Tarnished Skins

Caesar15

WhenI first started to texture the work I did was terrible. I got better with practice and the helpful advice of people in the community. I think its great that he wants to try and learn how to texture. I still have a lot of work to go with texturing, and I get better with each model I finish. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

As you can see by the thread, he is asking for help and willing to learn. He got off on the wrong foot by not asking for permission, and making light of it. But he appears to be trying to correct his mistake. Which I think is admirable considering how he has been treated so far. He did ask me for permission to do textures for the C-7 pack.

You don\'t get a free pass to treat someone poorly because the quality of their work is in your opinion 'terrible'. Art is subjective, and when I got started you could of easily argued my work was 'terrible'. Its taken hard work to get to where I am today.

I do like the concept behind this reskin, and look forward to its gradual evolution as Caesar\'s texturing skills grow. Let\'s just call this current incarnation v0.1 and anticipate a distinctly non-shiny v1.0.

As an aside, I suspect it would be best if we all set aside Caesar\'s faux pas in the previous thread. There is nothing to be gained by discussing it further, except when warning other new modders against similar missteps.

WhenI first started to texture the work I did was terrible. I got better with practice and the helpful advice of people in the community. I think its great that he wants to try and learn how to texture. I still have a lot of work to go with texturing, and I get better with each model I finish. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

As you can see by the thread, he is asking for help and willing to learn. He got off on the wrong foot by not asking for permission, and making light of it. But he appears to be trying to correct his mistake. Which I think is admirable considering how he has been treated so far. He did ask me for permission to do textures for the C-7 pack.

You don\'t get a free pass to treat someone poorly because the quality of their work is in your opinion 'terrible'. Art is subjective, and when I got started you could of easily argued my work was 'terrible'. Its taken hard work to get to where I am today.

All he is doing is using a fill bucket tool to ruin textures. Also whenever someone criticises him he just hides behind the mods who delete the critical posts.

Here\'s my take: Never release your first work. People are bound to think it\'s terrible. I made the mistake myself and it ended badly. If you keep working on improving your work, then, eventually, it becomes likable to the community.

@Chubbs: Shut the fuck up. I tried acting like that and it got me nowhere. Give it up.

All he is doing is using a fill bucket tool to ruin textures. Also whenever someone criticises him he just hides behind the mods who delete the critical posts.

He\'s not going to succeed in a day. He\'s not hiding behind the mods, I\'m removing flaming and troll posts. You\'re not adding any content to this conversation by telling him his work is shit, and when people to tell you stop you should.

It doesn\'t mean continue to harass and ignore the moderators. So I\'m going to say again, if you don\'t have any actual advice to add to any KSP forum then just stop posting.

However, I agree with Nova, if we\'re going to go there. I never release my first work and very easily you can just post in the addon development forum and get feedback without many trolls. But Nova, you\'re only going to exacerbate Chubbs.

So we have a choice here, we can let him actually work with the feedback, or I can just start dealing with the people trolling him.

As I said before, this is not (IMO) release quality. Practice more first.

I once had to tell a friend that no, his pencil drawings on notebook paper about himself and his friends were not really webcomic material. He was hurt, of course, but he came to see the truth of it.

My own art is writing. There\'s an oft-quoted aphorism in that field: 'Your first million words are going to be crap, so you might as well get them out of your system.' While showing your work to fellow artists in private to get help and criticism can be a good thing, there is no obligation (and good reasons not) to do so before a general audience. Feedback is not likely to be positive or helpful.

He\'s not going to succeed in a day. He\'s not hiding behind the mods, I\'m removing flaming and troll posts. You\'re not adding any content to this conversation by telling him his work is shit, and when people to tell you stop you should.

It doesn\'t mean continue to harass and ignore the moderators. So I\'m going to say again, if you don\'t have any actual advice to add to any KSP forum then just stop posting.

However, I agree with Nova, if we\'re going to go there. I never release my first work and very easily you can just post in the addon development forum and get feedback without many trolls. But Nova, you\'re only going to exacerbate Chubbs.

So we have a choice here, we can let him actually work with the feedback, or I can just start dealing with the people trolling him.

Why just delete the posts? If people are trolling them slap them with a 2 day ban or something.

Ya know, i can agree with what Nova said, i made my first model and a horribly done texture job but i was able to get it in the game and i was happy. My first addition was a now suceeded by someone else pod life preserver like device, but overall people liked what i did.

IMO i think we have another spoiled thread, but seriously guys let him do what he wants, honestly its not like we are forcing you to use his textures, there are people here who will use it and people who won\'t.

/EndRant

Nevermind the naysayers :) You have to start somewhere and from the useful posts in the threads you have posted, you have an idea that the community likes and some people who are willing to lend a helping hand to an up and comer :) I can\'t wait to see your future work, keep it up!

Keep up the good work Caesar. I see a lot of wonderful things coming out of this, even if the creation process involved a ton of manure being sucked through a jet engine.

I\'m gonna go looking around in my photo archives and see if I don\'t have some photos of rust and peeling paint you could cut up play with, or use as reference.

EDIT:

I hope some of these photos give you some inspiration. PM me if you\'d like larger versions of any of them, because believe me I have much larger versions laying around.

Lets see here... Some old, salt water corroded pipes!

3207068159_dee134bf48_z.jpg

Some carbon covered spark plugs.

3152105102_a4e2fe7238_z.jpg?zz=1

Rust and peeling paint on part of a crane

3381178750_8f0d6445e0_z.jpg

Gears on a ship

3603690178_0ebc636dfa_z.jpg

And a rusty old rail bridge.

4468967329_f7d1cc2ea2_z.jpg?zz=1

Here\'s my take: Never release your first work. People are bound to think it\'s terrible. I made the mistake myself and it ended badly. If you keep working on improving your work, then, eventually, it becomes likable to the community.

@Chubbs: Shut the fuck up. I tried acting like that and it got me nowhere. Give it up.

Again, that\'s not entirely true. My VERY first mod I have released. It was widely accepted despite it\'s simplicity (was a simple reskin and cfg edit of the base parts), and a few people even participated in expanding or trying to make it better. I always said that the sooner you take the dive the sooner you will be able to learn how to get better.

I am with you on that one Caesar, I just installed blender and started playing around with it, my first attempt looked nifty but had WAY to many faces and would have been a nightmare to texture, taken forever to load, and would have destroyed my FPS in game :-P, even if I was a good at textures (which I am not, have never modeled or textured in my life).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.