[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

2 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Irenicus Well...

I do not think that any of these mods are going to work with a pre-release of KSP.

@Irenicus Oh I didn't see that you were using 1.2.9. Kopernicus is version locked so RSS will not work with 1.2.9 

Edited by Galileo

The ground satellite connections I connect to in RO are part of RSS, right?

If so, I think the one named "SG3 - KSAT Svalbard" is somewhat misplaced – it's appearing at the coordinates of Kongsberg Satellite Services' offices in Tromsø (roughly 69.66 N, 18.94 E), but wouldn't it make more sense if the connection was with the SvalSat ground station (incidentally located on Svalbard, at roughly 78.23 N, 15.40 E)?

Hello everyone.

First of all RSS is amazing mod. But I have a bot of a problem playing with it ,RO and KSC switch because of a weird terrain glitch, which causes surface to consists of big squares not connected to each other. This causes all my rovers and planes on Earth to explode upon colliding with a border between two squares or at the very list jump a bit (if I go from higher square to lower). Is there any solution to this problem?

25 minutes ago, dangel74 said:

Hello everyone.

First of all RSS is amazing mod. But I have a bot of a problem playing with it ,RO and KSC switch because of a weird terrain glitch, which causes surface to consists of big squares not connected to each other. This causes all my rovers and planes on Earth to explode upon colliding with a border between two squares or at the very list jump a bit (if I go from higher square to lower). Is there any solution to this problem?

Its a stock problem that has been around since 1.2 was released. Using a scaled up system like RSS makes these terrain seams worse. In the prerelease 1.2.9, the terrain seams are fixed, but RSS will not work in 1.2.9 because Kopernicus is version locked to KSP 1.2.2. The only thing you can do is deal with the seams, and wait until 1.3 releases and all the mods catch up.

9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Its a stock problem that has been around since 1.2 was released. Using a scaled up system like RSS makes these terrain seams worse. In the prerelease 1.2.9, the terrain seams are fixed, but RSS will not work in 1.2.9 because Kopernicus is version locked to KSP 1.2.2. The only thing you can do is deal with the seams, and wait until 1.3 releases and all the mods catch up.

Guess I'll have to wait. Thank you for the answer and explanation

I am having a real hard time landing on mars. Anyone has tips on how to do it?

I mean, I tried parachutes,  but I go too fast for them to open and the drag doesn't seem to kill the huge orbital speed. 

I feel like my thousands of ksp hours were a joke when I tried this.

Any tips?

Airbrakes? Inflatable heatshield? If it's a return mission, land near-empty and fuel up with ISRU?

You'll probably need to use rockets for the final braking though.

And don't forget to target low(ish) ground.

1 hour ago, Kuldaralagh said:

Any tips?

Aim for a low altitude landing spot. The higher the altitude of the landing site the less braking effect you'll get from the thin Martian atmosphere.

Also make sure to include both drogues and main chutes and even then you'll likely want to use rockets to wipe off residual velocity before touch-down.

NathanKell included several videos in his RP-0 YouTube series about Mars missions - try this one to start with (disclaimer: I haven't rewatched it to make sure it's the right one, just picked based on title)

6 hours ago, Kuldaralagh said:

I am having a real hard time landing on mars. Anyone has tips on how to do it?

Super-sonic parachutes and propulsive landing. Use the parachutes to decelerate you enough so that you can discard any reentry protection equipment and then the engines to soft land.

Another solution would be to use airbags for the final landing instead of landing struts. Uses less fuel too.

TL;DR: follow real life procedures (or derivatives of them) and you will succeed the first time.

Well that was interesting. I was fed up with exploration contracts that insisted that I plant a flag on Venus and then returning from it.

So I figured, it can't be that hard, right? And surprisingly, it wasn't. Getting down wasn't much of a problem, the upper atmosphere of Venus seems to be more or less like Earth's.

Spoiler

screenshot67.jpg

The 3 stage ascent vehicle consisted of 6 Firespitter electric props powered by a 1.25m USI nuke, to get through the venusian soup. Very tedious though, most of it with a terminal velocity of ~5-10 m/s, it took 45 minutes to get to 60 km altitude where the speed finally started to pick up.

screenshot68.jpg

At 82 km altitude the props started to overheat due to lack of cooling atmosphere, so I jettisoned the nuke and basically launched as if from Earth. Three SpaceY boosters provided 2709 m/s delta-V and raised apoapsis to 155 km.

screenshot69.jpgThe upper stage had 5807 m/s delta-V thanks to a superlight USI airlock module for the pilot. After the 4 minute long circularizing burn, we still had 668 m/s left over and everyone was happy, except for the R&D department, because there was just no place to store data from the venusian surface and the antenna broke off during re-entry (somebody forgot to retract it).

This was with RSS+SMURFF and not RO though, perhaps RO would make it a little more difficult. Also only playing on "Moderate" difficulty to pressure limits weren't enabled. This probably made a difference...

5 hours ago, jd284 said:

Well that was interesting. I was fed up with exploration contracts that insisted that I plant a flag on Venus and then returning from it.

So I figured, it can't be that hard, right? And surprisingly, it wasn't. Getting down wasn't much of a problem, the upper atmosphere of Venus seems to be more or less like Earth's.inal velocity of ~5-10 m/s, it took 45 minutes to get to 60 km altitude where the speed finally started to pick up.

The next DRE will make manned missions to Venus.... even MORE interesting. :wink:

Playing with RSS and KSP1.3 I'm getting some interesting bugs. Mercury is missing, Earth is called Kerbin, and the majority of rocky bodies are prefixed with 'the' (i.e The Moon, The Pluto, The Iapetus, The Mimas, etc..)

4 minutes ago, KAO said:

Playing with RSS and KSP1.3 I'm getting some interesting bugs. Mercury is missing, Earth is called Kerbin, and the majority of rocky bodies are prefixed with 'the' (i.e The Moon, The Pluto, The Iapetus, The Mimas, etc..)

it's rss translated by kermans (as rss itself don't have proper usage of brand new translation interface).

Edited by okder

6 minutes ago, KAO said:

A lot needs to be changed in the cfgs. When KSP updated so did some of its API. Because of this, Kopernicus had to change its code as well resulting what you have reported here. If i get time this week, I will create a patch that can fix the issues.

Edited by Galileo

On 28/05/2017 at 10:05 PM, Galileo said:

A lot needs to be changed in the cfgs. When KSP updated so did some of its API. Because of this, Kopernicus had to change its code as well resulting what you have reported here. If i get time this week, I will create a patch that can fix the issues.

I'm waiting for that !

Thanks for your work

5 minutes ago, RocketBlam said:

It works!

Well, it doesnt work for me... i dont get it :/

I installed latests versions of Kopernicus (1.3), 10x kerbol system (i also tried Kerbin 365 and 64K) and i still get Kerbin as main planet. Maybe i'm missing something?

But thank you for your answer

6 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Well, it doesnt work for me... i dont get it :/

I installed latests versions of Kopernicus (1.3), 10x kerbol system (i also tried Kerbin 365 and 64K) and i still get Kerbin as main planet. Maybe i'm missing something?

But thank you for your answer

Those aren't RSS though, are they?