Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

I have a storage box that weights 9 tons empty; It causes Bob to sink into the ground and blink forwards when he walks and it causes the suspension to bottom out on the vehicle it gets attached to. It carried a Magnet, Anchor, Connector port and a Grappling Hook before. On this vehicle, if I release the winch between the trailer and truck, the ground disappears and everything falls to the centre of Kerbin. I am quite perplexed and I think it needs an exorcist.

Sounds like a job for Paladin Alexander Anderson! :D

yeah, I attached it to my munar lander and then switched to the lander- it's the only way I was able to get info on the parts.

If the two crafts/part-assemblies are only connected but not docked, you can only control the parts of the one you are actively piloting at the moment.

It seems only the parts I'm placing on the mun are having issues. Any ideas?

I was having that problem everywhere off-Kerbin in version 4.0. With 4.4, mine is good in orbit so far, but haven't made it back to Mun yet.

Additionally: does anyone know what would cause a kerbal to spin like a freaking top when carrying a part on his back on EVA?

Well my first thought was there's a leak in his O2 or RCS tank! :o

While I love the idea, I don't think it's practical. You pretty much can't link 2 things with the winch without docking them, else you have a very big chance they'll collide. That chance is there anyway, but if they're docked they'll just clip through each other so no biggie. And once you're docked you're a single ship, and transferring stuff around a ship is a game mechanic that would probably be very hard to change.

Not hard to change at all. I have it disabled on mine. To transfer fuel between 2 ships I first use a winch to snag them, then set up struts in EVA, and finally connect the fuel line.

Not hard to change at all. I have it disabled on mine. To transfer fuel between 2 ships I first use a winch to snag them, then set up struts in EVA, and finally connect the fuel line.

This.. you just choose to do it realistically. either that or just reel it in to help a normal dock.

Takes ~2 minutes to add it to the tech tree yourself if you're so impatient...

I'm hoping you were tired and cranky when you wrote this, or maybe it just sounds harsher than it is.

Newer guys, modding the parts is pretty easy. You just have to edit the txt files and this is not a part heavy mod like NovaPunch or B9, so it's not a lot of files to edit.

1. Go to your KSP folder under <KSP Folder>/GameData/Squad/Parts

2. Find the stock part that you want a particular KAS part grouped with when it's unlocked in the tree. (I grouped all mine with utility parts)

3. Open the .cfg file for that part with notepad if you are in windows or your favorite text editor in Linux (If you are using a mac, I can't help you, lol)

4. Look for a line that says something like TechRequired = metaMaterials and copy that line

5. Go to the KAS part you want and open the .cfg file.

6. Paste the line into the .cfg file and save it.

I put all my KAS parts in about 4 nodes on the tech tree.

If you already have the tech tree unlocked, it might be helpful to review which parts are in the nodes where you want the KAS stuff.

Hope this helps.

You can strut ships that aren't docked together as one ship? That's news to me.

Or do you have it set to not transfer over the cable even though the ships are docked? If so, then I take it back. I said "probably" for a reason :) and am happy to say I'm wrong.

I'm hoping you were tired and cranky when you wrote this, or maybe it just sounds harsher than it is.
Text communication is difficult sometimes because its hard to convey overtones. My post wasn't intended as a rebuke, just informational. Really you could figure out how to do this just by opening literally ANY squad part .cfg file and looking at the tech tags then adding those to the KAS parts.

I tend to believe that people should at least try to do something themselves before running to the forum to demand others do the work. Or at the very least ask for help. Like "Hey guys, how can I add these parts to my tech tree?" rather than "Guys when are you gonna add these to the tech tree?"

Help yourself, it literally took me about 2 minutes to go through the parts and add them in. Thats all I meant. :)

You can just connect the ships with pipes, then strut them together. Pipe-connected ships will count as one ship, so struts will work. Thus, you can reel a ship in, lock the winch, set up strut connectors, connect pipes - at that point the ships become one - and then connect the struts.

edit: also, I very much recommend using ModuleManager to alter large sets of parts. It's what I used to add Kethane integration for Near Future Propulsion. KAS parts can be altered in the same way.

edit: also, I very much recommend using ModuleManager to alter large sets of parts. It's what I used to add Kethane integration for Near Future Propulsion. KAS parts can be altered in the same way.

yes ModuleManager is cool I added ModularFuel to all the Near Future tanks because I wanted to use them with ALL my ships. Some of the best looking tanks I have seen.

Hi

First i want to say thank you for the great mod, i love transfering fuel (and Kethane) from one vessel to another.

But, i'm not sure, i may encountered a problem.

I've seen some nice pictures of people building Mün bases with Structural Fuselages. I wanted to build one too, and thought the best way to do so would first be to build a crane, with which i could lift the parts to it's destination.

I started experimenting with 0.21 and KAS 0.3.1, but the update to 0.22 broke the electro magnet. No problem, let's update to KAS 0.4.4.

But now when i extend a cable (from being completly retracted) my crane gets lifted into the air. This push is so strong, it breaks off the wheels (unless i strut them to the vehicle, and even then they get damaged). Have you ever encountered this problem?

I tried removing all other mods, but nothing changed.

Here is a screenshot of how it looks like:

zvsC5jS.png

Thanks

Edited by Xegon

First of all, fixed your image not showing:

zvsC5jS.png

Now for your problem: So, just extending the cable breaks the wheels? Is the crane from an older version (i.e. has it been standing there before you upgraded to KSP .22)? If you build a minimalistic version of this (smaller, less parts), does this also happen?

Can you hang another whinch from the ceiling of the cargo bay to hang your rover from it and dock it there?

Tested with docking ports same problem. I think its a game issue. Didn't have this issue prior to .22, tested on my .21 install and it works perfectly. Connect plug (docked) pull it in the cargo bay, and it stays on the floor of the cargo bay, not through it.

No biggy, I just wont transport vehicles in anything for a while.

My horizontal stack winch doesn't seem to work. I couldn't get Bilgas Kerbal to grab it so I ejected it, now it seems there is no way to retract or extend it as the option doesn't show up in the menu. This is the way all the other winches appear to work so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or maybe a bug in this particular winch.

NJcNKVS.png

Does good ol' Bilgas need to get our there and beat on it a few times with a wrench or should I stay away from using horizontal stack winches for the moment?

Edited by RSF77

Hi

First i want to say thank you for the great mod, i love transfering fuel (and Kethane) from one vessel to another.

But, i'm not sure, i may encountered a problem.

I've seen some nice pictures of people building Mün bases with Structural Fuselages. I wanted to build one too, and thought the best way to do so would first be to build a crane, with which i could lift the parts to it's destination.

I started experimenting with 0.21 and KAS 0.3.1, but the update to 0.22 broke the electro magnet. No problem, let's update to KAS 0.4.4.

But now when i extend a cable (from being completly retracted) my crane gets lifted into the air. This push is so strong, it breaks off the wheels (unless i strut them to the vehicle, and even then they get damaged). Have you ever encountered this problem?

I tried removing all other mods, but nothing changed.

Here is a screenshot of how it looks like:

Thanks

Are you using the same winches from a previous version. He changed a few things on the winches in the newer version. And said it may cause problems if you do not replace them before updating. I removed all my old KAS parts from every craft and installed the new version. then replaced them as needed. I doubt this helped any. but sometimes we miss simple things.

Nice Crane BTW

I just noticed that in the cfg files for the wenches, "maxLength" is spelled "maxLenght" instead. Not sure if that would cause a problem or not. I haven't experienced any issues in game.

Edited by 5thHorseman
I incorrectly thought wench1 and wench2 were okay

Now for your problem: So, just extending the cable breaks the wheels? Is the crane from an older version (i.e. has it been standing there before you upgraded to KSP .22)? If you build a minimalistic version of this (smaller, less parts), does this also happen?

Yes, extending (from being completely retracted) or completely retracting breaks the wheels. When the cable is already hanging around and moving it up or down does not trigger that behaviour. As for the older version, no. I made a similar crane with the old version, but build this completly new, so that should not be a problem.

I will make more tests once i get home. And i will install KSP on my laptop to have a completly clean install, put KAS into it and make moar tests.

PS: image... yeah i guess i should have linked the .png file... doh!

Trying to understand this mod. Someone said this mod can be used to attach new parts to a ship. I don't understand how.

As an example. I have a stranded lander on Duna. It fell on its side on touchdown due to the landing site happened to be a steep slope.

It rolled around afew revs before coming to a halt. During the rolling about, the solar panels broke (fell off) due to collision with the ground.

Does this mod make it possible to go there and "repair" (attach new solar panels) in the same places as the ones that fell off, to restore the broken lander to a working condition?

Thanks

Chris

Ok I learned how attaching parts works. Just as I wanted. Awesome. However it could be more awesome.

I seem to be lacking any kind of presicion when attaching parts?

On a lander I'm trying to repair has previously had 4 solarpanels on with was put on with quad symmetry and snap, in the VAB. They are exactly angled 90 degrees apart.

One of them broke off during an unfortunate landing and now I'm trying to put on a new one with the attach mode. It does not want to snap to the exact angle/position so it is no longer symmetric with the other 3.

Any help/tips on this? Also, why only rotate on 1 axis? Is it possible to rotate on other axises?

//Chris

Ok I learned how attaching parts works. Just as I wanted. Awesome. However it could be more awesome.

I seem to be lacking any kind of presicion when attaching parts?

On a lander I'm trying to repair has previously had 4 solarpanels on with was put on with quad symmetry and snap, in the VAB. They are exactly angled 90 degrees apart.

One of them broke off during an unfortunate landing and now I'm trying to put on a new one with the attach mode. It does not want to snap to the exact angle/position so it is no longer symmetric with the other 3.

Any help/tips on this? Also, why only rotate on 1 axis? Is it possible to rotate on other axises?

//Chris

Yeah, sucks that you can only rotate on one axis. And also that it doesn't snap.

I don't know how it works, but I'm gonna assume that symmetry/snap to "grid" will be hard to program.

Maybe it's possible to add rotation to other axises by copying the part that rotates to rotate the other axises too. I'll leave that to someone else to figure out :P

I wonder, is it possible to rework the Pipe Connector part to work as a bi-directional engine? As in, an actual fuel pump. It wouldn't connect two craft into one any more (removing the problem of connected bases), and would now instead transfer any resources available on the connected craft, one side drawing resources, like an engine, and the other side adding resources, like the Kethane Converter. Implementation would likely require that it transfer all resources it can reach on one side and store on the other, necessitating that the source craft turn off the flow of resources it needs to keep. Perhaps even a separate lightweight "wire" connector to transfer electricity, for authenticity.

Yeah, sucks that you can only rotate on one axis. And also that it doesn't snap.

I don't know how it works, but I'm gonna assume that symmetry/snap to "grid" will be hard to program.

Thing is though, it DOES snap, but not to the same snap points as in the VAB. When I tried to attach a small solar panel to a small fuel tank, it did seem to snap like it was set to Octa-snap. When mounted in the first place, the panels were attached using a quad-snap. Maybe it's just that the game engine "sees" that small fuel tank as an object with eight sides, and the mods "snap" is not using VAB type snap, but in fact object side snap. Would be awesome though to have the same amount of precision when attaching stuff so you don't loose your vessels symmetry.

Edited by chrisofsweden