[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

47 minutes ago, Delcraft said:

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, you're right, the default value for machConvectionFactor is exactly 1.72, but I'm talking about the value found in debug menu - Physics - Thermal (though I don't know whether these two are the same or not). You can see my menu data on the screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/ftZwu

And if they are the same coefficients and my installation is indeed corrupt, where should I place this config file and how should I name it?

Yes. The Convection Factor that you see in the thermal physics menu is the same as machConvectionFactor in the PhysicsGlobals.

Put that code that I showed you in a file ending in .cfg anywhere in your GameData folder.

Edit: Taking a closer look at your physics menu and conduction factor is also wrong if you have RO installed. So something has gone wrong and that patch I gave you only fixes one value. You need to find out what's wrong with your RO installation. 

Why don't you post your log file and let me take a look at it. Also post your ModuleManager.ConfigCache file which can be found in the GameData folder. Put both of them where I can download them (Dropbox preferably. If you don't have a Dropbox account you should get one)

If you're not sure where your log files are:

Edited by Starwaster

On March 4, 2017 at 8:17 PM, Crazy-Engineer said:

Does the 1.1-Dev build work on 1.2.2 cause the GUI is not showing up on either blizzy's toolbar or stock

This is what you should use with KSP 1.2.2: https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.5.0

The menu works with the stock toolbar system. There has never been support for Blizzy's toolbar

Edited by Starwaster

7 minutes ago, Crazy-Engineer said:

Nope still not working tried both using Ckan and a manual install
-1.2.1.1604 (x64)
-ModuleManager.2.7.5
EDIT: tried Alt+D+R the debug menu didnt show up

You said KSP 1.2.2. That's what the prerelease version I linked to is for. If you're seeing 1.2.1.1604 anywhere in your game or log files then you don't have KSP 1.2.2

The DRE menu doesn't use keybinds anymore. If you're seeing references to Alt+D+R then that's something I'll need to remove.

36 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

You said KSP 1.2.2. That's what the prerelease version I linked to is for. If you're seeing 1.2.1.1604 anywhere in your game or log files then you don't have KSP 1.2.2

The DRE menu doesn't use keybinds anymore. If you're seeing references to Alt+D+R then that's something I'll need to remove.

well for some reason ckan shows 1.2.2 but ksp log shows 1.2.1.1604
your DRE readme has ALT+D+R

so does this mean DRE doesnt work with 1.2.1?

Edited by Crazy-Engineer

26 minutes ago, Crazy-Engineer said:

well for some reason ckan shows 1.2.2 but ksp log shows 1.2.1.1604
your DRE readme has ALT+D+R

so does this mean DRE doesnt work with 1.2.1?

Go by what the KSP log says over what CKAN says.

I'll fix the readme

The current build hasn't been tested with 1.2.1 but it looks like it is the case that it is not compatible.

1 minute ago, Starwaster said:

I'll fix the readme

The current build hasn't been tested with 1.2.1 but it looks like it is the case that it is not compatible.

thanks for replying so fast, I'll try after properly updating to 1.2.2 and see if it works

10 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Edit: Taking a closer look at your physics menu and conduction factor is also wrong if you have RO installed. So something has gone wrong and that patch I gave you only fixes one value. You need to find out what's wrong with your RO installation. 

I found that the default values were in ModuleManager.Physics and ModuleManager.ConfigCache. I deleted these files and relaunched KSP with the last version of MM (2.7.5), and now the problem has gone. Thank you for your help!

On 3/4/2017 at 10:07 PM, Starwaster said:

I'll fix the readme

You'll have to forgive me if you've (most likely) addressed this already but, will we be seeing a 1.2.2 compatible version for this?

Cheers! Thanks for the awesome work!

On 3/5/2017 at 2:57 AM, Starwaster said:

This is what you should use with KSP 1.2.2: https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.4.7.1

The menu works with the stock toolbar system. There has never been support for Blizzy's toolbar

@Calvin_Maclure this is a post from @Starwaster on Sunday. 

I'm sure he's working on a final version for 1.2.2 as there will be a RO update soon.

On 5.3.2017 at 3:33 AM, Starwaster said:

Hello.

That download page shows, that this post is from July of 2016. What does that mean? MM is in the outdated version in V2.6.25 ...

@New Horizons I just downloaded the version myself but used it with the latest MM. Now I don't have the time for a thorough test, but the DRE heatshields are showing up in the vab. I did a quick rescue mission with a craft that uses the stock heatshield (1.25 m) but the heatshield didn't use any ablator. The solar panels on the craft on the other hand did overheat.. I should have some more time tomorrow, maybe I can find out what is causing it.

Apart from my experience, you could try it with a fresh install of the latest MM and the DRE version.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, dlrk said:

Just wondering, why isn't this labelled as an "official 1.2.2" release?

Because there are changes I wanted to complete before an official release. They haven't been completed so there hasn't been an official release. (though I did take the last release out of pre-release status so it will show up on CKAN.

1 hour ago, dlrk said:

Fair enough. I didn't know there were more changes in progress

The main one being that I want to change how DRE implemented damage works. i.e. fire damage. Currently, the skin itself gets damaged from being on fire and if damage reaches 100% then the part gets destroyed outright. What I want to happen instead is that the more damaged the hull is, the more heat is let through into the interior. Thermal radiation flux and convective flux would be admitted directly into the interior. (because it now has a big freakin' hole in the hull)

The easiest way to do that is that if there's a hole in it then there's a hole in it... in every direction. A little more work is involved in doing it the way it should be done, which is directional. So... it's the front part that has a hole in it. Or the aft part. Or portside.... I actually have a rudimentary form of that already but there is no visual representation of that so the player will have no way of knowing that there is a hole in their ship.

9 hours ago, Starwaster said:

I actually have a rudimentary form of that already but there is no visual representation of that so the player will have no way of knowing that there is a hole in their ship.

Maybe you can borrow idea from this mod:

I think that MIT licence allow you to use it.

Tryed to install this mod again (already used it with pleasure on 1.1.3) but I get failures on parts then. When I enter the VAB only a few filter sections work to be displayed and when I select a non working one I get a exception, the parts of the selected filter are not displayed and the previouse section stays there. Also any switch afterwords is not working any more. Search for a part also... could this be a problem with interaction of another mod?

4 hours ago, itsaps said:

Tryed to install this mod again (already used it with pleasure on 1.1.3) but I get failures on parts then. When I enter the VAB only a few filter sections work to be displayed and when I select a non working one I get a exception, the parts of the selected filter are not displayed and the previouse section stays there. Also any switch afterwords is not working any more. Search for a part also... could this be a problem with interaction of another mod?

Just out of curiosity, are you using Procedural Parts? I was experiencing a similar problem, and I updated PP to 1.2.9, which fixed it for me. Here's the link: https://github.com/Starwaster/ProceduralParts/releases

Plus, for future reference, be sure to post the output_log.txt from your KSP_x64_Data folder. And when you do post it, don't paste it directly into the message box; rather, upload it to dropbox and share the link here so we can download it and examine it.

Oh, and are you sure that you downloaded and installed Deadly Reentry 7.5.0?

Edited by fallout2077
Additional question

15 hours ago, fallout2077 said:

Just out of curiosity, are you using Procedural Parts? I was experiencing a similar problem, and I updated PP to 1.2.9, which fixed it for me. Here's the link: https://github.com/Starwaster/ProceduralParts/releases

Plus, for future reference, be sure to post the output_log.txt from your KSP_x64_Data folder. And when you do post it, don't paste it directly into the message box; rather, upload it to dropbox and share the link here so we can download it and examine it.

Oh, and are you sure that you downloaded and installed Deadly Reentry 7.5.0?

Thanks for the response!

I double checked on the PP Version and I had downloaded the same version you specify, strangly in the version file it says 1.2.8 but ok this should be the same you have.
Yes I installed DR 7.5.0 (via CKAN) but I'll try again now also manually and post the logfile then.

EDIT: With the manual install it seems to be working now, I get no errors any more and all goes well what I can see. The failure was reproduceable yesterday but either a pc restart or the different installation solved it....
I tried again also with CKAN it was ok now. No idea why it was so weird yesterday, maybe something with module manager cache. Nevermind, fresh restart solved it - alright.

Edited by itsaps
retry with ckan

2 hours ago, itsaps said:

Thanks for the response!

I double checked on the PP Version and I had downloaded the same version you specify, strangly in the version file it says 1.2.8 but ok this should be the same you have.
Yes I installed DR 7.5.0 (via CKAN) but I'll try again now also manually and post the logfile then.

EDIT: With the manual install it seems to be working now, I get no errors any more and all goes well what I can see. The failure was reproduceable yesterday but either a pc restart or the different installation solved it....
I tried again also with CKAN it was ok now. No idea why it was so weird yesterday, maybe something with module manager cache. Nevermind, fresh restart solved it - alright.

Glad to know your problem has been fixed! I don't use CKAN, as I have found it too be very unreliable in contract to manual installing mods; for that same reason many mod authors have dropped CKAN support. So, if I may offer a suggestion, in the future manually install everything, even if it is a mod overhaul like Realism Overhaul.

I noticed that Parts Heat Resistance are somewhat strange. I had a lander that consisted of the 2-Person Stock Capsule, the Stock Heatshield of Same Diameter with 560 Units of Ablator material, two AIRBRAKES and a few minor parts that shouldnt effect weight or drag significantly.

My reentry orbit was AP about 150.000 and PE about 45.000. Heat shield did not have enough Ablator and the Vessel burnt up.

In a second attempt, i tried to use the last stage (one tank and one engine) as an initial heat shield and found that, while the engines blew up, the empty tank was swallowing all the heat. In the end i could savely land without even using my heatshield (still had all 560 units left). Looks like tank might be very effective heatshields.

I do not have any other mods that should affect aerodynamics and was landing on stock Kerbin. In both cases AIRBRAKES were deployed  (and burnt upp quickly) and i did not do any more burns. Reentry Heating was at 100%.