[1.2] VOID 1.1.0-beta - Vessel Orbital Informational Display

toadicus

Far as what bullet? I've been using FAR fairly extensively in my installs and haven't noticed anything untoward with regards to this interacting with it.

What I mainly mean by integration in particular is your delta-v calculations. FAR changes your requirements quite extensively and its nice to be as accurate as possible if you can.

Velocity change is velocity change. With or without atmosphere. The only differences you're going to notice are atmospheric losses which aren't shown AFAIK; though I could be wrong. I know MJ2 has the ability to show atmospheric drag losses but it doesn't function with FAR; though Gravitational and steering losses are shown. Also you'll notice a change with regards to sea level TWR as opposed to atmospheric and non-atmospheric; but that's calculated automatically based on atmospheric pressure in the game itself.

As far as I can tell though everything is accurate; just requires less delta V to get into orbit using FAR (1k-ish less needed) since the atmosphere thins out much more quickly than stock.

What I mainly mean by integration in particular is your delta-v calculations. FAR changes your requirements quite extensively and its nice to be as accurate as possible if you can.
Change in velocity, in this case, means only the change in velocity caused by your engines. As such, it is independent of atmospheric effects. FAR only affects things having to do with atmosphere. So, the two should not interfere.

Gravity isn't accounted for in DV either. If you're traveling straight up in a vacuum, your velocity will be falling as your velocity is converted into potential energy. But this doesn't consume your Delta-V. It's just telling you how much your engines can change your velocity vector, regardless of the effects of atmosphere and gravity.

I, too, would like to see Remaining Delta-V in the hud somewhere. Looking forward to the next VOID release!

Can I suggest something for the HUD?

Can we have a Delta-v remaining line for it?

Because I have been finding that half of the time I don't need a lot of the stuff on the HUD but a delta-v indicator would be really great.

:P

I'm currently taking a step back to look at the HUD in its entirety to see how it can be improved. The panes can now be moved, and the calculations now take advantage of the same rate-limiting as the Orbital and Vessel panels. I'm about out of room to add stuff to the existing HUD panes... might need to find a spot for a third.

Shad0wCatcher and dudecon are correct: the delta-v available to your spacecraft doesn't change just because you're using FAR; all that changes is the delta-v required to make orbit, which VOID does not attempt to approximate or indicate at any point. VOID also does not estimate drag losses at this time.

So, while I can't claim that VOID has "FAR integration", there is also no VOID functionality that is invalidated by the use of FAR or vice-versa, so VOID is completely "FAR compatible".

EDIT: Secret pre-release screenshot!

Edited by toadicus

VOID has been updated to version 0.9.21! This version improves engineering data, adds some new and useful information to the HUD, along with a bunch of other goodies.

CHANGELOG:

v.0.9.21 [2014-03-17]
* VOID_HUD: Added total and last-stage delta-V indication, added pitch indication. Slightly rearranged the existing HUD elements.
* VOID_HUD: HUD panes are now moveable; see new "lock HUD windows" toggle in the config menu.
* VOID_HUD: Major rework of the HUD underpinnings. HUD now uses the same rate-limiting tech as the Orbital and Vessel Info panels.
* VOID_CBInfoBrowser: Bodies which have no atmosphere will no longer report any atmospheric data, whether Squad populated those fields or not.
* VOID_VesselInfo: Minor tweaks to avoid some exceptional scenarios.
* Engineer Integration: Now using more-correct gravity values in flight and in the editor. This should eliminate the TWR discrepancy between the two scenes.
* Toolbar Integration: Now using Toolbar's official dependency-free wrapper.
* Toolbar Integration: Change to use a single button between scenes; this should avoid the "duplicate button" issue in recent versions of Toolbar.
* VOID will no longer consume power when power consumption is enabled, but VOID is "powered off."
* Changed the icon to something new, thanks to [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/members/69225"]dudecon[/URL].
* Various minor code improvements throughout.

VOID has been updated to version 0.9.21! This version improves engineering data, adds some new and useful information to the HUD, along with a bunch of other goodies.

Er, does this one have new requirements or something? It appears to work on my system, but it won't make a visible toolbar button with Blizzy's toolbar, and won't update delta-v in flight or change window style..

(I have the 1.7.0 toolbar and the 1.5.y modulemanager from DRE 4.5; I've downgraded back to 0.9.20 VOID, and it doesn't have any issues with my setup)

Really hoping I can get this squared away as the feature list of the new version has made me quite enthusiastic for it! :)

Er, does this one have new requirements or something? It appears to work on my system, but it won't make a visible toolbar button with Blizzy's toolbar, and won't update delta-v in flight or change window style..

(I have the 1.7.0 toolbar and the 1.5.y modulemanager from DRE 4.5; I've downgraded back to 0.9.20 VOID, and it doesn't have any issues with my setup)

Really hoping I can get this squared away as the feature list of the new version has made me quite enthusiastic for it! :)

No, no new requirements. I have all those mods installed as well (and oh so many more), and the new version works without issue. Can you get me a copy of your debug log (Windows: \path\to\KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt; Linux (& Mac?): ~/.unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log) for a failure?

A few troubleshooting options:

The VOID icon has changed names and appearance; make sure you've extracted the new Textures. Also, in Toolbar, you may need to right-click to its options menu and go to "Configure button visibility..." and enable the new button. Since buttons in Toolbar default to off, if for some reason the change didn't prompt Toolbar to ask you to enable it, it might just be hidden.

The delta-v indication, in my experience, has generally had improved performance, not reduced. Are you using any special mod parts or engines that perhaps it doesn't recognize (e.g. I'm pretty sure the KSP Interstellar Nuclear Thermal Turbojets don't get calculated properly). If not, this is probably the result of some kind of Exceptional Behavior, and I won't be able to comment further without a log.

I can duplicate the skin issue. I don't know what's causing it yet, but it looks like it's on my end.

Also, I think you have to be in VAB and pick a part then goto "Configure button visibility...".

Correct, in the editors the button won't be initialized until you add a root part or load a vessel. In flight, the button is initialized immediately.

No, no new requirements. I have all those mods installed as well (and oh so many more), and the new version works without issue. Can you get me a copy of your debug log (Windows: \path\to\KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt; Linux (& Mac?): ~/.unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log) for a failure?

A few troubleshooting options:

The VOID icon has changed names and appearance; make sure you've extracted the new Textures. Also, in Toolbar, you may need to right-click to its options menu and go to "Configure button visibility..." and enable the new button. Since buttons in Toolbar default to off, if for some reason the change didn't prompt Toolbar to ask you to enable it, it might just be hidden.

The delta-v indication, in my experience, has generally had improved performance, not reduced. Are you using any special mod parts or engines that perhaps it doesn't recognize (e.g. I'm pretty sure the KSP Interstellar Nuclear Thermal Turbojets don't get calculated properly). If not, this is probably the result of some kind of Exceptional Behavior, and I won't be able to comment further without a log.

I can duplicate the skin issue. I don't know what's causing it yet, but it looks like it's on my end.

The button for VOID appeared in the toolbar configuration, but when I enabled it, the corresponding button didn't appear in the actual Toolbar. It does have it's new green texture on it's own built-in/default button, but the Toolbar doesn't show it when enabled.

I have 0.9.20 all nicely reconfigured in my main game, so I made another install (I think I'm up to almost a dozen KSP installs now heh) and installed 0.9.21 there, and the problems persist.

Oh, as a clarification, it DOES show dv values in the VAB, just not during flight (they show up at zero for both "Tot" and "Stg"). The other indicators all seem to work. The configuration buttons all mostly work, just not the 'Skin:' part. (the 'enable Toolbar support' button does actually make it show up as an option in Toolbar's configuration, but still the button doesn't appear on the Toolbar itself when enabled)

Here's my output_log all zipped up (amd64 windows):

http://alpha.renegrade.net/images/VOID-output_log.zip

In the above log, I create a vessel named 'X-VOID' (eXperimental VOID test ship), launch it, and land it Kerbal style (known as "crashing" on Earth :wink:).

The full list of mods is: BTSM 1.5 (which does something akin to Faram's KIDS system, but that didn't seem to impact 0.9.20's delta-v display at all), DR 4.5, Goodspeed fuel pump (ironically not pumping fuel~), NavyFish's docking port alignment utility 3.0, PreciseNode (err.. 0.9-ish I think?), Kerbal Alarm Clock 2.7.0.0, RCS Build Aid 2.4.5, and of course VOID.

By the way, while I have your attention, I just want to say that when VOID works, it's superb. It gets a lot of pertinent information to the player without cluttering up the display. Very nice, and thank you :)

The button for VOID appeared in the toolbar configuration, but when I enabled it, the corresponding button didn't appear in the actual Toolbar. It does have it's new green texture on it's own built-in/default button, but the Toolbar doesn't show it when enabled.

I have 0.9.20 all nicely reconfigured in my main game, so I made another install (I think I'm up to almost a dozen KSP installs now heh) and installed 0.9.21 there, and the problems persist.

Oh, as a clarification, it DOES show dv values in the VAB, just not during flight (they show up at zero for both "Tot" and "Stg"). The other indicators all seem to work. The configuration buttons all mostly work, just not the 'Skin:' part. (the 'enable Toolbar support' button does actually make it show up as an option in Toolbar's configuration, but still the button doesn't appear on the Toolbar itself when enabled)

Here's my output_log all zipped up (amd64 windows):

http://alpha.renegrade.net/images/VOID-output_log.zip

In the above log, I create a vessel named 'X-VOID' (eXperimental VOID test ship), launch it, and land it Kerbal style (known as "crashing" on Earth :wink:).

The full list of mods is: BTSM 1.5 (which does something akin to Faram's KIDS system, but that didn't seem to impact 0.9.20's delta-v display at all), DR 4.5, Goodspeed fuel pump (ironically not pumping fuel~), NavyFish's docking port alignment utility 3.0, PreciseNode (err.. 0.9-ish I think?), Kerbal Alarm Clock 2.7.0.0, RCS Build Aid 2.4.5, and of course VOID.

By the way, while I have your attention, I just want to say that when VOID works, it's superb. It gets a lot of pertinent information to the player without cluttering up the display. Very nice, and thank you :)

In case your browser doesn't like telling you, I've dropped you a PM with a testing version to see if I've made any progress on the issue. Thanks!

VOID has been updated to version 0.9.22! This version fixes bugs with skin selection and HUD engineer data. Many thanks to Renegrade for the reporting and testing!

CHANGELOG:

v.0.9.22 [2014-03-27]
* VOID_HUD: Fixed erroneous dependence upon the Vessel Info pane for delta-V updates.
* VOID_Core: Fixed a bug where only the default skin would be used, regardless of selection.
* Other minor improvements.

VOID has been updated to version 0.9.22! This version fixes bugs with skin selection and HUD engineer data. Many thanks to Renegrade for the reporting and testing!

No problemo! Thanks for the update -- I absolutely love VOID's HUDs and concise status windows!

I found a bug after the ARM update. Could you please check it?

EDIT: IMG tag didn't work: http://imgur.com/b3lnKJt

The bug you're referring to here is the insanely-long gravity datum? It does seem like yoctometers is an odd choice there. ;) Did you try clicking and right-clicking the value to change the display precision? Yocto- is too small for that value, but it'd be easier for me to track this down if I know what all it didn't do.

Err, VOID's still 0.23 - some bugs are to be expected with 0.23.5..

We're lucky KSP mods are somewhat compatible across versions...Some other games aren't so lucky (I'm looking at you, Minecraft!).

Based on my testing last night, I haven't noticed any 0.23.5 incompatibilities, except when other mods break. I'm thinking singlet's report is actually unrelated to the version bump.

Keep up the reports, folks!

The bug you're referring to here is the insanely-long gravity datum? It does seem like yoctometers is an odd choice there. ;) Did you try clicking and right-clicking the value to change the display precision? Yocto- is too small for that value, but it'd be easier for me to track this down if I know what all it didn't do.

Ah, now I recognize that the 'y' is for yocto. That is indeed small.

As for the click: nope, I didn't click. The number format remained the same when I opened the same window again after switching to another vessel and back. Actually, when I tried clicking on the value, the unit toggled between 'mm/s2' and 'ym/s2'. (looks even more strange to me)

Based on my testing last night, I haven't noticed any 0.23.5 incompatibilities, except when other mods break. I'm thinking singlet's report is actually unrelated to the version bump.

Seems to work okay here as well so far :)

Sorry for this double post here, but it takes too long for my post to appear on the thread…

I tried restarting KSP; the format seemed to be OK (293.427 'mm/s2') at first, but when I clicked the value, the unit went to 'ym/s2' again.

Some more investigation showed me that the symptom appears only when the gravity is too low to be displayed in 'm/s2' unit; that is, the format toggles between 'm/s2' and 'mm/s2' if the gravity is 1.7m/s2, and toggles between 'mm/s2' and 'ym/s2' if it is 28mm/s2.

I hope this be some help finding the bug.

Another report on a different issue: an incompatibility with the ARM update.

VOID does not know the new rocket parts. I think it is the same incompatibility issue found in KER, and the problem was already fixed an experimenta version of KER.

I hopefully/maybe have a fix for the units display when the magnitude is less than zero, but I haven't tested it yet.

Also, all of the engineering code in VOID is shared from Kerbal Engineer Redux, which is not working in 0.23.5. So, I have updated those libraries to the experimental version under development by Padishar (thanks Padishar!), and it seems to be working OK for me. But, before I release this in the mod, I'd appreciate it if a few of you could download this test version, unpack the .dll's into GameData/VOID/Plugins, and give it a go. The VOID dll is a debug compile, so it will make a bunch of noise in the top-right corner, but it'll also make logs way more useful to me if you run into any problems.

Try it out and let me know how it works. Thanks in advance!