Help, Can't recover Jeb or Vessel, or go to space centre

For some reason I can't recover my lander, which has splashed down, no parts broken, or go to the Space center. I tried to EVA but I can't go to space centre even then.... I don't want to close my game because I'm afraid of losing progress, Help please!

For some reason I can't recover my lander, which has splashed down, no parts broken, or go to the Space center. I tried to EVA but I can't go to space centre even then.... I don't want to close my game because I'm afraid of losing progress, Help please!

Erm...upload your image to an image hosting site, we can't see your computer files. :)

What happens when you click "Space Center"?

Absolutely nothing happens when I click it. It shows that I clicked it, but then does nothing, and when I click it fast, the "No target" message is displayed in yellow as it would when you double click nothing in space.

Absolutely nothing happens when I click it. It shows that I clicked it, but then does nothing, and when I click it fast, the "No target" message is displayed in yellow as it would when you double click nothing in space.

Hm.... try quicksaving (F5) and quickloading (F9)? Also, be sure to read the stickied threads in this section. :)

I tried to quicksave, but I can't. I opened the debug menu and then tried ot quick save, and got the message: "Null reference Exception: Object Reference not set to an instance instead of an object" What does this mean?

It means something's gone haywire and some important data has done something it shouldn't, and cannot be saved/loaded correctly. Some plugins are notorious for causing this, but it can occasionally happen on stock games.

• 1 month later...

We need your logs to determine anything, please see the Need Support thread :)

Most likely though you have installed Romfarer's Lazor or camera addon, and your physics distance is not standard, this will cause the symptoms you described.

Use the Lazor controls to reset the physics distance to 2.5km

• 7 months later...

I get this issue but I don't have any Romfarer mods, trying the game without active texture management now but my mod list is:

b9 Aerospace

Catepillar Tracks

Crew manifest

Hyperedit

KAS

Kethane

KSP Interstellar

KW Rocketry

LLL

MechJeb2

Scansat

SXT

Vanguard Parachute

Vanguard Plugin

I might have a couple more, do any of those send out a red light?

I had an odd one recently where my rover crashed and bill fell out and became "Gumdrop 2 rover debris"

turned out his vessel type had been set to `debris` automatically even though inside that he was still a part that was a kerbal. I set the vessel type to EVA and it was OK. He was still called "Gumdrop 2 rover debris" instead of bill but that was OK.

I get this issue but I don't have any Romfarer mods...

I might have a couple more, do any of those send out a red light?

This thread is pretty old and is about a different version of KSP. I would recommend starting a new one. Also, I assume your particular problem is going back to the space center?

In either case, we need some more info before suggesting a fix. If you could clarify what you were doing before hand. Also, well lit pictures of any vessels in questions and possibly the log files. Or you can pull up the debug log (ALT+F12, click debug, then scroll to the bottom) and look for errors.

This thread will give you a good idea of what we are looking for.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24543-NEED-SUPPORT-Read-this-before-posting-No-modded-installs

I am having this exact same issue. I run a crap ton of mods but the ones we have in common are

B9 aerospace

KAS

Kethane

KSP Interstella

KW Rocketry

MechJeb2

Scansat

This problem is getting really annoying everything seems to be working fine and then the buttons just stop working. I don't notice it until I have to click on recover vessel then nothing happens and im usually on the ground by then. I try to EVA to see if it will work outside but as soon as I do that Jeb comes out and I cant move him or let go of the ladder or anything. So I try to recover vessel or go to space center or even revert launch and nothing happens, if I rageclick the buttons they say "No target". Really weird hope someone can come up with a quick fix.

Supaflies,

As I noted above, it is helpful if you can provide a bit more information as detailed in this thread.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24543-NEED-SUPPORT-Read-this-before-posting-No-modded-installs

There are a few things that can cause this problem (even beyond blaming mods). It's hard to say what the problem might be without some more details.

Welcome to the forums,

~Claw

I was having very similar issues (nothing could be done to leave the current flight scene - return to Space Center, Revert Flight, quicksaving/quickloading, vessel recovery, etc.; all would throw NullReferenceExceptions). Per this post in another thread about these sorts of issues, I went ahead and dropped the "Max Debris Count" setting (in the Settings menu as accessible from the Main Menu) all the way to zero. Helped immensely; situations that were previously causing scene-transition fussiness (recent example: plopping a small probe into Minmus' orbit with HyperEdit) now work properly and allow for quicksaving, returning to Space Center, etc.

So basically, if you're having trouble with this, it's worth a shot to drop that Max Debris Count setting to zero and see if the problem persists. Kudos to spicerSpacer for that tip.

EDIT 2021-01-12: It's pretty surreal when you Google/DuckDuckGo/whatever for a problem you're having and stumble on your own comment, lol  Ran into this issue again with a heavily-modded 1.11, and if it happens again I guess I know what I'm trying next ;)

Edited by YellowApple
Greetings from the future :)

• 1 month later...

Ran into this bug several times, mostly upon docking a payload after decoupling its lifter. Googling "ksp cannot go to space center" brought me here. After digging through the Unity log, I discovered the problem was KSP trying to calculate the COM of a vessel without any parts, which happened to be floating in the vicinity of my dock. I would surmise, based upon its trajectory, that it came from the decoupling gone wrong. Opening quicksave.sfs, finding the zero-part vessel(s), deleting them, and then reverting to the quicksave consistently fixed the problem for meâ€â€without a restart.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
[..] I discovered the problem was KSP trying to calculate the COM of a vessel without any parts, which happened to be floating in the vicinity of my dock. I would surmise, based upon its trajectory, that it came from the decoupling gone wrong. Opening quicksave.sfs, finding the zero-part vessel(s), deleting them, and then reverting to the quicksave consistently fixed the problem for meâ€â€without a restart.

While I cannot say that this fixes the problem for me "consistently", I've found as well, through looking at my quicksave/persistent.sfs files, that whenever I experience this issue, there's is always seem to be at least ONE vessel/debris that shouldn't exist. I don't see it in Mission Control, it's not on the map, I cannot select it in any way as it is not shown in-game, but it's in the save file (most times marked as a "debris"). Deleting the {VESSEL} section for it and reloading the save file seems to fix the problem, but it shows up again seemingly randomly.

It seems that for whatever reason the game creates some ghosts, and when trying to calculate their properties as if they were still active crafts, throws out NullRefExceptions like it's Christmas :P

Hardly a solution, but just thought I'd chime in, since Tonnet's comment was the first one, for me, that gave some clear hint as to how to fix this gamebreaking bug.

I started with this game a couple of days ago. Ran into the same problem.

Tried to close the game, restart and when I checked my missions in the contract section (missioncontrol), I cannot even go out of the mission control with the Exit button on top right. Looks like the game is totally stalled, I need to delete it and start from scratch (ARGH). Hope there will be better versions in the future (even the demo version works better :(

• 2 years later...
50 minutes ago, James M said:

Hello, I play on console and I am currently also having this issue. We play on 1.1 stock version. My instance has happened multiple times on the same game file (Luckily all have been just probes).

This thread was started in 2013 for a modded PC game, whatever problems you're having on console would not have the same cause. You should start a new thread in the console support section.

20 hours ago, Jas0n said:

This thread was started in 2013 for a modded PC game, whatever problems you're having on console would not have the same cause. You should start a new thread in the console support section.

Even if I did, nothing would change. We've been waiting for update 1.2 for about a year now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.