[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

@ferram4 I just also want to say thank you so much!

I know quite well, from personal experience, how this all goes. Hopefully the RL distractions are not anything bad, and if so sorry to hear this.

Don't stress on it too much, and thank you again!

6 hours ago, ferram4 said:

Believe it or not, complaining that something needs an update doesn't make it update faster.  In any case, my attention has been slightly distracted by real life, then FAR, so I haven't focused on this quite as much.

I do have a working build of KJR together, the only thing delaying a release is that there were some reports of IR compatibility issues that I wanted to be sure were taken care of, and it seems like they are.  I'll see about getting the info right and getting an official version out in a day or two.

As a few others have said, thanks, and don't stress it.  99% of the people lurking here will be understanding and realize these things take time, and said time isn't always available.  And may very well not be the modder's absolute highest priority in life.  Funny how that is. :D

I find RL quite compelling, as although the story line is usually excrements, the graphics are awesome.  And I do like eating.  And I don't like people annoying other people to do stuff, especially when person A isn't paying person B for it, plus an extra amount to excuse the annoying bit.  So, even if the reason for not working on KJR is "couldn't be bothered", the people harassing for updates can just f'ng wait.  IMHO IMO

</cents owner="my" number=2>

ferram4: Thanks for the status update.  It is good to hear that you are close to updating KJR.  Hopefully, the remaining tests you need to run will give satisfactory results.  I am looking forward to the release of the new version.

15 hours ago, Dayne_Treader said:

I have an issue with some of my planes vibrating after take-off if they have a part inside another (e.g. BD Armory's Weapon Manager inside a hull piece). Does KJR not support said example?

Part clipping never was a problem when I use KJR. The only time spazzing out happens for me is on rare occasion when wings clip with structural pieces sometimes.

Alright, KJR v3.3.3 is out.  Should be good for all versions of KSP 1.3.x, only weird thing was making sure CompatibilityChecker still worked and didn't do anything stupid, because for some reason it thinks that the game build is 0.1.3 rather than 1.3....

Anyway, no other changes, everything otherwise looks good.

1 minute ago, ferram4 said:

Alright, KJR v3.3.3 is out.  Should be good for all versions of KSP 1.3.x, only weird thing was making sure CompatibilityChecker still worked and didn't do anything stupid, because for some reason it thinks that the game build is 0.1.3 rather than 1.3....

Great news! Would you anticipate any problems going from the unofficial one we've been using to yours? Or is it just too variable to predict?

4 hours ago, ferram4 said:

A 3 3 3  version has to be good. Or crisp and refreshing at least.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Great news! Would you anticipate any problems going from the unofficial one we've been using to yours? Or is it just too variable to predict?

There can't be any issues if you delete the /GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement folder and then install the official release. Or just overwrite all the contents of that folder.

I'm not sure whether CKAN will offer an automatic update. For me it showed that the plugin was autodetected but I can't remember whether I originally had it installed with CKAN or it was just copied there.

34 minutes ago, siimav said:

There can't be any issues if you delete the /GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement folder and then install the official release. Or just overwrite all the contents of that folder.

I'm not sure whether CKAN will offer an automatic update. For me it showed that the plugin was autodetected but I can't remember whether I originally had it installed with CKAN or it was just copied there.

My concern is if there will be any negative effects on existing craft. It does seem unlikely, but doesn't hurt to ask.

3 hours ago, strudo76 said:

My concern is if there will be any negative effects on existing craft. It does seem unlikely, but doesn't hurt to ask.

As far as I know, KJR does not do any changes to your craft that would persist between reloads. Each time your craft is loaded, the joint strengthening is applied again and only remains so for as long as the craft is in physics range.

Also, according to GitHub, Ferram didn't do any functional changes for this release. So it should work exactly the same as my recompile or the previous official release for 1.2.2. Although he did add slightly different version check into the code and hopefully KJR will now also work for people who reported that my recompile did nothing for them.

Edited by siimav

Update complete and all appears to be well again: no wobbling during the interlunar burn to get to Laythe from my Extraplanetary Launchpads supported base on Pol.  Time to resume landing attempts.

Edit: The iteration of my craft that had been waiting on the pad for KJR to update got the job done: good landing, good return to parking orbit (the latter taking several tries due to having to make everything go just right to avoid a re-impact problem during outer booster jettison).  Very little chance of failure now, as I can send tankers from Pol to refuel if need be.

Edited by cgwhite4
Progress update

• 2 weeks later...

I've been recently been playing Realism Overhaul, and whenever I load craft onto the runway/launchpad parts get displaced. I've tracked the issue back to this mod. I love this mod and wish to still use it in RO but this makes it unplayable. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 10:55 AM, ockidj said:

I've been recently been playing Realism Overhaul, and whenever I load craft onto the runway/launchpad parts get displaced. I've tracked the issue back to this mod. I love this mod and wish to still use it in RO but this makes it unplayable. Thanks in advance.

But this mod is required for RO to work...

ockidj: When did this issue first appear?  Did it first appear immediately after KJR updated to 1.3?  If so, please note that RO itself has not updated to 1.3 yet.  Even if the 1.2.2 version of RO can run under KSP 1.3, there may be a compatibility issue between the new version of KJR and the old version of RO which could make it appear that KJR is at fault.  If such a compatibility issue exists, you may have to wait for RO to update (but given that RO has many prerequisites, RO may not yet be able to).  A similar issue occurred between MM and KAS, preventing me from even reaching the title screen until KAS had updated.

• 4 weeks later...
On 28.10.2013 at 7:47 PM, ferram4 said:

If you do find that the stiffening makes the part connections too strong for you you can universally weaken all part connections through a value in the config.xml to counteract it.

Was this discussed in this thread already?
I find stock to wobbly, but KJR a little to stiff / to easy to play. I would try to get in the middle between.
I studied the manual and did some searches in this thread, but I don't really understand, which values to start with.
Could somebody assist with some values to start experimenting with?

BR
Jebs

Edited by Jebs_SY

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, filipucci said:

is there going to see this mode for ksp 1.3.1?

that would be great ! David

Most players seem to find it works well in 1.3.1 as it is.:D That is true for most mods - the 1.3.1 release was mainly bug-fixing, and there were very few changes of the sort that break mods.

*moderator hat on*

Please be careful about asking for or about mod updates, especially if (as in this case) somebody else asked just three posts up! If too many people ask about updates, then that can stress out the modders, all of whom do modding for fun and don't get paid to deal with too many demands. Modders have been known to quit over this issue. As as result, asking about updates has been banned. Please read the Guidelines, there's a handy link right up at the top of the forum.

• 1 month later...
On 02/11/2017 at 6:47 AM, softweir said:

Most players seem to find it works well in 1.3.1 as it is.:D That is true for most mods - the 1.3.1 release was mainly bug-fixing, and there were very few changes of the sort that break mods.

*moderator hat on*

Please be careful about asking for or about mod updates, especially if (as in this case) somebody else asked just three posts up! If too many people ask about updates, then that can stress out the modders, all of whom do modding for fun and don't get paid to deal with too many demands. Modders have been known to quit over this issue. As as result, asking about updates has been banned. Please read the Guidelines, there's a handy link right up at the top of the forum.

Actually they added control from here in command seats and your not allowed to EVA in a faring for some reason, plus this does need a 1.3.1 update

• 2 weeks later...