[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

8 minutes ago, Olympic1 said:

This mod represents our own solar system and I don't remember that Jupiter looked green and that oblate.

That feature is better for an other Kopernicus mod.

Its just for testing, once my jupiter test is complete ill try on a rocky planet.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:15 AM, Galacticvoyager said:

Hello guys! Can you help me make Jupiter more oblate? Like EXTREMELY oblate, like http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/aliens/images/9/98/Mesklin.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100605213818, yea like that.

The properies Kopernicus uses to generate each planet are stored in files within your RSS folder. The file in particular that controls Jupiter's oblateness is here. Experiment by making medium sized changes to different parameters to figure out what they do. Enjoy :)

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/blob/master/GameData/RealSolarSystem/RSSKopernicus/Jupiter/Jupiter_Oblate.cfg

5 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

The properies Kopernicus uses to generate each planet are stored in files within your RSS folder. The file in particular that controls Jupiter's oblateness is here. Experiment by making medium sized changes to different parameters to figure out what they do. Enjoy :)

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/blob/master/GameData/RealSolarSystem/RSSKopernicus/Jupiter/Jupiter_Oblate.cfg

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Wait, the config you gave me is the same that I am altering in the config files...

I think he was just showing you which file it was, not making the changes for you. That's for you to do :wink: 

1 minute ago, Starwaster said:

I think he was just showing you which file it was, not making the changes for you. That's for you to do :wink: 

I knew which file it was :P I just wont work as I dont which values to edit to get a change...

16 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

I just wont work as I dont which values to edit to get a change...

Since the "radius" value controls the "offset" of the VertexHeightOffset and VertexHeightOblate mods then start by altering the radius multiplier.

12 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

Since the "radius" value controls the "offset" of the VertexHeightOffset and VertexHeightOblate mods then start by altering the radius multiplier.

ahhh thx!

20 minutes ago, Albman said:

Hello real solar people, I have this problem, the runway is broken in 4 places, I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks for your time!

It's a stock issue. Will be fixed in 1.3

Just browsing through the science descriptions for fun and on the surface of Mars the gravity scan says:

Spoiler

"Your mother would only weigh 250 pounds here." That's over 600 pounds on earth. :confused:

I assume that's a typo? It sounds a bit harsh..

10 hours ago, Krankenhausen said:

Just browsing through the science descriptions for fun and on the surface of Mars the gravity scan says:

Hide contents

"Your mother would only weigh 250 pounds here." That's over 600 pounds on earth. :confused:

I assume that's a typo? It sounds a bit harsh..

I dunno... it might be a typo, but if so, what IS the typo? A 0 that doesn't belong? (that would make dear mom an anorexic 60 pounds...)

I hate to say but it might be based on those tasteless 'your momma' jokes... 

6 hours ago, Starwaster said:

I dunno... it might be a typo, but if so, what IS the typo? A 0 that doesn't belong? (that would make dear mom an anorexic 60 pounds...)

I hate to say but it might be based on those tasteless 'your momma' jokes... 

You're right, a typo doesn't really fit. But it also doesn't fit with the rest of the descriptions.

Oh well, it's not really game-breaking or anything.

Hey, i had scatterer working with RSS for a few months now but i woke up one morning and its suddenly stopped working. no idea whats happened, haven't moved around any files or anything. If it helps, for the months i had Scatterer working with RSS, Earth was still called kerbin. Now all of a sudden over night its now changed to earth and that's the same time scatterer stopped working. These two mods are my favorite so any help would be great :D thank you

10 minutes ago, A sad frog said:

Hey, i had scatterer working with RSS for a few months now but i woke up one morning and its suddenly stopped working. no idea whats happened, haven't moved around any files or anything. If it helps, for the months i had Scatterer working with RSS, Earth was still called kerbin. Now all of a sudden over night its now changed to earth and that's the same time scatterer stopped working. These two mods are my favorite so any help would be great :D thank you

RSS does not have any scatterer cfgs that come bundled with it. You will need to go to whatever visual mod you used and ask there. 

Hi all!

Just got into this mod last night, and it's a lot of fun!  

Question - Are kerbals and their craft scaled 1:1 to what we would expect them to be compared to humans, against the scale of the planets here? 

I only ask because, from 26k on ascent, KSC looks like I'm maybe only half that altitude.  It looks massive, as if Florida was half as wide as it is....

I could be also off on my reference to scaling, and KSC may actually represent a footprint that large, but it also seemed like I reached 150k way to quickly (in about 30 seconds with a 1.30 twr).  I've often felt this way in the original game too, but it's easy to just write that off as that whole system being scaled down.  

Apologies if it really is 1:1 with the Kerbals, KSC just looked massive from orbit, and I thought I'd ask. :)

I have a question, please. I want to play with RSS, but not RO and also, I want a rocket that can get to orbit in stock KSP, to also get to orbit in RSS. Make sense? So, I went into the parts folder and increased all the engine ISP amounts by a factor of 2.76 (which is RSS DV to LEO divided by KSP DV to LKO; 9400/3400=2.764706) Using this, I was able complete a landed moon mission and return using the same stock parts (only tweaked) as I would if i were doing a Mun mission and return. The amount of fuel remaining after both missions was very comparable. My problem is, When I change all the engines ISP's it removes a bunch of parts from the game, like: All the payload parts, all the jet engines, and a few other parts as well. Why would this be? Also, is there already a mod that does this? or is there an easier and more reliable way of doing this than what I have done?

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Side note: is this in the right thread? 

2 hours ago, Sippitous said:

I have a question, please. I want to play with RSS, but not RO and also, I want a rocket that can get to orbit in stock KSP, to also get to orbit in RSS. Make sense? So, I went into the parts folder and increased all the engine ISP amounts by a factor of 2.76 (which is RSS DV to LEO divided by KSP DV to LKO; 9400/3400=2.764706) Using this, I was able complete a landed moon mission and return using the same stock parts (only tweaked) as I would if i were doing a Mun mission and return. The amount of fuel remaining after both missions was very comparable. My problem is, When I change all the engines ISP's it removes a bunch of parts from the game, like: All the payload parts, all the jet engines, and a few other parts as well. Why would this be? Also, is there already a mod that does this? or is there an easier and more reliable way of doing this than what I have done?

Tank mass fractions are more important.  Try SMURFF. 

Also Cyro-engines gives you some good high ISP Hydrolox engines and also has a Liquid option. Also see @Nertea's Cryogenic Tanks along with this. (four mods total work together)

There is a simple ISPx2 mod https://github.com/miki-g/M-ISPx2/releases

More Engines....

Going even deeper towards realism

As a part way option instead of going RO/RP-0 you could do

Edited by Bornholio
links

3 hours ago, Sippitous said:

You don't say HOW you made those changes (i.e. direct editing, which is a no-no or Module Manager patch) but it sounds like your changes were not syntactically correct and corrupted the configs such that they wouldn't compile properly

Without logs from you and a ModuleManager.ConfigCache file, that's only speculation on my part. (a missing ModuleManager.ConfigCache is a dead giveaway that any patches you attempted corrupted the configs, preventing MM from patching)

(and, if we are talking about Module Manager patches then you should take that discussion to the MM thread)

Edited by Starwaster

@StarwasterLOL. Why is direct editing a no-no? That's how I did it. I just changed the "atmocurve" in the parts file for each engine. At first, I was very precise rounding to 3 decimal places. note: I also changed the name of the "squad" folder. maybe that caused an issue too? When all the parts didn't show up in-game, I deleted the "squadRSS"  folder (which was the name I gave it), and restored it from my backup to try again but this time ignoring the jet engines all together, rounding the atmocurve values to whole numbers only, and keeping the folder name unchanged. That did the trick. All the parts are there and the game seems stable.

@Bornholio Thank you for your awesome suggestions. The ISPx2 mod by miki-g was exactly what I was looking for, only I changed the x2 values to x2.764706. Woot, THANKS!!!

8 minutes ago, Sippitous said:

@StarwasterLOL. Why is direct editing a no-no? That's how I did it. I just changed the "atmocurve" in the parts file for each engine. At first, I was very precise rounding to 3 decimal places. note: I also changed the name of the "squad" folder. maybe that caused an issue too? When all the parts didn't show up in-game, I deleted the "squadRSS"  folder (which was the name I gave it), and restored it from my backup to try again but this time ignoring the jet engines all together, rounding the atmocurve values to whole numbers only, and keeping the folder name unchanged. That did the trick. All the parts are there and the game seems stable.

@Bornholio Thank you for your awesome suggestions. The ISPx2 mod by miki-g was exactly what I was looking for, only I changed the x2 values to x2.764706. Woot, THANKS!!!

Direct editing is a no no for a couple reasons. For example:

if you ever decide to play the stock bodies again, you may forget you changed things. This may cause players to show up to other threads asking why everything is borked. 

Also, unless you have a back up of all of squads default part cfgs, you will have to either re download  the game or verify its integrity to get the correct values back in those cfgs. 

To avoid this, use a module manager cfg. That way, none of squads cfgs are actually touched.

direct changes just have the potential to cause a lot of headaches or the player and other modders. If you know what you are doing, and make proper back ups, it's fine to do, but most people don't do that, then blame mods when they forget they made changes themselves. 

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Direct editing is a no no for a couple reasons. For example:

if you ever decide to play the stock bodies again, you may forget you changed things. This may cause players to show up to other threads asking why everything is borked. 

Also, unless you have a back up of all of squads default part cfgs, you will have to either re download  the game or verify its integrity to get the correct values back in those cfgs. 

To avoid this, use a module manager cfg. That way, none of squads cfgs are actually touched.

direct changes just have the potential to cause a lot of headaches or the player and other modders. If you know what you are doing, and make proper back ups, it's fine to do, but most people don't do that, then blame mods when they forget they made changes themselves. 

This is sage advice. Thank you for that explanation. Although, I do have backups of every single version of the game since I started playing Sept of 2013, and also several for different play styles that I am currently playing.

1 minute ago, Sippitous said:

This is sage advice. Thank you for that explanation. Although, I do have backups of every single version of the game since I started playing Sept of 2013, and also several for different play styles that I am currently playing.

Well then you are good to go then.