Modular Fuel System Continued v3.3 (OBSOLETE)

NathanKell

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvHneDAy4k99dDZYOHJraGpQc2VuMUxxU0FjSUp6NXc&usp=sharing

Here is a public copy of the spreadsheet we're using. I don't promise it will be updated as often as the internal one, but for right now it's identical. Feel free to make a copy of it and edit to your heart's content.

Right now it only supports kerolox, hydrolox, hyperoglic NTO/MMH, and solidfuel. But it shouldn't be hard to add new support if you know excel/google spreadsheets.

It has most mod engines, and some blank space at the bottom for adding more. Don't insert new rows unless you're also going to insert new rows in EngineOut and fill the formulae down.

It should open first to the Documentation sheet. That should explain how to use it.

For more advanced usage, post here and I'll help.

Yes. :)

While the second I don't yet know enough Rocket Science to adequately account for. Ideally, you'd just feed MFS the actual engine stats (area ratio, ox:fuel ratio, combustion mode, etc). So for now I am adding to the spreadsheet an ability to modify Isp per engine, with a consequent change in TWR. But you wouldn't do that in game, though, only beforehand.

Could someone just edit the cfg of a given part to function as the heat fins for this mod (by adding a module or something) it would be very interesting if the insulation part of this mod was integrated with the radiators from KSP Interstellar (they look nicer and have more functionality (I think)]

http://i.imgur.com/ldhUzWv.png

Could someone just edit the cfg of a given part to function as the heat fins for this mod (by adding a module or something) it would be very interesting if the insulation part of this mod was integrated with the radiators from KSP Interstellar (they look nicer and have more functionality (I think)]

It's on my todo list to release a cfg file for that.

Could someone help me out with this mod? I have followed the install instructions to the letter, but I am unable to see any changes in the action groups menu, where I assume the fuel changes are supposed to be made. If someone could maybe post a screenshot, or point out how much of an idiot I am by correcting me. Thanks in advance.

Could someone help me out with this mod? I have followed the install instructions to the letter, but I am unable to see any changes in the action groups menu, where I assume the fuel changes are supposed to be made. If someone could maybe post a screenshot, or point out how much of an idiot I am by correcting me. Thanks in advance.
All I have is the name of the tank on the "selection" column. I have engineer redux installed as well (prior to installing this mod.) Could that be interfering?

not likely.

is modulemanager installed? its dll should be in the gamedata folder.

when you mouse over fuel tanks does it list alternate fuels like LiquidOxygen or LiquidH2?

when you mouse over engines does it display alternate fuel configurations for them? did you try more than one?

Well, I went the thorough route and just wiped and "stepped" in my mods one at a time. The end result works just fine. This mod is awesome! It really adds a nice touch to the feel of the game, and I love the changes made to the nuclear engines. They really feel powerful now. Excellent work, and thanks for the help. :D

Ok here you go. Save this as a .cfg file somewhere in your GameData folder. Anywhere is fine. I like to put stuff like this in a folder I named 'MyTweaks'. Putting it in ModularFuels is fine too since it's useless without that plugin so if you ever decide to delete it, it will delete the cfg too.

Note that it will NOT track to face the sun! That's because I don't think you would want a radiator to face the sun in real life. If it were capable of re-orienting you would want it edge on to the sun so it doesn't absorb unnecessary heat. In fact I toyed with ways of trying to make it less efficient facing the sun but I can't think of a way to reliably accomplish that and all that was really requested was to make it function as a radiator. So here it is.

Anyway if you want you can re-enable its tracking capabilities quite easily. Just un-comment the line the raycastTransformName = suncatcher line. (remove the //, that uncomments it)

radiator_patch.cfg

@PART[radiator1]:Final
{
@mass = 0.025
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatPump
heatTransfer = 50
heatDissipation = 0.05
RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.01666667
}
}
}

Edited by Starwaster
editing cfg snippet

Ok here you go. Save this as a .cfg file somewhere in your GameData folder. Anywhere is fine. I like to put stuff like this in a folder I named 'MyTweaks'. Putting it in ModularFuels is fine too since it's useless without that plugin so if you ever decide to delete it, it will delete the cfg too.

Note that it will NOT track to face the sun! That's because I don't think you would want a radiator to face the sun in real life. If it were capable of re-orienting you would want it edge on to the sun so it doesn't absorb unnecessary heat. In fact I toyed with ways of trying to make it less efficient facing the sun but I can't think of a way to reliably accomplish that and all that was really requested was to make it function as a radiator. So here it is.

Anyway if you want you can re-enable its tracking capabilities quite easily. Just un-comment the line the raycastTransformName = suncatcher line. (remove the //, that uncomments it)

The radiator already deploys edge on to the sun, it doesn't need ModuleDeployableSolarPanel module in there, that will really mess things up with two modules trying to control the same animation states.

Surely all you need is this?

radiator_patch.cfg

{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatPump
heatTransfer = 50
heatDissipation = 0.05
RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.01666667
}
}
}

Edited by Fractal_UK

The radiator already deploys edge on to the sun, it doesn't need ModuleDeployableSolarPanel module in there, that will really mess things up with two modules trying to control the same animation states.

Surely all you need is this?

radiator_patch.cfg

{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatPump
heatTransfer = 50
heatDissipation = 0.05
RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.01666667
}
}
}

Not sure why I thought it was trying to face the sun. I would swear that I had seen it doing that.

No there would not be two modules trying to control animation because the bit I posted deletes the original module.

But yes you can get by with just adding in the heat pump. In fact I think I'll go edit my post to reflect that.

Edit: Correction, WOULD have deleted the original module except that I forgot the {} at the end.

Edited by Starwaster

Oh, I should probably mention...

Bac9 and Taverius rebalanced the Sabres, they increased the Isp and decreased the thrust in rocket mode, and increased the thrust but decreased the Isp in Air-Breathing mode. They're now more powerful in air-breathing mode than in rocket mode.

I don't know what this actually does to performance since I'm running realfuels, but yeah.

I guess I have a bug report:

While modifying SRBs that were placed symmetrically you have to modify each booster separately, instead of just modifying one and the others updating as it should?

Finally updated v3 alpha

Note that some engine performance (heh, most engine performance) may have changed, since I'm using my personal real-world configs and I repurposed some engines to fill some holes. Many are _close_ to what they were in v2; apologies for the trouble and when v3 goes stable it'll be fixed.

That said, it's to support the Earth-size Kerbin asmi and I have been working on. So that means you need realistic thrust-mass ratios for engines, and realistic dry:wet masses for tanks, or your dV will be BAD.

See changelog for details on how to turn useRealisticMasses off and go back to stock KSP performance (roughly 3.3x engine mass, and 9.6x tank mass).

Yes. Well, not insanely, but pretty high. You'll probably get something like 1.5x the dV? 2x? Maybe? Fuel mass doesn't change, but the mass ratio means lots of difference.

Also, apologies: heat was 3.3x what it should have been. Fixed, please redownload.

Yup. Again, your engines will be...a bit different. And if you play with realfuels and non-realistic masses, your tank mass may be like 0.1%-1% off. No biggie.

V3 is still an alpha, so...

But you _really_ should try big Kerbin. It's _so_ fun to have a realistic ascent!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.