[CLOSED] Kerbin and Beyond: a Maturing Space Program

Northstar1989

Btw, a few pics of some orbital maneuvers I performed a while back with the Blackhawk Mk6 to move it to a lower Munar orbit:

0jtzrDf.png

00xe4aj.png

MP8SflO.png

I'd like to remind everyone that the plan with this vessel is to circularize it in a lower orbit, refuel, and then send it on a transfer orbit to Duna. Once there, the Blackhawk (Mk6) will perform an aerocapture, possibly an orbital rendezvous to transfer most of its leftover fuel to a tanker or space station, and then a direct reentry into the Dunar atmosphere.

Once there, it will land (at at least 2500 meters- to meet the challenge requirements for "Flying Duna"), autosave, and then likely take off again immediately to rendezvous with whatever other ground crews I already have on the surface (hopefully by the Blackhawk's arrival, I will have at least established some crew quarters near the future site of my main Duna Airbase in that valley near "sea-level"- possibly a deployable runway as well. If not, I'll probably have at least sent down a small lander for soil samples and Science Points- though thanks to the 0.23 update, I'll have to establish a stock laboratory in orbit if I hope to make those kinds of Science Points sustainable...)

Eventually, when the Blackhawk is done with its mission, it will load up 2 Kerbals of my choosing (probably the two of the stupidest and most cowardly Kerbals I sent to Duna- as I prefer to keep the brave and intelligent ones on-the-job), refuel on the surface (via KAS winch), and return to Kerbin to prove SSTDABK capability.

- Northstar -

Edited by Northstar1989

Haven't forgotten about my second Ultra-Long Range Argon Probe either. Here it is on its transfer burn to the Duna system- as I've decided to use Duna as a gravity-assist for this probe as well... Not only can it provide potentially TWO gravity assists (one from Duna, one from Ike- if it's lined up correctly), it's also a convenient place to make a second burn, closer to the target, to put my probes on a trajectory straight for their final destinations taking advantage of the Oberth effect (less of an effect than if these adjustments were made near Kerbin on a straight transfer burn- but the gravity assist of an entire planet is nothing to sneeze at...)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also, there's one other very important reason I'm routing through the Duna system, even though I'm not really sure if it'll save me much Delta-V (unless I use an Aerobrake to *accelerate* the probes relative to the sun), or may even end up costing me in net if I botch the maneuvers: the probes also provide a convenient emergency-backup power supply for the Duna colony ships if it becomes apparent that none of their power supplies will work correctly (all three rely on KSP-Interstellar or NearFuture nuclear reactors- none of which are still working exactly as intended after several updates...)

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

I also decided to send one last LiquidFuel tanker that I had sitting in a parking orbit around Kerbin on a Duna transfer... I figure I can never send too many supplies- or potential backup power supplies- to ensure mission success in establishing a Duna colony. Like all my other tankers, its utility extends beyond the fuel it contains- the tanker itself can also be recycled for RocketParts to help construct orbital/surface fuel depots and mining/refining installations on the Dunar surface...

I'm running out of vessels to send off to Duna and Munar orbit- so soon, I'll start constructing my Munar base, and then speed up time and begin orbiting my numerous colony and support ships around Duna...

Regards,

Northstar

I have discovered the wonders of combining Thorium reactors with Thermal Turbojets and RAPIER engines!

And, designed THIS as a result. I call her the 'Raven':

Those images were from a relatively successful test-flight, until, unfortunately, I ran into a bug present in the thermal turbojet logic for KSP-Interstellar 0.90:

As you'll notice, the engines are producing VERY uneven thrust. This began with still around 50% IntakeAtm remaining, and the IntakeAtm is only low in the screenshots due to the spin the plane consequentially entered...

I've updated KSP-I to 0.9.1.1, and this MIGHT fix the bug: but I wouldn't bet your life on it...

Regardless, using Thorium rather than Uranium reactors increased the thrust of my thermal turbojets by roughly 50%, at the cost of requiring greatly increased maintenance (Actinide wastes build up much faster than with Uranium)- but I should be able to design MUCH more effective spaceplanes utilizing these reactors, and push the limits with them on Duna like never before...

Regards,

Northstar

EDIT: Bug was not fixed in KSP-I 0.9.1, but is fixed in 0.9.2, which I now have installed. I look forward to posting on the "Flight of the Raven" soon!

Edited by Northstar1989

Took at the view-count recently, and I am EXTREMELY IMPRESSED by the number of people at least viewing this thread. Hopefully they're also reading all the way through.

As a result, expect another special roleplay-heavy post on at least one of my Duna landings- which aren't all that far off at this point... (I just need to finish consolidating my position near the Mun, and get the beginnings of a more permanent base down so I don't feel like I'm abandoning my Kerbals who touched down on the now-obsolete Munar Science Lab...)

I don't mean to spam you guys with posts about my spaceplane development, but it's been a continuing side-project of mine while I focus on getting my flotilla to Duna (which, I realized, won't be nearly as hard as I thought- a recent check on the vessels to add Kerbal Alarm Clock nodes for their Duna SOI transitions reminded me that the electricity from running the NERVA engines on the models relying on NearFuture reactors should provide more than enough electricity to keep them running until a stable Duna orbit is achieved...)

And, sometimes, you learn more from your failures than your successes. Take, for instance, my latest test-flight of the Raven:

She flew fine until reaching a bit over 10,000 meters- at which point she began losing stability as the SAS was saturated, and eventually went nose-up and into a series of rolls and dives that culminated in the loss of both thermal turbojet engines... (as can be seen in the last two images of the album)

However, that caused me to notice two things:

(1) The airframe flew nearly perfectly as a glider with just the RAPIER engine attached. This confirmed my strong suspicions that the problem was that she was a tail-dragger due to the combination of asymmetric drag (remember, in stock KSP, drag is proportional to mass- so your engines generate a TON of drag... pun intended...) and a Center of Lift that was too far forward to compensate due to the bugginess of Procedural Dynamics not adjusting the Center of Lift *AT ALL* for swept (like in my design) vs. straight wings... (I initially thought it was inverting the Center of Lift- but it turns out it just doesn't move it back if the wings are swept back...)

(2) The damaged Raven showed it could still maintain a fine climb rate (and likely a high altitude ceiling) with just the 50kN of thrust from a single throttled-back RAPIER engine. Additionally, before the thing went nose-up, it had become obvious the limiting factor on the altitude ceiling was going to be the intake area, rather than the lift-mass/drag ratios of the craft (which were quite impressive- Procedural Dynamics seems to model aerodynamic forces increasing as the square of continuous wing area, like in real-life, by altering the lift coefficient depending on wing size... GREATLY rewarding the Raven's huge wings...)

By the way, here's one more shot of the Raven at 18,000 meters with a still VERY nice rate of climb (I expect to make at least 27,000 meters at full throttle), and throttled to less thrust than the twin thermal turbojets (T3J's anyone? I think I'm going to have to make that term a "thing"...) could provide at a lower altitude... (their thrust would have been even higher at this altitude) What all this says to me is that I need to make some design refinements...

pa8Vw4n.png

Here are my ideas:

(1) Consider moving the thermal turbojets to an over-wing position (an under-wing design will only make the tail-dragging worse, and have issues with colliding into bumpy terrain on rough landings) or one on the top of the fuselage further forward, since Procedural Dynamics has insisted on placing the Center of Lift much further forward than it should be...

(2) Consider whether I really need 2 thermal turbojets, or if just one would be superior. Two TTJ's may provide better thrust at lower altitude, perhaps even in the ranges relevant to low-altitude flying on Duna- but they will also just add extra weight if the plane can reach the altitude ranges where the same thrust could be achieved by routing all the intake air to just one thermal turbojet (for this reason, as well as avoiding asymmetric flame-outs, most of my high-altitude plane designs featured just one engine. I had no need for this design strategy with the OP'd KSP-I atmospheric intakes with 4x the area of a Ram intake and no drag- but now that they are gone, I may be wise to go back to this weight and lag-saving design principle.) The extra weight will also make landing more dangerous and difficult by increasing the wingload...

I'll soon be turning out a Raven Mk2 after I decide whether I'm better off with two top-mounted TTJ's (and perhaps a couple more intakes- I'm currently at 1 inline and 3 radials for two engines- so maybe a 3:1 ratio with 2 more inline intakes...) or one tail-mounted TTJ. I'll have a (better) working model for your guys' enjoyment soon either way!

One last thing: let me know if you guys want the craft files for any of my designs (you can post here, or PM me), rocket OR spaceplane. I'd be more than happy to share them. Just keep in mind I'm running quite a few mods, and most of my designs include parts from KSP-Interstellar, Novapunch2 (struts on spaceplanes, engines as well on rockets), and B9 Aerospace at the very least...

Regards,

Northstar

WHOA!

Guess I was right about the high altitude ceiling on the Raven's airframe minus the T3J's, by the way. Here she is at maximum cruising altitude: OVER 33,000m! (on mostly full fuel tanks- but with no Oxidizer- I dumped it all after losing the T3J's- as I decided I was NOT going to try and take this thing to orbit without them... Guess I should have reconsidered- still a useful spaceplane in its own right even without TTJ's for long-term use on Duna...)

WDIpVAF.png

This design performs on a level with my very best high-altitude jet-powered craft desings: so at least I know the basic airframe works exceptionally well before I slap back on the thermal turbojets... (which should provide additional thrust at no extra cost beyond the engines themselves if they work correctly- as IntakeAtm is an entirely separate and parallel resource to IntakeAir, provided by the same existing intakes)

New (more stable) designs will be coming out soon. I'll probably stick with over-wing Twin Thermal Turbojets, though, as it would allow me to slap on additional inline intakes and precoolers without exceeding a 3:1 intake ratio (usually the intake limit I set on myself to avoid cheaply exploiting the intake mechanics- though occasionally I go 4:1 if only 1 is an inline or it's all-radial...) I noticed with the RAPIER engine that thrust was not even limited by available air supply- it was limited by the threat of overheating due to the KSP-I modeled compressive heating of the air from the radial intakes... (which do not benefit from precoolers)

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

I present the Raven Mk2, and a rather unfortunate test-flight that both proved its orbital capabilities, and failed miserably at the same time... Here are the 13 images of the unlucky flight:

I learned 3 things from this flight:

(1) RAPIER engines are suffocated by having too many open air intakes when in ClosedCycle mode. In order to obtain anywhere near maximum thrust, I need to close the radial intakes on this design to get the RAPIER's full thrust (175 kN with closed intakes vs about 40 kN without). I am unclear if this results from stock or KSP-I engine rules...

(2) The thrust three stock RAM intakes and several radial intakes allow for a pair of Thorium-powered Thermal Turbojets at 32,000 meters is absolutely pathetic. This presents potential problems for the turbojet altitude ceiling of this craft on Duna... (although it will definitely be able to escape Duna's atmosphere as a spaceplane, refueling in low Dunar orbit will probably be necessary)

(3) Re-opening the radial intakes on this design at high altitude is a VERY, VERY BAD IDEA (it leads to the Twin Thermal Turbojets EXPLODING due to overheating, as the radial intakes have no precoolers)

Nevertheless, although this attempt resulted in running out of Oxidizer before escaping Kerbin's atmosphere due to wasting a large part of the vessel's Oxidizer in running the RAPIER engine in ClosedCycle mode with the radial intakes open (this actually produced LESS thrust than running it in AirBreathing mode at the same altitude- about 40 kN vs. 48 kN), it became extremely obvious that with careful management of fuel utilization, the raven Mk2 can *just barely* achieve stable Kerbin Orbit (launching a refueling tanker will prove necessary).

I look forward to presenting the first successful orbital attempt with this craft soon. In the meantime, adieu, and fly courageously.

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Test flights with the Raven Mk2 haven't been going as smoothly as I hoped...

It turns out that there are quite a few ways to accidentally blow up the spaceplane's engines, including turning the RAPIER engines back to AirBreathing Mode BEFORE re-opening the RAM Intakes... This resulted in a rather unfortunate accident- but at least it did yield some nice pics... (right-clicking shortly after the accident revealed that a very small fraction of air still forces its way in even when the intakes are closed- but the precoolers remain inactive, and this fraction is superheated enough to explode the engines...)

Unfortunately, this now means two of my Kerbals are stranded in space in a damaged ship of uncertain stability during re-entry flight (still symmetrical, but the Center of Lift might be too far off now) So, I'll be sending a rescue flight soon- possibly from the surfacr, or maybe from the Valkyrie Crew Recover Vehicle- which is already in orbit over Kerbin...

Regards,

Northstar

I present the final (successful) version of the Raven Mk2. This launch will also be used for another challenge run in the Flying Duna Challenge...

Not only is the Raven Mk2 a SSTDABK spaceplane- it is also my highest-altitude plane when relying on jet and thermal turbojet power only as well... (with an altitude ceiling of around 34,000 meters). I look forward to seeing how she performs on Duna (where the RAPIER engine will obviously be worthless in AirBreathing Mode, but the reduced gravity and planetary radius should greatly improve Twin Thermal Turbojet performance...)

Regards,

Northstar

I never leave Kerbals behind- and the failed Raven test-flight that nevertheless made it to orbit (and thus was not reverted: the damaged vessel will make for a fine bit of scrap and leftover fuel for my orbital recycling operations- the Scrapper Ship currently being docked with the 350 km space station) is yet another demonstration of that point. I utilized the Valkyrie Crew Recovery Vehicle/ space-taxi system for recovering the damaged vessel's crew- precisely the kind of mission it was designed for:

The intention here is to shuttle the two brave Kerbonauts to my 350 km space station- which I've decided to scrap/recycle in the long-run for a version with even lower part-count, at the expense of the KSP-I labs and power-generation system: the latter of which I found would require deployable radiators to work properly- and I have no intention of using due to the collision hazard and extremely low forces necessary to break them (never featured in this thread, but I once had a *KERBONAUT* accidentally collide into one of the Early Spacedock's deployable radiators at extremely low velocity on spacewalk returning from attaching a KAS winch to a nearby vessel. The radiator shattered into a million pieces- but luckily I quicksaved right before the spacewalk...)

I also have begun maneuvering the first of my LFO tankers into position around the Mun. Once both are in stable orbits, I will maneuver whichever is in position first to dock with the Blackhawk-Mk6 (which is currently in a parking orbit of 500 km above the Mun- selected as the 'Target' above), and after refueling it will finally set it on its transfer orbit to Duna. The 'Raven Mk2' will also await refueling- but in its case I decided to launch it straight from low-altitude Kerbin orbit: due to its higher vacuum TWR than any of my previous SSTDABK spaceplane designs (when utilizing both the RAPIER and Orbital Achievement Device), as well as how far Duna *already* is from an ideal transfer position... (a tiny bit *PAST* closest approach by the time the Raven makes its transfer)

Regards,

Northstar

EDIT: Also worth pointing out- the Raven experiences quite a bit less vacuum lag than the Blackhawk Mk6- apparently due to it only having two (giant) control surfaces instead of the Blackhawk's eight control surfaces. This makes precise transfers from low-altitude Kerbin orbit much more feasible...

Edited by Northstar1989

OK, so just a heads-up: I've decided it best to create a new thread entitled "Kerbin and Beyond: Colonization" that continues this storyline once my first Kerbals make it to Duna... This thread has simply gotten too long by this point, and I think it's the eventual colonization of Duna that most people have been waiting for...

Anyways, I circularized my first LFO-tanker, and the second one has entered the Mun's SOI...

Tanker #1:

Tanker #2:

It looks like Tanker #2 will be the first in position to rendezvous with the Blackhawk Mk6...

Meanwhile, the Valkyrie is en-route to my 350 km space station with my two brave Kerbonauts from the damaged Raven Mk2:

JfOKhJB.png

Note also the approaching alarms for my Duna Flotilla's impending arrival at its destination...

DA3ctYO.png

And, I also remembered I have a Kerbal who's been sitting in the Microwave Power Station's service module for quite a while. Time to get him out of there... (soon)

QigQUtD.png

Finally, here's an image of the 350 km space station and the docked Scrapper Ship. I'll be needing to send the Scrapper Ship to salvage the damaged Raven Mk2 soon...

I plan to unload the Kerbal onboard the Scrapper Ship and one of the station crew members to the Valkyrie's re-entry pod for a return to Kerbin. Meanwhile, I will swap one of the two Kerbals from the Raven to the 350 km station, and load the other to the service module of the Valkyrie for an eventual transfer to Munar orbit- where the Valkyrie will refuel, re-equip with an enhanced (with extra parachutes and a small rocket motor) reentry pod for use in thinner atmospheres, take on two more crew members, and begin a transfer of three Kerbonauts to Duna... The Scrapper Ship will then have an empty seat to pick up the Kerbal from the Microwave Power Station.

eNliKal.png

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

So, after a bit of wrangling with EVA's, I transferred Chadlas Kerman to the 350 km space station, Lury and (the) Bill Kerman to the Valkyrie's reentry pod, and Aldgee Kerman to the Valkyrie's service module:

Of course, after all that messing around with long-distance EVA's to save fuel on attempting actual soft-docking, I realized the Valkyrie didn't actually have enough fuel left without refueling to return its re-entry pod to Kerbin and still circularize its orbit afterwards (it would have enough to raise its periapsis back above the atmosphere, but would run out of fuel in doing so and be stuck in an elliptical orbit).

SO, I will be docking the Valkyrie with the space station after all, refueling it, and THEN after returning the two Kerbals in the re-entry pod to Kerbin transferring to the Mun to pick up two more Kerbals, additional fuel, and a new re-entry pod before departing for Duna... I also still need to launch another LFO tanker to refuel the Raven Mk2 (I'll use one of the manned variants I developed earlier so I won't have to develop a new tanker just yet, and so the two pilots can top out the 350 km station's 4-Kerbal crew capacity.) Sorry for all the delays guys/girls... Anyways, the long-distance EVA's at least made for some nice pictures.

Regards,

Northstar

Got stuff to do IRL right now, so might be a bit longer before I actually refuel the Blackhawk Mk6 and send it to Duna... (also, as you can see from the pictures, the LFO tanker will also need to fix its inclination a bit before or during the rendezvous) But, soon enough I'll get that done, finish the Valkyrie's mission (as described above), and get the raven refueled so I can send it off to Duna as well...

Anyways, I circularized the LFO tanker, and refueled the Valkyrie. Here are the images:

OXjjgYR.png

I'll be finishing these last few missions, recycling the damaged Raven Mk2 and obsolete 350 km space station, and shipping every last bit of RocketParts and fuel available to either the Mun or Duna soon enough... Then, it'll just be a matter of my long-awaited colonization of the Duna, and less-awaited construction of a sustainable Mun outpost...

I hope you guys have enjoyed this thread so far! Have fun with KSP, and I'll catch you all on the flip-side!

Regards,

Northstar

Dang!

I had forgotten just how *HUGE* my launch platform was for my Heavy LFO Tanker. No wonder I wanted to move my hub of operations to the lower gravity and thinner/nonexistent atmospheres of Duna and the Mun...

5QJtuSJ.png

Well, anyways, I got the Heavy LFO Tanker into orbit to refuel the Raven Mk2- though I forgot the optimal staging times since it's been so long since I launched one of these into orbit (in real-life time)...

I also realized something after dumping the bottom stage at extra-atmospheric altitudes (see the final image)- with a slight re-design to move a *little* more of the fuel below the orbital booster (middle) stage, I could essentially turn this rocket into a rocket-SSTO (minus the SRB's). That would more than DOUBLE the dry-mass I would be bringing into orbit with each launch, with a very small marginal cost in fuel. The bottom stage could then be dumped in low, stable Kerbin orbits, and be recycled by my scrapper ship for large amounts of additional RocketParts at a low cost...

Kind of reminds me of how it was proposed SEVERAL times that NASA do something similar to bring the Hydrogen-Oxygen fuel tanks for the Space Shuttles into stable Earth orbits, more than doubling the solid-mass orbital payload of each launch, and allowing recycling of the tanks into the backbone of a large space station or something else useful- but rejected the idea several times out of stubbornness... UNLIKE NASA, I *will* be listening to the laws of economics- whenever you can get a large benefit at a small marginal cost, DO IT!

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

OK, so I added a bit more fuel capacity to the lowermost stage of the Heavy LFO Tanker. If it turns out not to be enough to get it to orbit, I'll just try to remember to transfer a bit of fuel down from the middle stage once I'm cruising to the edge of the atmosphere during ascent...

Regardless, I finally refueled the 'Raven Mk2', and will be sending it off for Duna very soon! Also, while I was conducting the refueling operation, I noticed one of the Kerbals on board the fuel tanker (intended as additional/fresh crew for the 350 km space station) was actually both smarter and more courageous than the pilot of the Rave Mk2. So I swapped the pilot of the Raven Mk2... (I kept the Raven's co-pilot/navigator, as he was superior to the other crew member on board the fuel tanker) The new Raven pilot's name is 'Bartgel Kerman'

I then proceeded to rendezvous the fuel tanker with my 350 km space station, transferred the fuel and Kerbals aboard, undocked it, redocked it directly to the Heavy Scrapper Ship (which was also docked with the 350 km space station) when I realized I had forgotten to transfer off the Monopropellant, and then after undocking it one last time, recycled the fuel tanker for RocketParts to stock the 350 km space station with (eventually all the RocketParts will be getting shipped to the Munar Spacedock- and the 350 km space station scrapped. It just makes more sense to launch one of my heavy fuel tankers, and then send it onward to the Munar Spacedock with its remaining fuel, whenever I need to refuel a vessel in LKO...)

Finally, I set the Valkyrie's re-entry/recovery pod on a sub-atmospheric trajectory to recover Bill and Lury like I discussed before, and plotted the transfer to Munar orbit (where it will pick up two more Kerbals from the Munar Spacedock, and then begin a Dunar transfer)- which I will be carrying out and reporting on soon... That's enough for one post though.

I hope you guys have been enjoying this so far, despite progress being slow. Soon comes the good stuff though- the arrival of the Duna flotilla at its destination, and of the SSTDABK spaceplanes after they refuel (in the case of the Blackhawk) and each make their transfer burns...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

OK, so first of all, I set the Valkyrie on its way to the Mun:

CdaowXt.png

Then, I refocused on the Raven to plot its Duna transfer burn, and EEK!

cGMpexg.png

Somehow, in my carelessness, I managed to not top off the Raven's fuel tanks all the way (only about 3/4 of maximum Oxidizer). But more importantly, for some reason MechJeb is calculating it only has 847 Delta-V using its most efficient engine with the partial fuel load...

I know that CAN'T be right, because it took it a LOT more Delta-V than that just to get it to orbit from its 34 km max cruising altitude (with jet-only power), and I didn't leave *THAT* much empty space in the fuel tanks... I'm also not aware of having installed any updates to the game or mods that should have affected the Delta-V budget- so I'm really not sure why the calculations are THAT far off...

I'll let you guys know what happens from here, but for the meantime I'm just going to be sending the Raven to the Mun for another refueling stop there, until I can figure out just what's going on... Hopefully the Delta-V calculations will correct once I start burning the engines... Otherwise, I'm going to need to perform the rather difficult maneuver or setting it in a highly elliptical (comet-like) orbit around Kerbin, and then refueling it a second time THERE via fuel tanker before setting off for Duna if I want to make use of such a sub-optimal transfer window... (Duna is currently passing closest approach)

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Turns out the Delta-V figures WERE right. I guess I saved a lot more fuel than I thought with the huge wings and airbreathing engines (which I kept using as long as possible)...

Regardless, the 'Raven Mk2' DOES have enough Delta-V to get to Duna- I'm just going to have to be, errr, a lot more careful than I thought about how I use its Delta-V to get there. That means, I may have to go for a direct re-entry when I reach Duna, as the vessel might not have enough Delta-V to establish a stable orbit around the planet when it gets there, and I *WILL* need to make best use of the Oberth effect, and possibly a Minmus gravity-assist. Finally, although it's a lot like trying to hit one bullet with another bullet, I might be wise to try and refuel the thing in a highly elliptical orbit around Kerbin or even en-route to Duna, as a direct re-entry really is a risky proposition...

Anyways, here are a few images of my refueling the Raven at 350 km:

Also, I captured a nice picture of the Scrapper Ship alongside the Microwave Power Station while picking up the poor Kerbal who had been stuck crammed into a tiny little workstation in the service module there for at least a couple days...

mMf4sO9.png

Enjoy!

Regards,

Northstar

Mini-update: The Raven departs for the Mun:

Also, just an FYI: I highly recommend you guys check out the Ribbon Generator (http://ribbons.cgagnier.ca/index.php) if you haven't already... As you can see, my posts now all show the ribbons I've earned in any of my saves thus far (the permanent manned Jool station was established just before a universe crash ruined an earlier save, for instance).

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Glad to see this is coming along nicely.

Thanks, I appreciate that you're following my progress.

Also, looks like you might want to think about setting up an unmanned fuel depot around Duna before you send the Raven out that way, just in case...

Unmanned fuel depot? My plans are MUCH more ambitious than that... The plan is for a manned spacedock, complete with fuel storage, a rocket components warehouse, crew quarters, and spacecraft-construction equipment...

OK, so real life will be keeping me pretty busy for a while. Expect continued very slow progress for a while longer...

Regardless, I did get a burst of things done today, starting with the refueling of the Blackhawk herself. She's now fully-fueled, and carrying more than enough fuel (over 4200 m/s) to make a straight transfer to Duna even with the greatly subpar current planetary alignment...

While that was going on, I also constructed a (hopefully) Duna-capable re-entry pod for the Valkyrie, and transferred Bob and Bobbro Kerman over to it from the Munar Spacedock in preparation for their long journey to Duna... The Valkyrie still needs to dock with the module and lock it into position before it departs, so they don't get left behind, of course... I also refueled the Valkyrie at the Munar Spacedock...

The Raven Mk2 made its capture burn into a high Munar orbit- where it will soon be refueled, and then transfer to Minmus orbit. I've come to realize its chances of making Duna in this transfer window are growing increasingly slim, due to how far Duna is past the optimal transfer point. Still, I will see if I can't plot a course from Minmus orbit to Duna that fits within its Delta-V budget... (a bit over 1100 m/s fully-fueled)

Most likely, I'll either have to accept a 5+ month journey (not good for roleplaying purposes) to get the vessel there without waiting for the next transfer window, or I'll need to pull one of the hardest maneuvers I can imagine- a rendezvous with a fuel tanker in an elliptical SOLAR orbit to give the Raven enough fuel to speed up the journey from 5+ months to something more reasonable like 2 or 3...

Since the Raven is my preferred vessel for the Flying Duna Challenge, I probably won't wait for the next transfer window either way- I'll just be forced to accept a long journey (something I don't normally do for a manned vessel this small). It's not like any of my competitors are artificially limiting themselves to short transfer journeys...

Also, a fuel tanker is already on its way to intercept the Raven's Munar orbit...

Pg6Nqcq.png

Finally, I continued with my scrapping/recycling operations. I'll need all the materials I can get to establish my Mun outpost...

Someday, I look forward to posting on the landing of my first colonists on Duna. But with all the effort it's taking to get the Raven Mk2 to Duna this late in the transfer window, as well as all the remaining work that needs to be done for my Mun base, I expect it will be quite a long while before that happens still...

Regards,

Northstar

The establishment of my Munar outpost and Dunar colony is growing imminent. I need only finish up a few odds and ends...

First of all, I performed some additional scrapping/recycling operations:

HKywDRb.png

Second, I recovered Bill and Lury Kerman from orbit:

Third, I refueled the Raven Mk2 in Munar orbit:

I've been thinking about it, and I decided a Minmus refueling isn't necessarily worthwhile for the Raven. While it would allow for a faster transfer to Duna, I forgot just how long it takes to get out to Minmus from the Mun (3-5 days!) Additionally, considering from Minmus orbit I would need to shoot inwards to a close Kerbin periapsis (both to utilize the turnnig effects of Kerbin's gravity- Minmus is currently moving in the wrong direction for a direct transfer- and to make best use of the Oberth effect), as well as wait for ANOTHER refueling, that would altogether add about another 7-10 days to the total time in space...

So, while I might cut about a week off the Dunar transfer, I'd just end up adding a week in Kerbin and Minmus' SOI, as well as wasting a whole bunch of fuel and needing to design an entirely new unmanned LFO tanker design (my current LFO tanker designs are all manned, as they are only intended for occasional resupply/ crew relief missions to my orbital stations...)

A bit of playing with maneuver nodes reminded me that if the Raven leaves the Mun's SOI at the proper time (from its current 750 km Munar orbit), I could reach an apoapsis near Minmus on only about 52 m/s Delta-V, and Kerbin escape velocity for only a fraction Delta-V more. That would leave me at least 850 m/s Delta-V to achieve a Duna intercept by adding extra burn time to my Kerbin-escape burn, which should be plenty...

Expect news that the Raven Mk2 is en-route to Duna very soon!

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.