KSP Orbital Calculator [V0.10.1] - Now with selectable Celestrial Bodies

Yea, the Calculator seems a bit off, i just made one in C++ if any1 wishs to give it a shot. Take in mind its very, very simple and was not ment to look good, but the numbers are right.

(if it dosn\'t run you need to update your microsoft .net framework)

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20991724/Mun+Orbit+Calculator+v0.1.exe

UPDATE V0.10:

Added support for more celestrial bodies in the orbit calculations (KEarth, Mun*, Sun*)

* Data on these Celestrial Bodies needs to be confirmed

It doesn\'t look like the calculator is using the correct mass for the Mun. Looking at the source, I believe you\'re using 8.267125E+20 for Munar mass and 1.379 for surface gravity. (And 200km for the radius, which is correct.) Experiments have pretty conclusively concluded Munar mass to be 9.760e20 kg, corresponding to a 1.628 m/s^2 surface gravity.

See my post here which contains the consensus data from the experimental measurements from several (3-4) kerbonauts.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I\'m going to completely redo the calculator and put transfer orbits high on my list.

I don\'t want to step on Warringer\'s toes, but I just published version 1.0 of my orbital calculator (KSP Orbit Mechanic) with full transfer orbit capabilities. It provides a robust minimum-fuel transfer analysis complete for Hohmann and Bi-elliptic transfer schemes. More specifically, it will compare the two transfer methods and analyze which option provides the minimum-fuel solution, and the time-penalty associated with the bi-elliptic scheme, for the transfer variables provided (i.e. initial altitude, target altitude, terminal radius ratio, and midcourse radius ratio).

It also solves for the intercept condition and will provide the user with the relative lead/lag angle required to intercept an orbital target (like a satellite or the Mun).

Hohmann Transfer Analysis:

XoGmW.jpg

Also included:

- Circular and elliptical orbit determination

- Astronomical object reference library with real celestial bodies added for meaningful comparisons

- Reference graphics for the intercept condition, Hohmann transfers, and bi-elliptic transfers.

I will add a patched conic analysis tab in future iterations. Although significant in any study of Orbital Mechanics, the patched conic approach will not become truly useful in KSP until additional astronomical objects (like a Venus or Mars equivalent) are added. Also, I do not currently have plans to add support for rocket assembly tools (e.g. KSP part references, optimal staging, etc.). Rather, I would prefer to shape KSP Orbit Mechanic into a dedicated orbital analysis tool.

Thanks for the kind words, Warringer. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I believe your calculator still has something to offer. I have no plans to add staging or rocket design components to KSP Orbit Mechanic, and your tool already has that capability.

My goal with the project was to build a dedicated orbit analysis and determination tool. It was conceived in part by using your calculator, and wanting to expand upon a great idea. All of the code and graphics are original, and I used my Orbital Mechanics textbook from graduate school to re-derive all of the necessary theoretical equations (e.g. bi-elliptic transfers).

About a month ago I sent you a PM with an offer to collaborate on this project and, to some extent, that offer is still on the table. I\'m working on version 1.1 of KSP Orbit Mechanic now; it will feature a significantly improved GUI, plane change maneuvers (orbit cranking/inclined orbits), and more robust support features.

Please let me know if you\'re interested. ;)

About a month ago I sent you a PM with an offer to collaborate on this project and, to some extent, that offer is still on the table. I\'m working on version 1.1 of KSP Orbit Mechanic now; it will feature a significantly improved GUI, plane change maneuvers (orbit cranking/inclined orbits), and more robust support features.

Please let me know if you\'re interested. ;)

I\'ll think about it. :)

The Mun\'s altitude above Kerbin is 11400 km. If you start from a circular parking orbit around Kerbin of 150 km, this works out to be a terminal radius ratio of 16.

Basically, you just need to execute a Hohmann transfer from your starting circular orbit that will intercept the Mun\'s circular orbit at 11400 km.

Here\'s all the data you should need (with Mun parameters already inserted). Good luck!

Hohmann Transfer Analysis:

tOFAZ.jpg

Hohmann Transfer Diagram:

LEqVs.jpg

Intercept Condition:

rBx5K.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At the moment, I don\'t see what I could include what WX did not already add to his calculator.

I did take the offer, to program a 3D orbit display, but there was not much in the way of response.

0.10.2, now with correct spelling of 'celestial'?

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.