bottom) but personally you shouldn't do anything until Procedural Tanks have stopped quoting Henry Ford at us "Any customer can have a car tank painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black white."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.