(OLD) The Ultimate Jool-5 Challenge:land Kerbals on all moons and return in one big mission

Ziv

My Tylo lander had to be reworked to accommodate the engine rebalance. Does this still count as valid? The fuel tanks are technically clipped, but I took care to keep it "reasonable-looking" and not clip tanks more than maybe a third of the way into each other. The only reason it's this squished-up to begin with is so it takes up less cargo space, so it does work if I offset everything back out:

JKv6Kz4.png?1

...Well as long as we're still here, I have some questions:

- On recent pages it was announced that Ziv had retired, but OP says it is "reopened" with no date (although the "last edit" appears to be pre-1.0) - so is this still up in the air? Am I stupid? xD

- If this IS still open, then what's the general consensus on ISRU? Does, for example, a submission still count as Jeb's level if it fulfills the written requirements but needs to mine resources to make it back?

Edited by parameciumkid
derp?

Hi! I would like to know if it is ok to launch a spacecraft in Low kerbin orbit to retrieve the crew when they come back?
Its been done by others. Its not expressly in the rules but isn't against them either.

- - - Updated - - -

My Tylo lander had to be reworked to accommodate the engine rebalance. Does this still count as valid? The fuel tanks are technically clipped, but I took care to keep it "reasonable-looking" and not clip tanks more than maybe a third of the way into each other. The only reason it's this squished-up to begin with is so it takes up less cargo space, so it does work if I offset everything back out:

http://i.imgur.com/JKv6Kz4.png?1

...Well as long as we're still here, I have some questions:

- On recent pages it was announced that Ziv had retired, but OP says it is "reopened" with no date (although the "last edit" appears to be pre-1.0) - so is this still up in the air? Am I stupid? xD

- If this IS still open, then what's the general consensus on ISRU? Does, for example, a submission still count as Jeb's level if it fulfills the written requirements but needs to mine resources to make it back?

Some of us are keeping it going.

Your lander there has too much clipping for me. The ones around the engine don't bother me but the lander can is loaded with fuel :P

parzr: Congratulations, you have finished the JOOL-5 Challenge on Jebediah's Level!

Wow, that's a real station/outpost going around JOOL and landing on the moons, even with a rover! Outstanding, I really love it!

I can imagine that you had some hard time landing on Tylo and Vall with such a big lander and with such a low TWR!

Pretty nice mission, thank you for participating, and sorry that reviewing/posting it into the Hall of Fame it took so long! Cheers!

ShadowZone: Congratulations, you have finished the JOOL-5 on Jebediah's level!

That's an other HUGE ship! I really like that how the "Joolishka" looks similar to the Russian rockets! ;) And that cargo bay is just awesome! Really nice and elegant solution! The lander is a cool design too and I liked how you get the Science lab and the crew back to the surface of Kerbin at the end.

And I saw you put a hell of a work into those description and videos so big respect for that! Awesome mission, thank you for participating! You were the last one who achieved the now "historical" JOOL-5 Challenge. :)

• 2 weeks later...

wait, so there is a list of permitted AND prohibited part packs? so, can i use all the part mods not on the prohibited list or only the part mods on the permitted list? I'm confused.

EDIT: and with 1.0, a) are we allowed to use the stock ISRU system, and B) are mods like kethane and karbonite now allowed?

• 3 months later...
Hey, I did it:

http://imgur.com/a/uItJ5

Sequence was

Kerbin

Jool

Laythe

Tylo

Vall

Pol

Bop

Kerbin

The mother ship stayed at Pol while the lander went to Bop. Everything else should be self explanatory from the images.

Cheers,

EzBro

This thread was discontinued.

Yes but it was restarted for 1.0 here. EzBro, you should post your entry there.

• 1 year later...

I have a question about the "no clipping" rule; the image below shows a stack separator attached to the ion engine, but it's offset to conceal the engine inside it's hollow core, would this be allowed?

7 hours ago, Xyphos said:

I have a question about the "no clipping" rule; the image below shows a stack separator attached to the ion engine, but it's offset to conceal the engine inside it's hollow core, would this be allowed?

This is the old thread. The new one is linked in the OP

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.