[0.23.5] StretchySRB: A StretchyTanks Continuation v9 Final Pre-PP edition 3/21/14

NathanKell

I've given it a try, but sadly failed a bit. Getting that gold shiny look is almost impossible...T_T

screenshot18_zps4900d247.jpg~original

Will keep working on it though, I think I can make that with more trial and error..

Odd. I don't see it in my career. Is it some far-flung node or do I have an installation problem?

If you have already unlocked the nodes where these parts are inside, you need to review these nodes and purchase these parts manually. (currently the purchase is free of charge though :P)

Anyone else having problems with not being able to adjust the SRB burn time? I mean I can change it in the VAB but when I'm in flight it still seems to try and burn for 60 seconds. I'm using version 5, does anyone know if this has some sort of incompatibility with any other mods? I'm wondering if that may be the issue.

Here's a list of mods I'm using.

KerbalAlarmClock (2.6.4.0)
Engineer Redux (0.6.1.4)
Protractor (2.4.3)
Actions on the Fly (1.1.1)
RCS BuildAid (0.4)
Navball Docking Alignment Indicator (0)
Editor Extensions (0.6)
MechJeb (2.1)
Targetron (1.2.2)
ModuleManager (1.5)
Enhanced Navball (1.2)
SelectRoot (Oct17)
PreciseNode (0.5)
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (1.4.2)
GPWS (1.2)
Kethane (0.8)
Ferram Aerospace Research (0.10)
Kerbal ISP Difficulty Scaler (1.2)
Deadly Reentry Continued (3)
KerbalAttachmentSystem (0.4.4)
Procedural Fairings (2.4.2)
Procedural Dynamics (0.5)
StretchySRB (5)
Engine Ignitor (3.0.1)
Radial Stack Separator (Aug01)
EVA Parachutes (Oct26)
New SRB Sounds (1.0)
Radial Drogue Parachute (1.0)

KIDS may be an issue. Try without it.

Dante80, those last two shots...I actually had to look again to verify they were KSP. Very nice!

You may want to post the lossless versions of your textures, though--JPG is notorious for losing details.

KIDS may be an issue. Try without it.

So I went into the KIDS settings and changed it from "FAR to Real Life, Adjusted" to "Stock" and it did completely resolve the issue. Although this is very unfortunate because I would like to play with both mods, I'll tweak the KIDS settings and see if I can come to a solution that way.

EDIT: Right so I've narrowed down the issue some more, it appears that it's the "Thrust Varies with Isp" option in the KIDS settings that's causing problems, I'll check and see if changing any of the sub-settings will fix it.

EDIT: Alright so it seems no matter what the sub-settings of the "Thrust Varies with Isp" option are set to the problem persists.

Edited by CoriW

If you have already unlocked the nodes where these parts are inside, you need to review these nodes and purchase these parts manually. (currently the purchase is free of charge though :P)

Yes but what nodes are they? I have much of the tree unlocked already and it isn't in my visible portion.

Sure. I used JPG mainly to conserve some more ram.

http://www./download/76ieaa7hkfi5pq9/textures.zip

When making the .cfg, remember to set autorepeat on atlas and copernicus, but not on the mu texture.

If anyone is interested, here is also a simple texture for the solid first stage of RS-24 Yars (SS-29).

screenshot8_zpsb11f0e16.jpg~original

screenshot9_zps18cebfef.jpg~original

Edited by Dante80

Dante80: remember that space-on-disk has no relationship to space-in-RAM. All textures are converted to DDS (or linux equivalent) for storage in RAM, and the size is constant per number of pixels no matter what the texture looks like: 0.5 bytes per pixel for textures with no alpha, and 1 byte per pixel for textures with an alpha channel.

Also, for that gold foil texture, could you add a normal map? That would really improve the appearance I think, make it look actually crumpled.

Regarding that bug: I'll take a look.

Hehe I didn't know that, thought that there was a correlation between texture filesize and KSP memory problems.

Regarding the normal map, something like this? I am not proficient with height/displace/normal maps unfortunately..Also, how can I preview it in-game? T_T

Can confirm KIDS thrust/isp correction is incompatible with the stretchy SRB's themselves. Any workaround?

On my machine it defaults to stock-ish thrust (50kN) and the SRB's have a ridiculous burn time.

And a question, I think its a bug.

When reverting to VAB from a flight or loading a ship/subassembly, I get this optical bug.

screenshot11_zpsfe4cff41.jpg~original

Any ideas why that happens?

Yes, that's the same bug I was running into when attaching stretchy SRBs to the procedural fuel tanks radially. In my case, it was happening with the big hydraulic decoupler.

Also, they move further away every time you revert.

I installed this but it's not working (I installed MFS 3.2 for it as well). Stretchy tanks work, the modular tanks work too but when I add a stretchy SRB they are grey even when the mouse is over them. They don't respond to any resizing keys and there's a graphic like they're firing.

And another suggestion. Was testing the AIES aerospace pack. This pack has a cool feature where you are able to stack in symmetry multiple engines under a single tank. I have no idea if the module properties exist in the engines or in the tank itself, but if its the latter then it would be really nice if stretchy tanks could do the same thing. Not only will we have the possibility to replicate engine clusters better, but also it will hugely expand the choices we can make (especially if you factor in MFS).

Is something like that viable?

And another suggestion. Was testing the AIES aerospace pack. This pack has a cool feature where you are able to stack in symmetry multiple engines under a single tank. I have no idea if the module properties exist in the engines or in the tank itself, but if its the latter then it would be really nice if stretchy tanks could do the same thing. Not only will we have the possibility to replicate engine clusters better, but also it will hugely expand the choices we can make (especially if you factor in MFS).

Is something like that viable?

I am not addressing exactly your issue here. But there is something that is readily available to do: grab the EditorExtensions plugin, which allows you to turn on surface attachment in VAB for any part (among other useful features). This way you can make engines clusters however you want, without the need of having a pre-built adaptor part.