Nertea

[1.1.3] Near Future Technologies (July 22, NFE fixes)

6511 posts in this topic

This set of part packs is designed to provide generally stock-like near future parts for your space program's needs. You can pick and choose from various component packs providing electric engines, nuclear reactors, solar panels, structural parts and miscellaneous spacecraft parts. There are currently five subpacks: Propulsion, Electrical, Construction, Solar and Spacecraft.

If you have a previous version of any of these packs, you must delete the old NearFuture****** folder BEFORE you install an update!

[1.1.3] Near Future Propulsion v0.7.4, last updated July 15 2016

This pack contains advanced electrically powered engines including electrostatic ion engines, plasma engines and VASIMR engines.

The engines run on stock Xenon Gas and two new resources: Lithium and Argon Gas. A full tank set is provided for the new fuels, plus new Xenon tanks. Make sure to have enough power to run them, as shown in the VAB. Solar power can work with the smaller engines, but the larger, more advanced engines will likely require you to use other power sources, like nuclear reactors from Near Future Electrical. 

Known Issues Future Plans

• Electrical RCS systems
  • Redo most gimballed engine art
  • Better engine FX
  • Additional Li tanks
Download Options Recent Changes (full list in download)

Download v0.7.4 (Primary)
Download v0.7.4 (Secondary - CurseForge)
Download v0.7.4 (Tertiary - Dropbox)

Plugin Source and GitHub repository

• KSP 1.1.3
  • Updated bundled CRP
  • Updated bundled MM 

[1.1.3] Near Future Electrical v0.7.7, last updated July 22, 2016

This pack contains electrical support parts for generating and storing electricity in the form of Electric Charge: nuclear reactors, additional batteries and capacitors.

Fission Reactors are power generators that run on the EnrichedUranium resource. They are quite heavy and awkward to incorporate into a ship, but rewarding in terms of amount of power generated per mass. There are a few things to make them a little harder to use:

• Heat Radiators: Place thermal control systems on the surface of the reactors and extend them. Without them, the reactors will overheat and explode! They might even cook your ship! Add the correct number of radiators (noted in the VAB) to your ship per reactor and you'll be fine.
  • Fuel consumption: Eventually the reactors will run out of fuel. This takes a few years, but also occurs in the background when the ship is unfocused. Refueling can be done when the reactor is shut down by selecting Transfer Fuel and Transfer Waste when you right click the reactor. You can also use the Whirlijig reprocessing plant to recycle some spent fuel.

For more heat rejection options, check out Heat Control, another of my mods which has more radiators, heat pipes and other cool things (pun intended).

Capacitors are new parts which store electric charge very efficiently as StoredCharge (they have 8x the electric charge per unit mass). They charge up very slowly from your main Ec reserve but can be triggered to discharge all of their energy into your Ec reserve very rapidly. This lets you run higher power engines for longer time periods. Use the right click menu in the VAB/SPH to vary a capacitor's discharge rate down to 50% of its rated maximum. Capacitors can be better managed through the Capacitor window; this will summarize all installed parts and allow easy discharge.

There are also larger versions of the stock inline battery packs (in radial, 0.625, 1.25, 2.5m and 3.75m sizes) for storing large amounts of Electric Charge.

• Redone reactor models
  • Redone nuclear fuel container models

Download v0.7.7 (Primary)
Download v0.7.7 (Secondary - CurseForge)
Download v0.7.7 (Tertiary - Dropbox)

Plugin Source and Github repository

• Many improvements to the handling of the capacitor and reactor UI panels

[1.1.3] Near Future Solar v0.6.2, last updated June 25 2016

This pack contains various solar panels that I've sourced from spacecraft concepts. They range from small concentrated solar panels to massive blanket solar arrays.

Recently, there is plugin component which adds curved a solar panel module. It's used to make the curved panels work correctly.

• Some of the larger solar panels can get stuck when perpendicular to the sun
  • Extendable 3.75 -> 10 or 15m panel
  • Shrouded versions for smaller panels
  • More deployable panels (ISS dual rotator, asteroid tug circular panels)
  • Large flat solar farm panels

Download v0.6.2 (Primary)
Download v0.6.2 (Secondary - CurseForge)
Download v0.6.2 (Tertiary - Dropbox)
Plugin Source and GitHub repository 

•  KSP 1.1.3
  • Updated bundled MM version

[1.1.3] Near Future Construction v0.6.4, last updated June 25 2016

This pack contains structural components. There is a large truss set that can be useful when building bases or large spacecraft. There are also a number of skeletal-style stack adapters for mounting cluster engines or just looking cool. I also recently added some high-strength docking ports.

• 1.25m-range triangular truss set
  • 0.625m-range simple rectangular truss set
  • 3.75m range circular truss set. 
  • CRP resource truss fuel tanks

Download v0.6.4 (Primary)
Download v0.6.4 (Secondary - CurseForge)
Download v0.6.4 (Tertiary - Dropbox)

Github repository

• KSP 1.1.3
  • Updated bundled CRP
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch

[1.1.3] Near Future Spacecraft v0.5.1, last updated June 25 2016

This pack is dedicated to space craft components. Currently it contains an advanced 2.5m command pod, a large 3.75m command pod, three low profiles engine, two fuel tanks with service compartments, landing legs, new RCS blocks and a utility/crew pod.

The Mk3-9 Command Pod has full RasterPropMonitor integration to run internal props and the various digital displays. The plugin not bundled with the download, download separately.

• Service fuel tanks don't have fancy transparency
  • The PPD-1's IVA is unfinished
  • There is a strange visual bug when fully zoomed out in the right window of the Mk3-9 IVA
  • Radial landing engines (SuperDraco style)
  • Additional landing legs
  • Lander pods?
  • Finishing the IVAs for the various pods

Download v0.5.1 (Primary)
Download v0.5.1 (Secondary - CurseForge)
Download v0.5.1 (Tertiary - Dropbox)

Github Repository

• KSP 1.1.3
  • Reexported collider of PPD-1 command pod

Tech Tree

These packs are fully compatible with the Community Tech Tree. Install the CTT (2.0+) and ModuleManager and parts from these mods will be placed in new tech nodes. Solar gets new nodes, Propulsion gets a whole new subtree, as does Electrical. Spacecraft and Construction have some minor rearrangements.

Special Thanks

A big hand to Streetwind for helping me out with a lot of balance tweaks. No seriously, he's great :wink:. Also thanks to all the testers who insist on testing these mods before they are released. Without them I would probably not be modding.

Licensing

All of the above packs are distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This means that you are free to share and adapt the materials only for non-commercial purposes and when providing appropriate attribution. Any derivatives must be distributed under the same license. This of course does not apply to any of the bundled plugins of whom I am not the author. RasterPropMonitor, CrossfeedEnabler, KSPAPIExtensions and ModuleManager are all distributed under their own licenses, details can be found in the provided links.

Do you like this pack? Well, I use up tons of coffee modeling it - I would greatly appreciate if you felt like contributing some change to my fund. I can repay your gratitude by working with you on particular parts, even (within reason)

btn_donate_SM.gif

Basic Troubleshooting

Q: My game gets stuck loading a part like nuclearfuel-25 or argon-tank-0625
A:
You didn't install everything in the zip. Make sure you have the Community Resource Pack folder inside your GameData.

Q: I have a few parts, but I'm missing others.
A:
Ensure you installed the mod correctly. You should place the GameData folder that comes with the mod in the KSP root directory, that will ensure everything goes in the right place.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Anything about CKAN
A:
 Not supported. 

Q: Will you make an IVA for ______?
A:
IVAs are long and slow to make, and asking makes it a lot longer.

Q: Why did you nerf the PB-ION?
A:
As the PB-ION is unlocked "relatively" early in the stock tech tree, the power of the PB-ION engine so that you can still have a meaningful progression of advanced engines after it while still leaving nuclear and chemical engines with niches of their own.

Q: Where did my universal radiators go??? [Mean words]! &@#%^*@!
A:
They're in Heat Control now :wink:. Along with additional useful parts for managing heat.

Q: Is this compatible with KSP Interstellar?
A:
FreeThinker has, with KSPI-E, done some crazy adaptive balancing thing. I don't support it though, go ask him.

Q: Is there RealFuels/ModularFuelTank compatibility?
A:
No, but it is planned eventually.

Q: Why are your capacitors so unrealistic? That's not how a capacitor works!
A:
If you're going to nitpick this, there's a lot worse with the KSP electrical system. If you want actual accuracy, as far as I'm aware there's no power distribution mod out there, go make it!

Q: Will you add fusion reactors?
A:
As soon as a prototype reliably produces power.

Q: Will you add EmDrives/other hypothetical engines based on vague concepts and not-fully understood physics?
A:
Nah. See the fusion reactor answer.

Edited by Nertea
95 people like this

Awesome :D Now, let's see if it's possible to stack enough solar panels and reactors to run these engines at full power :P

No craft files? Too bad...

LOOKS AMAZING ANYWAY.

Woo! :D It got released early!

I guess I don't need to study for that math test tomorrow...

Are these scaled to reality, or at least to Kerbal reality? If so, pretty awesome. By the looks of the pictures good job on the models too, they look stock enough while still different.

Aw, I found a bug already. The radial xenon tank is rotated in an odd way, i must have broken it at the last minute.

Are these scaled to reality, or at least to Kerbal reality? If so, pretty awesome. By the looks of the pictures good job on the models too, they look stock enough while still different.

Thanks! The goal was to make them look like they fit with stock, roughly.

They are indeed scaled to kerbal-like properties based on the stock ion engine, so they should be relatively balanced. Well, depends on what people find I suppose.

No craft files? Too bad...

Trust me, you don't want my 30 second test craft :P.

2 people like this

Excellent work with these drives/reactors. They blend with the stock parts remarkably well, especially considering what they're based off of. I'm looking forward to using these for orbital tugs and interplanetary ships.

I've found a potential problem though. With the VASIMR drive, it seems like the thrust might not be quite centered, or perhaps there's a problem with the 1.25 meter reactor's center of mass. I created a pretty basic test craft consisting of a VASIMR drive, 1.25 meter reactor, a couple of inline 1.25 meter batteries, and a small 1.25 meter xenon tank along with a small probe core, however whenever I throttled up it wanted to pull hard to one side. I'll do further testing on it and the other engines later to confirm my findings, but I wanted to mention it just in case it is a real problem.

Also, how many units of energy are required per second for the various engines?

Insta-download. Looks awesome.

Re: texture reduction. Just...tell him not to strip the darn alpha channels for once, or your FX will be ruined.

looks nice, I love mods that fit with the stock parts. Are the heat tolerances of the parts set up properly (or at least at about stock levels) or will I have to change them manually so it works with deadly re-entry?

These are pretty great.

And they again make me wish we could subclass ModuleEngines so you could make the VASIMR work right without having to roll a custom ModuleEngines replacement.

hmm perhaps you should make a backtalk to the team who makes the Interstellar Engenesystems. You would good combine. (Only an suggestion)

I mean so it would be possible to put your future tec and theirs into one bundle you know?

hmm perhaps you should make a backtalk to the team who makes the Interstellar Engenesystems. You would good combine. (Only an suggestion)

I mean so it would be possible to put your future tec and theirs into one bundle you know?

If you're referring to KSP Interstellar, please no. That mod, I'm sure, is well done, but it includes all kinds of goofy stuff like antimatter reactors and warp drives. Theoretically possible, maybe, but so far into the future that it's basically a sci-fi mod.

This mod, by comparison, consists of components that are known to be feasible in the near future, or arguably, even the present. Components that could be realistically used on spacecraft today. Fission reactors have been constructed and used in space. VASIMR drives have been constructed, tested, and are planned to be integrated into the ISS. The MPD has even been used in space operationally (though admittedly only once).

So no, while I'm sure KSP Interstellar is a great mod, these mods should remain separate.

Also, I was thinking, something else that might be nice to have would be smaller VASIMR drives. Perhaps a .6M 100KW version? Maybe an even smaller version? It's feasible in reality, as the 200KW version they're planning on installing on the ISS is actually just two 100KW VASIMR thrusters connected together.

Edited by Firov

There is nothing wrong with KSP Interstellar, Firov. Fractal_UK explicitly said he will put his parts on a tech tree after 0.22. Stuff like antimatter reactors and warp drives will be near the very end of the tree then. Parts from this mod would fit well on earlier stages of Plasma Engine tree, and nuclear reactors. And as for realism...it's Kerbalverse - there are planets with density of tungsten, yellow star too small to even be a brown dwarf in real life etc. So any 'realism' is purely arbitrary. At least KSPI follows the basic rules of physics and logic. Of course it's Nertea's mod, and he will do what he wants with it - but there could be a lot of good things coming out from cooperation.

Excellent pack! Love the engine FX and the stockalike feel. Only a few minor gripes. The VASIMR at full throttle is getting a bright ring effect right where the texture should be dimmest, the radial xenon tanks are rotated in a funny way, SPH doesnt like to use paired symmetry with them. 1400 unit Xenon tank same size as KSPX 3000 unit tank (is KSPX overpowered?) Also, scaling of power/efficiency seems random, or I'm just not getting the nuance. Could be more intuitive. Overall, minor gripes, but this is an amazing pack.

That's some awesome engines. The resolution looks very high. What is the resolution/file format? It might be necessary for me to downsize, as it might just crash my already-overloaded KSP.

They look so stock-like! I love them! I will definitely give them a try today when I have some free time!

That's some awesome engines. The resolution looks very high. What is the resolution/file format? It might be necessary for me to downsize, as it might just crash my already-overloaded KSP.

Same for me... It crashes the game every 5 minutes

These look great. Would work great as more stock-like versions of the very futuristic parts in the KSP Interstellar Pack.

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

One recommendation- that you ask PolecatEZ for a reduced texture pack.

Link to his work: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51361-0-21-Squad-Texture-Reduction-Pack-B9-and-KW-Packs-also

I'm perfectly capable of reducing the resolution myself ;). I'll include a low-res texture set in the next version.

Excellent work with these drives/reactors. They blend with the stock parts remarkably well, especially considering what they're based off of. I'm looking forward to using these for orbital tugs and interplanetary ships.

I've found a potential problem though. With the VASIMR drive, it seems like the thrust might not be quite centered, or perhaps there's a problem with the 1.25 meter reactor's center of mass. I created a pretty basic test craft consisting of a VASIMR drive, 1.25 meter reactor, a couple of inline 1.25 meter batteries, and a small 1.25 meter xenon tank along with a small probe core, however whenever I throttled up it wanted to pull hard to one side. I'll do further testing on it and the other engines later to confirm my findings, but I wanted to mention it just in case it is a real problem.

Also, how many units of energy are required per second for the various engines?

I have confirmed this bug, the thrust root is slightly off the CofM. I'll fix this too. You should need about 180/s for the VASIMR (2 small reactors or 12-ish Gigantors), about 1400/s for the small MPDT and 3200/s for the large MPDT. In fact, I should add these to the ingame descriptions.

looks nice, I love mods that fit with the stock parts. Are the heat tolerances of the parts set up properly (or at least at about stock levels) or will I have to change them manually so it works with deadly re-entry?

Similar numbers to stock ions for the engines, stock tanks for the xenon tanks, stock RTG for the reactors.

Yeah, I thought about this, but I think I have slightly different goals that Fractal_UK has with his pack (simpler, for one). ZZZ (the artist) also has a different style than I do.

Excellent pack! Love the engine FX and the stockalike feel. Only a few minor gripes. The VASIMR at full throttle is getting a bright ring effect right where the texture should be dimmest, the radial xenon tanks are rotated in a funny way, SPH doesnt like to use paired symmetry with them. 1400 unit Xenon tank same size as KSPX 3000 unit tank (is KSPX overpowered?) Also, scaling of power/efficiency seems random, or I'm just not getting the nuance. Could be more intuitive. Overall, minor gripes, but this is an amazing pack.

There are certainly a few bugs for me to fix here. Said small ring problem is quite odd, I don't get it anywhere but ingame so it must be a result of how the texture or its UVs are converted. I'll rework this and add a very large buffer between those areas on the texture.

The 1400 unit tank is my scaling based on the volume of the 4 spherical tanks inside the structure, hence why it might be less effective. Scaling between the engines is based on real-world data, so it might be a bit random at first until I get some input.

Probably too much :P. What's a good size for a compressed version? 256 for the large parts, 128 for the small?

Love how this pack blends in with the Normal KSP Parts. Keep up the good work. I will be watching for future updates.

Really pretty models.. I'm definately installing this...

Might I just whisper "Some type of electric RCS system...." into your ear? ^^

Really pretty models.. I'm definately installing this...

Might I just whisper "Some type of electric RCS system...." into your ear? ^^

I'm all for telling him to make more stuff, so I second this wonderful suggestion :)

Probably too much :P. What's a good size for a compressed version? 256 for the large parts, 128 for the small?

I generally downsize all textures to 256*256, unless they are for really big parts. If the are very small parts, they go to 128, and if they're monochromatic, they go to 1*1, but it doesn't look like you have any monochromatic textures. I generally use 512*512 for normal maps, but I've heard that you get an almost as good quality with 256 or 128. I'd say 256 for medium, 128 for small and half of the diffuse map for the normal maps. I'm not sure about emmisiive maps, but I think half of the diffuse would work for them, too.

This looks pretty cool. Maybe you could make a bigger solar panel to power these things too? Just a suggestion, the parts look great. :D