[Music] KSP Main Theme Transcription (Piano)

OrtwinS

I put up a revised version, correcting 2 minor issues that bothered me.

Hi all,

Despite procrastination I finally got around to writing a transcription of HarvesteR playing the KSP Main Theme:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5095563/KSP_Theme_Piano_v2.pdf

Notes:

• Excuse the pedal lines being borked, MuseScore can't do pedal lines very well.
  • Secondly I left out the extreme low C's HarvesteR played at the end since in my artistic vision, these don't fit.
  • I couldn't cheat my way through half the piece with 'D.C. al Coda' because measure 30 is minuscule different, and it would only have been confusing to do it for the 6 measures that I could shave of that way)
  • Other people have made similar transcriptions, but those were more abstract. (Melody only, by clynically_cynical. And Carbon Maestro posted a basic transcription:
    )

Depending on your piano skills this transcription will sound similar to this:

I don't plan on stopping here!

This theme lends itself well variations and adaptations. I have several 'expansions' in mind that build upon the original theme. (Since I'm rather busy the next 2 weeks I won't be writing down & uploading these soon though).

There have been requests for a trumpet transcription/arrangement, but I find it tricky because of the restricted range (can't do that octave jump with a trumpet). I tried but I think I'm not capable of writing this for trumpet without butchering it.

If someone wants to take up the challenge, write it in G (one #) so it'll fit with this version.

Then there is the original 'full' (orchestral) version of the music...

Carbon Maestro (see his link above) made one, but never released the transcription of all instruments.

Victor Manchado arranged the original Main Theme we hear in the game itself, maybe we can convince him and/or Squad to make them available for fan works.

Edited by OrtwinS
formatting & notes, revised version

Excellent. That's a good base to work from.

At half notes, the chords under the main theme are

C C C C Bb F C C Bb F C C Bb

I've been experimenting and found this is quite nice:

C C Em Am7 Gm7 F/Bb C Am7 Gm7 F/Bb C C Bb6 (i.e. Gm/Bb)

The Em and Gm7 in particular sound regal to me. The second Am7-Gm7-F/Bb-C allows walking the base (playing octaves) around low-low-C, which sounds strong.

I've been trying different rhythms. Swings and Latin rhythms sound cool, but are wrong for the piece's tone. (I might try a jazz arrangement anyway.) I think it really needs a march; something like the opening to the Superman theme. I'll bet a percussionist could come up with something nifty. :D

For embellishments, passing F#s sound cool and spacey, blend well with any C turned into Cmaj7, Em or Am, and admit more dissonant transitions using major-minor scales and chords. Ascending and descending arpeggios that incorporate the tune seem to work well.

Again, nice work. This is fun to play with. :)

You are more 'couragous' to experiment with more extreme disonants.

I do PLAY dissonant music, but I wouldn't dare to experiment with it myself (improvisation has never been my strong suit, but some keep saying practice helps...).

My initial plan is to expand the (what I labeled as) 'Hopeful' section to a 'complete' 20+ measure intermezzo (going for dreamy & idyllic). And then add some sort of grandioso with more erh.. 'tensive'(?) conflict/battle (The overall thing has a 'heroic' atmosphere anyway).

If I dare I'll add a buildup between those pieces, so it will become a story: intro/welcome - naive/dreamy/paradise - stuff going wrong (insert dissonants here) - conflict/challenge - battle&victory (+possible 'open' outro, since this kind of thing never ends).

Note that 'conflict' and 'battle' does not imply violence, this is a techno-challenge, or a 'battle' against the hostile extremes of space-faring.

• 2 weeks later...
Too bad I don't play the piano. :(

Would you happen to have some KSP sheet music for the trumpet?

Sorry I missed your comment, I'll start working with renewed vigor on a trumpet version.

But since I'm unfamiliar to all options available (legato, portato, staccato, etc) I'm not sure if I'm capable of 'writing in' the proper nuances required to differentiate first and second half of the piece.

Sorry I missed your comment, I'll start working with renewed vigor on a trumpet version.

But since I'm unfamiliar to all options available (legato, portato, staccato, etc) I'm not sure if I'm capable of 'writing in' the proper nuances required to differentiate first and second half of the piece.

Thanks! :D

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.