Jeb stranded on Mun, first rescue failed, looking for tips.

So, yeah, after a moon-landing gone awry Jeb is stuck on the moon, my first rescue craft failed to slow down in time and crashed as well (stupid three-kilometer ground height), with it's debris tens of kilometres away. I turn to the forums for suggestions for rescue strategies.

He's currently just on the dark side of the mun, has only a capsule with one parachute, and is inside a crater in the Munar midlands.

I appreciate the help, he's carrying a Munar surface sample worth a LOT of science.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2010/11/in-event-of-moon-disaster.html?m=1

In all seriousness, most of the samples are lost. (At least until we can transfer science between craft using Kerbals.) The best bet is to pick him up the same way you stranded him.

Have you unlocked any unmanned tech? Probes, etc? If so, build another lander and slap a probe on it, preferably with a parachute too. If not - Jeb gets an extended holiday until you can go get him.

Rescue missions are the heart and soul of KSP. Good luck!

I have probes, yes, and was attempting a light-weight rescue lander, but due to the dark side thing it's a bit difficult and ended up crashing.

I did try installing KAS to mount an airborne rescue, but it turns out either it's not integrated into the Tech Tree, and I lacked the parts.

I have probes, yes, and was attempting a light-weight rescue lander, but due to the dark side thing it's a bit difficult and ended up crashing.

I did try installing KAS to mount an airborne rescue, but it turns out either it's not integrated into the Tech Tree, and I lacked the parts.

This is an incredibly simple fix.

All you do is find the part config file of whatever you wish to be in game, then add the following underneath 'editor parameters'

// --- editor parameters ---

TechRequired = start

entryCost = 0

This unlocks whatever you wish at the very start of the campaign. If you wish to unlock it through science later, well, add different values.

Although if you feel like doing it the good 'ol stock way, I'd suggest making a 'scoop' or makeshift cargo hold to transport the ship back. Get the lander into orbit, rendezvous with it, casually 'dock' with it (I'd suggest a ring of structural fuselages, with perhaps ladders and landing legs to 'lock' the opening) then ferry it back to Kerbin. At Kerbin, simply 'unlock' the makeshift cargo bay and attempt to get your lander out, then burn for your re-entry. Sounds complicated, probably is.

Leave jeb for now. Practice with a simple lander to land first. Once you can land, THAN build your rescue ship to get Jeb.

Kerbals don't die from waiting. Just leave him till you can safely get him back. He'll entertain himself

On the 3km high mountains: Make sure you land in the sun. That'll allow you to see your shadow, which gives you an indication on how far off the ground you are. Or put lights on your lander to shine down, so you can see the ground when it's dark (sunlight is still better though)

My current strategy at the moment is to wait until Jeb is on the dayside and then send my rescue lander, which should be enough for me to (worst case rescue) push the capsule into a Kerbin-grazing orbit.

The input is great, thanks, I'll report back the outcome in a few minutes.

Success! The probe is down 9km away from Jeb, he's on his way now. It's only taken two days.

EDIT: Stop the music, he crashed on his way there... and within a kilometre of the rescue lander as well!

Oh well, he'll be back, he's been resurrected once before..

Edited by ProjectXMark1

On the 3km high mountains: Make sure you land in the sun. That'll allow you to see your shadow, which gives you an indication on how far off the ground you are. Or put lights on your lander to shine down, so you can see the ground when it's dark (sunlight is still better though)

I tend to put four downward-facing landing lights on all my landers, arranged so that the pools of light from all four just barely touches the others when landed (this generally requires trial-and-error on the landing pad to get them just right). This way, as you descend, you'll see an 'X' form in the shadow between each, that gradually shrinks until it disappears just as you touch down. Makes night landings almost easy!!

I'm sure this is known, but since it hasn't been said yet, I'll add that the radar altimeter in the IVA view is extremely useful. It's the only reason I've found to use that view, but it's a really, really good reason.

I tend to put four downward-facing landing lights on all my landers, arranged so that the pools of light from all four just barely touches the others when landed (this generally requires trial-and-error on the landing pad to get them just right). This way, as you descend, you'll see an 'X' form in the shadow between each, that gradually shrinks until it disappears just as you touch down. Makes night landings almost easy!!

Yea, I have a plan to do that somewhere in the back of my mind :P

Though not as needed for me as I got Mechjeb to tell me the exact altitude to the ground, rather than the avarage sea level

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.