[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

16 minutes ago, MaxRebo said:

@Starwaster Just out of curiosity, how would one correctly make sense of your commits being aimed at "KSP 1.3"? Did I miss something...?

Well, offhand, I'd say it's either a typo or you apparently missed an entire developmental cycle for the next major KSP update from QA to Experimentals to full 1.3 release!!!

(Pssst, spoiler alert! it was a typo....)

2 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

I kind of figured, but you were consistent enough to make me really question my sanity :confused:

Thanks for stepping in as a maintainer btw. Much appreciated.

Well, I use it too, so I had to gets my Real Chute on, right?

Edited by Starwaster

KSP 1.2 Release

@Starwaster Starwaster released this 11 minutes ago

KSP 1.2 compatibility update

• Use part.addForceAtPosition instead of calling rigidbody functions (1.2 specific compatibility changes)
  • Updated versioning in RealChute.version and assembly property files
  • Fixed mispelled field name in compatibility checker (_version)
  • Fixed toolbar button showing up in Flight. (broke in 1.2)

2 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

I see the source download links, but not the precompiled .zip.  Was that an oversight, or did I jump the gun looking?

Crap, Github does that to me sometimes. Maybe I saved before the file finished uploading but that's not usually an issue....

Fixing it now. It's safe to go grab the file

Edited by Starwaster

On 10/12/2016 at 11:42 AM, lajoswinkler said:

*obligatory petty screaming at modders for not giving out the links few minutes after the update*

:)

... and then people wonder why I'm distancing myself from KSP. This is a pretty sad attitude.

Anyway, OP updated, and download now on SpaceDock as well. Enjoy!

48 minutes ago, stupid_chris said:

... and then people wonder why I'm distancing myself from KSP. This is a pretty sad attitude.

Anyway, OP updated, and download now on SpaceDock as well. Enjoy!

Um, it was a joke, mocking the people who do that. Hence the asterisks and "petty" and the smiley. Three clues. :)

Anyway, thanks for the update!

@stupid_chris I really like this mod but I really wish the chutes would deploy going upwards or even better just a setting to allow it on a chutes settings. Apart from just liking that behaviour since it's what really happens when you open a chute going up. (parachutes only care about air moving under the canopy and not the direction they are facing) but I also use the stock feature for various practical and fun things. Like ripping boosters away from certain engines firing before they blow them up and by proxy blow up the engine and cause a cascade. Or to just plain rip things apart for the hell of it. Otherwise a great mod but since I'm trained into stock chutes I feel the benefit of smarter "real" parachutes outweighs the fun and practicality I am used to having. That and it just doesn't make sense. If you are moving through the air and you deploy a chute it will always drag behind you. I had a few moments of panic the first time I realised thinking I'd done something wrong.

And it doesn't still do that thing where if you are dragging a chute around behind you in a plane (which is fun if you have the chute in the right places) and you start rising it cuts the chute does it? That will end it for me I haven't had a chance to test that yet because I just thought about it.

39 minutes ago, ThatHomelessGuy said:

@stupid_chris I really like this mod but I really wish the chutes would deploy going upwards or even better just a setting to allow it on a chutes settings. Apart from just liking that behaviour since it's what really happens when you open a chute going up. (parachutes only care about air moving under the canopy and not the direction they are facing) but I also use the stock feature for various practical and fun things. Like ripping boosters away from certain engines firing before they blow them up and by proxy blow up the engine and cause a cascade. Or to just plain rip things apart for the hell of it. Otherwise a great mod but since I'm trained into stock chutes I feel the benefit of smarter "real" parachutes outweighs the fun and practicality I am used to having. That and it just doesn't make sense. If you are moving through the air and you deploy a chute it will always drag behind you. I had a few moments of panic the first time I realised thinking I'd done something wrong.

And it doesn't still do that thing where if you are dragging a chute around behind you in a plane (which is fun if you have the chute in the right places) and you start rising it cuts the chute does it? That will end it for me I haven't had a chance to test that yet because I just thought about it.

You can tell it to deploy only allow for going down, OR allow at any time, up down sideways etc...

top of the parameters when you select the realchute object from the action group page.  example menu

That ability has been with RC as long as i can remember.

Cheers.

Edited by drtedastro

33 minutes ago, drtedastro said:

You can tell it to deploy only allow for going down, OR allow at any time, up down sideways etc...

top of the parameters when you select the realchute object from the action group page.  example menu

That ability has been with RC as long as i can remember.

Cheers.

Thanks I broke my last save and haven't gotten to the point of action groups in my new save with realchutes installed so I neither saw it nor did I expect it to be hidden in the action groups menu as I rarely action group chutes for any reason at all so I probably never would have selected a chute on purpose with the action group menu open. Normally these menu's are available from other mods with the little blue buttons on the right click context menu in the VAB where I expected such options to be if they existed or are just a button somewhere in the VAB.

On 10/18/2016 at 3:28 AM, ThatHomelessGuy said:

Thanks I broke my last save and haven't gotten to the point of action groups in my new save with realchutes installed so I neither saw it nor did I expect it to be hidden in the action groups menu as I rarely action group chutes for any reason at all so I probably never would have selected a chute on purpose with the action group menu open. Normally these menu's are available from other mods with the little blue buttons on the right click context menu in the VAB where I expected such options to be if they existed or are just a button somewhere in the VAB.

That's why there is a a video AND a FAQ in the OP.

2 hours ago, ThatHomelessGuy said:

I read the FAQ and my question wasn't apparently a frequent one. I also can't find this video you are on about. I just checked again and I can't see it. So yeah.  

The mod does the things you want it to (and maybe more) if you configure the chute properly. If you're in career mode and haven't upgraded enough to access the menus then unfortunately you're just going to have to wait until you have access. Maybe that'll change someday in the future but the reality of things right now is that the menu is coded to appear when the AG menu appears.

If you can't see a video in the OP then you didn't look very hard. Or do you just not see embedded Youtube videos on these forums?

Edited by Starwaster

22 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

The mod does the things you want it to (and maybe more) if you configure the chute properly. If you're in career mode and haven't upgraded enough to access the menus then unfortunately you're just going to have to wait until you have access. Maybe that'll change someday in the future but the reality of things right now is that the menu is coded to appear when the AG menu appears.

If you can't see a video in the OP then you didn't look very hard. Or do you just not see embedded Youtube videos on these forums?

I got it now, it doesn't need to be explained 3 times, I'm not stupid I just find the info difficult to find. I can't seem to get realchutes to actually do their job all of a sudden since asking and I haven't even messed with the action groups or anything I still haven't even opened the menu. I had 2 successful prearmed descents and then I asked this question and suddenly the same ship with the same ascent and descent profiles just won't deploy when expected, the chute icon goes red but the background is not red when I hit the ground. It's all red during reentry but the chutes never get the heat bars so I don't seem to be getting heat damage and the background of the chute icon goes back to normal under 15km but the chute icon itself stays red. I have also found that staging seems to arm all or most of the chutes on the rocket now too even if they aren't in that stage. Well I get the message saying can't deploy waiting for velocity to move downwards or something like that with the ascent speed under it come up mid screen and the icon background for ALL my chutes are showing they are armed. The funny thing is while it says they are armed in staging they aren't armed in the right click menu and arming them manually seems to have no effect on wether they deploy or not. I'm sure under 200 m/s under 2km up the chutes should deploy at some point but no the capsule just slams into the ocean with a boom and a splash.

I can see videos normally yes I just looked at the post in chrome now and I can see it with that browser. Strange really. Is there an ad script or something on the video by any chance? The only thing I can thin is adblock might be suppressing it.

Edited by ThatHomelessGuy

49 minutes ago, ThatHomelessGuy said:

zI got it now, it doesn't need to be explained 3 times, I'm not stupid I just find the info difficult to find. I can't seem to get realchutes to actually do their job all of a sudden since asking and I haven't even messed with the action groups or anything I still haven't even opened the menu. I had 2 successful prearmed descents and then I asked this question and suddenly the same ship with the same ascent and descent profiles just won't deploy when expected, the chute icon goes red but the background is not red when I hit the ground. It's all red during reentry but the chutes never get the heat bars so I don't seem to be getting heat damage and the background of the chute icon goes back to normal under 15km but the chute icon itself stays red. I have also found that staging seems to arm all or most of the chutes on the rocket now too even if they aren't in that stage. Well I get the message saying can't deploy waiting for velocity to move downwards or something like that with the ascent speed under it come up mid screen and the icon background for ALL my chutes are showing they are armed. The funny thing is while it says they are armed in staging they aren't armed in the right click menu and arming them manually seems to have no effect on wether they deploy or not. I'm sure under 200 m/s under 2km up the chutes should deploy at some point but no the capsule just slams into the ocean with a boom and a splash.

I can see videos normally yes I just looked at the post in chrome now and I can see it with that browser. Strange really. Is there an ad script or something on the video by any chance? The only thing I can thin is adblock might be suppressing it.

Red chute icon means it deployed and was destroyed. (or auto-cut but that doesn't apply in your case)

The heat bar only indicates part temperature. The chute's temperature is tracked independently by Real Chute. So KSP part heat is irrelevant here). Toggle info on the chute part and check the deploy altitude or pressure and adjust it if it needs it.

Re: Staging, no idea. doesn't do that to me. repro with freshly assembled craft and post logs

27 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Red chute icon means it deployed and was destroyed. (or auto-cut but that doesn't apply in your case)

The heat bar only indicates part temperature. The chute's temperature is tracked independently by Real Chute. So KSP part heat is irrelevant here). Toggle info on the chute part and check the deploy altitude or pressure and adjust it if it needs it.

Re: Staging, no idea. doesn't do that to me. repro with freshly assembled craft and post logs

Ok cool I checked that rocket and the deployment alt is 30km and the opening alt is 700m seems not at all like how it was behaving before though the 700m seems accurate. Another new ship and the staging issue is gone with that one so that's good. Any advice on a good deployment alt? I really wonder why It worked the first 2 times but not the last 8 times. Descent profile is 100km orbit to a 35km periapsis. Let it degrade naturally into an atmospheric capture and just wait for it to do its job. Same ship same resources launched from the ksc screen and not from the VAB bar the very first launch and one experiment to see if the source of the launch changed anything. Pressure was set to 0.1 or 0.01 can't remember it just crashed tabbing in and out but well below the atmo pressure at 10km. The chute was set for altitude anyway.

1 hour ago, ThatHomelessGuy said:

Ok cool I checked that rocket and the deployment alt is 30km and the opening alt is 700m seems not at all like how it was behaving before though the 700m seems accurate. Another new ship and the staging issue is gone with that one so that's good. Any advice on a good deployment alt? I really wonder why It worked the first 2 times but not the last 8 times. Descent profile is 100km orbit to a 35km periapsis. Let it degrade naturally into an atmospheric capture and just wait for it to do its job. Same ship same resources launched from the ksc screen and not from the VAB bar the very first launch and one experiment to see if the source of the launch changed anything. Pressure was set to 0.1 or 0.01 can't remember it just crashed tabbing in and out but well below the atmo pressure at 10km. The chute was set for altitude anyway.

If it's just a simple capsule then it should have slowed enough by 7 km even for main chutes. If it's something heavy and you're low supersonic at that altitude, then drogues.

Most players don't want to do a full deployment up high and I guess I don't blame them, but 700m feels too low to me, so 1km for full deployment. 

If you DO use pressure for the predeploy then 0.35 - 0.5. 0.1 you may well be too fast still. 

For comparison, Apollo was deploying its drogues at 7.2 and its mains at ~3km (though chute deployment was pressure based and automatically armed when the capsule separated IIRC)