[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Hey guys, small update!

February 4th 2016
v1.3.2.7
-Fixed an issue with parachutes not having a staging icon when on the same part as one disabling the icon

February 4th 2016
v1.3.2.7
-Fixed an issue with parachutes not having a staging icon when on the same part as one disabling the icon

Please note that this update is entirely optional. I'm pushing this out for use with @sumghai's SDHI. If you are not using this mod or any mod that includes parachutes and dockingports on the same part, you most certainly do not need this update. You can update anyway, the actual code has not changed and this should not break anything.

Also, due to the removal of Mediafire links, RealChute is still hosted on KerbalStuff, with the addition of GitHub.

Cheers!

Edited by stupid_chris

I discovered completely by luck that using the kerbal attachment system to attach a RealChute Radial Chute causes a bit of weirdness. The chute isn't visibly there, there is a debris created which if you switch to seems to be invisible, and the finally the chute IS in a stage, but does nothing if you stage it.

I tested this again with the Mk2-R Radial-Mount Parachute and it worked fine (none of the symptoms I just listed). I have no idea if this problem is with RealChute or KAS/KIS, or maybe a problem in both resulting in the issue. If needed just let me know and I can go report it to the KAS/KIS thread too but as the second radial chute worked fine it seems like it may be a small bug in realchutes.

Anyway, thanks for the mod, its extremely useful to me and I definitely wouldn't wanna play without it. Cheers.

11 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

Hey guys, small update!

February 4th 2016
v1.3.2.7

February 4th 2016
v1.3.2.7

Please note that this update is entirely optional. I'm pushing this out for use with @sumghai's SDHI. If you are not using this mod or any mod that includes parachutes and dockingports on the same part, you most certainly do not need this update. You can update anyway, the actual code has not changed and this should not break anything.

Also, due to the removal of Mediafire links, RealChute is still hosted on KerbalStuff, with the addition of GitHub.

Cheers!

Going above and beyond as always - many thanks @stupid_chris!

12 hours ago, TheGreatB3 said:

Could you make it so that when parachutes are armed, they don't automatically deploy until it's safe?

If you're asking me to babysit the parachute opening sequence, no. If you want it to open on it's own, set the opening height yourself. If your reentry is normal and you don't come in from interplanetary, 1.5km predep and 700m deployment will be just fine. Else if you want it to coordinate automatically, I suggest kOS. But no, I will not make parachute deployment be "press space to land".

Hi, probably after the forum update every old link broke, could you update the "explanation of some editor window fields" link in OP?
Or just point me in the right direction.

I wanted to know more about main/drogue/drag and material differences :) Thanks!

Dearest @stupid_chris

This question may be irrelevant with RC2 coming out, but I wanted to ask anyways. 

Given 1.1 is coming out I've been looking a lot at things like StockRT and StockScansat to make it possible for my games to continue on past the version bump. The goal is to try to find ways to work awesome mods like RC into stock parts so that even if RC has to be uninstalled, ships just revert back to regular stock behavior (or if they're in orbit, they stay there with no changes because they were using the stock parts all along). 

I've been trying to make StockRealChute because to me it's impossible to play KSP without realchute. But I've had some issues accessing the new RC parts via module manager. MalahX suggested that this was because RC is using a plugin to add the parts into a new category dynamically, so we can't hide them from the UI (which we've typically done by changing their category to "none", but that's already done :)).

Do you have any ideas about how I could hide the parts from the UI? 

I won't be offended if the answer is, "@vosechu, learn to take screenshots and appreciate them when new versions are released. Be mindful of the here and now, not the future or the past." You know, if you're feeling poetic. :) 

Thank you so much for making this great mod. I recommend it to everyone and can't imagine KSP without it. In addition, I learned a great deal about parachutes because of this mod and I really appreciate that!

22 minutes ago, vosechu said:

Dearest @stupid_chris

This question may be irrelevant with RC2 coming out, but I wanted to ask anyways. 

Given 1.1 is coming out I've been looking a lot at things like StockRT and StockScansat to make it possible for my games to continue on past the version bump. The goal is to try to find ways to work awesome mods like RC into stock parts so that even if RC has to be uninstalled, ships just revert back to regular stock behavior (or if they're in orbit, they stay there with no changes because they were using the stock parts all along). 

I've been trying to make StockRealChute because to me it's impossible to play KSP without realchute. But I've had some issues accessing the new RC parts via module manager. MalahX suggested that this was because RC is using a plugin to add the parts into a new category dynamically, so we can't hide them from the UI (which we've typically done by changing their category to "none", but that's already done :)).

Do you have any ideas about how I could hide the parts from the UI? 

I won't be offended if the answer is, "@vosechu, learn to take screenshots and appreciate them when new versions are released. Be mindful of the here and now, not the future or the past." You know, if you're feeling poetic. :) 

Thank you so much for making this great mod. I recommend it to everyone and can't imagine KSP without it. In addition, I learned a great deal about parachutes because of this mod and I really appreciate that!

Hm. I could see about setting up something that would allow parts to be hidden through MM in 2.0, I'll see about it.

Hey folks,

since the water physics have been changed in KSP 1.0.5 it got kinda rediculous how any vehicle (especially planes) would maintain momentum when landing on water. This can get pretty enraging with rescue missions like from the GAP contract pack.

So I've tried to build auto-deploying drag chutes into my plane, which work fine on land, but fail to deploy on water. RealChute instantly gives me the message: "RealChute Radial Chute's parachute has been destroyed due to aero forces and heat."

My speed was low enough with 65m/s (I'm using FAR...), the touchdown was gentle and smooth and the mentioned parachute was made of kevlar.

Maybe you can help me out and tell me if i'm doing something wrong or this is a bug that might get fixed =)

2 hours ago, cordilon said:

Hey folks,

since the water physics have been changed in KSP 1.0.5 it got kinda rediculous how any vehicle (especially planes) would maintain momentum when landing on water. This can get pretty enraging with rescue missions like from the GAP contract pack.

So I've tried to build auto-deploying drag chutes into my plane, which work fine on land, but fail to deploy on water. RealChute instantly gives me the message: "RealChute Radial Chute's parachute has been destroyed due to aero forces and heat."

My speed was low enough with 65m/s (I'm using FAR...), the touchdown was gentle and smooth and the mentioned parachute was made of kevlar.

Maybe you can help me out and tell me if i'm doing something wrong or this is a bug that might get fixed =)

Is the base of the parachute very close to the water? By that I mean the container? If it goes within one meter of the surface of the water, even for part of a second, it'll assume the parachute is partially underwater, and since FAR simulates water drag through aero drag, that explains it. It creates a ridiculous drag spike and poof, off your parachute goes. Which, to be fair, makes sense. If the base of your parachute touches the water, it won't sink in and rip apart, but it will most certainly collapse on itself and probably cause a few wires to snap. In the end the result is the same, the deployment will fail.

Which means stick your parachutes higher so they do not approach the surface.

8 hours ago, cordilon said:

Hey folks,

since the water physics have been changed in KSP 1.0.5 it got kinda rediculous how any vehicle (especially planes) would maintain momentum when landing on water. This can get pretty enraging with rescue missions like from the GAP contract pack...

Try putting an aero-brake on the underside of the craft? If you put it on the normal way round then it might tend to push the craft out of the water, but if you put it on back-to-front then it will tend to dig the craft in.

@stupid_chris thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even know, FAR changed the way water is handled in KSP. So I modified the plane in question and gave it an insanely tall tailfin, to which the parachutes then were attached. They were at least 8m above the ground/water at all times, but sadly the same thing happened.

WTAAuHi.png

@softweir I went with your idea for now. It was a little tricky to find the right spot for the aerobreaks, though ; )

Edited by cordilon

I've been using this mod for sometime (I think .25?) and just wanted to say: Thanks @stupid_chris.

Thanks for supporting this mod for as long as you have, and thanks for answering our questions on this forum. As a thanks I've sent you a coffee.

Can't wait for v2!

Edited by DrTrunks

4 hours ago, cordilon said:

@stupid_chris thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even know, FAR changed the way water is handled in KSP. So I modified the plane in question and gave it an insanely tall tailfin, to which the parachutes then were attached. They were at least 8m above the ground/water at all times, but sadly the same thing happened

Strange. I'll look it up.

53 minutes ago, Speedster159 said:

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but can we have heat shielded casings or way to integrate them inside heat shielded parts? I often find my parachutes overheating on entry.

You parachutes should be shielded by a pod in a reentry scenario.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.