[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

Wait, did you make a YT video with that, something like Kerbal war? Seems like i watched a vid with that ship in it. I agree seeing that thing painted would be amazing. maybe like a dirty color.

Pretty sure that that is one of Macy's ships.

s8tcSbk.png

Here is another one of my company's ships. The Salvation class destroyer

This pic was taken during her first battle

Sense my company's main colors are White and Gold, imagine if I can add white to the structural panels with gold solar panels and fuel tanks

on op can u add a step by step in written instructions on how to change the textures for other mods to use this? having teh pics are nice but i work better with written instuctions

The pictures at the end of the album in the first post explain how to do this. But I'll take a shot at quick instructions.

First, you need the texture files, and to be able to open them in photoshop (or at least get a new file started with matching dimensions). I use the MBM converter for unity for this (it's on the forum somewhere).

Once you've got them open, it is easy.

Make a new layer, fill it in with black (may want to set layer opacity here so you can see what you're working on.)

In the red channel, select the area you want to have the base coat and fill it in.

Repeat for the other two channels, making two new coats.

Set layers green/blue to additive.

Save as png and remove file extension (mypart_Paint)

Put into KerbPaint folder with the other _Paint files.

Add to cfg file (KerbPaint.cfg or new cfg file). (You'll have to experiment with types of shaders/deep replace and the other options here to get it to work nicely for you).

Side note: @Texel - When I reload all database from the debug menu, KerbPaint no longer functions (no colors, 'P' does nothing) - until I quit KSP and reopen it. Anyone else have this problem?

The pictures at the end of the album in the first post explain how to do this. But I'll take a shot at quick instructions.

First, you need the texture files, and to be able to open them in photoshop (or at least get a new file started with matching dimensions). I use the MBM converter for unity for this (it's on the forum somewhere).

Once you've got them open, it is easy.

Make a new layer, fill it in with black (may want to set layer opacity here so you can see what you're working on.)

In the red channel, select the area you want to have the base coat and fill it in.

Repeat for the other two channels, making two new coats.

Set layers green/blue to additive.

Save as png and remove file extension (mypart_Paint)

Put into KerbPaint folder with the other _Paint files.

Add to cfg file (KerbPaint.cfg or new cfg file). (You'll have to experiment with types of shaders/deep replace and the other options here to get it to work nicely for you).

Side note: @Texel - When I reload all database from the debug menu, KerbPaint no longer functions (no colors, 'P' does nothing) - until I quit KSP and reopen it. Anyone else have this problem?

thanks for the instructions.

fyi when u reload ingame alot of mods that are dependent on modmanager or even some .dll dstop working right

No reason someone couldn't modify the source to add a hotkey to manually trigger a MM run-through and fix that, though.
YES PLEASE. I'm considering doing an aesthetic conversion of some stock parts that would really benefit from ModuleManager, but having to reload the game each time takes way too long for iterative testing.

Thanks! I did not know that, I don't use MM for anything else. Sounds like an excuse for me to go mucking about in the source, maybe see if it can be triggered when the database is reloaded.

Hmmm....I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work...can't figure out how to paint it.

press the P button over a part you want to paint. It takes a lil bit of time to really learn how to use it. Also not all stock parts are compatible yet

I know. It brings up the paint window, but the part evidently does not change colour when I select it in the window. Also, it would be nice if someone could make a youtube video.

Edit: My bad, it turns out that Kerbpaint doesn't work well with some mod managers. But I seem to have found some problems with the Solid Rocket Booster.

Edited by SDIR

Wow, this is an amazing plugin - Squad should definitely add this kind of feature to stock one day :) Hopefully the couple of gaps in supported stock parts can be filled soon - the one-man lander can's depressing grey rather clashes on shiny colourful ships :) Also can't wait for KW support!

You mean structural panels right
Wow, this is an amazing plugin - Squad should definitely add this kind of feature to stock one day :) Hopefully the couple of gaps in supported stock parts can be filled soon - the one-man lander can's depressing grey rather clashes on shiny colorful ships :) Also can't wait for KW support!

At the moment, I don't have any plans to do the unpainted metal parts, like the Lander-can, the metal plates, Xenon Tanks, or parts that have a distinct purposeful coloration, like the Ion-Engines, largely because they are just solid metal and don't have any obvious repaint-able aspect, or repainting.

Been busy with life past few days, but I've been working my way through B9 support while trying to solve some of the remaining material selection problems.

iLmOj0A.png?1

At the moment, I don't have any plans to do the unpainted metal parts, like the Lander-can, the metal plates, Xenon Tanks, or parts that have a distinct purposeful coloration, like the Ion-Engines, largely because they are just solid metal and don't have any obvious repaint-able aspect, or repainting.

Been busy with life past few days, but I've been working my way through B9 support while trying to solve some of the remaining material selection problems.

iLmOj0A.png?1

Oh god yes. Oh god, yes.

I love you for doing this.

I understand, but urge you to reconsider; it can be a bit jarring when the only, and very obviously, unpainted part on the entire craft is the (one kerb) can or structural panel(s). Please at least give us a "paint the whole thing one flat color" option for such parts.

Whatever your decision, thanks again for this remarkable mod.

I hope you rethink just one colour for the entire thing.Some things I've been doing.

http://i.imgur.com/Tt9LFxz.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/LzjhZtB.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/U3lPD1l.png?2

http://i.imgur.com/LSVnz38.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/4Dii0rt.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/phf6kra.png?1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXfRCSJnprU

still love it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.