Rail guns!!!

Bleekosa

Hey everyone, I haven't posted in while here and I've had these wonderful creations for quite a while now so I thought it was time to share them.

there are 4 crafts in total and they all work in a similar fashion, hit space to load a round into the chamber, and press 1 twice to fire the round. A relatively high rate of fire can be achieved with a bit of practice, aprox. 30rpm.

here is the download link for all 5 crafts: http://rapidshare.com/share/BE8E138D0846100D57FA0F31ACD7DD1B

A brief rundown of all 5 crafts(UPDATE: found old orbital railgun design,posted below)

A. Orbital Rail gun

a1RK8WF.png

A modification of my first space railgun design, this baby weighs so much that recoil is not a problem, but that does make it difficult to get into space :P This version has 1/2 meter ammo but the design was originally built to use 1 meter ammo so both can be used. it's muzzle velocity varies in strange ways compared to the weight of the ammo but hovers somewhere around 1.2 km/s. U can also fit an mk1 cone capsule as ammo and de-orbit a kerbal very efficiently :) 1: toggle main gun 2: toggle aerospikes 3:toggle nervas 4:toggle lv-t30's 5:toggle solar panels

1. basic rail gun

XpLE5I1.png

A basic rail gun, and also my original design. the ammo can get stuck sometimes and it needs to be shaken out by using the railgun and firing in short burts until it falls into the chamber. but overall satisfying and reliable. It will need a simple base structure before it can be fired, and some more fuel wouldn't hurt.

2. Velvet wasp EML Interceptor

Zmm4Dju.png

An orbital space rail gun, it has no chamber where a round can wait until it is fired so it needs to be fired immediately after you hit space. It will lose delta V when it fires but you can use the back engines to balance it out. It also has three small docking ports where extra ammo clips can be stored, allowing for creativity with ammunition. 1: toggle gun 2:toggle main engines 3:toggle medium size docking ports 4:toggle solar panels

3. Panther EML Destroyer

KR8FFai.png

A destroyer equipped with the latest in rail gun technology. With its new, high powered main gun capable of muzzle velocities in excess of 1700 m/s (maybe more since this was tested in atmosphere, I wouldn't be surprised if tested on the mun showed its muzzle velocity to be ~2km/s), and a new high density anti-cling guided ammo clip. Its top safe cruising speed is 25 m/s (1/3 throttle with the jets) and it need to be slowed to below 0.4 m/s after each firing otherwise the ammo falls out of the chamber. 1:toggle main gun 2:toggle jet engines 3:toggle communotrons 4:toggle ladders

4. Panther EML Main Gun

v21L3Ye.png

The main gun of the Panther, can be re-attached to a new craft (but mk3 command pod is starter piece) but fully functional in its current form.

Coming soon: Rail gun airplane

umITKiZ.png

Imgur album:

http://imgur.com/a/YTlV5#0

enjoy! :)

P.S. How do I embed Imgur albums?

Edited by Bleekosa
new craft

Rocket propelled trusses? Nice!

I think the term is the "Blast Wave Accelerator".

I was thinking of calling it a "pulsed wave mass driver" but rail gun just rolls of the toungue better, not to mention people know right away what rail gun means :P

Don't the space versions have a helluva lot of recoil?

Also, how good are they at piercing armor? I'd be interested in using them in my numerous tanks....

1059xQZ.png

The recoil decreases as the mass of the craft increases, and since this kind of space rail gun can be extremely heavy (I had a 200 ton version, but it got lost when 2.1 came out)

the recoil is not as much as you might think, and you can always balance this out by doing a small burn afterwards with the main engines.

as for armor piercing, I wouldn't know as I suspect my computer just isn't powerful enough to calculate the collision of two objects moving relatively at more then 400 m/s so the

bullets just glitch through the target. I've tested this many times on my computer and this always happened, however on my friends gaming mega tower It seems to work, although

I didn't have the time to properly test it. It'd be interesting to see if someone else could find a way of solving this issue.

HOW ARE THESE MADE!!! :o

I've made similar guns on my ships but they are much more bulky, have less ammo and only fire the shots at 300m/s. (Still enough to damage most things)

The mainsail powered one i'm yet to test can probably fire up to ~600m/s which is still nothing on yours!!

Mind if I use this design on my ships?

pretty please :P

to me, raliguns are interesting but no more than a fascinating but delicate hobby. I go for gusto.

7CgsJ0J.png

Gusto is always good, and definitely more kerbal :P

HOW ARE THESE MADE!!! :o

I've made similar guns on my ships but they are much more bulky, have less ammo and only fire the shots at 300m/s. (Still enough to damage most things)

The mainsail powered one i'm yet to test can probably fire up to ~600m/s which is still nothing on yours!!

Mind if I use this design on my ships?

pretty please :P

If I didn't wan't people using my design I wouldn't have posted it on the forums. Of course you can use it! just remember to give credit where its due, and if you can improve upon the design :)

• 4 months later...

I've only built 1 rocket-accelerated massdriver, but it was very similar to the mass relay concept - one of the main engines used to offset the thrust of the gun, firing .5m semi-guided shells. Managed to nail my Mun Space Station from the surface.

This inspired me. So far, I'm looking at a prototype whose projectiles phase through armor but not through 1.25m or 2.5m fuel tanks or other important stuff. Consistently. But even if they didn't phase the projectiles are metal plates at ~400m/s, so though luck armor. Reloadable from the side, I just have to design the aesthetic package around it. Very much inspired by spartwo's and soldier hairs, but much more economical in fuel, since it uses a LV-T30, I think their method is much less complex and probably more effective.

Rune. Oh, and the functional bits are 6 parts + 2 each shot, in magazines of five.

The actual change in dV is around 600m/s, but the atmosphere glitches out for some reason.The closest thing i can think of is when you crash a plane, a control surface survives and flaps itself to high speeds.The difference is that my thing glitches out every time.I have FAR installed, made it in 0.22, still works fine in 0.23 and it even achieved higher speeds (replace the 7 from the start with an 8).What's interesting is that the vehicle gets reentry effects when it shoots and you are switched to the projectile.And it works even if you are not switched to the projectile, if you shoot while looking at the vehicle, the projectile vanishes.You can't see it go (well, at that speed, i'm not surprised).

I'm trying to convince myself that i shouldn't consider this a bug, but a feature.KSP physics are... different.

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.