[0.23] Crowd-sourced Science Logs: SCIENCE NEEDS YOU!

codepants

READ THIS:

I no longer run this project and this is no longer the thread for it.

This is: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/102373-Plugin-Delta-0-25-Crowd-Sourced-Science-Under-New-Management

- - - - - -

PROBABLY DON'T READ THIS:

(it's the original post)

Google docs can't handle large files. In the mean time, things have been grossly simplified (as you can probably tell by the length of this post).

We are not combing new submissions until I figure out the solution. You can still submit things here, they just won't get moderated/inserted for the foreseeable future.

You can still download the files; however, there has been some questioning as to whether or not they work in the latest updated. Be aware.

Moderated version:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17Xz1yGxpiYroM8BCahs8NjOQI3DTEWl-6BDDoaEmv-E/edit?usp=sharing

Unmoderated version:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16emLjL5HVEySBiQHPeajsnyzgABRhJq9AzFCsrLUKKY/edit?usp=sharing

Both versions are now copyrighted under CC BY-NC-SA. If you don't know what that means, look it up. Basically, it means don't sell it for money.

I have also added a disclaimer to the submission form regarding the copyright.

Right now, real life is in the way, and I'm sorry about that. I will get back to this eventually. If anybody wants to come up with an ad-hoc solution, I will edit this post accordingly.

I will still respond to edit suggestions in the file as I get an e-mail for those so they are hard to ignore and quick to implement.

Noob question: How do I use this mod?

Replace (after making a backup!) the ScienceDefs.cfg that is inside your Squad\Resources folder.

Edited by codepants
ALL THE EDITS

To clarify, if there are multiple versions of the same report, will the game then just select one?

ie:

KerbinSrfLandedShores = You took a sample of the soil. It's very muddy and sandy. There might be a body of water nearby

Could I then add a second KerbinSrfLandedShores such that

KerbinSrfLandedShores = You took a sample of the soil. It's very muddy and sandy. There might be a body of water nearby

KerbinSrfLandedShores = OMG I FOUND A CRAWDADDY! I LOVE HIM I... oops, he laid an egg. A crawmommy this is. Science!

Yes! Perfect way to get more variety into the results. Already at 25% more content in just a couple of hours. Keep going!

To clarify, if there are multiple versions of the same report, will the game then just select one?

ie...

exactly. Random selection. Also, each experiment can have one or more "default" texts that will be selected if no Situation-specific text could be found.

I added a bunch. Maybe I'll add a bunch more later on. But you are right, if everyone adds one, this will really add up. Sadly I haven't been to all the planets so there are some I can't write about.

This is awesome you guys. Thanks so much for contributing!

I went ahead and proofread today, then saved it as an uneditable backup. So even if something happens to the crowdsourced file anybody can use the version as of today.

- - - NOTE - - -

If anybody wants to volunteer to proofread periodically, that would be great! Please send me a PM. When I want to make a backup I will ask you to paste the crowdsource in your .cfg file, check for formatting/etc (it's much easier to see formatting errors in NotePad than in Google docs), then send me the file so I can post it as an uneditable backup. Thanks!

Edited by codepants

Just out of blind interest, is there scope for adding this as a mod in the Gamedata folder or can it ONLY be added to the stock game file?

An excellent question I don't know the answer to. I am happy to rewrite the instruction and make any other necessary changes if someone more intelligible can confirm.

I have shamelessly copy-pasted these Science definitions into a Github repository, available here. Using git for this project would provide easier/better tracking of history, and prevent anybody from deleting everything. At the moment the repository is publically viewable, but not editable. If you Fork it and submit a Pull Request I will merge anything. coolpantskyle, I can grant you access if you like - it will make it much easier.

The link to view the ScienceDefs.cfg file directly is here. You can right-click --> save as this directly to your GameData/Squad/Resources/.

Best...Idea...EVAR!!!! Now I will start reading the reports again, after three times or so of reading them all I was interested in was the science amount. Thank you very much for the idea CoolpantsKyle and all who have contributed so far.