This game is way too frustrating

jman128

In career mode I cant even fly straight.

I cant get enough science to buy the flight control module.

None of the thrusters make sense. One gives me enough fuel to get into orbit or into space. then the bigger ones dont even get me out of the atmosphere

Flying is too hard. its just not fun.

All my rockets do is spin around.

Also the STAYSPUTNIK makes no sense. You can even attach a parachute to it.

Also once I got research into the next capsule level I got a control cockpit that doesnt even have the ability to attach a parachute to.

Its too frustrating to even call fun, I feel like its a waste of money

One question, did you just buy the game, or have you owned it for some time?

If you are new to the game, it does have a VERY steep learning curve, and I would recommend trying sandbox first and flying some of the stock rockets that come with the game. If you simply don't know how to play the game, you should look up scott manley, and watch some of his KSP tutorials. You must keep trying, because this game is NOT easy to learn, but in my opinion, it is the best game I have ever played.

Spica

I had the demo, and I was TERRIBLE at KSP then. Every rocket I made exploded, and I couldn't get into an orbit until I watched a lot of tutorials. Now, I can build space stations, land on the Mun on a whim, and build bases on other worlds.

Just be patient, watch Scott Manley, and practice, and you'll be an expert rocket scientist in no time!

Also this is my first post. :D

Whatever mode you start in, you need to start out simple. Start with sub orbital launches. In Career, that is the capsule, parachute, about four fuel cans stacked, and the LV-30 engine. Launch straight up, then about 5000meters, get a feel on how to use the WSAD keys to steer into a trajectory. When steering, the Navball is your instrument of choice for showing you what your rocket is doing, not the visual view. Note what works and what doesn't. Also, learn what the staging controls do when building a rocket.

As you gain more knowledge how things work, you can start building two and three stage designs, learn the limitations of the engines used, and learn how to get into orbit using map mode as your guide and the Nav ball to track what your rocket is doing.

And, radial mount parachutes will attack to the Kersputnik as seen on this Duna probe landing.

er9UPJ2.jpg

Edited by SRV Ron

I remember feeling like this when I first started playing. Making a rocket then realizing I didn't even know how to initiate liftoff after 10 minutes of pressing buttons and clicking on things wasn't exactly fun for me. It got better from there, though. Lots better.

If you're going for the Career mode, you really have to start suborbital. Even better - start exploring the Space Center. There are few places you can visit and pick up samples so you'll get more points.

After that, start suborbital. Launch Jeb in a capsule with a parachute and explore the atmosphere of Kerbin. Have fun. Don't be angry you can't go interplanetary at once.

Take your time, watch some videos, and have patience... All of the above is good advice. The game isnt exactly begginer friendly, but its very rewarding once you get a few basic concepts and techniques. Just dont get discouraged! :P

I can understand where he's coming from. There is a tremendous learning curve with this game and a majority of the tutorials on how things are done are out of game (you-tube, etc). While some fantastic tutorials have been added to the game, I think a walkthrough of your first rocket assembly for a successful launch would be a great help. Adding in basic tools to the assembly buildings (such as Delta V stats and how they relate to your build much like Mechjeb does) will help rid the new player of that "wtf am I doing" feeling. I think the majority of players still active spent weeks reading and you-tubing before they even got their first rocket into orbit, it's a special kind of player that puts in that kind of time.

That said, the new players have got to remember, this game isn't finished yet! Don't come in saying "this game sucks cause it can't do this!". Still, hopefully we can learn lessons from the message between the lines of the rants and pull something positive from the experience.

it does have a VERY steep learning curve

It depends on previous experiences and knowledge. I have been an avid space enthousiast all my life and that actually helped and still helps a lot. The simulation is often accurate enough to look to real life when things do not work. Having an (basic) understanding how rocket launches and the physics actually work are majorly helpful. With space flight, nothing comes easy or for free. At the same time that is what makes it fun; to do something that seems impossible and figuring out how to do it step by step.

Of course just figuring out the controls might not be that much fun, but you could always check the configuration screen or the many clips on Youtube. It might an idea to start out in Sandbox Mode, as this gives you a bit more freedom to try different things.

All the advice here is stellar, it really is, but also, I would advise, start in Sandbox mode first. full access to ALL parts. Learn there. ALSO try the training scenarios that are built into the game. welcome and please, always feel free to ask any of us anything :)

Neil Armstrong had to start somewhere... they spent a fortune teach him.... this is NOT a game....

Its an adventure... if it was too easy, you'd complain about that!

The adventure has started for you.... one step at a time, you need to find out how to adapt to the game.... if life gives you lemons, make lemonade, you have a problem.. now you need to adapt and find a way to get into space... Before NASA was formed, the USAF had MANY failures... most spectacular and all caught on film....

With the limited parts at the entry level of Career Mode, your first rocket for suborbital flight should look like this;

Note how staging should be set up for this first attempt.

zlLmY45.jpg

With more levels unlocked, an orbiter will look like this minus the solar panels.

I3Swu3d.jpg

This, with proper power management and careful maneuvering planning, will reach Mun orbit and return;

zUCLXGU.jpg

cfd0Euk.jpg

Keep trying, look at the videos in the tutorials, learn what works and what doesn't. We all started where you did at one time or another in the Kerbal School of hard Knocks.

Edited by SRV Ron

To be honest, the starting tech is sucky. The lack of a decoupler really limits the amount of fun you can have. Luckily there's no need to actually build a rocket to get to the next tech level, just put a pod on the pad and do a crew report, EVA and soil sample, and you'll have more than enough points to progress. Then start building rockets like SRV Ron's ones above.

I appreciate everyone being nice to this guy, it's what we do on these forums, but it gets my goat a bit when people assume it's a problem with the game that causes them to fail all the time. We all have the same game. Most of us find incredibly rewarding, fun, challenging and downright awesome.

Some aspects of it seem to make little sense to you? Well I'm afraid that's your sense that is the problem.

You can't do something most others can? Yup, this means you're the problem.

Too frustrating and can't be bothered working stuff out? Then don't play anymore. This game is all about experimentation and working stuff out.

Pretty much all of us failed at the start and failed big-time. Did we give up cuz it didn't hold our hands and guide us straight to the Mun? Nope, we went away and had a look at YouTube or the wiki or just downright played around with stuff until it made sense or worked.

Honestly, OP should probably put this down to experience and not bother anymore, this game obviously ain't for you.

I appreciate everyone being nice to this guy, it's what we do on these forums, but it gets my goat a bit when people assume it's a problem with the game that causes them to fail all the time. We all have the same game. Most of us find incredibly rewarding, fun, challenging and downright awesome.

This is actually a common theme I've found in the games I tend to like the most. The need to learn how to play and (until recently) the lack of a clear path of getting better by unlocking things in the game really turns people off.

I guess we (well, they, though I love a lot of those games too) are a bit spoiled by games where everything is simple and just given to us. We're also used to games that are... well... complete :)

If the OP can't handle the game as-is, maybe you should sideboard it for a while and come back when it's no longer in Alpha. When it hits Beta is should essentially be a feature complete game and the only problems it will have are bugs and tweaks. As a bonus, you've already bought it and will be able to play the Beta version for "free." :)

To be honest, the starting tech is sucky. The lack of a decoupler really limits the amount of fun you can have. Luckily there's no need to actually build a rocket to get to the next tech level, just put a pod on the pad and do a crew report, EVA and soil sample, and you'll have more than enough points to progress. Then start building rockets like SRV Ron's ones above.

The lack of a decoupler actually made it quite fun for me though... (You can fire a rocket to overheat the part attached under it to make it explode and... decouple, lmao)

Though I do understand the lack of a radial decoupler, without those it really limits my options after I got so used to using them.

FYI, I never blamed the game... I don't think many did at the start, they were all telling him to stick with it and he'd get it with practice.

BUT....

I take your point... kids have very low attention spans these days. That is the problem, they want to load a game, do it all, then tell everyone how cool they are and laugh at the ones that don't get it...

maybe there should be a warning posted on the download page about exactly what it takes to be part of this adventure....

Edited by kiwi1960