Interplanetary Map of the Kerbol System

Lando

I am currently playing KSP without Mods, so I decided to make one sheet with all the info I need to make my trips.

My "Interplanetary Map of the Kerbol System" was born.

If you are missing some Informations or Graphics you find usefull, just post it here and I will add them

Here is the easy to print PDF full Version:

http://www./view/attfr52m3s754jg/KSPmap.pdf

This is just one of the graphics:

hhzml2j2.png

I made this for my own use but I hope you like it and find it usefull!

Edited by Lando

This is awesome, thank you! I've never left Kerbin's SOI before, but I'm hoping to make my first expedition to Duna before too much longer, and this should no doubt improve my odds of a successful encounter!

I understand the dV component, but can you clarify how to use the angles? Is this how far ahead or behind Kerbin each planet should be when making the burn? Even WITH Mechjeb, this is great info to have!

This is the angle of the planet with relation to Kerbin, assuming the "corner" to be at Kerbol (the sun).

In other words, from the map view, when you're zoomed out and can see the entire solar system, imagine drawing two lines: one from the sun through Kerbin, and the other from the sun through the planet you're trying to visit. The angle between those two lines should match the angle described on this chart.

Or, simply hold this chart up to your screen, lining up the sun and Kerbin, and wait until the planet you want to visit is in roughly the same position on your screen as it is on this chart.

Hope that helps. It took me a long time to grasp the concept of these angles in the first place, and longer still to comprehend why in the heck they mattered (or more to the point, why they mattered more than the relative distance between e.g. Kerbin and Duna, as it seemed to me that one would want to leave the former for the latter when the two are at their closest, i.e. a relative angle of zero), so hopefully I'm explaining them in an understandable way.

Hi everyone, I am glad you find this usefull!

This is a super helpful map for anyone not using Mechjeb or Engineering Mod. It would be very helpful to have this map up on my phone or in the backround while I'm playing. A map showing the windows back TO Kerbin would probably be very useful as well.

Nice work!

I am courently working on one!

Does it work? Even for Eeloo and Moho with their eccentricities? Where'd you get the phase angles and delta-V numbers?

Nice visualization though. I think it's pretty neat how the outer planets are all clustered out near each other.

You have to adjust the transfer path, but this is easy.

I calculated the phase angles and the delta v values, but you wont make a perfect burn, so an exact delta v value won't help you much.

And in stock you can't see your delta V values, so I just made this to visulise the energetic distence between the planets.

So a Dres Rocket will likely make it to Jool, since this does not require a lot more delta v and you can aerobreak at jool.

Edited by Lando

Yes roosterr "Interactive illustrated interplanetary guide and calculator for KSP by olex" is more dynamic -but try to print an oberview with it ;)

I think both guys did a great job. Lando thanks for the Map.

I will test it today getting some vessels back from Laythe and Duna.

I hate to rain on your parade Lando, but someone else has created what you have but in a more dynamic and interactive form here: http://ksp.olex.biz/

But, please, with all due respect, yours is a nice concise tool one can hang on the wall as a cheat sheet, and I am sure will not be time wasted.

Yes roosterr "Interactive illustrated interplanetary guide and calculator for KSP by olex" is more dynamic -but try to print an oberview with it ;)

I know about the Interactive guide, but as KroShan said, I hate to switch to my webbrowser to look these things up.

I made this for my personal use in firstplace and i pinned a printout next to my screen.

Also I want to add more infos other than dv and angle, basicly everything that seams usefull to me

Bear in mind the angles from Kerbin to each world for the transfer is the ideal launch window position for each world. Making a transfer to another world with it in another position is always possible, with a difference in dV and time.

100% true. This is one reason why I didn't just put an exact number like "12.34°" on there.

This way it is easy to compare to the screen. You won't get the exact angle in game anyway.

Map is great, web site is cool too. Can we get a mod with a map like this.

SWtabel.jpg

cool a starwas deathstar screen!

So in the game the center would be the sun, the red dot kerbin and the blue your target? Or what did you think?

PS: are you from Chicago Land :-) ?

Edited by Lando

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.