[1.02] BioMass - Renewable Bio Fuel and Supplemental Life Support Modules

Roboto

WE ARE IN THE HOME STRETCH!

Here's a little something you can look forward too..

And Some of what it took to make it happen...

PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TESTING VERSION AND HELP US SQUASH ANY LAST MINUTE BUGS!!

Info Thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/125880-WIP-BioMass-mod-needs-testers-%28greenhouses-gas-compressors-biofuel-production%29

BioMass PUBLIC TESTING VERSION 0.9.2.1 Download(Pretty much player ready..)

Export the BioMass folder into your KSP GameData directory. You will also find a squad folder that contains the icons needed for the tech tree additions. In windows land you may copy the entire folder over squads, and it will simply add the icons.

It seems that in mac land, that will erase squads folder, leaving only the icons we added. So..don't do this if you are on a Mac. Instead, drop the icons directly into the matching folder found in the game install.

LICENSE

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Edited by Roboto
Updated Version

Wowowo, is it active while its not being used or only when on active ship?

Certain parts do require resources at all times in order to maintain a suitable environment for your photosynthetic organisms, yes. At the moment there are a few bugs related to when and how it is consuming resources, but for the most part, people seem to be un-bothered by it. I will be addressing these issues for the next release.

The module should always produce biomass and O2 as long as it has available electricCharge, CO2 and sunlight. The green house acts the same as a solar panel except it charges biomass instead of electricCharge, so when in sunlight its production/consumption increases.

To get fuel out of it you must activate the bio-reactor which has a heavy resource load, so if left unattended with he reactor on, it is dependent on the balance of resources you have. There are known issues with the rate of consumption and the way the greenhouse performs long term, so eventually it will need a resupply of what ever it has run low on, usually CO2. The next release is going to incorporate some tweaks and fixes, as well as new modules for producing and reclaiming resources from waste/byproducts.

In fact, I am open to any and all suggestions regarding these processes, so lay em on me!

I should note that it has been a while since I've worked on this mod, and have 2 different versions of it (one unreleased). So if I mention a detail about it that seems incorrect, I've probably confused versions.

Edited by Roboto

This is brilliant!!!

Gonna really enjoy incorporating this into my stations and industrial complexes. I see alot of potential here for cross-over with other mods.

I typically have alot of manned flights and bases on other planets..due to this I have always stayed clear of life support mods (due to the logistics nightmare they would create for me lol), but with this mod...producing oxygen, I am going to look into life support mods now. Thank you for that =)

Question...will these produce biomass if in sunlight and craft is inactive? If thats the case you should consider nerfing the rate biomass is produced.

Would also be nice to have a cryogenic tank to store 'harvested' biomass outside of the greenhouses.

Thats very nice . what about Ioncross compatibility, can I stuff a crap load of Kerbals in a module and use the waste as a source for co2 and vice verse O2?

Yes. The version I'm currently working on already incorporates Waste Water, Solid Waste, Hydrogen and Nitrogen resources. One of the new modules, the Micro-Biome, will consume some of them as resources inputs in order to cultivate micro organisms (algae or anaerobic bacteria for example) and output Nitrogen for your plant life and replenish specific resources. The Bio-Reactor will also consume some of them as resources during the fuel generation process, while also replenishing specific resources.

This is brilliant!!!

Gonna really enjoy incorporating this into my stations and industrial complexes. I see alot of potential here for cross-over with other mods.

I typically have alot of manned flights and bases on other planets..due to this I have always stayed clear of life support mods (due to the logistics nightmare they would create for me lol), but with this mod...producing oxygen, I am going to look into life support mods now. Thank you for that =)

Question...will these produce biomass if in sunlight and craft is inactive? If thats the case you should consider nerfing the rate biomass is produced.

Would also be nice to have a cryogenic tank to store 'harvested' biomass outside of the greenhouses.

:) thanks!

Currently the biomass production rate is a bit quirky under certain circumstances. The way I intended it the first time around was that it would need all three resources (electriCharge, CO2 and sunlight) in order to operate fully, if any one is missing it either slows or stops completely. Unfortunately, I attempted this by using the moduleGenerator function built into KSP and does not quite do the job. It's also the reason the description for the greenhouses in game are insanely long. I will most likely(and hopefully) be addressing this by creating a plugin to handle some processes and fine tune the rates properly.

Yes. The version I'm currently working on already incorporates Waste Water, Solid Waste, Hydrogen and Nitrogen resources. One of the new modules, the Micro-Biome, will consume some of them as resources inputs in order to cultivate micro organisms (algae or anaerobic bacteria for example) and output Nitrogen for your plant life and replenish specific resources. The Bio-Reactor will also consume some of them as resources during the fuel generation process, while also replenishing specific resources.

Well , this is a must have mod for me then. One thing i would do however is not use the fuel parts as it does not sound so realistic and i run Kethane at the same time, but the O2/CO2 is just a must have for deep space missions, and its very nicely implemented .

Well , this is a must have mod for me then. One thing i would do however is not use the fuel parts as it does not sound so realistic and i run Kethane at the same time, but the O2/CO2 is just a must have for deep space missions, and its very nicely implemented .

Thanks!

Would you rather it did not create fuel at all? Or would you be open to that if it were finely tuned so that it was a bit more realistic? My goal was/is to create it in a way that it's useful for generating fuels at bases, stations or deep space voyages, while not creating fuel too fast or in quantities that make it too easy.

Its a bit unrealistic to create rocket fuel from plants, but its KSP not reality, its a nice feature imo, but would like to see it balanced so it cant be used as another fast n easy infinite fuel mod.

Some more quick tests and this already seems to work rather well with IonCross lifesupport.

Also, have you considered using Kethane converter module? Its part of the open API of kethane..may save some .dll writing time.

Ok after some quick test here are my thoughts : this mod is good runs properly and the way it supposed to. Drains a good chunk of Electricity( its a big plus for me , given the useless stat of EL as of now ), The CO2 converter is passive and it works with Ioncross , so over time biomass sucks a tinny amount of CO2 to keep it going and produces tinny amount of O2 in return. No just a small ittsy bitty tinny suggestion, can u add one of the BioModules to be only for production of O2, just for so we can produce O2 at higher rates if we need other than the default passive rate. I understand that you can stack plenty of Modules to increase co2/o2 rates but just so this mod has its own legacy dedicated O2/CO2 converter :). I am pretty confident that in time you can make it generate food/waste etc. easily as long as the Kerbals have the function of using it.

P.S. Just noticed with closed shutters, if i leave it to produce monoprop or liq/oxi it still keeps doing it as the shutters are open, isnt it supposed to not be working in this case?

P.S.S. One more thing to say: At night or when no sunlight or El, Biomass should produce CO2 only.The mod should NOT use electricity when Shutters are closed and all the functions Disabled.

Edited by nismobg

Creating rocket fuel from plants does seem... slightly farfetched. I could totally see oxidizer being a byproduct, but hydrogen? How does that work? Is there a plant that actually gives off a usable amount of hydrogen as a byproduct?

Not from the plants, but from water. If tied into one of the life support mods that produce waste water, my thought was that through electrolysis the water can be split into Hydrogen and Oxygen using nothing more than electricCharge as input. As far as liquid fuel, I was thinking of the composting process of solid wastes(Poop food waste) and how that produces methane. Or combine the solid waste with your biomass in the reactor to produce a liquid fuel via a process not much different than creating bio-diesel, ethanol or even methane. To simplify things, I figured I would just represent this by leaning on Hydrogen since there are already mods that use Hydrogen. But, now that I'm thinking about this, maybe I should just use Kethane rather than Hydrogen?

Ok after some quick test here are my thoughts : this mod is good runs properly and the way it supposed to. Drains a good chunk of Electricity( its a big plus for me , given the useless stat of EL as of now ), The CO2 converter is passive and it works with Ioncross , so over time biomass sucks a tinny amount of CO2 to keep it going and produces tinny amount of O2 in return. No just a small ittsy bitty tinny suggestion, can u add one of the BioModules to be only for production of O2, just for so we can produce O2 at higher rates if we need other than the default passive rate. I understand that you can stack plenty of Modules to increase co2/o2 rates but just so this mod has its own legacy dedicated O2/CO2 converter :). I am pretty confident that in time you can make it generate food/waste etc. easily as long as the Kerbals have the function of using it.

P.S. Just noticed with closed shutters, if i leave it to produce monoprop or liq/oxi it still keeps doing it as the shutters are open, isnt it supposed to not be working in this case?

P.S.S. One more thing to say: At night or when no sunlight or El, Biomass should produce CO2 only.The mod should NOT use electricity when Shutters are closed and all the functions Disabled.

You are correct in pointing out the shutters not working correctly, and this will be fixed. There is a user here, seanth that is interested in collaborating with me on this mod. He's seems to have already fixed this issue, and BONUS!..is apparently a plant biologist, so I will have some expert input on making other processes work as realistically as possible.

If the shutters are closed but you have enough electricCharge and biomass the reactor will still function until it runs out of one of the resources it needs to function and should stop. If it is still not working correctly, this is something that will be addressed when i overhaul the parts. It is however true that the shutters do not act exactly as they should at the moment.

ElectricCharge usage when closed and inactive: My thoughts here are...Even at night or inactive, the module needs to use small amounts of electricCharge to maintain a healthy environment for the living organisms... even while they sleep! Atmosphere, climate control etc.. need power to run as they are automated life support systems. To shut it all down, would mean they would be too cold, ill fed and life could not exist on-board.

Edited by Roboto

Thats the point of open api...and even if people dont want to use kethane mod they would only need the .dll for this. It also handles multi-in/out conversions

0.22 just droped btw =)

Thats cool! Kinda makes me want to rethink my little plan about mounting a joke campaign "Environmentalists against the dirty and damaging effects of Kethane drilling! Use alternative fuels!" lol

0.22 just droped btw =)

0.22 just droped btw =)

0.22 just droped btw =)

WOO HOO! HECK YEA!!!

Edited by Roboto

Glad to see you finally came to the forums. This is a fun mod that adds a bit of pizzaz to space stations. I'd like to see this move from fuels to life support and science-based achievements though. Perhaps integrating soil sample collection with growth rates, CO2/N/O2 production and consumption, etc. maybe food production. Perhaps ping ZZZ or Sumghai for a texture alternative.

Glad to see you finally came to the forums. This is a fun mod that adds a bit of pizzaz to space stations. I'd like to see this move from fuels to life support and science-based achievements though. Perhaps integrating soil sample collection with growth rates, CO2/N/O2 production and consumption, etc. maybe food production. Perhaps ping ZZZ or Sumghai for a texture alternative.

Thanks! To be honest, I was terrified for a while to post the mod here. I wasn't really sure how people would respond too it, and was afraid that I'd be tarred and feathered for breaking the laws of physics. I was pleasantly surprised by the response when i finally did!

With all the 0.22 "research" I've been doing the last couple days, I have all sorts of new ideas and directions I want to go. Already working on implementing the Nitrogen cycle, and I'm totally with you on focusing a lot on science. Everything is kind of up in the air at the moment while I digest the changes, but I'm thinking that in career mode the Bio-Mass Reactor(creates the fuel) will be the very last thing to achieve in experimentalScience, and you'll have to work your way up to it by conducting a series of associated biological experiments.

I can see it now... "Bio-Mass 0.2 - Micro Flora Update. It's science as ****!"

Edited by Roboto
forum anticdote

You are correct in pointing out the shutters not working correctly, and this will be fixed. There is a user here, seanth that is interested in collaborating with me on this mod. He's seems to have already fixed this issue, and BONUS!..is apparently a plant biologist, so I will have some expert input on making other processes work as realistically as possible.

I'm following along now.

I'm finishing up organizing my notes and will be sending them to Roboto this weekend. Whether the raw notes end up on github is hard to say. Maybe a outline of the way forward.

Yes, I got the shutters working, but there's a problem with the model. I'll be submitting my modified part soon so it can be poked at.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.