[1.2.x] Estes Model Rocket Parachutes

narhiril

I made an add-on like this in the very early days of KSP for personal use, so I thought I may as well update it for 1.2 and release it to anyone else who might want it.

This is a pack of parachutes based on the designs of model rocket parachutes over the years - predominately from the Estes company.  Parachutes are functionally identical to the stock mk1 parachute aside from also being radially attachable.

-Estes Red (10") parachute
-Estes Orange (12") parachute
-Estes Purple (18") parachute
-Estes 'Retro' parachute
-Quest Yellow+Red parachute

Image Gallery:

Spoiler

SGFA0IH.png
mbp7Khd.png
leQqVVd.png
aXBQBd8.png

Changelog:

v1.1 (1/23/17) 
-added Quest Yellow+Red parachute.
-parachutes are now radially attachable

v1.0
-initial release

Pick it up here: https://spacedock.info/mod/1033/Estes Parachute Pack

Source: https://github.com/narhiril/Estes-Model-Rocket-Parachutes

(also available on CKAN)

Licensed under 88x31.png

Edited by narhiril
Update to 1.2.2, new images

I really like the look! Will have to use these at some point soon!

One idea though, how about making more color combinations even if they are not realistic to those kits?

I'm currently working on versions of the "checkerboard" parachutes from the 1960's, but I'm certainly open to the idea. Got any requests?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious why you added different deploy heights and minor changes on here and there on each one of the parts? Why didn't you keep them universally the same?

I made an add-on like this in the very early days of KSP for personal use, so I thought I may as well update it for 0.22 and release it to anyone else who might want it.

This is a pack of four parachutes based on the designs of Estes model rocket parachutes over the years. The first three are inspired by the red (10"), orange (12"), and purple (18") striped parachutes used in Estes kits when I was growing up. The fourth is a black-and-red "retro" parachute based on the parachutes in kits that my dad built in the 70's and 80's. The parachutes have some slight differences in their descent profiles and deployment altitudes, but are mostly similar to the stock Mk16. Currently there aren't any radial versions of these, but I'll consider making some if they are requested.

mbp7Khd.png

Download on Spaceport.

Licensed under 88x31.png

I'm curious why you added different deploy heights and minor changes on here and there on each one of the parts? Why didn't you keep them universally the same?

The only reason that comes to mind is "for the heck of it".

• 2 years later...

Apologies for the necromancy, but I thought it was more appropriate than making a whole new thread for it.  I've updated this mod to be compatible with KSP 1.2 and also did a flavortext and texture pass - you can now tell which color parachute you've got even when undeployed/in editor.

New download link in the OP - also should be coming very soon to CKAN.

Very cool.

I grew up basically next door to Estes Industries in the 60's.

Vern Estes was a good family friend.  Always brought big box of "seconds" to family dinners. Nose cones, body tubes, fin materials and  engines that had ink smear.

Many, many days / weeks / years of fun with those rockets.

Nice to see this mod.

Other than it reminds me how many years have gone by.

Cheers.

This recalls memories of my Estes days.  Fused canopies because I used too little wadding.  What would be really funny would be being able to build suborbital rockets and have them break in two with the parachute attached to the rear of a nosecone. (Just musing, I know that's beyond what you're up to here).

I remember having a fabric chute too for my V2.  But I can't recall what it looked like...  That V2 was an Estes Comet model, which they made from the same parts.  They added a 50s style window frame to the nose cone and reshaped the fins for the Comet.  I had access to a lathe and carefully shaved the window frame off, the glued the laser cut fin sheets back together and cut V2 shaped fins out of the sheets.  IIRC I also had to shorten the body tube a bit, but in the end I had a V2, as if built from a then out of production Estes V2 kit.

Estes-Comet-V2.jpg

Edited by tg626

Downloading just because its so darn cool!

Y'know narhiril, you know you're going to have to make 'chutes or Quest, CRC, Canaroc, CTI, Aerotech, etc....

Yeah, rocket geek here. :wink:

All of the Aerotech rockets I have always used pretty plain solid-color parachutes.  If Aerotech has a parachute design I'm simply not aware of, I'd be very interested in making that.  I grew up on Estes and Aerotech before I got into high power (Giant Leap, PML).  I don't have CTI hardware so I pretty much exclusively fly Aerotech reloads nowadays for anything higher than an F.

Looking back though, Quest made a pretty cool parachute that I think I could probably do a skin for.  I remember having one CRC kit (the Razor, with the tube fins) that I could take a look at the chute for as well.  I'm not that familiar with Canaroc, might have to look into them.

que7810.jpg

Edited by narhiril

• 2 months later...

Just another quick update - I can see no reason why this shouldn't work in 1.2.2.  I haven't given it a bump on CKAN yet, but you should be all clear to use it.

I've had an abnormally taxing holiday season and what little free time I've had has been going towards a planet pack that I'm working on.  I am, however, finally getting around to finishing a Quest parachute texture.  Expect to see that coming in a day or two.

That's look like a cool mod :)

I have a question tho, all the parachute are the same size, same aerodynamic behavior ? Just the texture differ ? If so, would you consider using a texture switcher mod, like Firespitter ? You could make it so you only have one part with 5 switchable textures (stock + yours), it will help de-clutter the utility tab :wink:

On 1/18/2017 at 10:28 AM, Li0n said:

That's look like a cool mod :)

I have a question tho, all the parachute are the same size, same aerodynamic behavior ? Just the texture differ ? If so, would you consider using a texture switcher mod, like Firespitter ? You could make it so you only have one part with 5 switchable textures (stock + yours), it will help de-clutter the utility tab :wink:

I actually hadn't considered that.  I'd be happy to look into doing that, though I'd like to get the essentially finished Quest parachute released first.

My schedule is a bit busy tonight and tomorrow but here's a preview of the Quest chute.  Chutes will also be radially attachable in the next release - that they weren't already was an oversight on my part.

5ScICCg.png

10 hours ago, narhiril said:

I actually hadn't considered that.  I'd be happy to look into doing that, though I'd like to get the essentially finished Quest parachute released first.

Don't rush. Thanks again for this mod.

V1.1 is up on Spacedock and marked for update on CKAN (this may take a little while to go live). 

I've still got a few reference images for new skins and I also am planning to look into using Firespitter to consolidate parts into a single parachute with skins chosen through tweakables.  I'm not completely thrilled with having a dependency for a mod as small and simple as this, but if I continue to add more chutes, the parts clutter is set to get really out of hand.  I guess anyone running more than the smallest handful of mods is going to have Firespitter anyway.

Edited by narhiril

On 2017-01-19 at 2:16 PM, narhiril said:

My schedule is a bit busy tonight and tomorrow but here's a preview of the Quest chute.  Chutes will also be radially attachable in the next release - that they weren't already was an oversight on my part.

5ScICCg.png

Nice!

13 hours ago, narhiril said:

V1.1 is up on Spacedock and marked for update on CKAN (this may take a little while to go live). 

I've still got a few reference images for new skins and I also am planning to look into using Firespitter to consolidate parts into a single parachute with skins chosen through tweakables.  I'm not completely thrilled with having a dependency for a mod as small and simple as this, but if I continue to add more chutes, the parts clutter is set to get really out of hand.  I guess anyone running more than the smallest handful of mods is going to have Firespitter anyway.

I think you can have Firespitter as an optional dependency, thanks to ModuleManager. You bundle your mod the way you did it, aka multiple part. In the MM patch, if Firespitter is present, you add the switch texture module to the stock parachute then delete your parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.