[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

22 hours ago, Bornholio said:

I'm seeing it in my 1.2.2 version. 

Log looks like it is loading it.  [LOG 19:23:40.454] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'DRToolbar' from assembly 'DeadlyReentry'  should be toolbar loading. [LOG 19:23:40.210] [DeadlyReentry.DRToolBar] OnDestroy() called - destroying button  and unloading it correctly.

You may want to delete the DRE folder and reinstall from Github.  https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.6.0  Make sure you don't what I did and have DRE configs in the wrong places. /smirk

Oh are you installing v7.6.0 then adding the v7.6.0 KSP1.3.0 .dll to it?

I'm seeing this in 1.2.2 as well as to part pallets on the left keep getting frozen up until I sort them by name.  Not 100% sure this is bing caused by 7.6.  been shuffling mods in a out all afternoon.  Just about to try 7.5 to see if it fixes it.

1 hour ago, Eugene Moreau said:

I'm seeing this in 1.2.2 as well as to part pallets on the left keep getting frozen up until I sort them by name.  Not 100% sure this is bing caused by 7.6.  been shuffling mods in a out all afternoon.  Just about to try 7.5 to see if it fixes it.

better yet, do a clean stock install with just DRE 7.6.0 and then tell me there's a problem with it.

4 hours ago, Starwaster said:

better yet, do a clean stock install with just DRE 7.6.0 and then tell me there's a problem with it.

I guess I should have done this from the beginning.  Sorry for not being a good trouble shooter.  Clean install of 1.2.2 with just DRE 7.6 worked fine, as far as the parts pallets go in the VAB.  Guess I'll starting adding Mods and see where it falls apart.

1 hour ago, dlrk said:

Kind of an odd issue with the 1.3 build. KSP-AVC reports it as being incompatible with the KSP version, which it reports as "0.1.3"

Once more: The DRE build that I provided for KSP 1.3.0 is as is and unsupported. I provided that build as a courtesy to players who chose to upgrade to 1.3.0. I can say that the dll performs its core functions in 1.3.0 but until I get to work on the official update for 1.3.0 I won't be able to support it or address bugs in it.

I will say it is expected that AVC would complain because all it can really do is look at the version numbers in the .version file present in the DeadlyReentry folder which identifies what versions of KSP are supported by me. And since that doesn't yet include KSP 1.3.0 then you're going to get a warning about it. (that's all you can really glean from those AVC messages anyway)

On 5/17/2017 at 10:34 PM, Starwaster said:

I'm starting to get an idea of how this might be happening...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Didn't completely fix it though. My Kerbals are no longer dying on EVA on the ground, but they ARE on fire (with a hot temperature bar) when they EVA (flames shooting in one direction).

Now if I quicksave and reload the saved game, they are no longer have flames shooting out from them, but the hot temperature bar is still there.

Edited by Starfire70

2 hours ago, Starfire70 said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Didn't completely fix it though. My Kerbals are no longer dying on EVA on the ground, but they ARE on fire (with a hot temperature bar) when they EVA (flames shooting in one direction).

Now if I quicksave and reload the saved game, they are no longer have flames shooting out from them, but the hot temperature bar is still there.

Do they scream?

9 minutes ago, Starfire70 said:

I don't recall any noise, screams or otherwise, when my Kerbals went EVA.

Then you need to reinstall DRE because you either don't have the latest version or don't have it installed properly.

There's no way your Kerbals will be on fire and you don't hear them screaming.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an odd problem which I don't really understand. I run a heavily modded version of KSP and just tried switching everything to KSP 1.2.2 (since Ferram finally updated). When I started a new game and exited the MK1 and the pressed space to leave the ladder my Kerbal exploded for some reason. When I hit F3 it told me that it overheated.

Also when I just climb down (or up) the ladder my kerbals will overheat the moment they leave the ladder.

After some testing I uninstalled, reinstalled KSP 1.2.2 again with steam only, installed Deadly Reentry 7.5.0 (with KSP mod admin) tested again - same problem. When I deactivated deadly reentry my Kerbals lived through leaving the ladder.

Seemingly it is some problem with Deadly Reentry. But since this seems such an obvious problem and no one else is complaining, I wonder if I am doing anything wrong. Anyone has an idea what I do wrong?

25 minutes ago, Kiesch said:

I have an odd problem which I don't really understand. I run a heavily modded version of KSP and just tried switching everything to KSP 1.2.2 (since Ferram finally updated). When I started a new game and exited the MK1 and the pressed space to leave the ladder my Kerbal exploded for some reason. When I hit F3 it told me that it overheated.

Also when I just climb down (or up) the ladder my kerbals will overheat the moment they leave the ladder.

After some testing I uninstalled, reinstalled KSP 1.2.2 again with steam only, installed Deadly Reentry 7.5.0 (with KSP mod admin) tested again - same problem. When I deactivated deadly reentry my Kerbals lived through leaving the ladder.

Seemingly it is some problem with Deadly Reentry. But since this seems such an obvious problem and no one else is complaining, I wonder if I am doing anything wrong. Anyone has an idea what I do wrong?

It HAS come up before and and you need DRE 7.6.0

4 hours ago, Kiesch said:

I thought 7.6.0 was just for KSP 1.3 and wouldn't work with 1.2.2 ? Anyway - I'll test this - thanks a lot :-)

[1.2.2] Deadly Reentry v7.6.0, June 9, 2017 (The Ariel Edition pre-release)

It's even in the title....

See that tag in brackets? That's universally accepted to mean that the 'supports that version of KSP' followed by the version of DRE doing the supporting.

That's what that means.

The unofficial unsupported build for KSP 1.3.0 has been moved to its own release and marked pre-release to prevent CKAN indexing. (the existence of two downloads is confusing CKAN since it apparently only looks at one of the download links and it's not the one I wanted it to see)

The new location is:

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/download/v7.6.0-KSP-1.3.0-beta/DeadlyReentry_7.6.0_for_KSP_1.3.0.zip

Just to remind you, that is not a normal DRE release and it requires you to have the official 7.6.0 release for KSP 1.2.2 installed FIRST. Then you download the file linked to above. Then you unzip or otherwise open that zip file. You will find a single file, DeadlyReentry.dll. You will copy that over the file contained within GameData/DeadlyReentry/Plugins

A further reminder: This is only being provided as a courtesy to  players who wanted to play KSP 1.3.0 but still want to have DRE. This release is unsupported in every way that it is possible for me to not support it. There will be no support for KSP 1.3.0 until I release an actual official release for KSP 1.3.0 and I won't even be able to do anything with bug reports for this build because such reports will become outdated as soon as I start development for the next version.

Hello @Starwaster !

I wonder, if it possible to use DR only for G overload death?

Also, how your G force overload system works with stock?

Does it account for stock G tolerance stats of Kerbals?

What stock settings will you recommend in advanced difficulty (to make sensible G overload progression -> pass out -> death.

Thank you in advance

1 hour ago, evileye.x said:

Hello @Starwaster !

I wonder, if it possible to use DR only for G overload death?

Also, how your G force overload system works with stock?

Does it account for stock G tolerance stats of Kerbals?

What stock settings will you recommend in advanced difficulty (to make sensible G overload progression -> pass out -> death.

Thank you in advance

Taking your first question as literally as possible: You would have to install the plugin without any of the configuration files. Mostly those balance max temps of various parts. You would also have to add ModuleAeroReentry to every single part with the following parameters: leaveTemp = true, maxOperationalTemp = (that part's maxTemp), skinMaxOperationalTemp = (that part's skinMaxTemp). That would prevent the plugin from adjusting any max temps and prevent parts from being damaged when they overheat. They would instead just explode as in stock.

DRE's g force damage system damages parts over time if they are over their gforce tolerance threshold, which is semi-random based on the part's crashTolerance. Stock's is a static threshold of 40. (actually it's configurable on a per part basis but to my knowledge, nothing changes it from the default of 40). If something is over its stock threshold then there is a random chance of destruction each frame. (in the future, DRE's will be dynamically adjusted such that very small parts have greater survivability and more massive parts lowered survivability). DRE's system can't be turned off but if you go into the DRE menu you can change gToleranceMult to something outrageously high which would change each part's gforce tolerance to something really high.

DRE has its own system for Kerbal gforce tolerance and is too complex to address here. (it tracks Kerbal gforce accumulation over time if over a particular threshold and if the accumulated forces exceed another threshold then Kerbals can die randomly). My experience has been that the current settings will result in stock LOC before death. If they recover consciousness then death is not typically going to be a concern. Making changes to DRE's gforce death levels is something I use a spreadsheet if I'm going to make significant changes. I did that exactly once for Realism Overhaul to ensure that experienced gforces would be survivable at levels a human being could survive at levels that human beings could survive at IRL. IRL, humans can survive much higher levels than DRE's settings for stock because we're going for a gamier experience than RO players would expect) (TL;DR, I feel that the current stock DRE settings already sensibly lead to LOC followed by death, but if adjustments are required, a spreadsheet would be needed to make reasonable changes)

@Starwaster , thank you for your very detailed response!

Minor question left though: If I'll go for full DRE, what should I tweak for KScale64 ?

It has DRE patch in it, but I'm not sure if it is obsolete or something?

Also, I have tons of parts mods, I guess DRE will not be nice to parts that don't have DRE config? Or those part will be super heat tolerant?

48 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

@Starwaster , thank you for your very detailed response!

• Minor question left though: If I'll go for full DRE, what should I tweak for KScale64 ?
  • It has DRE patch in it, but I'm not sure if it is obsolete or something?

I don't use that mod and don't know what it patches so I can't say if it's sufficient or not. Of greater importance is how it adjusts stock convection heating  because that's not something DRE touches anymore.

Also, I have tons of parts mods, I guess DRE will not be nice to parts that don't have DRE config? Or those part will be super heat tolerant?

There is a maximum temperature rating (ridiculousMaxTemp = 1523.15) that every part has its maxTemp adjusted to unless the part is set up to override that limit. And by default, parts take damage if their temperature reaches 85% of that value. (95% for engines). 1523.15 is a legacy value which looks like it was based on the melting point of steel but it's hard to say for sure. It's actually a very generous value IMO as aluminum is going to be more common as a construction material. (the shuttle's aluminum airframe could not be allowed to meet or exceed about ~450 Kelvin as it would begin to fail. That's why DRE adjusts space planes internal temperature limit to 453.15)

@Starwaster So why the tank that is behind the parachute is not getting any heat? I mean, every other part on that ship is fine except for the Parachute even that Solar Panel is completely fine.

This is all major parts with their temperatures:

tEmUZew.png 

1 hour ago, makuclib said:

@Starwaster So why the tank that is behind the parachute is not getting any heat? I mean, every other part on that ship is fine except for the Parachute even that Solar Panel is completely fine.

This is all major parts with their temperatures:

Probably because some of them are shielding each other. A part doesn't have to BE shielded to provide shielding.

It's not really very realistic but that's the price to be paid for this level of abstraction. Realistically, everything there is going to get a lot of heating.Not as much as the heat shield itself but still significant enough that IRL even parts behind the shield would need some protection themselves. Just not as much.

And btw, DRE doesn't control that, just so you know: That's stock.

<Disclaimer> If that question was already been beaten a hundred times, please just point me in the right direction </Disclaimer>

I have DRE 7.6.0 on KSP 1.2.2 with RSS/RO/RP-0/FAR stack. My problem is that everything built around Mk1 and Mk2 spaceplane parts, cannot survive Earth reentry, regardless of perigee (+60, +30, -200kkm doesn't matter); it overheats and burns up. Should I adjust the stock thermal settings? What am I doing wrong? Or maybe it is explained somewhere and I just missed it?

Edited by AlekM

@AlekM

question: is it a career game? If so then those parts might just be incapable of surviving Reentry. If it's NOT career or the parts list a skin max temp of something in the 2000s in the editor or list a max operational skin temp that high then you might be too steep. You want a perigee of 60-100 about halfway around the planet from your landing point.