Single mission science points record in v0.22

lajoswinkler

After you've finished a single launch mission, what was your record number of science points?

When I started with v0.22, it was very low, around 50 if I was lucky.

Last night I went to Eve with a double core probe (Amazon 1 and 2), one for ocean and one for land. One goo container, science bay, barometer and thermometer per each core. One simplest antenna, too. Nothing fancy. I've never used multiple goos or bays.

2946_1.png

2946_2.png

Unlocking stuff was a treat.

I honestly didn't count the points as the mission went forward, so when I got to R&D, my jaw dropped. I've expected around 300 points, 500 at most, but almost 3000?

I can only expect what will happen when I send a multicore probe to Joolean system. It might be over 9000. :huh:

I got about 5500 science from my one single-probe Eve mission. Researched and transmitted to beyond 0.1 science with all science instruments some remnants in interplanetary space, but mainly everything in Eve system: Eve high orbit, Eve low orbit, Gilly high orbit, Gilly low orbit, Gilly surface, Eve upper atmosphere, Eve lower atmosphere (what I managed to do during descent - too few open solar panels so it mostly used batteries) and Eve surface.

Just Eve ocean and manned science remaining but there's no point as this single mission uncovered the whole rest of the tree for me.

Edited by Kasuha

I haven't actually run it yet, but I have a theoretical Mun mission in the wings that's worth a minimum of 9,296 science. It takes full advantage of the Mun's 14 biomes to get data on all of them from the surface and transmit that data back to KSC.

I just netted 440 from a trip to Duna with a probe, science bay and goo. Not a big mission at all either. One reading from high orbit of Duna transmitted home and a reading from the moon (Ike?) in high orbit as well then sent home for recovery. Considering I left Duna with more than 4k Delta V reserved I probably could have got much more if I was going for all biomes, took a kerbal or two and maybe went for a different system. I was planning on messing with a space plane too but it seems we don't get any different results for it

Each big Mun crater is a separate biome SpaceSphereOfDeathso you get max points for first readings. You can see in these reports that each of the craters has its own name. I did a two crater hop and return today with temp seismic grav materials goo crew EVA and sample for each with a few duplications and was amazed that I netted over 1000 research points which is my best yet. I havent been outside the Kerbin SOI yet, taking it slowly and playing with the challenges.

Origin%20O07.jpg

Origin%20O07B.jpg

First mission - 1472 on tier 0 parts. Duna fly-by, Ike landing, Minmus landing, Mun orbit, return to Kerbin.

Bloody hell. Good show! If you're smart about your unlocks after that mission, you could ostensibly max your tech tree on flight 2 by taking advantage of the 14 Mun biomes.

Bloody hell. Good show! If you're smart about your unlocks after that mission, you could ostensibly max your tech tree on flight 2 by taking advantage of the 14 Mun biomes.

Yep, I'm pretty sure 2 launches is all it takes. Scott Manley picked up 6000 on his second launch after getting just 350 on the first. With 1472 points I have unlocked nuclear engines and most of the science parts, so that means my second mission should be able to get.... ?!?!? All of it I guess?? :P

Also, didn't know there were 14 (!). Could probably have picked up quite a few more points if I'd stayed in Munar orbit taking EVA reports for a while longer.

You would have had to have gotten in a polar orbit to exploit all of them for that. The Mun's 14 biomes are spread all over the place. But yeah, you could have gotten a lot of EVA reports from low Munar orbit! By my math, you could come back with around 1600 science, unlock all of the Mun-compatible science tech plus docking ports, then do my own proposed multi-landing refueling mission to the Mun's surface to gather and transmit all of the data on the surface about each biome and max the tech tree with ease.

Edited by SkyRender

I wasn't polar, but I was *highly* eccentric, so I could have gotten most of them.

Actually, I think my last quicksave was still in Munar orbit, so I could go back and patiently collect more, but it's too late for the video!

I'm confused.. you gotta love this update. I feel like I'm playing the game again for the first time. But uh... how are people getting these science numbers? I saw someone got over 300 points in LKO. Best I managed was... 50. Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I'm confused.. you gotta love this update. I feel like I'm playing the game again for the first time. But uh... how are people getting these science numbers? I saw someone got over 300 points in LKO. Best I managed was... 50. Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Every experiment has a base and maximum threshold. Those of us getting absurd science points even in LKO are doing so by way of transmission. Returned samples give you the full base score of the experiment, but repeated transmissions can get the full maximum threshold if you do them enough times. Biomes also help with this: there's 9 of them around Kerbin, and 14 of them around the Mun. A thoroughly planned trip to the Mun can net you 9296 science from the surface, plus 699 from low orbit and 213 from high orbit for a total of 10,208 science if you suck the Mun dry of its store. That's just shy of enough to unlock every node on the tech tree.

I bet these extra points will be used in exchange for money in more advanced versions, when the number of available parts becomes limited. KSP will become a really tough game.

I'm not sure that's quite how it would work. The problem with that is that due to diminishing returns of repeating missions, there is only a limited amount of science that can be obtained in a universe.

My first mission which was just a single orbit of Kerbin and I got 83 points (I thought that was good till I saw Scott's vid!).

I've just done my second mission which was a two man, two lander mission to Mun and Minmus and I returned with 1033 points (a score also apparently tramped on by the master!)

That's really interesting info SkyRender. Until I got to Mun I thought only Kerbin had biomes so far. That's interesting to hear that there are more on Mun than Kerbin. Cheers for that info. Mun, prepare to be science'd to death!

I'm really enjoying this change in game style, especially when I thought it I wouldn't! Yet again, KSP (and the forum) has shown me that there is still much more to learn!

The best I did was last night, when I ransacked the Duna science vault.

I'd previously been there, but went back with new instruments, and was a bit more thorough, taking all possible science points from everywhere. The only place left is in atmosphere. I still ended up with about 3500 points. I got around that on my first visit there.

Are there more science points if you repeatedly transmit by radio, or if you "save them" (no transmitting) and return to Kerbin?

Repeated transmissions give you about the same point total as repeated returns. It just takes more transmission to reach that total.

Yesterday I did a single trip to Jool and its moons. I've visited them all except for Bop, most of them in either high and low orbit. I can't exactly tell how much science I got, but it must have been over 5000. All in all, I had a lot of fun doing the mission, Jool's moons are pretty easy to use to navigate around the whole system.