lunar rover

the easiest way to do it, i\'ve found, if you don\'t feel up to returning to Kerbal, EVER, add a decoupler to the bottom of the capsule as you normally would, pop it off on the moon and using the keys you use to fly, roll around ont he mun, you\'ll float a bit but you can actually get far away from your lander and take some cool screen shots.

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

omnivore has made small rover wheels.

and i pushed the idea to Nova but he didnt sound very keen.

The problem he was worried about is that wheels are not functional.

Make the 'wheel holding thingy' and the 'wheel' itself as 2 separate parts. It will work.

Could you now make a wheels on and axle as a decoupler that fits between two holes that it can freely rotate in, making all these on max possible impact tolerence?

the problem with that is the game probably wont like the high rotation speeds which would generally lead to glitches.

Also just noticed that the PO was asking for advice on how to make one so i shall post a photo of a successfull design which uses c7 and SE and Probodobdyne kit

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5161.0;attach=9276;image

make sure its got a wide area. also make sure there is enough protection protecting the front and the back as its common that the rovers spin out of control

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

the problem with that is the game probably wont like the high rotation speeds which would generally lead to glitches.

Also just noticed that the PO was asking for advice on how to make one so i shall post a photo of a successfull design which uses c7 and SE and Probodobdyne kit

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5161.0;attach=9276;image

make sure its got a wide area. also make sure there is enough protection protecting the front and the back as its common that the rovers spin out of control

Can you tell us more about how you made it? Looks cool.

Sure.

C7-Nova SE 0.9

Its C7 Fuel bodies with C7 wings.

you need to keep the Rover small as the larger it is the more chance something with break off.

The lander legs at the end were placed because i would constantly break the engine off from accidentally flipping.

only a small engine is required as you only need Horizontal speed.

Vtol is necessary to keep the Rover from flipping if it is thrown in the air.

The Rover can go up to 32 m/s on the floor but it is advised not to go above 10m/s.

The Rover uses a lithobreaking technique to land.

do you have any specific questions?

Yeah, is it difficult to get that rover on the mun?

To the Moon- no

On the moon- no

on the moon safely -yes

I use a lithobreaking technique where i use a fuel tank and engine to slow the rocket down to a complete halt and land on the moon. i then let the rocket fall onto its wheels.

it doesnt matter if the fuel tank is damaged it is close to empty anyway.

the photos i have attached show two Kinds of rovers (one earlier version and a later version) they both used the same landing technique which proved to be the most reliable.

Earlier version

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5161.0;attach=9386;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5161.0;attach=9388;image

Later version (notice the things put in place to prevent parts breaking off)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5161.0;attach=9390;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5161.0;attach=9392;image

To the Moon- no

On the moon- no

on the moon safely -yes

I use a lithobreaking technique where i use a fuel tank and engine to slow the rocket down to a complete halt and land on the moon. i then let the rocket fall onto its wheels.

it doesnt matter if the fuel tank is damaged it is close to empty anyway.

the photos i have attached show two Kinds of rovers (one earlier version and a later version) they both used the same landing technique which proved to be the most reliable.

Earlier version

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5161.0;attach=9386;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5161.0;attach=9388;image

Later version (notice the things put in place to prevent parts breaking off)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5161.0;attach=9390;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5161.0;attach=9392;image

Nice, thanks for the help. Seems as though most of these pictures are taken at night, did you know when you are landed and stationary, you can warp? Sometimes it won\'t let you when SAS is on though.

Guest ThatCrazyPilot

these photos were taken using Ksp 0.12

the craft file doesn\'t exist anymore :(

Is there any way to... recreate it? This will be a great topic in the spacecraft exchange forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I\'ve been messing around for the past couple of days with modelling a part that acts like an RCS block, but is shaped and weighted like tank treads, and I\'ve been having good initial success. Has any one else tried that sort of thing? I\'ve seen the rcs-blocks-shaped-like-lander-legs, and this is sort of an extension of that idea.

The same sort of thing could be done with a wheel-shaped mesh too. It wouldn\'t actually roll, but it would behave (more or less) like something on wheels.

I plan to release a package when I fine tune a couple of good designs, and when my artistic skill improves some.