This game is way too frustrating

jman128

The lack of a decoupler actually made it quite fun for me though... (You can fire a rocket to overheat the part attached under it to make it explode and... decouple, lmao)

Sure, there's some fun to be had in Tier 1. On the recommendation of another player I tried starting out with a pod sitting on top of the wee SRB for a few short flights. Loads of fun!

the lack of a clear path of getting better by unlocking things in the game really turns people off.

That really depends on the type of people. Some enjoy challenges and love to dig into things to figure out how everything works. Yet others prefer to get showered with achievements that tell them how awesome they are, just for picking their nose.

Patience is also becoming are rare quality nowadays.

What really annoys me, are people wo do not even take the time to look at the key-bindings (or better yet, to adjust them to their liking) before jumping into a game and then run around asking other people which key does what. (an attitude which I simply can't get into my mind... but some people seem to like it that way)

Guest Brody_Peffley
FYI, I never blamed the game... I don't think many did at the start, they were all telling him to stick with it and he'd get it with practice.

BUT....

I take your point... kids have very low attention spans these days. That is the problem, they want to load a game, do it all, then tell everyone how cool they are and laugh at the ones that don't get it...

maybe there should be a warning posted on the download page about exactly what it takes to be part of this adventure....

Im 13 I don't have any problem with doing anything in kerbal space program. I could go to duna and back and eeloo.

Im 13 I don't have any problem with doing anything in kerbal space program. I could go to duna and back and eeloo.

That's the problem with generalizations. Every single one is wrong ;) Though I suspect you're an exception to the rule.

For the record I don't think it's "these days." When I was 13 I'd have loved the idea of KSP but I doubt I've have stuck with it long enough to get to Mun even. And I'm ... let's just say it's not the 80s any more. :D

If you're finding the game frustrating:

1. Play the tutorial

2.start with sandbox mode

3. if you still have issues, look up some tutorials on youtube or on the forums right here!

4. if you still find it frustrating and unenjoyable, perhaps this game is not for you. we all were newbies once, and we just needed a little guidance

LOL I giggle when I read post like these. Starting tech tree reminds me of playing the early alpha release of KSP. Raw, no mods, no crutches, But hey on the bright side you now have maps and nodes. Back then orbiting was all the rage.

Atomic's quick guide to getting more parts fast in 8 easy steps: (all without leaving the pad!)

step1: Load command pod

step2: click launch button

step3: get crew report

step4: EVA on launch pad / take surface sample (launchpad)

step5: Store info in pod (walk up to the pod and click on store info)

step6: take another EVA report and surface sample(launchpad) Leave your kerbal standing outside

step7: go to tracking station and recover the kerbal and the pod

step8: profit (feel free to roll in all the science)

PS: This will only work for the first node or 2.

Edited by AtomicFrawg
editing is fun!

"Wee choose to go to the moon and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - President Kennedy

I can't begin to count how many explosions on launch I've had, and even with rockets that seemed to work perfectly (While sitting still) would go to pieces on launch. Keep at it, and don't forget, If it' ain't blowing up at least once, you didn't kerbalize it enough.

I'm no physics god and im not what i would call smart (im certainly not stupid)

However when i got ksp in 0.20 I had no idea about orbital mechanics. I thought nasa pointed their rocket at the moon and flew. all i did was all the in game tutorials (which explain a hell of alot without even mentioning delta v or maneuver nodes) and later down the road i watched a rondevous and docking tutorial on youtube. Sure i blew up alot of rockets and alot of it was hilarious! But that is all i needed and I've managed plenty. The only other youtube stuff i've watched is nassaults ksp cinematics.

I dont know what the problem is with these people who come to play a space sim, slap some stuff to gether and expect to go out into the the edge of the system.

A theory i have (and it doesnt just apply to this it applies to alot of aspects of life) I liek to call COD syndrome. Think about it, COD is a simple game, you are given a gun and some ammo. Told how to crouch and shoot and within minutes your are killing swarms of enemies. You put COD down and go play ARMA and rather than learning how to play it. You assume its crap and go back to the simpler game...my friends just call those people COD kiddies.

However I expect alot of newcomers will start with career mode first thinking its the best option and sandbox will be too overwhelming. Personally the next patch should just be a couple of UI boxes when you start your first rocket that say either "have you played the career tutorial" Which will then proceed to take you to a tuturial guide that teaches you how to eva and take samples and crew reports! (took me a couple mins to work it out when 0.22 came in as i hadnt watched any dev blogs or vids)

OOORRRR it says something like "welcome to your first day at KSC. We dont have many parts atm but we should have enough to get us nearly to space and collect some science on the way. Would you like us to teach you how?"

That should be the priority for the next patch (weather it just be a hotfix patch) It would stop posts like this (although this is the first i've seen of someone outright giving up after what i can only assume is 10 minutes of play time. Please NOTE that in COD after 10 minutes you have probably killed about 50 guys and thrown grenades and shizzle) Its all well and good saying "go watch some vids on youtube" which i personally feel is wrong but not everyone wants to watch a 30 minute vid on how to put a rocket together and fly. I dont buy a game just to learn from youtube vids. It should all be in the game...saying that though this is still in alpha.

And to OP. Press the "t" key. Its usefull in helping to stop your craft going all pete tong.

Edited by vetrox

In career mode I cant even fly straight.

I cant get enough science to buy the flight control module.

None of the thrusters make sense. One gives me enough fuel to get into orbit or into space. then the bigger ones dont even get me out of the atmosphere

Flying is too hard. its just not fun.

All my rockets do is spin around.

Also the STAYSPUTNIK makes no sense. You can even attach a parachute to it.

Also once I got research into the next capsule level I got a control cockpit that doesnt even have the ability to attach a parachute to.

Its too frustrating to even call fun, I feel like its a waste of money

You mean... you didn't find career mode's lack of useful parts liberating? You didn't embrace the reduced choice and, in doing so, find the game easier to approach?

Hmmm... funny that.

For all the subtle bashing this guy's taking, he's exactly the demographic that the crippled tech tree is supposed to be making the game more inviting for.

You mean... you didn't find career mode's lack of useful parts liberating? You didn't embrace the reduced choice and, in doing so, find the game easier to approach?

Hmmm... funny that.

For all the subtle bashing this guy's taking, he's exactly the demographic that the crippled tech tree is supposed to be making the game more inviting for.

You mean he did try the tutorials like you would for any game? Albeit they are limited right now, but there is a lot more content yet to be added. Yes, the FIRST implimentation of the career mode needs tweaking. This is because we haven't even finished Alpha yet! It's still being worked on! This is also why there is a forum, and a community that is incredibly helpful.

I always thought the career was meant to add another level of challenge? especially when cash comes into play. It will certainly by no means be easier than sandbox mode.

You mean he did try the tutorials like you would for any game? Albeit they are limited right now, but there is a lot more content yet to be added. Yes, the FIRST implimentation of the career mode needs tweaking. This is because we haven't even finished Alpha yet! It's still being worked on! This is also why there is a forum, and a community that is incredibly helpful.

The tutorials aren't very helpful. For anyone.

Well when i started ksp i had no idea what to do. After doing the tutorials i knew what to do. So they do work. The thing i still vividly remember is how they teach you the prograde and retrograde markers and their effect on an orbit.

If I had any idea what he meant by "flight control module" it might be useful input. Unless you're building rockets so large that you need more command authority, I don't see what he could mean, and the limited part selection kind of discourages you from trying something that big. Having more parts would just make this worse.

He's not talking MechJeb, is he? If you've unlocked Stayputnik, you've unlocked tail fins, reaction wheels, etc., so I'm not sure what else he could be talking about or why he's having problems controlling his existing craft. Possibly running out of electricity, but if he doesn't know that's what's happening, adding more parts probably won't help.

Maybe he's talking about the inline advanced stabilizer, AKA the heavier version of the reaction wheel because he doesn't know about the SAS+reaction wheel changes that happened in 0.21?

We don't actually know that. This honestly sounds more like someone with at least a little experience that is either expecting mods or hasn't followed how things have changed within the game, and no arrangement of the tech tree other than including all parts and all mods at the first node (as in, turning it into sandbox mode) is going to help without knowing what the actual problem is.

Proven wrong within this thread, and I'll second the comments that did so. I found them helpful. Then again, I had never studied orbital physics, so I didn't know anything about how to do orbital maneuvers.