[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

You can edit the particle lifetime in the fx emitter, I'd think.

That is what I was thinking... any idea how it would impact performance? I'm thinking that there may also be transform implications too...

Very little. KSP is CPU limited, and what does the GPU care if it renders a few more particles? Well, I mean, the CPU has to transform them (unless Unity is modern enough to do that on GPU, which I doubt), but that's cheap compared to planet quadtrees or part physics.

I mean, heck, I've regularly been playing with about 5x the emitters*, so just increasing a single emitter's lifetime won't do much damage. :)

*smoke looks much better when you copy-paste smoketrail_large about 5 times. Same with flame_yellow. I did that on the Realscale Gemini, if you want to try it and see if it impacts your performance.

I'm using Beta 2 and I just noticed that from a 10km orbit around Mun, I can still see Kerbin's clouds through Mun. Is that possibly an odd interaction with other mods or have you not licked that particular problem yet?

I thought I killed that bug... Ugh. Do you know the order of events that got you there? (MapView changes, Did you load from the tracking station, etc.) I have a suspicion about how I can solve it, but I want to be 100% sure this time. IVA is fixed though right?

Very little. KSP is CPU limited, and what does the GPU care if it renders a few more particles? Well, I mean, the CPU has to transform them (unless Unity is modern enough to do that on GPU, which I doubt), but that's cheap compared to planet quadtrees or part physics.

I mean, heck, I've regularly been playing with about 5x the emitters*, so just increasing a single emitter's lifetime won't do much damage. :)

*smoke looks much better when you copy-paste smoketrail_large about 5 times. Same with flame_yellow. I did that on the Realscale Gemini, if you want to try it and see if it impacts your performance.

I thought particles were CPU intensive once you had a decent number of them? That is what all the unity forums seem to say at any rate...

I thought I killed that bug... Ugh. Do you know the order of events that got you there? (MapView changes, Did you load from the tracking station, etc.) I have a suspicion about how I can solve it, but I want to be 100% sure this time. IVA is fixed though right?

I didn't check IVA but I will next time I load the game. Here's what I did to the best of my memory:

Load game.

Go to tracking station.

While in that map view turn off Kethane grid (that's one of my mods).

Select the ship orbiting Mun 10.x km up (fairly circular, both apoapsis and periapsis were between 10 and 11km) and "fly" it.

(possibly go to map mode and back but I don't think so)

Notice Kerbin's clouds remain as Kerbin goes below the horizon.

Sadly since then my oribiter has left Mun to go to Minmus (It has the fuel so why send up a new Kethane probe?), else I'd give you my savegame.

I didn't check IVA but I will next time I load the game. Here's what I did to the best of my memory:

Load game.

Go to tracking station.

While in that map view turn off Kethane grid (that's one of my mods).

Select the ship orbiting Mun 10.x km up (fairly circular, both apoapsis and periapsis were between 10 and 11km) and "fly" it.

(possibly go to map mode and back but I don't think so)

Notice Kerbin's clouds remain as Kerbin goes below the horizon.

Sadly since then my oribiter has left Mun to go to Minmus (It has the fuel so why send up a new Kethane probe?), else I'd give you my savegame.

That should help me. Still not sure why it didn't move the clouds to the correct layer though. Every time the dominant body is changed or flight started, it should move the clouds to layer 10, then back once it becomes the dominant body and within the camera view distance setting. I'll have to play around with it to see if I can replicate the results. Thanks!

Interesting little bug I found. It appears that at the right altitude and the wrong location, city lights can be seen through mountains.

usotTJn.png

2i25rgx.png

Love the mod by the way. Really makes Kerbin feel alive. Excellent work. I am using kethane if that matters at all.

City Lights for Kerbin and Clouds for Any planet you wish! The config file can be modified to add any number of cloud layers to any planet.

Many thanks to 5thHorseman for the lights texture and to CaptRobau for the kerbin cloud texture!

Additional thanks to Lack for the config and additional textures for Eve, Duna, Laythe, and Jool!

More additional thanks to Tw1 for the new city lights detail texture!

Next up:

Enhancing cloud shader

Exposing more config params

Fix UV Mapping for polar regions

Attempt:

Planetary Aurora

Planetary Rings!

Mipmaps for textures

Volumetric Clouds (to fly through)

Procedural Cloud Cover

Possibly:

Actual Cities/Towns/Farms/Roads/etc.

Weather

Javascript is disabled. View full album

DL:

https://github.com/waka324/VisualEnhancements/releases/tag/Beta-2

Source:

https://github.com/waka324/VisualEnhancements/

Only Mod I've installed in a completely stock save run by a person who's proud to be 100% stock.

Well done!

Can you put a dot of city lights at KSC?

I actually removed the lights before there were road details put in. I never thought to put some back now. I'll play with it in the rework of the light map I'm going to be starting soon.

Only Mod I've installed in a completely stock save run by a person who's proud to be 100% stock.

Well done!

As someone who also tends to avoid mod parts (though I do have Kethane and KAS installed) I will recommend to you Universe Replacer as another great visuals-only mod. It plays nicely with this mod and a high texture Kerbin with clouds and lights just has to be seen to be appreciated.

Is there a seperate download only for the lights without clouds, or does it have to be done manually?

Right now the folder can just be deleted. That is interesting. Usually if people don't want both, they don't want the lights :)

Well done!

Thank you for this mod, it's very beautiful! It really enhances the gameplay =)

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of response I like to hear :)

Interesting little bug I found. It appears that at the right altitude and the wrong location, city lights can be seen through mountains.

usotTJn.png

2i25rgx.png

Love the mod by the way. Really makes Kerbin feel alive. Excellent work. I am using kethane if that matters at all.

I have been trying to think of a way to fix this, but unfortunately the depth buffer can't detect the mountains. The lights can either be rendered on top, or below, and if I do below, they don't appear until you are ~40km up.

Be careful when flying low at night near mountains. City lights can be visible through the mountains, making the rocks nearly impossible to see. I learned this the hard way by slamming into the cliffs of K2 at over 600m/s. There were no survivors. The lights abruptly vanished about 2 seconds before impact, but at those speeds it was already too late.

Be careful when flying low at night near mountains. City lights can be visible through the mountains, making the rocks nearly impossible to see. I learned this the hard way by slamming into the cliffs of K2 at over 600m/s. There were no survivors. The lights abruptly vanished about 2 seconds before impact, but at those speeds it was already too late.

Sorry to hear that... I'll see if there is a good way for me to fix this issue.