[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

Its not a texture replacer, its more like layering colored shaders over the original textures using red-green-blue settings, so all the original details are maintained, yet you can switch the colors on those details.

I'm new to this place, so what I'm about to do might not be allowed and thus if the author of this thread wants, I'll take it down. I saw a lot of people wanted the structural panels and to be honest I wanted them too, so I real quick in photoshop made up a shader map. It is horrid compared to this authors but hopefully it holds you all over until the author updates.

So, yeah, they work, and here's a plane I made to show them off a little.

I call it the buttugly, and apparently those panels are damn heavy as my plane crawled down the runway. It did eventually take off though. :cool:

The buttugly was surprisingly stable in the air... until I tried to turn just a little too hard.

With the RAIPER engine pointing straight down I watched as the speed very slowly dropped, and unsurprisingly it exploded on impact with the water.

Amazingly enough, the structural panels absorbed enough of the impact that Jeb survived.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Well, apparently I'm too new for attachments.:blush: So later, if you guys decide you like my crappy panels and the author doesn't say no, I will post the two files that went into this.

Hope you guys like my plane though. :wink:

So, something odd happened when I tried to make the parachutes themselves paintable

Is this fixable, or is it an artifact of the mod?

I find it interesting that the darn thing looks like a giant balloon

Edited by Tenneko Kazeno

So, something odd happened when I tried to make the parachutes themselves paintable

http://imgur.com/a/9sHFe

Is this fixable, or is it an artifact of the mod?

I find it interesting that the darn thing looks like a giant balloon

Are you trying to paint the chute or its attachment point? It seems like Kerbpaint is overriding the chutes transparency, which I think means you have cant edit its color without this happening. If you added your own paint maps and a entry for them in the kerbpaint file then you will likely have to delete them.

OOOOR you have Fallback Part Shaders enabled in settings.

Also, how did you get the top nub of the chute holder to be paintable? Parts like shrouds always revert back to default grey when I go from VAB to launchpad. Whats up with that?

First, I managed to fix the parachute. It turned out it was a shader option problem. The mod author supplied a set of shaders to use on the parts so it was just a matter of choosing the right option.

Second, Sentmassen I do not know if it makes a difference but I purposely left the inside area of the parachute holder uncolored and it never switched on me. When making the map, the top of the holder actually has two pieces in the texture, a small inside one, and a larger outside one, i only painted the outside one. Though to be honest I do not think that is why its not working for you. Which shader option are you using as that heavily affects when the paint is applied and how. I suggest cutoff if your painting the whole chute or bumped if all your doing is painting the base.

Next, Impwarhamer the first post has a set of images that explains how to make new shader maps, though you need a mbm to png converter and a good photoediting program that lets you modify individual color channels. I use a really old copy of Adobe photoshop and its worked fine. Also, I'm going to wait a few days before posting any of these maps to give Texel time to see me and say yes or no. If after I post them Texel wants them gone, I will remove them, no problem. I even give Texel permission right now to add any of the maps I make for this to the mod and alter them any way he wishes, same with the config files.

Finally, I had to go back and completely redo the panel maps so they now have three areas of color if you want. Also, due to a mistake I made while doing the parachute map, for the color on the orange part to come out good, max opacity has to be used, plus a good deal of saturation.

Edited by Tenneko Kazeno

Second, Sentmassen I do not know if it makes a difference but I purposely left the inside area of the parachute holder uncolored and it never switched on me. When making the map, the top of the holder actually has two pieces in the texture, a small inside one, and a larger outside one, i only painted the outside one. Though to be honest I do not think that is why its not working for you. Which shader option are you using as that heavily affects when the paint is applied and how. I suggest cutoff if your painting the whole chute or bumped if all your doing is painting the base.

http://imgur.com/a/0ziOH

I didn't even know there was such an option.

On another note, what have you been using to convert SQUAD textures. Other peoples mods I can typically handle but there is something about SQUAD textures that make them hell for me to convert. Ive been resorting to changing them to .RAW files but then I cant seem to get a honest conversion of the file.

Right now I'm trying to correct the color of the materials bay experiment (the greys are slightly darker than norm) as well as get a paint map on it. Playing with it has yielded mixed results.

I guess the doors for it are considered separate. Any idea how I could make them printable?

Also, one of the things I want to do is try to add cockpit lights to the stock parts. But there may be a conflict. I have FASA which has the gemini pod. It has a the ability to light up its windows, but after I made it paintable, the lights no longer were visible. So I'm wondering if there was some way to keep them from conflicting

Well, I use a small program called mbm2png https://www./?yfrtouj6n9zt943 It is really simple, just move the mbm to the texture folder, run the converter, and out comes a perfect png. If you put the mbm in the texture folder, in the converter you have to type textures\filename. You can delete most the other files in this rar as they are just for converting .mu model files, or separate run versions for use on Linux or Macs.

But, I think the problem with the doors is the same one as you have with the parachute. First try changing the shader option in the cfg file. If that doesn't work, if you look at the texture, it has the front and the back of the door beside each other, so it may be for animated parts you can't shade both sides. I will take a look at mapping the materials bay to see if i can actually figure out the problem. Also, don't use the Alpha shader option as it makes the texture partly see-through in game. :huh:

As for the window lights, it may be possible. For stock squad parts, all light emitting parts have an additional texture, usually named filename_emit.mbm, that is set to overlap the lit areas. I do not know enough to tell you how to add such a thing to preexisting parts. As for FASA's part, have you tried carefully editing the map such that the windows are not shaded. If you have and it didn't help, most likely there is a conflict with how the program is reading the emission textures that FASA most likely used. Once again though, it could be a shader option problem. Given I think you need the windows to be ignoredby Kerbpaint, your best option is to change the shader option to cutoff or cutoff bump which as far as I can tell hard enforces emission and invisible textures.:D

I hope this helps. I do not use FASA so I won't be mapping their parts, sorry. I wish you luck and hopefully between us and Texel we can get some mod support up. I'm planning to work on Kethane, Lackluster, and B9 if I have time. Also, in his last posts, Texel said he was working on KW Rocketry, so with you doing FASA that would cover most of the big mods.:)

Hmm, actually it looks like I won't be able to check the science jr., nor any of the science parts as their textures aren't in their folder, at least those can't be their only textures as nothing i do to them has any affect. What textures are you using/what folder were they in?

Edited by Tenneko Kazeno

REVELATIONS!

That mbm2png is super useful. And I'm starting to wrap my head around the shader options.

The materials bay seems like a mess though. I got it semi working. I can paint the doors and sides but at the cost of the transparencies and lights not working. I think I have shadders set to Diffuse and DeepReplace activated. The other shadders seemed to cause it to go transparent or turn a light blue. There may be something to using Specific but I have no idea what flag to use.

Sentmassen, try setting Specific to side. Also remember, Specific and deepReplace do not work together well

Just a status update thing. I've taken my first steps with LackLusterLabs compatability. All the engines but the large nuc are now paint-able, had to muck around with DeepReplace rather than Specific to get them working. I also plan to redo the parachute soon.

Edited by Tenneko Kazeno

I can't really take over this mod because at its core it has a plugin, and I have no coding ability. But I can work within the licenses of this mod and others so that I can provide addons which allow for compatibility with other mods. We will be in trouble if in the next update the plugin part of this mod breaks, so hopefully the author continues working on that.

As for B9, I won't start on that till I'm done with LackLuster but I do plan to do it.

It would be really helpful if someone would put up a list of stock parts not yet supported so I can work on those as well. However, I seem to be unable to do the science jr. or the goo as there textures are not where they should be, but Sentmassen is working on at least the science jr. so maybe if he gets it working it will appear here as well.

I've updated the parachute

The dragon was a free use tattoo design and is set to be the same color as the parachute holder.

Edited by Tenneko Kazeno

I am not sure if this is a comprehensive list but from what I have found the following parts lack support:

MKI Lander Can

All the Probes(maybe cant remember off top of my head)

Struts/fuel lines(not sure if its possible to change these)

Cubic octagonal strut

Modular girder Adapter

Modular girder segment

modular girder segment XL

octagonal strut

M-Beam 650,200 and pocket edition

the not rockomax micro node

structural panels

Clampotrons(may just be my game)

As I mentioned I am not sure if this is complete just what I have noticed if there are any I missed or added by accident please feel free to berate and fix. Thank you all for working on this project.

I did notice an earlier post for the structural panels and am curious if they have been released yet?

I'm willing to put up the panels and parachute right now, but would you guys prefer me to start a new thread for the future updates to the addons?

These shader maps are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License by Tenneko Kazeno. All this means is give me credit and you can alter them and use them in other mods. I would like to be informed though. Also keep in mind i have no say over the mod itself, only these addons.

Stock Addon V.1

Struts

Cubic octagonal strut

Modular girder Adapter

Modular girder segment

modular girder segment XL

These are currently working and will be in the next update. I'm still working on the beams. I do not know if fuel lines will work, but if I can find their texture i can make a shader map for them and try.

Also, for those still having the odd texture glitch on rocket fx, the best way to fix this is to download the hotrocket FX mod, or any mod that changes the engine fx. Despite what this mod's author believed, the texture glitch was actually a rare stock problem and not caused by this, so even without this mod it could happen, this mod just makes it far more likely to happen.

Edited by Tenneko Kazeno

Next update is ready. The I-Beams are odd as the shader map didn't work perfectly, if you make them one color for all channels they work fine otherwise the colors are spotty. Also for struts, the second part will sometimes lose the texture on the launchpad.;.;

Stock Addon V.2

-Struts

-I-Beams

-girders

-Mk.2 to mk1. adapter

-Changed the layout of the .cfg file so please delete parachutesingle.cfg and structuralpanel1and2.cfg if you installed Stock Addon V.1, also allow this to overwrite anything it asks as the original mod had a mk.2 to mk.1 adapter shader map that didn't work.

OLD

Stock Addon V.1

-parachuteSingle

-StructuralPanels

These shader maps are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License by Tenneko Kazeno. All this means is give me credit and you can alter them and use them in other mods. I would like to be informed though. Also keep in mind i have no say over the mod itself, only these addons.

I'm encountering a bug with Kerbal Paint and Stretchy tanks,

when cycling through the textures, the patterns tend to not cycle with them, stripes where there shoulde be no stripes and such.

This only happens when Kerbpaint is installed and the debug menu isnt really pointing anything out,

Didnt find anything mentioned about it here or in the stretchy tanks thread.

Would be awesome if you guys knew a fix for it :)

Thanks for the great work btw

I'm encountering a bug with Kerbal Paint and Stretchy tanks,

when cycling through the textures, the patterns tend to not cycle with them, stripes where there shoulde be no stripes and such.

This only happens when Kerbpaint is installed and the debug menu isnt really pointing anything out,

Didnt find anything mentioned about it here or in the stretchy tanks thread.

Would be awesome if you guys knew a fix for it :)

Thanks for the great work btw

This is because these are not textures but shader maps so there are no patterns overall. What this means is we can put almost any design of a single color on top of the squad textures. As such, the author of this mod set it to say primary paints entire part, while secondary makes strips, and tertiary is a diffuse pattern. And, this is a little different on each part so the only way to change it would be to go in to each part and remake their shader maps. The simpler solution is to realize if you want strips set primary and secondary to different colors, while no strips would be primary and secondary same color.

Now, if you mean you are using the pattern option instead of the solid option, all that does is puts on a bunch of preset primary/secondary/tertiary sets, so yes some of those options would have strips and some would not. Just play around with the options till it does what you want, then try and remember what you did for next time.

Now if this really is a bug as in for some of the stretchy tanks secondary is not working at all then please reply calling me an idiot and list which tanks are messed up. Hopefully if it is a bug its a problem I can actually fix such as in the .cfg or the map and not in the plugin.

I hope this helped you.

Edited by Tenneko Kazeno

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.