KS-71 Whitebird

Golakka

88rjI.png

CRAFT FILE IS NOW AVAILIBLE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE

Where to start?

Hardly gets off the launchpad, handles like a truck, struggles to 10k at about 160m/s

Once you get her to 100k? Holy crap, what a machine.

Maximum recorded atmospheric speed (30,000m) 4457m/s (just shy of 10,000 odd MPH)

20 minutes of fuel at max burn.

Immeasurable flight time at cruising throttle (5% @ 30,000m)

Crusing altitude of aprox 300,000m

Very smooth handiling at cruising altitude.

91hli.jpg

Head on view.

oqhTc.jpg

Top Down view

G8q1d.png

Cruising at altitude

Craft File

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7HGAEFE6

Im new to making aircraft in KSP so any hints are welcome :)

Guest GroundHOG-2010

First I would like to say welcome to the forums.

Second I would like to point out that your altitude must at about 30,000m, not 300,000m like you say. It would also be 10,000m or 10km.

Very nice recreation of the SR-71.

But why two ASAS modules, you only need one!

Assuming I haven\'t mistaken one of them for anothe part!

What are those black props? on the front of the engines?

Also you really should hide the fuel transfer pipes an struts under the wings...

Any chance of releasing the craft file?

But why two ASAS modules, you only need one!

Assuming I haven\'t mistaken one of them for anothe part!

There\'s actually four (Explained below).

What are those black props? on the front of the engines?

Yawmaster ASAS modules.

Also you really should hide the fuel transfer pipes an struts under the wings...

The struts could also be placed in such a way that wing stability is almost unaffected at all (When compared to the current placement), by placing them from the edge of the engines onto the corner of the wing surface going inward.

Gonna do some tweaks to the airframe then ill upload at about 16:00 GMT

It is a lovely craft, you created.

An the real SR-71... Well words to describe it. 8) :o

I hope you dont take offence, but with you inspiration I have created my own SR-71.

Almost identical to your\'s.

1 ASAS, which oddly the ship oscilates too when activated.

An as I suggested the struts + Fuel lines are hidden underneath.

Also a secound set of flaps on the outer wings, as the real SR-71 have them, dont really thing it needs the extra lift however.

Still have to test wheels, as I enjoy landing Crashing just as much as flying.

As for flying, in low orbit, the ship is very stable an nearly flys very well will little input.

I\'ll also post craft files shortly, if Golakka, concents to allowing me to modify his ship design.

Golakka, thank you for the inspiration to recreate the SR-71.

The ASAS jitters are caused because the configuration for the module (Modules in this case) is unsuitable for the amount of weight you\'re trying to control. You can try an ASAS pack that uses several different variables for each of the modules until you can get the control surfaces to lock your position without overexerting itself.

I could recreate this design and use TiberDyne ASAS to see which module works best (It would also allow you to shed off the two C-7 ASAS modules on the aft section).

As an example, look at the SC-01 Harbinger, it uses two (Yes two, oh god the horror) TiberDyne Heavy ASAS modules, and the control surfaces have no jitter when active.

Edit:

Wrong module mentioned, craft uses Heavy variants.

Today Test Pilots:

Krazy Industries: Introduces the SR-71 WhiteBird.

Picture inbound...

With Special Thanks to Golakka, an his original KS-71 WhiteBird Design.

With 10 Years Minutes or Less of Research an Development + Company espionage.

Krazy Industries introduces the most advanced replica of the fabled SR-71 BlackBird, know to Kerbal kind.

Out Standing Performance:

PAS (Paper Aircraft Simulation) Certified.

155M/s at 300Meters.

Upto 30+ Minutes Flying Time at 100% Throttle.

Impossible to blow up engines at 100% Throttle.

Can Glide below 50M/s Secound

Extremely Agile Flight Characteristics.

Capable of Sub-Orbital, an Orbital Flight.

Capable of been equiped with Landed Wheels (Work In Progress)

Capable of been fitted with WASP Missiles + Devastator Rail Gun.

Krazy Industies Advisements:

C7 Flight Parts Required for operation.

SR-71 is equiped with ASAS System. (Suffers from slight oscillation effect) - Sick bags are optional extras.

Landing or Ejecting are Strongly advised against Impossible.

Sustained Flight at 100%, Might result in: No Fuel Situation.

Fly SR-71 with a Joystick! (WASD) control is Not Recommended.

Do Not BBQ Food with C7AX-301 Engines - At least invite Krazy Industries Staff to BBQ First for Safety BBQ Briefing.

All Suggestion an Comments welcome.

If you\'re interested and don\'t mind the use of a second mod pack for this, the same ASAS module I described previously (Also being placed in the same location as the Yawmasters were on the OP screenshots) removes the oscillation from this craft entirely, allowing you to use a different part where the C-7 ASAS module currently rests (Like the Mk-2\'s RCS tank).

Unless you wish to have some RCS ports on the craft for stratospheric maneuvering, any other Mk-2 part that isn\'t a fuel tank will be for the most part, redundant.

If you\'re interested and don\'t mind the use of a second mod pack for this, the same ASAS module I described previously (Also being placed in the same location as the Yawmasters were on the OP screenshots) removes the oscillation from this craft entirely, allowing you to use a different part where the C-7 ASAS module currently rests (Like the Mk-2\'s RCS tank).

Unless you wish to have some RCS ports on the craft for stratospheric maneuvering, any other Mk-2 part that isn\'t a fuel tank will be for the most part, redundant.

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, as I primarily a purist to Harvesters Vanilla parts, its rare I even experiment with mod packs.

Now I am not implying that Mod packs are bad, I see some ships that look beutiful an huge thanks to mods.

However the C7 Mod pack is a rare exception, to be installed on my pc.

Deffinitly no RCS packs on my ship however other members are welcome to use mine, as inspiration to add RCS to there equivalent SR-71 design.

After all the real SR-71 is only capable of 85000Ft, roughly a Sub-orbital flight.

PS: Working on a RX-71 with 4 engines...

Tests are particularily interesting...

Deffinitly no RCS packs on my ship however other members are welcome to use mine, as inspiration to add RCS to there equivalent SR-71 design.

The reason I went with the RCS tank was because it\'s the same length as the Mk-2 ASAS module, which you won\'t need if you use the two TiberDyne Heavy ASAS modules (As the differences in parameters cause further oscillation).

You could use the Mk-2 Decoupler, but that would be silly since all you\'d do is make the cockpit pop off if you hit the stage button (However with radial parachutes I do make use of the decoupler on my own aircraft, should the main body suffer catastrophic damage).

Essentially the RCS tank is just there to fill space (I only added the RCS ports later to see how it performed), as the half-length fuel tank is about twice the length, while my goal was keeping the dimensions the same.

Currently Uploading a tweaked KS-71, More streamlined and using the Tyberdine SAS modules to improve stability at low altitudes.

Also i must commend Seanoog on his very nice reverse engineered clone :)

Certain Eastern european and asian governments would be impressed.

In other news, Started development and flight testing of a 4 engined version named 'KS-71-4' in an attempt to improve low level velocity and adding a larger controll surface aera to improve handiling.

KS-71-4 Program.

Designed to improve sluggish handiling and speed at altitudes under 5000m.

Required to maintain or enhance exemplary high speed and altitude abilities.

Possibility to mount light payloads due to increaced wing surface aera and power.

Flight test report on the KS-71-4 (Mod 0) Conducted at 20:30 07/01/2012.

Very stable takeoff due to increaced weight, slower than anticipated climb to 5000m.

Aircraft stable 50% throttle at 5000m, Throttle to 100% caused severe buffeting in the outer wing sections.

Disabled SAS to attempt corrective measures causing extreme loss of controll resulting in high speed flatspin.

100% Damage to aircraft and loss of three test pilots.

Classified Development Photographs

1115i.png

Recomended Design changes to KS-71-4 (Mod 1) to mount engines closer to the wing root and to explore the possibilty of a light RCS System for spin recovery.

Flight test report on the KS-71-4 (Mod 1) Conducted at 20:50 07/01/2012.

Incredibly unstable takeoff resulting in a climbing spiral to aproximatley 1500ft

Attempted to regain controll of the aircraft at arround 1700ft, Placed aircraft in level flight.

Upon increacing throttle over 80%, KS-74-4 (Mod 1) pitched violently upwards tearing off outermost controll surfaces and causing aircraft to dive towards the ground.

Warning: Graphic Images of Ks-74-4 (Mod 1) final seconds as captured from a Arkbird chase aircraft.

FaRGv.jpg

Recomended Design changes to KS-71-4 (Mod 2)

Mount engines onto the main body, attach wings to the nacelles.

Edit: Due to my extreme lack of experience with 4 engined spaceplanes, Im postponing the devolpment of the KS-71-4 Program untill further notice.

Any tips with 4 engined spaceplane construction is more than welcome

Flight test report on the KS-71-4 (Mod 1) Conducted at 20:50 07/01/2012.

Incredibly unstable takeoff resulting in a climbing spiral to aproximatley 1500ft

Attempted to regain controll of the aircraft at arround 1700ft, Placed aircraft in level flight.

Upon increacing throttle over 80%, KS-74-4 (Mod 1) pitched violently upwards tearing off outermost controll surfaces and causing aircraft to dive towards the ground.

Warning: Graphic Images of Ks-74-4 (Mod 1) final seconds as captured from a Arkbird chase aircraft.

FaRGv.jpg

Recomended Design changes to KS-71-4 (Mod 2)

Mount engines onto the main body, attach wings to the nacelles.

Edit: Due to my extreme lack of experience with 4 engined spaceplanes, Im postponing the devolpment of the KS-71-4 Program untill further notice.

Any tips with 4 engined spaceplane construction is more than welcome

lmao. ;P

Again great work Golakka.

You\'d be surprised how simular my flight results where for my SX-71 (4 Engine Varient)

Fine at low speeds an low altidudes cruising, had a tendency to want to lift nose up violently, but was just controllable with C7 ASAS system.

On ASAS Di-activation, the ship was completely uncontrollable - resulting in imminent Death. >:(

Krazy Industries: intends to modify craft, two contain extra engines, but maintain relativly accurate plane design too SR-71 BlackBird.

D-21 Drone will be implemented at later date - Company esponage has been difficult an slow at present...

Will upload a plane once I have more sucess.

Galakka. I have strongly considered, ie early testing.

Of including 4 engines just like yours, but staging the two inner ones to fire normally. An the two outer ones to active on requirement.

because, I found it was the extra trust from 2 said outer engines that causes the difficult flying - death scenarios.

PS: can you kindly upload the file for the Tyberdine SAS Module. I\'d certainly give it a go.

PSS: Friendly competition is fun. ;)