Nertea

[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: Far Future Technologies [new testing release 03/03/2017]

1992 posts in this topic

Hmmm... Potential bug with the antimatter collector and detectors.

Went to Jool, just above the atmosphere via stock "Set Orbit" cheat, and the ZAP detector came up empty. Same thing with the scoop. Same story with the gas giants of the Outer Planets Mod.

Is this normal, or am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Hmmm... Potential bug with the antimatter collector and detectors.

Went to Jool, just above the atmosphere via stock "Set Orbit" cheat, and the ZAP detector came up empty. Same thing with the scoop. Same story with the gas giants of the Outer Planets Mod.

Is this normal, or am I missing something?

I think it depends on altitude. I found nothing at minimum altitude and at 5x minimum, but hit a sweetspot at 2x minimum alt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gryphorim said:

I think it depends on altitude. I found nothing at minimum altitude and at 5x minimum, but hit a sweetspot at 2x minimum alt.

So, 2x the altitude of the upper fringes of the atmosphere? Huh. Will investigate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

So, 2x the altitude of the upper fringes of the atmosphere? Huh. Will investigate.

I'll clarify that "minimum altitude" was minimum altitude the "set orbit" cheat allowed. So 2x that.

Edited by Gryphorim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. Well, that certainly clears things up. Will look into that tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh. Not only am I not finding antimatter, the ALICE sensor doesn't pick up any helium 3 or deuterium in the atmosphere of Jool, either. Plenty of hydrogen (37.35%), though. :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2017 at 0:45 PM, Gryphorim said:

 Loving the far future propulsion tech. One question though: is there any plan to add some far future electrical generation tech?

I say this, as if ICF Fusion and antimatter catalysed effects can be used for propulsion, surely there would be similarly advanced electrical generation means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2017 at 9:24 PM, helaeon said:

I'm having the same issue. I have a huge huge part list though so not ruling that out. I'll pop in if I can figure out the result.
From Kaa253's response I'm expecting it's a mod conflict or maybe MM config causing an issue.

If anyone has any ideas I'm also not seeing the Z-pinch engines in sandbox.

SOLUTION: Use the release Nertea linked a while back (it's also in the OP), not the github repo. I have a feeling it has to do with the ChargedEngines module that is in-progress.

Yes, using the released version is best.

On 5/14/2017 at 7:45 PM, Gryphorim said:

 Loving the far future propulsion tech. One question though: is there any plan to add some far future electrical generation tech?

Not really.

On 5/17/2017 at 7:41 PM, MaverickSawyer said:

Hmmm... Potential bug with the antimatter collector and detectors.

Went to Jool, just above the atmosphere via stock "Set Orbit" cheat, and the ZAP detector came up empty. Same thing with the scoop. Same story with the gas giants of the Outer Planets Mod.

Is this normal, or am I missing something?

There is a narrow band at an altitude that is randomized based on save seed. I'm not really enjoying the way the stock scanner presents the exoatmospheric resources though, so I will probably find a better way to detect them.

On 5/20/2017 at 2:48 AM, Gryphorim said:

I say this, as if ICF Fusion and antimatter catalysed effects can be used for propulsion, surely there would be similarly advanced electrical generation means.

But what is the point, exactly? There isn't anything outside of KSPI-E that actually needs more power than NFE reactors can provide. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nertea said:

There is a narrow band at an altitude that is randomized based on save seed. I'm not really enjoying the way the stock scanner presents the exoatmospheric resources though, so I will probably find a better way to detect them.

Perhaps a "hot/cold" system. You use the ZAP to take a reading. Adjust your altitude, take another reading. Previous reading and current reading appear in the right-click box. Bam, you can then do the math to find your target altitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nertea said:

But what is the point, exactly? There isn't anything outside of KSPI-E that actually needs more power than NFE reactors can provide. 

Personally I've been building ships using arrays of very large electric engines, as opposed to nuclear or AM. It struck me as odd that there were fusion and antimatter engines, but not similar high yield electrical generators.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Think i've found a bug for you Nertea.

Whilst making an upgrade to my orbital station, i couldn't fathom why the part i had created was spazzing out when i put it on the launchpad. So i started removing bits of the craft until it stopped.

Turns out that if you use one fusion/fission fuel tank on its own everything works as intended, but add a second attached to the same tank, and .....voila! ANTI-GRAV DRIVE!

 

Whilst i don't show it in this video, if you cheat the bugged tanks together into orbit they begin turning and accelerating on their own - its like watching a scifi show :D heh.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Stevie_D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2017 at 10:21 AM, Stevie_D said:

Think i've found a bug for you Nertea.

Whilst making an upgrade to my orbital station, i couldn't fathom why the part i had created was spazzing out when i put it on the launchpad. So i started removing bits of the craft until it stopped.

Turns out that if you use one fusion/fission fuel tank on its own everything works as intended, but add a second attached to the same tank, and .....voila! ANTI-GRAV DRIVE!

 

Whilst i don't show it in this video, if you cheat the bugged tanks together into orbit they begin turning and accelerating on their own - its like watching a scifi show :D heh.

Hope this helps!

Huh maybe a node offset problem or something, I'll have a look when i get a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oversized Electric engine assembly on modest science ship, the KR-90:

qxUez3C.png

cTuE1WB.png

QeSWGWJ.png

PjhLkvS.png

11 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2017 at 4:54 AM, Gryphorim said:

Oversized Electric engine assembly on modest science ship, the KR-90:

qxUez3C.png

cTuE1WB.png

QeSWGWJ.png

PjhLkvS.png

Reminds me of the Tantive IV from Star Wars 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8.6.2017 at 8:19 PM, ISE said:

Reminds me of the Tantive IV from Star Wars 

It is in fact a Corellian CR90 Corvette from Star Wars, yes. :) One of the best recreations of it I have seen in KSP to date.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So unfortunately bad news. The far future plugin appears to crash on load in 1.3 (shoulda seen that coming really). I am refraining from shoving logs at you for now because it possibly just needs a recompile (if that doesn't fix it, let me know to shove logs at you). I figure this is a minor thing on the list for whenever the next dev release comes ... which I presume is relative to whenever the magnetoinertial fusion rockets are done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's something like third on my priority list right now, and yes, one of the main reasons it won't work is because a recompile is needed. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now