[1.1.x] Space Shuttle Engines (2016-07-03)

sarbian

Which parts of the pack do you use?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which parts of the pack do you use?

• X2 Engine
    • BB engines
    • Aerospike
    • Attachment points
    • Auto Stagers
    • Fuel Controllers
    • Radio Controller
    • Tank System
    • OMS system

Love this pack. But for some reason the tank separators are very hard to fit in place. It's just me?

That's probaby because they are sooooo thin. Maybe I can change the size of the attachment point to make it better.

Edited by dtobi

I love these engines. I've finally built my first practical (mostly) 20+ ton payload capable space shuttle. This mod is also a perfect match with Stretchy SRBs since you can fine tune both the main tank and the SRB's.

Much like the real space shuttle, the SRB's on this one provide just over 2/3's of the shuttle's overall thrust until burnout about 2 minutes and 5 seconds after launch.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I have noticed that the engines won't gimbal unless they're staged. For example, activating an engine via action group results in it firing straight ahead, as if it's in gimbal lock mode. It would be great if this bug could be fixed. Also, the action group command "toggle gimbal" doesn't actually do anything for the X3 shuttle engine.

Edited by Firov
Imgur problems. Showing old album for some reason.

That's probaby because they are sooooo thin. Maybe I can change the size of the attachment point to make it better.

I notice it have a tendency to sticky to side (radially) of other boosters, instead of sticking on top of the tank it needs to go. I need to play surgeon and don't let it "touch" other boosters while placing it so it attaches in correct place.

I notice it have a tendency to sticky to side (radially) of other boosters, instead of sticking on top of the tank it needs to go. I need to play surgeon and don't let it "touch" other boosters while placing it so it attaches in correct place.

I think I can fix that. --> Try the next release again. Thanks for the hint.

I need to fix that in the next release. Are you using FAR?

WAITNONOSTOP! Don't lower the drag values. Due to the fact that the tanks are made for shuttles, which are asymmetric, changing drag can make the shuttles nosedown by undesirable amounts, especially since the cockpits don't have lowered drag values either. So you either have to change every single cockpit ever made to use a lower drag value, or just not down-drag the tank nosecones.

WAITNONOSTOP! Don't lower the drag values. Due to the fact that the tanks are made for shuttles, which are asymmetric, changing drag can make the shuttles nosedown by undesirable amounts, especially since the cockpits don't have lowered drag values either. So you either have to change every single cockpit ever made to use a lower drag value, or just not down-drag the tank nosecones.

I'll first review the drag values of the stock parts and of B9. These have been my reference so far. Maybe the values for the small and large sizes are off. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by dtobi

First, love this mod...

GhygBTy.png

Second, it seems to me that the tanks have a little too much fuel for their size. The 3.25 midfuel tank has more than double the rockomax and it isn't that much larger.

The tank volumes aren't guesstimates but are the result of the actual geometric volume of the cylinders. The larger tank is higher and wider. In total that makes a much larger volume.

The new update is out!

kVnH1ka.jpg

Changes:

V0.7 Automatic staging and action groups plus minor fixes

* Added staging and action group trigger thingys (see pictures)

* Removed surface attachment property from fuel breakers

* Adjusted drag values for fuel tanks and caps a bit until I found out that all values of the stock parts are bogus. If someone wants to make a sane suggestion - go ahead.

See first post for more info on auto staging devices.

The reason I made the auto staging devices: I hate it to monitor the external tanks just to find out when it has drained. It is cumbersome and doesn't work from IVA. The staging and action group triggers solve that.

Fixed it!...

I have noticed that the engines won't gimbal unless they're staged. For example, activating an engine via action group results in it firing straight ahead, as if it's in gimbal lock mode. It would be great if this bug could be fixed. Also, the action group command "toggle gimbal" doesn't actually do anything for the X3 shuttle engine.

It is the same for all engines. Even stock engines don't gimbal when you activate them with an action group. I don't know how to fix that. Sorry.

Auto-stage triggers? WHERE HAVE THESE BEEN ALL MY LIFE??

I was searching the forums and google to see if someone had already done that. Nothing! Mechjeb can auto stage with some guesstimates but few people use it (I don't) and its guesstimates are useless if you work with external tanks without engines attached.

Auto-stage triggers? WHERE HAVE THESE BEEN ALL MY LIFE??

BTW: you can make beautiful visual staging indicators with the action group triggers and some nice B9 lights (see example craft Explorer). It has three lights on its back. Whenever a stage is spent (fuel tank is empty, not engines have burnt out) a light will go on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.